Message Boards

Topic : Teen Dating

Number of Replies: 435
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:21:50 pm
Author : dataimport
Say it isn't so - your teenager is dating! Share your stories, and tips for making your teen's dating days as worry-free as possible.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 27, 2005, 12:37 pm CDT

Love Sick Teen

Quote From: jjirh1

I need help desperately.  I have a 17 year old that had his first girlfriend that lasted 1 year.  During that time she cheated on him with other guys but he always took her back.  During the summer she went away on a 3 week trip and cheated on him.  When she came home they broke up, actually she broke up with him. 

He wont accept it.  He is very distraught over this and we cant seem to get him over this hump.  He has become separated, mean, just got into a fight on Friday and got the you know what kicked out of him, from the kid she cheated with.  We are very much afraid something else is going to happen that is bad.  His friends are trying  to help, their mothers are trying to help, his priest at school is trying to help.  His self esteem is at the bottom of the barrel right now.  And he thinks of himself as a very bad person.  It is tearing me apart, emotionally and physically.  I dont know if he is in a state of depression or not.  I dont know where to turn right now before something bad happens.  All I do is cry over the situation to see him in so much pain and not think good of himself.  I just keep thinking the worse is yet to come.      

Can someone please help me?  I am desperate and so is my son. 

Your son still thinks there is a chance with this girl. Otherwise he would move on. He is DEFINITELY depressed!! He needs to get this girl out of his head once and for all. You can help by changing his surroundings any way you can. Take him, or send him on a vacation. Let him visit relatives. Take him out for a treat when he's especially down, even if it's just a drive for a soda. Get him out with kids his own age. Remind him of his strengths. Is he an artist? musician? play golf? Whatever! Remind him what a great guy he is in so many ways! Encourage him to go out with other friends to movies, concerts,parties. Whereever! It may even help to point out what a crappie person she is. Show him there are lots of fish in the sea. Kind and faithful ones too! Once he forgets her and gets on with his life he will be fine again. Guaranteed! 

Good luck! 

September 27, 2005, 9:03 pm CDT

To Starjammir

Quote From: tray00

I read your post and just wanted to say that I think if you love this girl you would make it easier for her to get her education.  Why not wait until she is done being homeschooled so she can at least have that.  I know it will seem like forever, but a GED is nothing like having the real thing.   

How easy would it be for you to convert to her religion?  Go to church with them.  tell them you will go every sunday and that will be the only time you see her until they feel you are serious about this. 

Hi Starjammir, 

You remind me of so many people. Myself included when I was younger. Consequently I can tell you easily you, like so many other young men, are going about things all wrong. What you are doing is tearing this girl apart. I had a boyfriend in high school who I could have gone out with me easily and with no horrid hassles from my folks, if he had been willing to get me home on time, and come in and befriend my folks. He was unable to behave, so my life was a living hell of sneaking, getting caught, and being disdained by the folks I still needed to become established properly in life. She is young enough to still need her parents to finish her education and get her feet on the ground. If you do not allow her to do that before you whisk her away, then you will be gaining a fledgling for a mate, as will you likely be one yourself.  You and she are building your futures NOW.  

Try to consider these things before losing your head completely and doing something rash. She needs you to be smart about things. Not defiant. Seek a peaceful way to get along with her parents, if at all possible. It will enhance your lives immeasurably if you can. 

I will say a prayer for you. Please let us know how things go. 

I'll keep a look out. 

MarthaAnna 

September 27, 2005, 9:20 pm CDT

Dear TaraSmith2

Quote From: tray00

I wouldn't be suprised if your 17 yr old is smoking pot as well.  You need to talk to your kids, talk to your 15 yr old about sex, ask her if she is doing it?  Your 12 yr old is going to drop out of school????You need to get a handle on these kids, they sound as though they are walking all over you.  Put your foot down, don't let them out of the house so they can't do this step.  Good luck 

I feel for you so greatly! What a dificult position to be in, but not an impossible one. Like Dr.Phil says, "It's time to get a back bone!" Starting by doing whatever it takes to get the oldest in line. Like you said, the younger ones will imitate the older ones. Set your rules, and don't take any lip!! Be willing to yell, inflict punishment, and stick to your guns. If your child steals from you, let them know you will call the police and report it. If you can't stop them from stealing from YOU, the police will be involved soon enough! Let them get a taste of such punishment BEFORE  it means time in prison. You will be doing them a favor! As you go about setting up these rules, be about getting yourself together too. Don't let them see you crying about them. Their behavior calls for anger!!! How DARE they?? I know one girl who's mother caught her sleeping in the bath tub with the water nearly drowning her because she had taken drugs. This is not a "correct" response, but effective. Her mother chased her though the house thrashing her with a belt, telling her she'd better never do it again! You can bet her daughter didn't!!! 

Good luck and  

Keep us posted! 

MarthaAnna 

September 28, 2005, 8:08 pm CDT

For Tara Smith

Quote From: marthaanna

I feel for you so greatly! What a dificult position to be in, but not an impossible one. Like Dr.Phil says, "It's time to get a back bone!" Starting by doing whatever it takes to get the oldest in line. Like you said, the younger ones will imitate the older ones. Set your rules, and don't take any lip!! Be willing to yell, inflict punishment, and stick to your guns. If your child steals from you, let them know you will call the police and report it. If you can't stop them from stealing from YOU, the police will be involved soon enough! Let them get a taste of such punishment BEFORE  it means time in prison. You will be doing them a favor! As you go about setting up these rules, be about getting yourself together too. Don't let them see you crying about them. Their behavior calls for anger!!! How DARE they?? I know one girl who's mother caught her sleeping in the bath tub with the water nearly drowning her because she had taken drugs. This is not a "correct" response, but effective. Her mother chased her though the house thrashing her with a belt, telling her she'd better never do it again! You can bet her daughter didn't!!! 

Good luck and  

Keep us posted! 

MarthaAnna 

Hi Tara, 

How are things going? Telling a person what to do is a lot easier than doing it! Do you see any more hope now than you did?  

Martha 

September 28, 2005, 8:14 pm CDT

to jjirh1

Your son still thinks there is a chance with this girl. Otherwise he would move on. He is DEFINITELY depressed!! He needs to get this girl out of his head once and for all. You can help by changing his surroundings any way you can. Take him, or send him on a vacation. Let him visit relatives. Take him out for a treat when he's especially down, even if it's just a drive for a soda. Get him out with kids his own age. Remind him of his strengths. Is he an artist? musician? play golf? Whatever! Remind him what a great guy he is in so many ways! Encourage him to go out with other friends to movies, concerts,parties. Whereever! It may even help to point out what a crappie person she is. Show him there are lots of fish in the sea. Kind and faithful ones too! Once he forgets her and gets on with his life he will be fine again. Guaranteed! 

Good luck! 

Hi, 

Are things going any better? 

Martha 

September 28, 2005, 8:16 pm CDT

To Starjammir

Hi Starjammir, 

You remind me of so many people. Myself included when I was younger. Consequently I can tell you easily you, like so many other young men, are going about things all wrong. What you are doing is tearing this girl apart. I had a boyfriend in high school who I could have gone out with me easily and with no horrid hassles from my folks, if he had been willing to get me home on time, and come in and befriend my folks. He was unable to behave, so my life was a living hell of sneaking, getting caught, and being disdained by the folks I still needed to become established properly in life. She is young enough to still need her parents to finish her education and get her feet on the ground. If you do not allow her to do that before you whisk her away, then you will be gaining a fledgling for a mate, as will you likely be one yourself.  You and she are building your futures NOW.  

Try to consider these things before losing your head completely and doing something rash. She needs you to be smart about things. Not defiant. Seek a peaceful way to get along with her parents, if at all possible. It will enhance your lives immeasurably if you can. 

I will say a prayer for you. Please let us know how things go. 

I'll keep a look out. 

MarthaAnna 

Hi Starjammir, 

How's it going? Are you having any luck with the parents?  

Martha 

September 30, 2005, 1:54 pm CDT

I think it's quite odd

Hello, it's the annoying swede again : P.
When I compare our two countries, I start to realise how different our two cultures are. You guys are talking about what age your son/daughter are mature enough to date someone, but in Sweden (where I live) we never have these kinds of discussions. Sure our parents put their foots down if they see their child (lets say it is a 14yrs old boy/girl) date a 20 year old and are going in "wrong direction", but if he or she dates someone that is 2 years older it doesn't matter really. If someones fell in love, it ain't much you can do about it.  I've gotten this feeling that all of you  think it's really  important that it is  you as a parent who alone talk about sex and relationships and no one else.  I don't  think it is right to stop someone to heve feelings for another person. I don't know, maybe american teenagers are "wilder" than swedish teenagers, or more immature,  but I can't see any reason to stop your teenager having dates and (maybe) make a mistake they will learn from. Just because they are dating, it doesn't mean you can't wach over your child and prevent any bigger mistakes. And about teeangers having sex, buy condoms to them. But yet again, our to cultures are different, you want to prevent them from having sex (mostly anyway) while we (sometimes not of course. We too have laws to follow) are more open to sex. I don't say that swedish parents say: "Go out and have sex you guys. Hopefully you get a STD!" but I think that "we" are more open to it and accepts that our 14-15 year olds are having sex. If that's wrong or not, I don't know, but that's how it is (mostly).
Bättre lyss till den sträng som brast, än aldrig spänna en båge (better to listen to the string that broke, than never tighten a bow... Freely tranlated by me :P. Sorry that my translation ability sucks :-/) 

October 1, 2005, 9:04 am CDT

Teen Dating

Hi Suzanne in TN. 

What I would advise is to let your daughter know exactly how you feel. Do not pull any punches with your feelings to be "polite" or "fair" to him. Spell out exactly what her future would be if she ended up with him, ie.: She would wake up to his face every morning, her kids would look like him, she would have to live with his decisions on everything, or fight with him about them, her kids would act like him, talk like him, and even be named after him, and if he grates her nerves now he would be grating her nerves for evermore. Point out where he lives, and how he lives and that that is what she should expect from him in the long run.Tell her she must be truthfull to herself about her feelings about him, and remember she is young and so very able to attract better. She MUST NOT CHOOSE ANYONE UNTIL SHE KNOWS HERSELF MUCH BETTER!!! And she must have the guts to tell this guy so, or accept the consequences. 

Judy in IL 

PS- Tell her there is no hurry to leave home, and give her all the space she needs, and help getting her on her feet. Don't let her go down the tubes without a fight! 

I have let my daughter know exactly how I feel. She says he is nice to her and is just a friend.  I don't mind him being just a friend but what bothers me is he seems to be her only friend and she won't put herself out there to meet more friends. I tell her that when she is at school, and has a break between classes, to hang out and study and strike up a conversation with someone. To get involved in school activities but when she has a break inbetween classes, he goes up to school to spend that time with her. I tell her she won't meet any other friends as long as he is hanging around. He makes a bad first impression because of his slppy appearance and he isn't ver smart. He thought Ann Frank was an Author living over her in our neighborhood and he was serious. . Now how funny is that and that is only a small example of the stupic remarks he makes.  He claims to be abused by his stepfather. He is 20 years old and I told him he didn't have to put up with that, to get a job and move out. He makes excuses for why he can't find a job. It is just hopeless. My daughter knows how I feel but I am afraid to bad mouth him too much or it will push her away from us but I won't accept him either. It is a tough situation and I don't know what to do. 

Thanks again for any suggestions. 

Suzanne in TN 

October 1, 2005, 12:01 pm CDT

i need some advice...

i have a question. ok, im 15 and i have a boyfriend. we have been dating for a little over 7 months. my mom has decided recently that im not allowed to see him at all outside of school. im not even allowed to hang out with my friends if she knows that he will be there too. her only reason for not letting me see him is that she "doesnt like him wants us to break up". but i love him & dont have any plans of breeaking up with him soon. ive tried talking to her over & over again about it & have tried convinceing her to let me hang out with him but it doesnt work. do you have any advice on what i can do to get her to let me see him again?? thanks. _michelle

October 3, 2005, 7:22 am CDT

some advice

Quote From: cestmoi_

i have a question. ok, im 15 and i have a boyfriend. we have been dating for a little over 7 months. my mom has decided recently that im not allowed to see him at all outside of school. im not even allowed to hang out with my friends if she knows that he will be there too. her only reason for not letting me see him is that she "doesnt like him wants us to break up". but i love him & dont have any plans of breeaking up with him soon. ive tried talking to her over & over again about it & have tried convinceing her to let me hang out with him but it doesnt work. do you have any advice on what i can do to get her to let me see him again?? thanks. _michelle

Interestingly, girls are substantially more likely to say they have a "significant someone" than are boys: 38 percent of teen girls say they have a boyfriend, compared with only 20 of teen boys who say they have a girlfriend. This divergence may be due to denial (or embarrassment) on the part of the boys, but it could also be due to wishful thinking on the part of the girls. 

Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get - only with what you are expecting to give - which is everything and I suppose at the age of fifteen you are not completely prepared to responsibly love.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last