Message Boards

Topic : Picky Eaters

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:19:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child a picky eater? Share your tips, tricks, and menu ideas to help your child eat right, and enjoy it.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 5, 2007, 1:34 pm CDT

Picky Eaters

Quote From: dchmtx

Are you describing my child???  Do I ever know about picky eaters!!  Mine is worse. Mine won't eat french fries, mash potatoes, gravies, sauces, creams.  No cereal except cheerios because they don't have sugar.  No candy, cake, brownies.  Not even ice cream.  No chicken or turkey or hamburg.   My child was thrilled if you put broccoli and carrots in front of him.  Loves milk.  No juice, no sodas.  He's never had birthday cake!   

We found out that medication for his ADHD might have contributed to his taste buds.  He is sensitve to textures.   

I would put a few carrots on his plate. He had to try one new food (even a bite was acceptable) before he could have more.  No snacks which wasn't a problem, really.  No milk prior to eating because it fills them up.  Give water (small amount) with meal and then more when they are done.  Try adding things like cheese to scrambled eggs.  My son refused to eat meat.  I added hamburg to spaghetti sauce.  Peanut butter?  Put it on toast.  PB&J was a staple for breakfast.  Let him be creative.  Everything gets dipped in peanut butter at my house.  Hey, it's protein.  Now that he's 8, he likes to watch fear factor.  I let him create a fear factor snack.  Get ready: cocoa puffs with shredded cheese, a squirt of catch up all inside a hotdog bun!!   

Mine just started eating soft serve ice cream but no cone.  Then I got him to try a milk shake.  I advanced to yogurt shakes (he won't eat yogurt with a spoon, jello or pudding).  

Just patience and creativity.    

Let him pick out foods at the grocery store and then say "remember what you bought"?  If you see a commerical or a coupon, get excited.  WOW!  That looks great.  I'm hungry.  Let's go buy some.  Get him excited and see if he plays along with you.   

I tried having people over for dinner thinking he would eat what other kids are eating.   

He didn't like what they served at lunch but wouldn't eat what I packed.  He told the lunch lady he had no money on his account so she would give him a PB&J sandwich.  His pediatrician laughed and said that's fine.  He is growing out of it and learning to eat more what others are eating. 

I promise, it will change!! 

I don't mean to compare my two children but I have two the very opposite of one another.  One is willing to try most of the foods I offer to him (protein eater and some vegetables and fruit) and the other child happens to be an extremely picky eater.  (Like you said very strong willed, will starve himself to death if I let him).  

I have done all the same things to introduce solid foods to both children.  I would serve a protein, starch and vegetable on the table almost every night except I started my second son at 6 months old by giving him little pieces of my food to eat and he loved it.  However,  my picky eater who is 5 years old today is an extremely picky eater and has been since he was a baby.  He was somewhat colic as an infant and would suffer from acid reflux and his formula would come up on him often but the doctor called it normal infant behavor and said he will grow out of his reflux (at the time there wasn't any real medication for it to ease the reflux).  It was a chore when it came time to feed him table food for the first time at 8 months old.  The only way he would try the foods unless I feed him myself with the fork or spoon, then if he decided he liked it, he would eat it on his own (there were not to many foods he would try or eat even if I did spoon feed him myself).  If I allowed him to he would have stayed on jar food as long as a I let him but I stopped the jar food at 18 months old.  He also has a severe food allergy (sometimes they say it is a precautionary mechanism for them to be picky, who knows).  He would not eat cake, icecream, etc. all the junk food at a year old (he didn't even have his 1st year old birthday cake).  Also, did not like to be messy.  Had to use playdoh to get him used to feeling on his hands.  I think this an extrasensory issue for him.  He is starting to grow out of these stages but few still stand with the eating habits.  He won't even try a food.  Even if it is on the table he gags and will almost throw up.  So therefore I give him what he likes, mac and cheese, grill cheese, french fries (smiley's from McCain) chicken nuggets, pizza, applesauce, yogurt, past with sauce. 

I tried the two bite method, force feeding, etc. none of that works, it is in their control. 

I feel for you because I go through the same thing, however, I know he will not walk down the aisle eating chicken nuggets his whole life so basically I just give him what he eats and I think someday when he is ready he will try new foods.

November 20, 2007, 8:46 am CST

Picky Eaters

My children have all gone thru the not eating stage. My youngest (age 4) is currently doing this. The doctor said it is nothing to worry about, all kids go thru this. We give her those little nutripals drinks on her no eating days. She loves them and it makes me feel better about at least getting something in her!

February 26, 2008, 2:06 pm CST

Never seems like enough

Quote From: markari0808

Children are not born with clock's in their tummies.

A pediatrician once told me that in India, where he was raised, you eat when hungry..Not because it is 7am, noon, and 6 pm.

He also said that nobody will ever only eat one thing for their entire lives.

Visualize a 17 year old at a graduation party refusing to eat anything but PB&J. It just doesn't happen.

IMO, we place too much importance on scheduling our children' s eating and sleeping habits.

As long as your child is giving you cues that you are following, I'm guessing that they will grow to be healthy and strong.

Choose your battles.

Grazing is actually far healthier than eating only 3 meals a day. It is not for cows, it is for toddlers too.

My toddler has so much energy that she will eat constantly throughout the day, and if she falls short on her caloric intake, she is a rottten mess.

Sometimes things just happen and you feel like no matter what you do you are never going to get it right... My 16 month old son has a milk protein allergy... which makes meal times very difficult by itself but he also is very picky... he likes breaded chicken, terriyaki broccoli, terriyaki chicken, plain hamburger, pop tarts and PB & J sandwiches. We have a hard time getting him to try new fruits n veggies... he wont eat prok chops anymore, and all the food he loves like hot pockets, pizza rolls, pizza n so forth he is not allowed to have anymore... No one will give us any ideas on how to supply him with a HIGH CALORIE diet without having milk in it and he hasnt been gaining enough weight so we have to count his calories everyday... It is so hard to make sure that he gets what he needs... we have to feed him it seems like every hour to make sure he gets enough bc he doesnt want to eat enough at mealtimes...

So i agree.. no matter what ppl say if they wanna let them eat 10 times a day let them... atleast you no they will be happy n healthy...

February 29, 2008, 3:11 pm CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: doedoe2006

Sometimes things just happen and you feel like no matter what you do you are never going to get it right... My 16 month old son has a milk protein allergy... which makes meal times very difficult by itself but he also is very picky... he likes breaded chicken, terriyaki broccoli, terriyaki chicken, plain hamburger, pop tarts and PB & J sandwiches. We have a hard time getting him to try new fruits n veggies... he wont eat prok chops anymore, and all the food he loves like hot pockets, pizza rolls, pizza n so forth he is not allowed to have anymore... No one will give us any ideas on how to supply him with a HIGH CALORIE diet without having milk in it and he hasnt been gaining enough weight so we have to count his calories everyday... It is so hard to make sure that he gets what he needs... we have to feed him it seems like every hour to make sure he gets enough bc he doesnt want to eat enough at mealtimes...

So i agree.. no matter what ppl say if they wanna let them eat 10 times a day let them... atleast you no they will be happy n healthy...
I can understand what your going threw with your son wanting old foods but having the allergy. I don't know what milk does to him however I am sure it is much differant than what my son went threw. My son started having Migraine headaches and we were refered to a nurologist, I did not agree with this doctor wanting to put my son on 3 medicines after just checking his reflexes and telling me to come back in a month. He also told me to take him off all foods with nitrates, processed meats. And caffieen Well, after not getting the perscriptions filled until I did some research I found that they were MAJOR side effects including seziers which he has had two of for unknown reasons in the past I was not about to put him on medicine that causes them and it had a lot of things to watch for and at the time he was not talking and so I would not know if he had chest pain or rapid heart ect................. He cried for his hot dogs and after about a week I sat him down and explained that if he ate the hot dog he might have a headach and that is why mommy didn't let him have them well he still cried so I gave it to him and watched to see. Exactly 24 hours later he was rolling in the floor screaming hitting his head against the floor scratching me and on and on and so no more hot dogs a few weeks later my husband forgot and let him have one and 24 hours later the same thing. He no longer wants a hot dog wont touch it if you try says it makes him sick. He does still drink sweet tea however only small amounts and usally only when we go out to eat as he don't drink anything with bubbles. as he says.  He is an extream picky eater and just a few nights ago we had deer steak for supper and I cut it up put some ketchup on the plate and told him it was deer bites and he was 4 years old he had to eat at least  4 bites or he couldn't play the Wii and he ate the four and while waiting for his big brother to get done with his 9 bites the little one ate two more bites so he ate 6 and played the Wii for an hour which we don't usally play during the week because of school and early bed times. I remembered my mom making us eat that many bites of meat and a spoon full of vedgtables if we didn't like them and we had to sit until it was gone and they didn't get warmed in a microwave as it was before that time so you ate them cold if you took too much time. I told my older son be thankful I didn't cook liver and he finished the deer. lol Yes sweet tea and deer we live in the south.

April 16, 2008, 2:10 pm CDT

Picky Eaters

My 18 month granddaughter doesn't like vegetables and would spit them out even if they were mixed with some of her favorite foods.  Once she gets a taste of something she doesn't like, she refuses to eat anything on her plate in fear she might not like the taste.  I found that now she is old enough to help, she helps me cook dinner when she is here.  I let her pour the corn or peas into the pan, put in the seasoning and while she isn't old enough to be close to the stove she stands on a chair on the other side of me while I cook on the stove.  It is surprising how she eats her vegetables now, telling me "mmmm" the whole time she eats.  Her eating habits have improved and she is more likely to try new things when she "helps" make them.  I let her butter her bread for grilled cheese sandwiches with her own little knife that came in her dinnerware kit.  We might have a bigger mess when we are done but as my mother in law use to tell me when cooking with my daughter "We aren't making messes, we are making memories"

April 28, 2008, 1:41 pm CDT

Spoon Feeding 911

hi All,

I have a 20 month old daughter that has been a difficult eater since about 8-9 months (couple of months after starting to spoon feed her). She has had her up & down moments, somedays making it Ok to spoon feed her and some other days crying and screaming and not allowing to put 1 spoonfull in her mouth.

Lately she is becoming so difficult that i cannot sit her in her high chair without her fussing and crying the second she sees me with that spoon. That includes yogurt that used to be her favorite meal time. Another thing I want to tell you is that she is 20 months old and has only 4 teeth in the bottom, one molar and 2 upper fron teeth and an upper molar. All her gums are swollen...

She will only accept the bottle so her brekfast consist of fruit, cereal, mild and egg yolk smoothie whereas her lunch is vegetables blended in beef/chicken concentrate - ONLY from the bottle though. I try the spoon and she screams... B/c I dont want her to go without eating I am obliged to put in in a bottle and .. of course she drinks it, at least most of the time.

She is NOT interested in table food, and hates when food touches her hands. She only does OK with cheerios, gold fish, plain bread and other cookies. The other day I was having a bagel with cream cheese and the second she accidently touched my cream cheese she screamed for me to clean her hands...

How do I get her interested in other foods but pureed or smoothies??

She literly never opens her mouth wide even on the good days when she'll let you feed her. Have you ever seen someone eat with her lips parted just a tiny bit???

Is this the strangest thing or what???

Thanks a Million for any advices.

Ahh weight wise and height wise she is OK, I think 80% or so where she should be.

May 10, 2008, 1:54 pm CDT

Picky Eaters

Quote From: frustratedmama

hi All,

I have a 20 month old daughter that has been a difficult eater since about 8-9 months (couple of months after starting to spoon feed her). She has had her up & down moments, somedays making it Ok to spoon feed her and some other days crying and screaming and not allowing to put 1 spoonfull in her mouth.

Lately she is becoming so difficult that i cannot sit her in her high chair without her fussing and crying the second she sees me with that spoon. That includes yogurt that used to be her favorite meal time. Another thing I want to tell you is that she is 20 months old and has only 4 teeth in the bottom, one molar and 2 upper fron teeth and an upper molar. All her gums are swollen...

She will only accept the bottle so her brekfast consist of fruit, cereal, mild and egg yolk smoothie whereas her lunch is vegetables blended in beef/chicken concentrate - ONLY from the bottle though. I try the spoon and she screams... B/c I dont want her to go without eating I am obliged to put in in a bottle and .. of course she drinks it, at least most of the time.

She is NOT interested in table food, and hates when food touches her hands. She only does OK with cheerios, gold fish, plain bread and other cookies. The other day I was having a bagel with cream cheese and the second she accidently touched my cream cheese she screamed for me to clean her hands...

How do I get her interested in other foods but pureed or smoothies??

She literly never opens her mouth wide even on the good days when she'll let you feed her. Have you ever seen someone eat with her lips parted just a tiny bit???

Is this the strangest thing or what???

Thanks a Million for any advices.

Ahh weight wise and height wise she is OK, I think 80% or so where she should be.

Perhaps you should take her to a pediatric dentist to make sure her teeth aren't coming in sideways or have some gum troubles.  My oldest son's eye teeth were coming in sideways and he had to have them guided in. 

She may be having trouble eating if her gums are hurting.  Before meals give her one of those plastic ice pops without opening it to numb them a little. 

She is old enough to be feeding herself and if she doesn't eat it all, that is ok.  Let her work with some soft finger foods like canned peaches or pears.  I wouldn't give her the junk food without improving her eating habits first.  She isn't going to starve if you don't offer them to her while she adjusts to eating healthy choices.  My granddaughter doesn't like the food on her hands either.  She is 19 months old and we just give her a napkin that she can wipe her hands on when she wants.  Also the bottle is a easy feed, it doesn't help your case if she finds it much easier to drink the food in her bottle then to actually have to chew and feed herself.  Give her the food and the spoon and let her learn to eat, even if it makes a huge mess. 

September 23, 2008, 2:42 pm CDT

Hope this Helps Your Picky Eater

My 3 year old was the same way when he was 2.  It took a lot of patience and time.  But he's 3 now & absolutely LOVES to eat fruits and vegetables thanks to encouraging and educational children's books and songs that can easily be found at your local library or bookstore. 

Check out this website for ideas:

http://thesauteeroom.com/eathealthy.html

good luck! 

December 5, 2008, 3:44 pm CST

my son eats like a bird

No matter what I do he doesnt want to eat. sometimes if we go out he will eat mac n cheese as long as he has cranberry sauce to go with it. He won't touch veges at all. I tried " decorating his plate" with broccoli or carrots .Try telling him if he wants to be a pilot one day he has to eat his veges to be strong. He spits them out.Esp if Roxis sitting under the table . We have to make her go into the living room. We discovered his little trick. However he will eat corn.He will eat brown rice .And we always sit down together to eat. Even though my husband is on a 24  on 24 off schedule .
I try not to make a special meal just for him. I try so hard but it is frustrating.

July 14, 2009, 7:19 am CDT

His main food source is mac & chees

My 5 year old son is a picky eater whose main food source is Mac & cheese, this sometimes is his breakfast and his dinner!!  I've had him to see the doc after an illness and requested blood and urine testing, everything came back without issue.  However I am still concerned about his weight he only weighs in at 40lbs.  How do I get him to eat more without stressing him or myself out constantly??

First | Prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next Page | Last Page