Message Boards

Topic : Picky Eaters

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:19:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child a picky eater? Share your tips, tricks, and menu ideas to help your child eat right, and enjoy it.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 16, 2005, 2:02 pm CDT

picky eaters

My friend (and mother of three) gave me some solid practical sense when I went to her with the same questions.  She said that: 

1. they won't let themselves starve 

2. watch them.. they'll eat healthy over the course of a few days (provided different food groups are offered) 

3. if you're still worried, a daily vitamin (children's chewables or liquid drops) won't hurt them.  My 2 year old loves her elephant-, lion-, or monkey- bite just before breakfast. 

ALSO, she told me how she fooled all three of her children with vitamin packed smoothies!  I don't know exacty what she put into them, but finding recipes for smoothies isn't hard.  All you really need is a blender.  She had her kids eating vegetables and wheat germ in strawberry or chocolate smoothie disguise.    

Also, there is a children's flavored vitamin drink "pedia-sure" that (i think) comes in vanilla and chocolate flavors.  Just add cushed ice and voila!  Instant health-full smoothie. 

Hope this helps.  If not, well at least I tried.  Ha ha! 

-Lee Ann 

2 girls, 2 yrs and 4 mos old 

September 5, 2005, 1:33 pm CDT

I have one child woh i can't fill up and anothe r who won't eat much!

No one ever said that 2 kids are alike! Man, my 17 month old eats more than my 5 year old some days! My 5 year old is very picky and some days his favorite foods he won't even touch. Then there is my 17 month old who eats off of our plate too!  

Rachel  

September 19, 2005, 11:08 am CDT

Two Bite Rule

Hi there, 

I have a 4 1/2 year old and a child that will be 3 in October. BOTH were EXTREMELY picky until I implmented my "Two Bite Rule". They know that if they take two bites of everything on their plates (MUST be at least 2 bites) if they still think they don't like it then I will get them something else to eat. It must be a healthy choice though, like applesauce or raisins or yogurt. This has gone over extremely well and now we don't have anymore arguments. They eat their two bites - sometimes grudgingly, but the do eat them - and then, more often than not, find out they like what they were scared to try. It's very rarely I have to give them something else anymore. As a matter of fact I made a meal the other nite that I SOOO didn't think my kids would eat. They both took their 2 bites and my 3 year old looked at me and said "This is good Mom!" and my 4 1/2 year old said "Will you make this again?" . That's the ultimate compliment to me! LOL!
So try this and see if this works. It might not - but it's worth a try.  

OH - and if they don't eat their 2 bites then they don't get anything else for the rest of the nite. My doctor has told me they won't starve themselves so I don't worry about. Also, like I said, it's pretty rare that I have to resort to that.  

Good luck!

Hugs, 

Mama3boys 

October 24, 2005, 6:20 pm CDT

my two year old wont eat!!!!!

Quote From: bigred80

I saw this topic and I thought I could get some advice for my eat nothing, nearly two, son. What you said is sooooo true! My husband and I are three meals a day kind of people, so when my son doesn't want to eat when we are, I panic. But then I thought about what he eats over the day and I have to ask myself how come he doesn't look like a fifteen year old with the amount that he eats. 

Thank you so much. Now maybe dinner will be a bit less stressful, unfortunately I still have to pick up the food off the floor. Luckily some makes it in to his mouth! 

what you have said is true, but there are some kids or i should say my son that wont eat even if you paid him to. i am talking about a two year old boy that wont eat icecream lollies chocolate chips and then if it is a proper meal i am looking at one or two bits and he is done. he is still in baby sized clothes and nappies and isnt growing height and weight wise.

October 25, 2005, 7:20 am CDT

Picky Eaters

Quote From: mama3boys

Hi there, 

I have a 4 1/2 year old and a child that will be 3 in October. BOTH were EXTREMELY picky until I implmented my "Two Bite Rule". They know that if they take two bites of everything on their plates (MUST be at least 2 bites) if they still think they don't like it then I will get them something else to eat. It must be a healthy choice though, like applesauce or raisins or yogurt. This has gone over extremely well and now we don't have anymore arguments. They eat their two bites - sometimes grudgingly, but the do eat them - and then, more often than not, find out they like what they were scared to try. It's very rarely I have to give them something else anymore. As a matter of fact I made a meal the other nite that I SOOO didn't think my kids would eat. They both took their 2 bites and my 3 year old looked at me and said "This is good Mom!" and my 4 1/2 year old said "Will you make this again?" . That's the ultimate compliment to me! LOL!
So try this and see if this works. It might not - but it's worth a try.  

OH - and if they don't eat their 2 bites then they don't get anything else for the rest of the nite. My doctor has told me they won't starve themselves so I don't worry about. Also, like I said, it's pretty rare that I have to resort to that.  

Good luck!

Hugs, 

Mama3boys 

That is a very good idea. My daughter is 19 months old and won't eat anything that most children her age will eat. How old were your kids when you implemented the "2 bite rule"? I am thinking that my daughter may not be old enough yet. What do you think? 

Thanks, 

concerned in Alabama 

October 30, 2005, 12:48 am CDT

FOODLESS!!!

How my 3 year old has so much energy is beyond me!! He will LITERALLY  go for a week or two and not eat a full meal within that time period! I was really worried because he's 3 years old and a 2T barely fits him. His pediatrician said he's growing and gaining weight as he should, not to worry HE WON'T STARVE. 

Although, my husband said, "If he ate every time you wanted him to eat he'd look like a balloon with arms and legs! LOL 

November 3, 2005, 3:27 am CST

3 year old wont try new foods

Our 3 1/2 year old son wont try any new foods. He generally eats fruit,yoghurt or raisin bread for breakfast, plain wholemeal bread for lunch and chicken nuggets with peas, beans and sweetcorn for dinner and often one milk drink. He will eat a lot of fruits, and cake, donuts, jelly, cookies etc (only as treats or after he has eaten his meal). He eats 3 good meals a day but not much variety, he is never very enthusiastic about eating dinner. I think he is bored of chicken nuggets but wont try anything else without a lot of pleading and bribing. We have tried everything we can think of to encourage him to try new foods but nothing seems to work. If he ever does try something he is very reluctant to eat it again anyway. He convinces himself that he doesn't like the food and makes himself gag before he even tastes it. He is a very strong willed and stubborn kid and I am getting quite frustrated. We dont want him to grow up to be a fussy eater who wont try anything. Any ideas? Does anyone have children that have grown out of this, it seems like it will never end! 

November 7, 2005, 4:03 pm CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: rwc2002

How my 3 year old has so much energy is beyond me!! He will LITERALLY  go for a week or two and not eat a full meal within that time period! I was really worried because he's 3 years old and a 2T barely fits him. His pediatrician said he's growing and gaining weight as he should, not to worry HE WON'T STARVE. 

Although, my husband said, "If he ate every time you wanted him to eat he'd look like a balloon with arms and legs! LOL 

My pediatrician and the dieticians I work with says a child will eat when they are hungry.  Adults eat because they have gotten into the routine of eating 3x a day because that's what's instilled in our brains. Children don't know this.  

I have an 8 year old who is just getting into some 8 slim pants (with adjustable pants) only because I need the length that the 7 slims don't have.  

Yes, as long as she eats and eats healthy, don't worry if the weight is being put on.  Not all babies have baby fat and rolls.  

November 7, 2005, 4:14 pm CST

My child??

Quote From: noeat1

Our 3 1/2 year old son wont try any new foods. He generally eats fruit,yoghurt or raisin bread for breakfast, plain wholemeal bread for lunch and chicken nuggets with peas, beans and sweetcorn for dinner and often one milk drink. He will eat a lot of fruits, and cake, donuts, jelly, cookies etc (only as treats or after he has eaten his meal). He eats 3 good meals a day but not much variety, he is never very enthusiastic about eating dinner. I think he is bored of chicken nuggets but wont try anything else without a lot of pleading and bribing. We have tried everything we can think of to encourage him to try new foods but nothing seems to work. If he ever does try something he is very reluctant to eat it again anyway. He convinces himself that he doesn't like the food and makes himself gag before he even tastes it. He is a very strong willed and stubborn kid and I am getting quite frustrated. We dont want him to grow up to be a fussy eater who wont try anything. Any ideas? Does anyone have children that have grown out of this, it seems like it will never end! 

Are you describing my child???  Do I ever know about picky eaters!!  Mine is worse. Mine won't eat french fries, mash potatoes, gravies, sauces, creams.  No cereal except cheerios because they don't have sugar.  No candy, cake, brownies.  Not even ice cream.  No chicken or turkey or hamburg.   My child was thrilled if you put broccoli and carrots in front of him.  Loves milk.  No juice, no sodas.  He's never had birthday cake!   

We found out that medication for his ADHD might have contributed to his taste buds.  He is sensitve to textures.   

I would put a few carrots on his plate. He had to try one new food (even a bite was acceptable) before he could have more.  No snacks which wasn't a problem, really.  No milk prior to eating because it fills them up.  Give water (small amount) with meal and then more when they are done.  Try adding things like cheese to scrambled eggs.  My son refused to eat meat.  I added hamburg to spaghetti sauce.  Peanut butter?  Put it on toast.  PB&J was a staple for breakfast.  Let him be creative.  Everything gets dipped in peanut butter at my house.  Hey, it's protein.  Now that he's 8, he likes to watch fear factor.  I let him create a fear factor snack.  Get ready: cocoa puffs with shredded cheese, a squirt of catch up all inside a hotdog bun!!   

Mine just started eating soft serve ice cream but no cone.  Then I got him to try a milk shake.  I advanced to yogurt shakes (he won't eat yogurt with a spoon, jello or pudding).  

Just patience and creativity.    

Let him pick out foods at the grocery store and then say "remember what you bought"?  If you see a commerical or a coupon, get excited.  WOW!  That looks great.  I'm hungry.  Let's go buy some.  Get him excited and see if he plays along with you.   

I tried having people over for dinner thinking he would eat what other kids are eating.   

He didn't like what they served at lunch but wouldn't eat what I packed.  He told the lunch lady he had no money on his account so she would give him a PB&J sandwich.  His pediatrician laughed and said that's fine.  He is growing out of it and learning to eat more what others are eating. 

I promise, it will change!! 

November 7, 2005, 6:22 pm CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: dchmtx

My pediatrician and the dieticians I work with says a child will eat when they are hungry.  Adults eat because they have gotten into the routine of eating 3x a day because that's what's instilled in our brains. Children don't know this.  

I have an 8 year old who is just getting into some 8 slim pants (with adjustable pants) only because I need the length that the 7 slims don't have.  

Yes, as long as she eats and eats healthy, don't worry if the weight is being put on.  Not all babies have baby fat and rolls.  

I agree with this advice, I do believe we as adults eat when we do becasue it is instilled in us, I do not make my kids eat, they will eat when they are hungry. They do know though, they have to eat healthy food when they do eat and if they don't they do not get other stuff. I think obesity is a problem in this society becasue we eat for every reason, we are depressed, or lonely, or upset, or even bored, instead of eating to be healthy and when we are actually hungry, we eat "ust because" and kids should be encouraged to eat when they are hungry and to eat healthy and if they are taught this then it wouldn't be such a battle. yes, some kids are very picky but being creative I think is a good thing.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last