Message Boards

Topic : Teen Dating

Number of Replies: 435
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:21:50 pm
Author : dataimport
Say it isn't so - your teenager is dating! Share your stories, and tips for making your teen's dating days as worry-free as possible.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 18, 2005, 9:50 am CDT

Teen Dating

Quote From: poetmom

My children (19, 15 and 12) have always known that the subject of dating will not even be on the table until they are 16, and that even then it depends on the level of responsibility and maturity they are showing us at that time. My oldest was able to single date at 16, but my middle child, who will be 16 in January, will have to show a LOT of improvements in her overall behavior and attitude before she is given that privilege.  And yes, dating is a privilege, it is not a right of every teenager at any given age!

Teresa

i am a teen, and i agree for the most part. however, this may not be the right thing for all teens. i am only 15 and i have allowed to date, well, since i became interested in dating. i have done fine, my parents trust me, and they have good reason to. Many of us teens are more resopnsible than you'd think, so before just setting the "no dating till your 16" rule, talk to them and know exactly how mature they are, because they may surprise you. Sometimes when you parents don't think we're ready, we really are, and if my parents set a rule like the "16" one, it would make me feel that they dont trust me, so talk to them and have an open mind. <3

August 18, 2005, 10:38 am CDT

What should I say???

Well hello all!!! Right now I am so flabbergasted by my 12 year old son. He is in the process of moving with his dad for the first time in his life. Actually, let me start here first... when his father and I became parents we were only 15 years old. :O But today I talked to my son on the phone and plan to see him tomorrow at a group activity with a day at the waterslides. But just before I was going to hang up the phone he said mom there's something I want to tell you... "AND I WAS LIKE OH NO... WHAT COULD IT BE”.... and he told me well I want to tell you now because you’re probably going to hear about it from someone else! So, I was like son what is it? I want you to tell me... I don’t want to hear about it from someone else? And so he says "MOM, I AM GOING OUT WITH A GIRL FROM ___________, AND SHE IS GOING TO BE AT THE WATERSLIDES TOMORROW!!!!" And I was just in shock. I did tell him that I thought he may be too young to have a girlfriend, and that I wished that I had someone there to tell me that I was too young to do what I was doing.  But I do wish that I had someone there to tell me the things in life in which I needed to know about boys, sex, and etc… This is no excuse to allow him to continue with having a girlfriend, but he is very mature for his age. I did tell him that we have to talk about it with his dad. I read some of the other entries and maybe I will tell him that he can see this girl, but only when there are group activities going on.  That he is too young to be seeing her alone. When his dad and I were young we were allowed to go into his bedroom without anyone else. My son has already gone through puberty. What can I tell my son when the time comes to sit down with him, and his dad?

August 18, 2005, 2:07 pm CDT

advice from a mother of boyz

Quote From: dmmcintyre

I can't say what I would do because I have 4 boys, but for as my friends who have daughters, their daughters are not allowed to date till they are 16.  I do remember my first date at 16 (he was 19 and my parents both knew him), my father had a shot gun sitting by the front door when he picked me up.  Anyway, I think if I was in your shoes, I would give it another year.
Ok. hypathetically your 12 year old son comes to you and says "mom i wanted to tell you that I have girlfriend" how would you respond to that one? My son will be 13 in a few months to come and he told me just today that he has a girlfriend. I don't know if you read my message on the messgae board but some pointers on raising boys would be helpful to me. I am a young parent and am looking for direction on where to take the conversation with my son. I mean I do have a lot that I do want to share with him, but am looking for some good advice. Advice from a mother with of 4 boys sure would be great thanks.  You could email me too if you would like...

August 19, 2005, 7:58 am CDT

Teen Dating

Quote From: pistachio

i am a teen, and i agree for the most part. however, this may not be the right thing for all teens. i am only 15 and i have allowed to date, well, since i became interested in dating. i have done fine, my parents trust me, and they have good reason to. Many of us teens are more resopnsible than you'd think, so before just setting the "no dating till your 16" rule, talk to them and know exactly how mature they are, because they may surprise you. Sometimes when you parents don't think we're ready, we really are, and if my parents set a rule like the "16" one, it would make me feel that they dont trust me, so talk to them and have an open mind. <3
In our home, dating is done to find a future mate....no child needs to be looking for a future mate. Since we don't want to encourage marriage before college graduation, we discourage dating for as long as possible. I agree that it doesn't work for everyone, but it does for us.  :)

August 19, 2005, 8:03 am CDT

Teen Dating

Quote From: chumusgirl

Ok. hypathetically your 12 year old son comes to you and says "mom i wanted to tell you that I have girlfriend" how would you respond to that one? My son will be 13 in a few months to come and he told me just today that he has a girlfriend. I don't know if you read my message on the messgae board but some pointers on raising boys would be helpful to me. I am a young parent and am looking for direction on where to take the conversation with my son. I mean I do have a lot that I do want to share with him, but am looking for some good advice. Advice from a mother with of 4 boys sure would be great thanks.  You could email me too if you would like...

When my children tell me at 12 that they have a girlfriend/boyfirend, it doesn't bother me at all...because what they mean by that is they like that person, that person likes them, and they have admitted it to each other. They don't see each other outside of school, unless they go to our church, and they never see each other in an unsupervised atmosphere. They do NOT go out on dates, in groups or one on one, at 12...it is simply not allowed here, no matter what their friends may be allowed to do. Set rules, and stick to them--although, with him living with his father, you would have to have HIS cooperation as well.  

August 19, 2005, 10:53 am CDT

12 year old dating....

Quote From: chumusgirl

Well hello all!!! Right now I am so flabbergasted by my 12 year old son. He is in the process of moving with his dad for the first time in his life. Actually, let me start here first... when his father and I became parents we were only 15 years old. :O But today I talked to my son on the phone and plan to see him tomorrow at a group activity with a day at the waterslides. But just before I was going to hang up the phone he said mom there's something I want to tell you... "AND I WAS LIKE OH NO... WHAT COULD IT BE”.... and he told me well I want to tell you now because you’re probably going to hear about it from someone else! So, I was like son what is it? I want you to tell me... I don’t want to hear about it from someone else? And so he says "MOM, I AM GOING OUT WITH A GIRL FROM ___________, AND SHE IS GOING TO BE AT THE WATERSLIDES TOMORROW!!!!" And I was just in shock. I did tell him that I thought he may be too young to have a girlfriend, and that I wished that I had someone there to tell me that I was too young to do what I was doing.  But I do wish that I had someone there to tell me the things in life in which I needed to know about boys, sex, and etc… This is no excuse to allow him to continue with having a girlfriend, but he is very mature for his age. I did tell him that we have to talk about it with his dad. I read some of the other entries and maybe I will tell him that he can see this girl, but only when there are group activities going on.  That he is too young to be seeing her alone. When his dad and I were young we were allowed to go into his bedroom without anyone else. My son has already gone through puberty. What can I tell my son when the time comes to sit down with him, and his dad?

It sounds as though you have regrets, and you want your son to do things different then you and his father did. Thats a good thing to share with him. I agree with your suggestion for him to be with this girl he likes only in group activities. My 14 year old daughter has a boyfriend, and we allow him to come over, they watch movies together and play games, but the rules are that the doors are not to be closed, EVER, and he can only come over if me or my husband is home. The boyfriend's mother also has this rule at her house, so I feel comfortable allowing my daughter to go to his home, because she feels exactly the same way we do. I feel that as long as you communicate clearly with your children exactly what you expect from them, then they have clear guidlines. My mother never talked to me about sex, drugs, etc., and that led me to experiment for myself. I wish I had more rules and guidance when I was a teen. I also stress to my daughter that my intent isn't to prevent her from having fun in life, but I always have her health and safety first on my mind. I don't want to deny her any life experiences, I only want her to be safe and make the right choices for herself.

August 23, 2005, 11:44 am CDT

Teen Dating

When my children tell me at 12 that they have a girlfriend/boyfirend, it doesn't bother me at all...because what they mean by that is they like that person, that person likes them, and they have admitted it to each other. They don't see each other outside of school, unless they go to our church, and they never see each other in an unsupervised atmosphere. They do NOT go out on dates, in groups or one on one, at 12...it is simply not allowed here, no matter what their friends may be allowed to do. Set rules, and stick to them--although, with him living with his father, you would have to have HIS cooperation as well.  

So basically you do not allow your kids to have friends of the opposite sex right? They cannot go out in groups at the age of 12? Or is that only when they've told you they "like each other and have admitted it?  Sounds to me like once they tell you about it, they won't be allowed to see this person, except at school.  Whether you realize it or not, you are creating an atmosphere where your kids have to lie or withhold the truth in order to maintain friendships.  When you are so rigid in your rules, you send a strong message that your kids are not to be trusted.  Don't fool yourself about church.  I witnessed many teens making out under pews, behind doors, etc. as a lot of parents out there think everything's wonderfully safe at church.  Guess where the kids with all the insane rules go to let loose - YOUTH GROUP!!!! And this is also where the troubled kids hang too (ditto for the child molesters but that's a whole other story) Rather than coming up with "the rules" (like no dating till your 16, what a joke), know your kids and talk to them and communicate about life.... as it happens- whether its your magic "16" number or 15 or 14 or 18 years old.  Let your child live and be there to support them along the way.   

August 23, 2005, 11:59 am CDT

Teen Dating

In our home, dating is done to find a future mate....no child needs to be looking for a future mate. Since we don't want to encourage marriage before college graduation, we discourage dating for as long as possible. I agree that it doesn't work for everyone, but it does for us.  :)

Wow are you ever "in control" . If dating is done to find a future mate, why in the world would you allow your 16 yr old to be looking for a husband? That is scary.  You don't want to encourage marriage before college graduation? You should be supporting (not encouraging) marriage when your son or daughter has found the love of their life, not according to your schedule - after 16 but not before college.  Dating is meant to be a time of discovery - about ourselves, our likes, dislikes, etc. - a time to meet new people.  Whose life is it?  You don't know if its working because you are barely out of the gates, I would love to chat in ten years. Then we can see if its working for you.   

August 26, 2005, 8:05 am CDT

Teen Dating

Quote From: mauilover2

So basically you do not allow your kids to have friends of the opposite sex right? They cannot go out in groups at the age of 12? Or is that only when they've told you they "like each other and have admitted it?  Sounds to me like once they tell you about it, they won't be allowed to see this person, except at school.  Whether you realize it or not, you are creating an atmosphere where your kids have to lie or withhold the truth in order to maintain friendships.  When you are so rigid in your rules, you send a strong message that your kids are not to be trusted.  Don't fool yourself about church.  I witnessed many teens making out under pews, behind doors, etc. as a lot of parents out there think everything's wonderfully safe at church.  Guess where the kids with all the insane rules go to let loose - YOUTH GROUP!!!! And this is also where the troubled kids hang too (ditto for the child molesters but that's a whole other story) Rather than coming up with "the rules" (like no dating till your 16, what a joke), know your kids and talk to them and communicate about life.... as it happens- whether its your magic "16" number or 15 or 14 or 18 years old.  Let your child live and be there to support them along the way.   

Basically, you're wrong about how we do things here. They don't go on group DATES at the age of 12...they can go out with a group of friends, of both sexes, supervised, at any age. If the person they consider their "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" is in that group, fine and dandy...but because of the adult supervision, we can be assured they won't be doing anything they shouldn't be doing. They have never had to lie or withhold the truth about anything in our home. I know my children, I know what they are ready for and when they are ready for it. My son dated at 16, my oldest daughter, who is almost 16, will need to develop more emotional maturity before she is ready to take on a dating relationship. My youngest, who is 12, still has no interest in spending time with boys, and is very shy and quiet, much like I was at her age (I made a CONSCIOUS choice not to date until I was in college.) 

Oh, and I don't know what sort of youth groups you have experience with, but around here they are very fully supervised, with one adult for every five teens....and no one is ever out of the sight of the adults, period. And, since the kids attending are members of the church, and are known to me personally, as are their parents, I don't worry about them being WILD children, or troubled, or child molestors, or whatever else you imagine. 

August 26, 2005, 8:11 am CDT

Teen Dating

Quote From: mauilover2

Wow are you ever "in control" . If dating is done to find a future mate, why in the world would you allow your 16 yr old to be looking for a husband? That is scary.  You don't want to encourage marriage before college graduation? You should be supporting (not encouraging) marriage when your son or daughter has found the love of their life, not according to your schedule - after 16 but not before college.  Dating is meant to be a time of discovery - about ourselves, our likes, dislikes, etc. - a time to meet new people.  Whose life is it?  You don't know if its working because you are barely out of the gates, I would love to chat in ten years. Then we can see if its working for you.   

In control?  Having household rules and guidelines for CHILDREN is control?  Nope, it's being the PARENT to my CHILDREN. If they fall in love before they graduate college, and it's REAL love, then they'll still be in love after college, when they'll be able to more adequately support themselves, their spouse and any children they may choose to have, instead of settling for a minimum wage job and giving up their dreams "for love." Dating is meant to be whatever each person believes it should be....you have a worldly view of it, we have a scriptural view of it. Doesn't make one right and one wrong, just means we're different.  :)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last