Message Boards

Topic : Picky Eaters

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:19:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child a picky eater? Share your tips, tricks, and menu ideas to help your child eat right, and enjoy it.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 7, 2006, 7:20 pm CST

I understand

Quote From: casey509

I have been a picky eater my entire life. It's not something I enjoy or something I do just to get attention. Unfortunatly, a lot of foods just don't taste good to me. That is NO reason for me to be forced to eat things I don't like. I really hate when I go to friends houses to eat, and they get angry with me for not wating thier squash casserole or whatever. They roll thier eyes and say 'you're such a picky eater' or 'why don't you like my cooking?' No matter how many times I explain to people that I just don't like certain foods, they still take offense. I have a wonderful mother, but she forced me to sit at the dinner table night after night with my vegetables sitting there until I ate them. I HATED it. Putting certain foods in my mouth makes me want to vomit. Why should I be forced to eat something I don't like? We all have foods we don't like, I just have more of them. Please don't force your children to eat...it's not child abuse, but it certainly isn't right. My mother tried to make me eat vegetables and it didn't change me...I still wont eat them.  

By the way...there is research that some children are 'super-tasters' and can't tolerate the taste of certain foods. Keep that in mind the next time you try to force them to eat something.  

I have a feeling if my son (6) could write well he would say just what you did.  He has had severely picky eating issues since he was 1-1/2.  We had him in oral therapy for awhile (no physical issues), and there have been slight improvements.  Pediasure has been our staple for all these years (one a day).  He is a reasonable boy who would love to please us by eating.  But he can't.  He gets so visibly upset that I know most things make him want to throw up.  I truly believe there is a separate severe picky eating population that is not "gee johnny won't eat his broccoli..."  I wish that were our problem, but I am learning to back off when he doesn't like something (after licking it).  I hope you belong to the adult picky eaters group like the one in Yahoo http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PickyEatingAdults/ 

so you don't feel so alone.  I'm sorry for  the pain adult picky eaters go through, avoiding family functions just because of the menu. 

March 7, 2006, 11:23 pm CST

Asperger's Syndrome

I have been parenting my 7 year old granddaughter since she was 4 months old.  She has always seemed "busy".  She is intelligent and wants to please, but she has issues trying to make friends and has a very hard time completing her assignments in school.  She can hardly stay in her chair for more than a few minutes at a time.  The school has suggested that she may be ADHD and could need medication. 

Recently she was tested at a behavioral health center in our area and was diagnosed with "Asperger's Syndrome".  I am trying to wrap my mind around this thing and all that it may mean for our family.  I have been told that medication is usually not very helpful, that she needs coaching and she has been referred to Special Education for further evaluation as to what they can do to help. 

As a parent...I feel somewhat lost.  Any help out there? 

March 8, 2006, 7:40 am CST

??????

Quote From: jvreimer

I have been parenting my 7 year old granddaughter since she was 4 months old.  She has always seemed "busy".  She is intelligent and wants to please, but she has issues trying to make friends and has a very hard time completing her assignments in school.  She can hardly stay in her chair for more than a few minutes at a time.  The school has suggested that she may be ADHD and could need medication. 

Recently she was tested at a behavioral health center in our area and was diagnosed with "Asperger's Syndrome".  I am trying to wrap my mind around this thing and all that it may mean for our family.  I have been told that medication is usually not very helpful, that she needs coaching and she has been referred to Special Education for further evaluation as to what they can do to help. 

As a parent...I feel somewhat lost.  Any help out there? 

what is aspergers syndrome?   what are the symptoms , did they say?  i am wondering if my son has thios probl;em.  lathough i dont send him to school, i home school him, cause he will urinate in the toilet but refuses to go  poop in the yoilet no matter what we do or the doctors have told us to do,  he is 7 years old.

March 8, 2006, 7:42 am CST

we need to stop catering to our children

Quote From: dagiggles

1.  first of all I have a 15 month old daughter and she can be picky at times.
2.  I have found that if you take something they like --- chicken for example and mix it with lets say tomato sauce then they are getting both the meat and the veggies
3.  if crackers are the problem and that is all they want to eat try this... Kraft Dinner make it like you normally would (but add some veggies like stewed tomatoes and beef) then once everything is mixed together (meaning everything is cooked and then put together) then put it into a pan set oven for 350 but here is the trick add the childs favourite crackers ontop of the mixture.  This one really works and tastes so good.
 now does anyone know how to stop a 15 month old who is teething to stop biting mommy?
we need to stop catering to our children and causing them to be spoiled rotten brats that think the world revolves around trhem.  hen my parents rised me it was eat what was for dinner or go hungary that day.  my mom did not coo five or 2 different meals for each family memeber.  i survided.  i am healthy and like a varoiety of food .  tv is also to blame.  i tell my picky step daughter , all the time that i am not going to play her game.  she eventully stits down and eats it.  however, each day of the week, they have a favoritre meal of theres for dinner i have learned that that helps.

March 8, 2006, 11:02 am CST

Thank you

Quote From: speech529

Hi,  

I think it is great that he was willing to eat the stew, try the tomato and that you included his favorite as an enticement. 

This is a difficult problem, especially if parents' have defaulted to the child's diet of choice.  Our younger child was a picky eater.  Here is what we did to help her (and ourselves!).  We talked to her about it at a time when we were not eating or getting ready to eat.  No battles at the dinner table--it only makes it worse.  We told her that it was important for her to develop a taste for a lot of different foods.  We also told her that we understood that she thought that she did not like most foods and only liked noodles, bread and such.  We explained to her that if she did not try anything, she would never know if she liked it or not.  She was also told that she might not like broccoli, for example, at five years old, but that she might find out she liked it when she was six.  How would she know if she did not try it several times in her life?  So we told her this was our new rule:  she would be expected to try whatever was served.  We would not force her to eat.  However, there would be no special items made for her.  She could choose to eat or not to eat.  Of course, we made sure that she had those things she really liked to eat many times during the week.  This was highly effective.  She is 14 now and generally eats what we serve with some exceptions.   

The other suggestion I have is to get him involved in meal planning and food shopping.  At first, offer two or three choices.  What would you like to have for dinner tomorrow:  spaghetti, meatloaf or chicken?  Then let him choose the side dish or dessert.   

I grew up with an extremely picky brother.  My mom made whatever he wanted and he never had to eat what the family ate.  He is still very picky and difficult to please.  It is embarrassing to go to a restaurant with him because he almost tells the waiter how to cook the food (stay home!).  His kids are also very picky, to an extreme.  Nip it in the bud now!  Good luck...he is fortunate to have parents who want him to be healthy and happy. 

Things have been going a litlle better.  He has actually been eating small amounts of veggies, rice and a few different meats.  If he eats the small amounts we give him we then give him  a slice of pizza.  He's been eating it lately without complaining.  I made fried chicken the other evening, we gave him a small piece, he ate it and asked for more!  That was pretty exciting.  Our approach was giving him an analogy of my 4 runner.  We talked about how putting syrup where the oil was supposed to go would have dire consequences and if we put mud where the gas was supposed to be and so on.  I believe he understood.  We also told him there would be no negotiations.  He is required, unless it's hideous to him, to eat what's on the plate and if he chooses not to that's fine but there is no pizza if he doesn't.  We do require him to stay at the table until everyone has finished their dinner so he learns to be polite.   Thank you for the advice.  Cheers.

March 8, 2006, 12:53 pm CST

7 year old picky eater!

My 7 year old son is a very picky eater. It started when he was about  3 years old. He will not eat  any vegetable other than corn. He eats scrambled eggs, corn bread, bacon, sausage, chicken nuggets, chicken strips, some fish and pepperoni.,cheese, peanut butter, cheese pizza and fruit.  This is not big variety of healthy foods. I get so frustrated. Very seldom will he even try something new. He says chili looks like throw-up and absolutely refuses it. He says that meat has blood in it and says its nasty. He seems to build up these images of what the food looks like or smells like to him and simply refuses to put it in his mouth.  Any suggestions?

March 8, 2006, 3:59 pm CST

Help for picky eaters!!!

I am a chef, who for 4 years cooked at a childcare center.  I also raised 2 children.  I know all about how kids eat. 

There are a few reasons why children are picky.   

First, they have more taste buds than adults.  You loose taste buds as you age.  Food tastes more intense to children than they do to us, that's why most children don't like black pepper, for example. 

Next, being picky about what they eat, is actually a self preservation mechanism for children.  Way back maybe 1000's of years ago, being picky probably prevented children from eating something poisonous and dying.  So, it's born in them. 

OK, what can you do? 

The first and most important thing is be a good example.  Make sure you take the time to eat with your children.  Even in our busy lives, it's important to sit down at the table and eat meals together. 

I don't think that happens as much as it should. 

Another point to know is it can take up to 20 times for a child to eat a "new" food.  Be patient, but keep serving new items to your children, eventually they will eat it and most likely will like it. 

I suggest adding a new food to a meal with an item you know they like, say macaroni and cheese with broccoli or green beans, or a salad.  If they see you eat it, they eventually will eat it too. 

Don't make a big deal about food.  That's where a lot of problems can start, that don't have to happen. 

Children will eat when they are hungry.  If they aren't going through a growing spurt, they may not have much of an appetite, but they would never starve themselves. 

Eating should be a pleasant experience, children as young as 1 can learn how to serve themselves food, which will entice them to try new things.   If you want to know more about that, put in "Family Style Meal Service" in your search engine, there is a lot of information on it. 

There are a lot of recipes out there too that are "kid friendly" and nutritious. 

I hope this helps! 

March 8, 2006, 7:12 pm CST

What a battle this can be...

My son who is now 12, has been picky since it was time for spoon feeding after the bottle.  You can just see it on his face in all the videos when we first gave him food.  I don't think that it's a control issue at all.  I think he's just programmed to like only certain foods.  Who doesn't like chocolate?  My son.  At 4 months of age he was 14 1/2 pounds, after that he was 18 pounds from age 1 until age 2.  He registered at zero on the growth charts.  I used to make 2 dinners, what everyone would eat, and what he would eat because I was afraid he'd starve.  Then the second baby came along and she ate everything, and I thought, why am I still making 2 dinners.  He should eat what we are eating.  Eventually, I made him try one bite of whatever was fixed for the family and then if he didn't like it, he could fix his own, as long as it was remotely in the nutritious category.  He's 12 now and almost as tall as I am( 5'7"), and 108 pounds.  To say the least, I'm not worried anymore.   I also gave him a vitamin everyday too, just for my own piece of my mind if that helps anyone. He ate that but I don't know how! 

March 8, 2006, 7:19 pm CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: konabird

I am a chef, who for 4 years cooked at a childcare center.  I also raised 2 children.  I know all about how kids eat. 

There are a few reasons why children are picky.   

First, they have more taste buds than adults.  You loose taste buds as you age.  Food tastes more intense to children than they do to us, that's why most children don't like black pepper, for example. 

Next, being picky about what they eat, is actually a self preservation mechanism for children.  Way back maybe 1000's of years ago, being picky probably prevented children from eating something poisonous and dying.  So, it's born in them. 

OK, what can you do? 

The first and most important thing is be a good example.  Make sure you take the time to eat with your children.  Even in our busy lives, it's important to sit down at the table and eat meals together. 

I don't think that happens as much as it should. 

Another point to know is it can take up to 20 times for a child to eat a "new" food.  Be patient, but keep serving new items to your children, eventually they will eat it and most likely will like it. 

I suggest adding a new food to a meal with an item you know they like, say macaroni and cheese with broccoli or green beans, or a salad.  If they see you eat it, they eventually will eat it too. 

Don't make a big deal about food.  That's where a lot of problems can start, that don't have to happen. 

Children will eat when they are hungry.  If they aren't going through a growing spurt, they may not have much of an appetite, but they would never starve themselves. 

Eating should be a pleasant experience, children as young as 1 can learn how to serve themselves food, which will entice them to try new things.   If you want to know more about that, put in "Family Style Meal Service" in your search engine, there is a lot of information on it. 

There are a lot of recipes out there too that are "kid friendly" and nutritious. 

I hope this helps! 

I agree with this post 100%. I never MAKE my kids eat and they definetly do not have to eat something they do not like. They are always served food that they like and on accasions I will introduce a new food. Portions are small as they can always have seconds and they are not alowed snacks without eating healthy foods. Kids definetly learn by example and their taste buds do change after a while. My children are 5 and 3 and have absolutely no problem telling when they are hungry and if it is not meal time, they know they can go to the refrig and pick an easy healthy food. I know about the time my children get hungry therefore meal time has been planned around that time. ANy way, life is good in my home because I know my children well enough that I lnow what they like and don't like and I know about the time they are hungry and they are good healthy eaters. Kids do love serving them selves and my children like to help prepare meals which is two great ways to get kids motivated in eating healthy and well.

March 21, 2006, 11:28 am CST

Lock the Refridgerator

can anyone suggest a good fridge lock? My kids are starting the "i don't like it" phase and don't eat their meal, then they sneak into the fridge for a handfull of grated mozzarella cheese! We're doing the "no more food until breakfast time!" routine almost every evening.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last