Message Boards

Topic : Picky Eaters

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:19:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child a picky eater? Share your tips, tricks, and menu ideas to help your child eat right, and enjoy it.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 10, 2005, 7:24 pm CST

getting rid of snacks

Hi,  I have a 5 year old (Just 5, dec 1). My problem is that he is only 32 pounds and eats good some of the time.  He will sit down with the faimily and eat but doesn't have the attention span to eat a full meal.  We have tried everything from setting a timer to sending him to his room. Nothing works.  After he eats a half a sandwich he says he's full we make him  take to more bites, which he does and then five minutes later he wants a snack.  How can I stop this action on his part so  he will eat more nutritiously and stop him from asking every two minutes for a snack. 

In need of help 

John, Madison WI 

November 10, 2005, 8:58 pm CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: dzinski

Hi,  I have a 5 year old (Just 5, dec 1). My problem is that he is only 32 pounds and eats good some of the time.  He will sit down with the faimily and eat but doesn't have the attention span to eat a full meal.  We have tried everything from setting a timer to sending him to his room. Nothing works.  After he eats a half a sandwich he says he's full we make him  take to more bites, which he does and then five minutes later he wants a snack.  How can I stop this action on his part so  he will eat more nutritiously and stop him from asking every two minutes for a snack. 

In need of help 

John, Madison WI 

Maybe have a tray in the refrig that your son can choose from, put just nutricious snacks on it such as carrot sticks with ranch dressing, apple slices with caramel dip, trail mixes, crackers w/peanut butter. I do this sometimes and it helps, I very rarely buy cookies, candy and other sweets, when my girls eat well and help around the house and things like that, we go to the store and buy a treat. Theya re only 2 and 4 and they are learning that they must eat healthy foods before they get other stuff. With the tray items, I will put something on it to entice them to go to the tray like the caramel dip for the apples. Some times it gets old but it does work as they like helping them selves and choosing what they want.

November 12, 2005, 6:39 pm CST

The food game

I have a 3 year old that lives on ramen nooldles, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, cheez-its, and Hi-C juice.  She won't try new things.  I was even so desperate that I let her play the "lick" game instead of putting the whole bite in her mouth I let her lick the food for the taste...still didn't work.  I know that they say a child will not starve to death but sometimes I wonder.  I have finally found some liquid vitamin drops to try and get something of nutritional value down her.  Any ideas?  I also have 3 month old twins at home so I am hoping when she sees "little sisters" eating that may help.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

November 16, 2005, 6:01 pm CST

I only want my snack to eat

Help.  My 3 yr old granddaughter is going thru a picky stage.  She wants to eat only "snacks" for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  My daughter has always supplied 3 well rounded meals each day and then after the meal  she has always provided a snack.    My granddaughter feels that she can avoid eating the meal and going straight for the snack.  My daughter is sticking with the rules - you don't eat your meal you won't get a snack.  However, last night at dinner time, she refused to eat her dinner.  My daughter informed her she needed to eat dinner.  My granddaughter refused.  Again, prior to going to bed, my daughter said - it's time to eat.   My granddaughter refused saying she only wanted the snack.  My daughter sent her to bed without any dinner.  The next morning, she was hungry and she did enjoy eating 3 bowls of cereal.  What is the best way to handle this issue???  We are very, very concerned. 

November 16, 2005, 7:51 pm CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: dmetzge

Help.  My 3 yr old granddaughter is going thru a picky stage.  She wants to eat only "snacks" for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  My daughter has always supplied 3 well rounded meals each day and then after the meal  she has always provided a snack.    My granddaughter feels that she can avoid eating the meal and going straight for the snack.  My daughter is sticking with the rules - you don't eat your meal you won't get a snack.  However, last night at dinner time, she refused to eat her dinner.  My daughter informed her she needed to eat dinner.  My granddaughter refused.  Again, prior to going to bed, my daughter said - it's time to eat.   My granddaughter refused saying she only wanted the snack.  My daughter sent her to bed without any dinner.  The next morning, she was hungry and she did enjoy eating 3 bowls of cereal.  What is the best way to handle this issue???  We are very, very concerned. 

She isn't going to starve to death and kids do eat when they are hungry. In my home, I have the same rule, they must eat "good for you food" or no snack. Now, I do have things that are nutricious that they can choose from at dinner as well as on a tray in the refrig. I say, do not give in to her or she will not eat her good food. I have even went as far as not buying snack foods period and my four year old caught on real fast!

December 1, 2005, 4:48 am CST

Picky eater

Quote From: redzone5

I have a 3 year old that lives on ramen nooldles, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, cheez-its, and Hi-C juice.  She won't try new things.  I was even so desperate that I let her play the "lick" game instead of putting the whole bite in her mouth I let her lick the food for the taste...still didn't work.  I know that they say a child will not starve to death but sometimes I wonder.  I have finally found some liquid vitamin drops to try and get something of nutritional value down her.  Any ideas?  I also have 3 month old twins at home so I am hoping when she sees "little sisters" eating that may help.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

My 5-year-old is the same way.  I also tried the lick-it-and-see-if-you-like-it method.  Sometimes she likes it, sometimes she doesn't.  Her favorite foods are chicken, spaghetti, peanut butter sandwiches, and yogurt.  I have started to put small pieces of other types of food on her plate, only one per meal, to introduce her to other foods.  I believe that if you offer only one new food every day or couple of days, then they do not feel so frustrated when trying them.  I never force her to eat anything that she doesn't like as long as she tries it first.  This method has worked the best for me.  She understands that if she does not like the food, she does not have to eat it so she is more willing to taste things now.  I also make sure to never react to food no matter how much I may dislike it, after all, she is watching my every move.  I do not eat read meat but I have never said how gross I find it infront of my daughter.  I do not want to sway her away from food she may actually enjoy had she tried it. 

Fortunately my other two children, 3-year-old son and 21-month-old daughter are not picky at all.  My son has turned down cookies and candy for carrots and spinach.  They have actually helped my older daughter try new foods by enjoying their food so much.  I also think that preschool helps, she has started trying even more foods since she started last year. 

December 19, 2005, 9:02 am CST

Picky Eaters

I have a 2 year old who wont eat meat. As soon as it is in she spits it back out. we have tried making faces, mixing it in with other food, and just not puting it on her plate but trying to feed her it of ours. any ideas on how to get her to eat meat. she loves vegitables and fruit and eats plenty of them but is it healthy for her not to eat meat. 

December 19, 2005, 11:54 am CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: ameliam

I have a 2 year old who wont eat meat. As soon as it is in she spits it back out. we have tried making faces, mixing it in with other food, and just not puting it on her plate but trying to feed her it of ours. any ideas on how to get her to eat meat. she loves vegitables and fruit and eats plenty of them but is it healthy for her not to eat meat. 

it's good that she likes fruit and veggies, I don't think I would stress out about it, there are other ways she can get the protein such as peanut butter. I personally do not believe that it is good to force kids to eat, and also their taste buds seem to change in time, I think I would lay off fora while and then try it again at a later time. Maybe also you can cut it up in tiny pieces and mix it in like rice or something, might work but I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

December 19, 2005, 12:13 pm CST

I can't get my 4 yr old to eat

I have a 4 yr old daughter who refuses to eat what I make.  I dont really want to be a short order cook and make her something different then what I am making for the rest of the family. There are more things that she dislikes than likes, and with the things she does like it would be difficult to mix things she doesnt like itnto it. I have given up the snacks and limited her drinks so that she is hungry when dinner is served. She would rather go to bed early than try to eat what I made. I can  not even get her to try new foods. She automatically tells me she doesnt like what I make, even before it is actually made. I have tried everything I can think of to make her eat. Can anyone give me some advice.

December 19, 2005, 4:07 pm CST

Kids who control their parents

Quote From: vicky0821

I have a 4 yr old daughter who refuses to eat what I make.  I dont really want to be a short order cook and make her something different then what I am making for the rest of the family. There are more things that she dislikes than likes, and with the things she does like it would be difficult to mix things she doesnt like itnto it. I have given up the snacks and limited her drinks so that she is hungry when dinner is served. She would rather go to bed early than try to eat what I made. I can  not even get her to try new foods. She automatically tells me she doesnt like what I make, even before it is actually made. I have tried everything I can think of to make her eat. Can anyone give me some advice.

I really don't understand how people can let their children control them. HELLO!! You are the parent, they are the child.  If the kid doesnt eat what you make, then let them go hungry. They will not starve. Eventually, when they are hungry enough, they will eat. If you let them get away with this, you will be catering to them until they are 18. I have a girlfriend who's daughter will eat nothing but pizza, french fries, and fast food. She goes out of the house at least 2 times a day to drive to get her kid something to eat.  I say pick her up, sit her butt down at the table, and don't let her get down until she eats.  If she fusses and makes a scene, then let her go hungry... YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT STARVE!! They will eat what you give them when they are hungry.  Once they see that you will not budge, they will come around to trying new things. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last