Message Boards

Topic : Teen Dating

Number of Replies: 435
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:21:50 pm
Author : dataimport
Say it isn't so - your teenager is dating! Share your stories, and tips for making your teen's dating days as worry-free as possible.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 24, 2005, 2:45 pm CDT

How do you trust without endangering?

Hey guys. I am facing a new phase of parenting. My eldest is turning 15, and reaching an age of promised privileges(sp?) including double dating. With all that is in the world these days, how do I not smother my daughter, but not leave the door open for the mistakes we all know can happen? Angelzyn

July 24, 2005, 5:30 pm CDT

Teen Dating

Hey guys. I am facing a new phase of parenting. My eldest is turning 15, and reaching an age of promised privileges(sp?) including double dating. With all that is in the world these days, how do I not smother my daughter, but not leave the door open for the mistakes we all know can happen? Angelzyn
I can't say what I would do because I have 4 boys, but for as my friends who have daughters, their daughters are not allowed to date till they are 16.  I do remember my first date at 16 (he was 19 and my parents both knew him), my father had a shot gun sitting by the front door when he picked me up.  Anyway, I think if I was in your shoes, I would give it another year.

July 24, 2005, 7:32 pm CDT

Teen Dating

I have 2 girls 11 and 14.  They will not be allowed to date outside of a group gathering until they are 16.  my 14 yo is not even really interested in dating, but my 11 yo has already started quizing me about it.

July 25, 2005, 8:49 am CDT

What's the hurry?

I have a 17 year old girl and 16 year old boy - 10 year old 2 and 1.  I agree that it is best to wait till 16 to date, and even then explain the benefits of GROUP dating.   MY daughter finds that it eases the pressure of finding things to talk about and do.  If you are thinking that double dating is "safer" you are wrong.   It all depends on your standards and the standards you are teaching your daughter.  My daughter is not perfect, but she knows that she is not looking for her mate at this point in her life.  So there is no reason to get serious about 1 guy.  She has seen the emotional effect this has on her friends.  I always told her, a date is a possible mate, so choose well!   

July 25, 2005, 1:51 pm CDT

Scary

My daughter is 13 and doesn't ask she knows that she is far off from me letting her out for that. To be a teen in this day of age is something I am glad I am not. You are her mom and you need to follow your heart, do you think that she is ready and mature enough? You need to first ask yourself that and do you have an open relashionship with her that you can talk about sex and all that comes along with that? It's a big decision and I wish you luck!!

July 25, 2005, 3:27 pm CDT

just to be safe!

Hi everyone,

Well, I can tell you exactly what to do because its judt what my mom did and it really, really works. I was not supposed to date at all until I was 16. But my parents let me go on group dates with my friends as long as they knew who they were. They wanted to make sure that i could be trusted around other people and that I wouldnt do anything bad. Finally, a month before my 16th birthday, my parents decided to let me date the guy I'm dating now and I'm glad that they made me wait.. I think you should let her group date and make sure she is with people you know so she can prove she can handle the pressures of havign a boyfriend

July 26, 2005, 10:15 am CDT

why be so worried?

Why are you guys so worried about a date?
In Sweden (where I come from), we don't make so much fuzz about it.
It's pretty "normal" that a 14 year old (both boys and girls) are having dates, sex and relationships.

Why?
Becouse everyone knows about the risks! When you reach your eight year in compulsory school (?), you have sexeducation. It's obligatory for everyone.  
There they talk not only about sex, but how dangerous it can be if you're not protecting yourselve during the sexual intercourse and about every known sexual desease that excist today. 
They make it very clear that there is a chance that you might get a disease. Therefore, mostly of the teenagers are carefull, responsible and they talk about it whit their parents (not everyone though). 
Viinabragi, a 16 year old swede.     

July 29, 2005, 7:16 am CDT

Dating and Trust

My children (19, 15 and 12) have always known that the subject of dating will not even be on the table until they are 16, and that even then it depends on the level of responsibility and maturity they are showing us at that time. My oldest was able to single date at 16, but my middle child, who will be 16 in January, will have to show a LOT of improvements in her overall behavior and attitude before she is given that privilege.  And yes, dating is a privilege, it is not a right of every teenager at any given age!

Teresa

July 29, 2005, 1:41 pm CDT

Reality Check

Quote From: viinabragi

Why are you guys so worried about a date?
In Sweden (where I come from), we don't make so much fuzz about it.
It's pretty "normal" that a 14 year old (both boys and girls) are having dates, sex and relationships.

Why?
Becouse everyone knows about the risks! When you reach your eight year in compulsory school (?), you have sexeducation. It's obligatory for everyone.  
There they talk not only about sex, but how dangerous it can be if you're not protecting yourselve during the sexual intercourse and about every known sexual desease that excist today. 
They make it very clear that there is a chance that you might get a disease. Therefore, mostly of the teenagers are carefull, responsible and they talk about it whit their parents (not everyone though). 
Viinabragi, a 16 year old swede.     

Viinabragi- AIDs is currently the number one cause of death for males 16 to 44 years old. I think there really is an argument about whether a fourteen year old is mature enough for an adult relationship. You say most teens in Sweden are careful, but statistically Sweden has a very high rate of STD transmission and their own AIDS problems. I agree that communication is crucial, but you have a long way to go if you think that most parents on this board are ready for their fourteen year olds to start having sex. We provide sex education in this country as well and yet STD's are still an issue. Veneral warts and herpes, STD's with no known cure, afflict about one in five people under the age of 24. Teenagers are impulsive by nature and are risk-takers. They are that way in Sweden as well. Why should we be in such a hurry to have children grow up anyways.

July 30, 2005, 11:11 am CDT

My view of things

Quote From: boommers

Viinabragi- AIDs is currently the number one cause of death for males 16 to 44 years old. I think there really is an argument about whether a fourteen year old is mature enough for an adult relationship. You say most teens in Sweden are careful, but statistically Sweden has a very high rate of STD transmission and their own AIDS problems. I agree that communication is crucial, but you have a long way to go if you think that most parents on this board are ready for their fourteen year olds to start having sex. We provide sex education in this country as well and yet STD's are still an issue. Veneral warts and herpes, STD's with no known cure, afflict about one in five people under the age of 24. Teenagers are impulsive by nature and are risk-takers. They are that way in Sweden as well. Why should we be in such a hurry to have children grow up anyways.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last