Message Boards

Topic : Picky Eaters

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:19:25 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child a picky eater? Share your tips, tricks, and menu ideas to help your child eat right, and enjoy it.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 19, 2005, 6:16 pm CST

MY CHILD ARE ONE OF THEM LIKE YOU ARE

My daugter is 21 years old now. She was one of them like you about eating when she was 8 yrs old.. she was small girl had no trouble have her to eat on the table and food. After all for while partly she grows up she begging hate her dads cooking .. I was fed up and refused to sit table with families because there always arguements I rather to sit  talk enjoyed not  mean things. I guess I must have made mistake do something like that just like I ran away from the problem that I dont want to hear it or solved it. I rather to see my daughter and son eat in proper meals what we have eat. Its getting bad for long long time she eats out all the time hardly eat at home.Wont sit at the table with us so is my son as well he s not out eater he will eat at home but he pig!!! Cost me bundle of money to deal with it. This what makes me so sad for long time she refused and my husband has nothing wrong with cooking he s been doing for years. I bring home bacon  mm. Last Thanksgiving I try get my two kids to sit down have dinner with us. Nope son goes to his room eat.. Daughter eat wee bit not sit with us. I guess its too late.  

For you with your child try harder and get some help. I saw on teleivsion says Make dinner something on foodtv channel it s good show that shows about parenting very busy no time cooking or child refused to eat. how to do this etc. I  really loved that show wished it was showning 20 yrs ago. There are alot of stuff is good.  You have to eat whats on the table  and if child refused to eat the only thing say to the child ok i ll put food away eat after . It works. It will take a time I try find a website for you to look up still cannot find it.  Sorry.Ask around here or ask Dr.Phil . I m sure he gets good point.  

I do beleieve there is alot hurting for years about eating food and  whats left over. Cannot do much about it.TOO LATE. Try not  to avoid leave the table like I do its mistaken. IT will be nice to look up the website about the child food etc  and proper meal. There was alot of threats when my child was small about  not feed her good it s all wrong its her the ones nagg and bragging not like whats been on the table. Not us. I hoped for the best in future  do the best for everyone/ 

December 20, 2005, 4:49 am CST

U THINK UR 2 YR OLD IS PICKY?

MY 26 year old boyfriend is way pickier than any 2 or 4 yr old! he wont eat anything but hambugers and fries!! lately i been shoving other things down his throat, hes just now starting to realize theres more out there besides pizzia and bugers.  but even his pizza has to be just pepperoni, and his bugers has to be plain with cheese...! theres alot moret hings he is sooo picky about also.  whats wrong with guys these days??

December 20, 2005, 6:18 am CST

Don't worry

Quote From: jettav

it's good that she likes fruit and veggies, I don't think I would stress out about it, there are other ways she can get the protein such as peanut butter. I personally do not believe that it is good to force kids to eat, and also their taste buds seem to change in time, I think I would lay off fora while and then try it again at a later time. Maybe also you can cut it up in tiny pieces and mix it in like rice or something, might work but I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
My 2 year was the same way. I started putting the things I knew she liked on her plate along with a meat (not a lot). Eventually she tried the meat. She still prefers veggies and fruits but once or twice a week, she will eat meat.

December 20, 2005, 7:37 am CST

can i have cereal for dinner?

Quote From: jettav

She isn't going to starve to death and kids do eat when they are hungry. In my home, I have the same rule, they must eat "good for you food" or no snack. Now, I do have things that are nutricious that they can choose from at dinner as well as on a tray in the refrig. I say, do not give in to her or she will not eat her good food. I have even went as far as not buying snack foods period and my four year old caught on real fast!
 My boyfriends little 4 yr old LIVES on junk. When he comes over- dinners are a struggle. I thought about the power struggle because of the back and forth from mom to dad, but being with him more has led me to believe that it is really his taste buds. He Loves regular milk. . but no chocolate or strawberry milk (which is odd for a kid, i thought) Then we go to McDonalds and he wants the Happy Meal, but no hamburger in it. The doctors say his weight and everything checks out ok, and he is a healthy boy, so not to worry. We just go with things he likes, Pizza, Milk, and healthier cereals like Frosted mini wheats for dinner, and grilled cheese. Lately i have had him in the kitchen with me baking for the holidays and i didnt press the issue to try what we were making and all of a sudden he made a comment that he wanted to try the cream cheese, all on his terms of dipping it with a Cheez it cracker. ..so ofcourse i said Go for it!!!!  With this boy and maybe other children if they are around the food regardless, they will get curious, try new things and then their "menu" will broaden. Don't throw in the towel just yet.

December 20, 2005, 7:43 am CST

a guy that doesnt like change

Quote From: susannahbe

MY 26 year old boyfriend is way pickier than any 2 or 4 yr old! he wont eat anything but hambugers and fries!! lately i been shoving other things down his throat, hes just now starting to realize theres more out there besides pizzia and bugers.  but even his pizza has to be just pepperoni, and his bugers has to be plain with cheese...! theres alot moret hings he is sooo picky about also.  whats wrong with guys these days??
 Now that is a real find.. . you always know how to plan your weekly meal menus and if he doesnt like change that much . .. you will be around for a longggg time!!!!! As long as u are a hamburger girl and not "steak"  Hahahaha.
My dad is just the same way, he is 50 something and only eats pasta and chicken (as long as there is NO Bones in it) 
Is variety the spice of life? or a big temptation?????
Keep smiling!!!!!

December 20, 2005, 12:44 pm CST

My husband is worse than these kids

My husband will not even touch a vegetable, they repulse him. He will not eat any food that has touched a veggie saying it has been contaminated. It is all I can do to get him to eat instant mashed potatoes and that is when they are smothered in gravy. I worry about his health, he takes vitamins but is that enough? His diet consists of meat and bread. Are there any good recipes that I can sneak a couple of veggies in on him?

December 20, 2005, 3:08 pm CST

Picky Eaters

Quote From: kygalathrt

My husband will not even touch a vegetable, they repulse him. He will not eat any food that has touched a veggie saying it has been contaminated. It is all I can do to get him to eat instant mashed potatoes and that is when they are smothered in gravy. I worry about his health, he takes vitamins but is that enough? His diet consists of meat and bread. Are there any good recipes that I can sneak a couple of veggies in on him?
Maybe try veggie burgers (vegatarian isle-won't be much of a selection) and see how he likes those. My husband is not a vegatarian but loves the veggitarian pepperoni, maybe that as well? Does he like soups? I am not a real fan on canned soup, but my kids and I love tomatoe soup which I will fix on occasions when I feel like they haven't had enough veggies, you can probably make it as well. You really can't make him do anything so at least he is taking vitamins, one thing that I like to fix is a recipe on the bisquick box, it is the hamburger pie-1 lb ground beef,1 large onion9chopped-about 1 cup, I use less then that),1/2 tsp salt ( I don't use),1 cup shredded cheese,1/2 cup bisquick, I ususally use just slightly more),1 cup milk, 2 eggs. Of course you cook the beef and onion togetehr, drain and put into a greased pan and then pour the remaiover top of the beef and then spread the shreaded cheese over remaining ingredients (already mixed with the exception of the cheese), I add a touch of spaghetti sauce into the ingredients to give it more of a moist taste), bake it for about 30 minutes or so. you could add whatever else you want, and maybe he will eat this. My youngest child will only eat brocolli if I chop it up super fine, and mix it in something, you can't even hardly see it. You can probably get a vegetarian cook book as well, maybe find some recipes.

December 20, 2005, 6:32 pm CST

Help with mine

I have a 12 year old boy who will not try anything new.  Not even when I ask him just to sample it.  He says it doesn't like things just by the way they look.  Now if my 6 year old hears him, then he wont eat it either.  People say you put the food in front of them either they will eat it or they go without.  What can I get him to do to eat something new.???

December 21, 2005, 8:41 pm CST

Try This

Quote From: vicky0821

I have a 4 yr old daughter who refuses to eat what I make.  I dont really want to be a short order cook and make her something different then what I am making for the rest of the family. There are more things that she dislikes than likes, and with the things she does like it would be difficult to mix things she doesnt like itnto it. I have given up the snacks and limited her drinks so that she is hungry when dinner is served. She would rather go to bed early than try to eat what I made. I can  not even get her to try new foods. She automatically tells me she doesnt like what I make, even before it is actually made. I have tried everything I can think of to make her eat. Can anyone give me some advice.

Make smoothie  of fruits kids liked to eat not junky and put in blender.. Used yogurt instead of milk..  

its harder to have get kids to eat what you have. Tell her try it with you  to eat with or  bite and drink milk or with smoothie.  

All my life I never like carrots cook.. Still no changes. When My aunt make me eat I have to get milk to drink fast. ITs shame. Its not make any difference because of beef stew.. same thing. i dont get it at all. 

Kids today thinks they are controlling what they eat. 

let me know if its works! 

Maybe u can ask her what she likes or dislike  take from there.. 

December 22, 2005, 2:54 pm CST

pediasure

My wife and I are friends with a couple whose child is literally out of control. Should we say something? Here is the problem:

This child is almost four years old. He does eat regular food: no fruits, no veggies, no meat, no rice, no side dishes. His entire diet consists of bottles of pediasure for lunch/dinner (often times three bottles at a time), T Zone energy bars (mint chocolate flavor), M&M candies and chocolate pretzels for snacks, chocolate sandwich with nutella, and sometimes oatmeal with condensed milk. Whenever we dine out with this family, the mother does not order food for the child but gives him snacks from her purse: chocolate pretzels, brownies, and candies. Of course soon enough the kid is jumping around on the seat and won't listen.

The worst example of bad parenting occurred when my wife went to a chinese restaurant with the mother and child. Instead of giving the kid some rice, fruit or chicken, she served him fried dough covered with conventioner sugar. The child proceeded to lick the sugar off the fried dough and demanded more. The mother too busy with her own plate pulled several sugar packets from the table dispenser and emptied them ontop of the licked clean fried dough. The child then continued licking.

This problem has not gotten any better. When we sat for the kid, we offered him vegetables and fruit; he ran away and had a tantrum. The father refuses to do anything about it; he told us he doesn't push veggies and fruit on the kid because of the choking hazard.

What worries me is that the mom is diabetic and overweight. This child is destined to follow the same path if the diet is not changed.

What can we do?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last