Message Boards

Topic : Picky Eaters

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:19:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child a picky eater? Share your tips, tricks, and menu ideas to help your child eat right, and enjoy it.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 7, 2007, 5:43 am CST

Picky Eaters

Ah, the battle over food, the one thing a child can control is what and when they eat, even a newborn infant knows when they're hungry and when they are not, and they have definite likes and dislikes.

Out of three children, only one turned out to imitate my eating habits, which admittadly, are not great.  The two eldest will eat anything that won't eat them first, and are always open to trying new foods, my youngest, well different story.

Both he and I have real food adversions.  If the food looks funny, smells strange or looks the least bit overdone, slimy etc.  It dosen't go past our teeth, he's 15 now, and eats like a normal teenage boy, try filling him, but he and I eat the same things, mostly fruits and vegetables, and a little bit of meat, and yes junk does get in there, but only in moderation I control what comes in the house.

I think we as parents have to look at our own eating habits before we can judge our children as picky.  Are you open to new food ?  If you are served something that looks strange do you make faces at it ?  Sometimes we give off these signals without even realizing it.  Do you eat breakfast, and if you do is it balanced, or is it a cup of coffee and a piece of toast ?  Do you eat dinner as a family, giving children choices what I mean is not becoming a short order cook, but allow them to help plan the family meal, "we can have hot dogs tonight, but we have to have carrots with it, would you like them cooked or raw ?"  Even young children like to have some choices, and like I said, food is one thing they can control for themselves.

Sitting down as a family, turning off the TV, letting the answering machine pick up the phone, telling friends and family that dinnertime is for the family, and you will not be taking calls or visitors during that hour, leave the cell phone in the other room, and really re connect, Unless someone is working, the family meal is almost sacred at my house and it has helped, my son and I get distracted with the conversation, and don't realize what we are eating.  Not bringing up problems through the day, but keep the conversation light, and make clean up a family affair as well, even a two year old can learn to put dishes in the sink or dishwasher with supervision.

As for young children worrying about weight, again, how do you respond to overweight children and adults ?  They take their cues from us, part of being their most IMPORTANT role models not models, actors, singers whatever, it is us and we can't expect them to have good eating habits if we don't.

Routine and cosistency were my best friends when the kids were small, and they learned to listen to their bodies, they were NEVER forced to eat, but they were made to sit with the family for meals, and "if you can't eat your meal (too full, sore tummy I've heard them all) then you can't eat cookies or desert " then stick to it, if you are worried about them starving, offer a piece of fruit or veggie, but desert and cookies etc. are treats and not the mainstay of a healthy diet.

My trick when my son got about six, he would say  "I want a sandwich, " we would say fine, "go make it, Mom only makes one meal for everyone. "  It was amazing, he wasn't getting his way, and he ate what was on his plate.

March 10, 2007, 10:08 am CST

My four year olds diet

I am worried about my four year old son. His weight to me is very unhealthy. But when we got to the doctors they never comment on it. He weighs 48 pounds and is short for his age. Ever since he was a baby he would rather fill up on fluids then eat anything. And now that he is four I have found he does the same thing. He will also when he eats he'll eat his food then if his sister didnt finish and we dont see that shes done right away he will also try and eat hers. We have completely taken away any type of sweets from him. And I have tried getting him to snack on healthier things such as fruit and veggies but he refuses to touch them. I am at my wits end with him. I am terrified that if he doesnt lose weight that  he will end up with diabetes or worse. My daughter is two and shes the complete opposite she is so tiny and eats like crazy and doesnt gain an ounce. I need help!
Christine

March 10, 2007, 5:00 pm CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: blueaquad

I am worried about my four year old son. His weight to me is very unhealthy. But when we got to the doctors they never comment on it. He weighs 48 pounds and is short for his age. Ever since he was a baby he would rather fill up on fluids then eat anything. And now that he is four I have found he does the same thing. He will also when he eats he'll eat his food then if his sister didnt finish and we dont see that shes done right away he will also try and eat hers. We have completely taken away any type of sweets from him. And I have tried getting him to snack on healthier things such as fruit and veggies but he refuses to touch them. I am at my wits end with him. I am terrified that if he doesnt lose weight that  he will end up with diabetes or worse. My daughter is two and shes the complete opposite she is so tiny and eats like crazy and doesnt gain an ounce. I need help!
Christine
My daughter is 4 and weighs 40 lbs, maybe more by now as she hasn't been weighed for a while. I don't think your son is unhealthy at this point. Don't buy unhealthy foods and don't do fast food. Is he active? if so, then you probably don't have a problem here. My daughter eats when she's hungry and knows when she is full. If I feel that she isn't getting enough of the healthy foods, I make an attempt to give it to her, she doesn't like brocoli but will eat it if it is all chopped up and mixed in with chicken flavored rice. Be creative but don't stress, don't provide junk and make sure he gets exercise. get some fresh fruits and make smoothies/milk shakes using lowfat milk. lowfat everything. mix some fruit into some lowfat jello.................

March 12, 2007, 2:51 pm CDT

force feeding

Quote From: erinsacco2

my son always has acted up and meal time, should i force him to eat? .....if he dont eat breakfest, should i force him? what if hes hungry  when it is not the time to eat? we typically have a bad behavior problem, mostly in pre-school or in public! at home i think we can deal with it. but at times it gets pretty bad. so this is why i wonder if i should force him to eat because im scared if he dont eat then he will have a much worse day? erin
I feel pretty strongly against forcing a child to eat their food.  I've read that there are only three things that our children really have control over in their world, eating, sleeping and pottying.  It is our job as parents to provide the food for our children, and it is their responsibility to eat it.  If they choose not to, they will feel the hunger pains later when the food is not available.  It is a natural consequence. 
I would suggest explaining to your child that you are not going to fight with him about his food intake.  Let him know that it is up to him to eat his food and that he will be the one that has to deal with the hunger pains later if he decides to not eat it.  I know the teachers at his school will probably have a few hard days, maybe let them know what is going on so they can remind him that his tummy hurts because he skipped breakfast.  He will most likely eat a great lunch and eventually he might decide that it does not serve him well to refuse his breakfast. 
I hope it all works out for you soon.
Jenny

March 12, 2007, 9:04 pm CDT

thank you!

Quote From: jettav

My daughter is 4 and weighs 40 lbs, maybe more by now as she hasn't been weighed for a while. I don't think your son is unhealthy at this point. Don't buy unhealthy foods and don't do fast food. Is he active? if so, then you probably don't have a problem here. My daughter eats when she's hungry and knows when she is full. If I feel that she isn't getting enough of the healthy foods, I make an attempt to give it to her, she doesn't like brocoli but will eat it if it is all chopped up and mixed in with chicken flavored rice. Be creative but don't stress, don't provide junk and make sure he gets exercise. get some fresh fruits and make smoothies/milk shakes using lowfat milk. lowfat everything. mix some fruit into some lowfat jello.................
 Thank you so much! I will definately try the smoothies. I think he may go for that. Yeah he is very active Im for ever yelling at him to calm down LOL. He is all over the place from the minute he wakes up to the minute he goes to bed. Hopefully it's just a phase. : ) Thankx again!

April 25, 2007, 3:05 pm CDT

Call to pray

My son Daniel is on life support and needs prayers.  Just this morning he woke up with a sniffle and then collapsed.  I gave him CPR but he has not regained concsienceness.  Please pray for my son, these next twenty four hours are crucial!

May 31, 2007, 11:33 pm CDT

picky eaters

i'm having problem with son right now, I can say that he is really a picky eater. I'm having a hard time with this one until i tried some tips on  http://www.mommyclub.ca/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,291/func,view/id,3261/catid,159/

and so far so good.

June 3, 2007, 7:50 pm CDT

My Daughter Won't Eat!

I have a 4 yr. old daughter that won't eat. I have read the posts about not forcing, and I'm not sure if I'm forcing or not! For the past 3 nights, this is the tactic we have implemented...

Breakfast... cereal(her 1st choice for every meal) on most days, with some waffles or something else similar here and there. Sometimes she eats, sometimes not... I just make her put her dish away at the end of breakfast. Milk (chocolate) or OJ to drink
She'll want more to drink.... only water til the next meal... usually turning it down

She'll ask for lunch, because she didn't eat enough for breakfast (3 hours ealier)
Lunch.... same EVERY day...but I don't mind. Cut up apples with peanut butter, carrots, celery w/ pb, another kind of fruit (grapes, strawberry, banana, kiwi, melon...you name it) She'll eat most of it, and when she cleans 90% of her plate, she gets a cookie or some kind of dessert. If she does not eat, she has to wait until dinner to eat again, and doesn't get a snack a little later. (is that bad?) Sometimes I think she'd rather hold out for a snack!

Snack... granola bar w/ choc chips, or cookie, or goldfish cracker, graham cracker...

Dinner...used to be cereal... this is where the problem lies.
I'll fix, let's say, grilled cheese, bananas, and carrots. Won't touch the plate. Says she's moving to Africa tomorrow. I won't feed her the rest of the night. She's so hungry! She'll spend 2+ hours crying that she wants "something else". I only offer to cook another grilled cheese, cause I threw the last one out.
Then we put her to bed screaming because she's hungry.

Will it get better? We let her know that she has the power over her hunger. She can choose to be hungry, or she can choose to eat dinner. I think she's holding out for breakfast, so tonight I told her no cereal for her if she doesn't have dinner the night before.

Please someone help! I've seen some awesome advice here. And I know some of you mom's (and dad's) can put things into a whole new perspective.... Hopefully I can get some constructive critisism here!

I feel like I need Dr. Phil to put a camera in my home just to show me play-by-play what I can be doing different!

Thanks
Mom in KC

June 5, 2007, 6:57 am CDT

Picky Eaters

Quote From: missy77

you are doing good, but I would make her eat the same thing you are making for the rest of the familly, You are not a chef, you are, well yes, we are chefs, doctor, taxi,  wife, mother blablalba.... but you should not have to cook 2 seperat meals everytime, if she does not eat what's on her plate, tough luck!!

I find you are doing a good job!!!! just make one meal for the familly, that's it!! she will not starve herself, she'll eat before she'll let herself die!!!!

I was hoping you would respond! I liked your advice on the last couple questions I saw!
Well, I make the same thing for my 2yr old son and my daughter, but for the rest of us... I'm on Nutrisystem, and my husband is never home in time for dinner.  So, basically, I am doing just one thing. -NOW-  I wasn't before.
So to update....
It's been torture. She went almost 24 hrs. with nothing but water! By 9:00 yesterday morning, she was lifeless and sleeping on the entryway floor! She never lays down! I got scared, so I put a call into the doctor. I thought she was going to pass out or something. She refused to eat pancakes! Who refuses a pancake? Anyway, by 9 I was nervous so I got out a "snack" of fruit cocktail. I knew she was never really fond of it in the past, she prefers the "real" fruit. So I thought maybe it would be a small compromise. Before she ate the snack she was up and saying "Oh, I'm feeling better now... I think I can eat something" I'd been scammed.
But at least she was alive....

Then, grilled cheese with some apples for lunch...Nothing, the apples were on the same plate as the sandwich, so not even those....

Woke up from nap and begged me to make the pancakes again. She promised she would eat them this time. This would be the 3rd time I did pancakes for her that day! I made them, she ate them and asked for more. She must have been starving.

So one battle sort of won..........But getting her to eat a different form of sugar (maple syrup) is not a huge victory in my book!

PB&J for dinner.....nothing.... went to bed hungry. No cereal for breakfast because of it.
But now the waffles and pancakes are an amazing sub for the cereal, so she doesn't mind.

I'm now just focusing on lunch and dinners...just don't know if it's gonna work.
I keep telling her that we HAVE to eat these foods to give us energy for the summer. We won't be able to swim, play outside, play sports....etc. if we have no energy! I'm wondering if I should tie those activities together more and withhold swimming if no lunch? Saying it's not safe if you don't have the energy to stay in the pool?
I don't know.
I like your advice, so please keep it coming!

btw-i lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks so far!
Thanks
Marianne

June 5, 2007, 7:34 am CDT

Picky Eaters

Quote From: smarecas

I was hoping you would respond! I liked your advice on the last couple questions I saw!
Well, I make the same thing for my 2yr old son and my daughter, but for the rest of us... I'm on Nutrisystem, and my husband is never home in time for dinner.  So, basically, I am doing just one thing. -NOW-  I wasn't before.
So to update....
It's been torture. She went almost 24 hrs. with nothing but water! By 9:00 yesterday morning, she was lifeless and sleeping on the entryway floor! She never lays down! I got scared, so I put a call into the doctor. I thought she was going to pass out or something. She refused to eat pancakes! Who refuses a pancake? Anyway, by 9 I was nervous so I got out a "snack" of fruit cocktail. I knew she was never really fond of it in the past, she prefers the "real" fruit. So I thought maybe it would be a small compromise. Before she ate the snack she was up and saying "Oh, I'm feeling better now... I think I can eat something" I'd been scammed.
But at least she was alive....

Then, grilled cheese with some apples for lunch...Nothing, the apples were on the same plate as the sandwich, so not even those....

Woke up from nap and begged me to make the pancakes again. She promised she would eat them this time. This would be the 3rd time I did pancakes for her that day! I made them, she ate them and asked for more. She must have been starving.

So one battle sort of won..........But getting her to eat a different form of sugar (maple syrup) is not a huge victory in my book!

PB&J for dinner.....nothing.... went to bed hungry. No cereal for breakfast because of it.
But now the waffles and pancakes are an amazing sub for the cereal, so she doesn't mind.

I'm now just focusing on lunch and dinners...just don't know if it's gonna work.
I keep telling her that we HAVE to eat these foods to give us energy for the summer. We won't be able to swim, play outside, play sports....etc. if we have no energy! I'm wondering if I should tie those activities together more and withhold swimming if no lunch? Saying it's not safe if you don't have the energy to stay in the pool?
I don't know.
I like your advice, so please keep it coming!

btw-i lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks so far!
Thanks
Marianne

you are certainly doing a good job, even though it's hard/. but i don't think pancakes are a good substitute for cereals. more fat, less fibres, might be better to just give her bread. for the summer, i would let her swim, just makes her more hungry. let her be as busy as she wants, you don't get as hungry when you're sitting in front of the tv as you do when you're running around and sporting. so just let her run around, and she will start to eat better, because she's more hungry.

well, good luck and hang in there

First | Prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next | Last