Message Boards

Topic : Sports and Kids

Number of Replies: 66
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:28:51 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child active in sports? What's a good age to begin? Should children be involved in contact sports? Do you agree with the way your child is coached? Share your advice, concerns and stories here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 21, 2006, 7:49 am CST

KIDS NEED SPORTS

MY DAUGHTER IS 15 AND HAS BEEN RUNNING CROSS COUNTRY AND TRACK FOR 4 YEARS AND SHE LOVES THEM BOTH. SHE ALSO HAS PLAYED CHURCH LEAGUE BASKETBALL FOR 2 YEARS AND JV BASKETBALL AT HIGH SCHOOL. FOR 1 YEAR.  SHE ALSO IS IN JRROTC AT SCHOOL  AND IS DOING GREAT IN THAT. SHE IS RANKED 95 OUT OF A CLASS OF 421 STUDENTS IN THE 10TH GRADE. SHE ENJOYS PRACTICS AND MEETS. SHE RUNS HURDLERS AND OTHER EVENTS IN TRACK. IS ONE OF THE TOP IN THE STATE. HER GOAL IS TO GO TO COLLEGE AND BE A SPORTS TRAINER AND HER OTHER TEENS TO BE WELL ROUNDED AND HEALTHY. SHE HAS A BOYFRIEND AND I KNOW WITH HIS DREAMS OF GOING IN THE MARINES THAT SHE HAS A GREAT ONE. JUST LET THE KIDS DREAM SO THAT THEY CAN BE HEALTHY AND WELL ROUNDED.

February 23, 2006, 2:59 am CST

What are your reasons?

Why, do you the parent, involve your child in sports?

March 10, 2006, 6:48 pm CST

What About The Kids That DON'T Want To Play Sports?

I have 2 sons, 10 & 8, and they have yet to participate in a "classic" sport. As much as I'd enjoy seeing my boys at a game, I encourage them to chose what interests THEM! That doesn't mean they have no idea how to play sports; they just have the freedom to chose their after school electives, that's all!

April 10, 2006, 6:19 pm CDT

Sports and Kids

I do not believe that every kid need sports, exercise, yes but they do not have to particiapte in a sport for exercise. Not every one is good at a sport or do they even like them. The imporant thing is to get the kids involved in something that they do like and encourage them to follow their dreams and to be active and not come home and sit in front of the tv or computer all day long.

May 19, 2006, 9:31 am CDT

changes in the message

Quote From: sbecky1

MY DAUGHTER IS 15 AND HAS BEEN RUNNING CROSS COUNTRY AND TRACK FOR 4 YEARS AND SHE LOVES THEM BOTH. SHE ALSO HAS PLAYED CHURCH LEAGUE BASKETBALL FOR 2 YEARS AND JV BASKETBALL AT HIGH SCHOOL. FOR 1 YEAR.  SHE ALSO IS IN JRROTC AT SCHOOL  AND IS DOING GREAT IN THAT. SHE IS RANKED 95 OUT OF A CLASS OF 421 STUDENTS IN THE 10TH GRADE. SHE ENJOYS PRACTICS AND MEETS. SHE RUNS HURDLERS AND OTHER EVENTS IN TRACK. IS ONE OF THE TOP IN THE STATE. HER GOAL IS TO GO TO COLLEGE AND BE A SPORTS TRAINER AND HER OTHER TEENS TO BE WELL ROUNDED AND HEALTHY. SHE HAS A BOYFRIEND AND I KNOW WITH HIS DREAMS OF GOING IN THE MARINES THAT SHE HAS A GREAT ONE. JUST LET THE KIDS DREAM SO THAT THEY CAN BE HEALTHY AND WELL ROUNDED.

my daughter is almost 16 and is boyfriend free and loving her sports, she is planning on doing indoor track next year, her goal is to go to college and hopefully go to the nationals and maybe even be a champion. I have always told her she can do anything that she puts her mind to as long as she tries her best. she is an honor student and working hard to be successful in all that she does. she was the track girls team captain this year and looks forward to next year going further in all of her sports and grades. 

becky of south carolina 

July 5, 2006, 3:22 pm CDT

kids and sports

I think kids sould be able to play sports if they want to and if you can afford it.My husband doesn't agree with me on this at all.He wasn't allowed b/c his parents didn't want to take the time for practice and all that goes with it,so he thinks our son souldn't play, eventho I love to spend that time with them and watching them.My son14, has played football sence he was 5, but when he was 11,he decided he wanted to try basketball and now he doesn't play football,on a team,but b-ball instead.It is time to sign-up for f-ball now and my husband refuses to let our son play,eventho any kind of ball is all he thinks about! I think you sould let your kids play if they are ready for it but if you sign them up and they cry all the time or you have to make them go,,they aren't ready.I've seen dads that are the couch and they screem and yell at their kids so much that they just cry the whole game,or they call them wimps and other terrible names that I think are pushin the line of  abuse myself.These parents intemidate the whole team wheather they know it or not!! 

July 14, 2006, 3:49 pm CDT

Independence

Quote From: hscmeag

Why, do you the parent, involve your child in sports?
My 5 year old daughter has chosen to play soccer and t-ball all on her own.  I haven't made her do it. I am glad she is becacause it gives her independence away from mommy and another authority figure too look up to and obey. I feel it will help her  when it is time for kindergarten when she is away from me for 8 hours a day and has to rely on someone else.

July 14, 2006, 4:41 pm CDT

I agree

Quote From: jeanig

I have 2 sons, 10 & 8, and they have yet to participate in a "classic" sport. As much as I'd enjoy seeing my boys at a game, I encourage them to chose what interests THEM! That doesn't mean they have no idea how to play sports; they just have the freedom to chose their after school electives, that's all!
I am putting my 5 year old in an art class as well as piano lessons because that is what she wants to do, forget the soccer and dance at this point. She talks about being an artist when she grows up and she wants to sing on stage and play the piano at church and she, on her own has already talked to our Music director, so a sport just wouldn't make since for her, her interests are music and art, therefore that is what she will be doing.............I think kids should be able to voice what they want to do, and when they do then chances are they will enjoy it more then if they were just placed ina n activity. The imporant thing is that they learn and develop as they need to and as far as socialization skills and all that stuff, they can get it with out a sport gee! they don't even have to attend a classroom setting to get those things, it all comes down to the personalities and life styles of the home life.............

July 25, 2006, 8:35 pm CDT

Sport is Good

I am 14 and LOVE sport.I do representative gymnastics,athletics,netball and swimming club.It is so much fun.  

August 10, 2006, 5:42 am CDT

My thoughts

Quote From: rosebud415

I feel all kids should at least try a sport or two.  If they are no good at one sport then try a different one.  Their are too many kids that are over weight and live on the computer or in front of the TV.  I have a 17 year old daughter that was active in sports in 5 - 8 grade.  She found that she was not that good at them and when she got in high school she did chorus and loved it.  She also found out she loves to bowl and is in her second year of bowling.  My 15 year old boy lives for sports.  When he is doing sports his grades stay up and he stays out of trouble.  He does football, basketball, and wrestling.  I started them both when they were 4 in the YMCA soccer program and they did it until they where in 8th grade.  Know my 5 year old boy has been doing sports for the past year and loves it.  He also started in soccer, then baseball, then football, now basketball.  He also is in his second year of bowling and he also does tumbling.   Kids need structure and sports make them strong and they learn a lot of things that are not taught in school.  We have always had wonderful coaches and they have always cared about the kids and help them in anyway they can.

I feel all kids should at least try a sport or two.

I slightly disagree with that statement as not all kids are interested in sports.   I was never really into any type of sport as that was not my "cup of tea"   I did, however at the age of 13 try one season of soccer and never went back for any other seasons nor did i want to try any other sports.  

In high school my extra curricular activities entailed the creative writing club as that was my kind of thing.  Unlike my younger brother who was in hockey since he was 5, played soccer, baseball and roller-hockey and still to this day plays hockey that was not something, outside of that one season (painfully long) of soccer i was not interested in sports and no one forced me to continue.

Over my teenage years though,  my other extra curricular activities was drama - in my local town through the parks and rec. dept they had acting classes and at the end of the session we put on a play for parents.  I did this three times before i got too old for the youth classes and as an adult i had other interests.

Anyway to go back to my point - no child should get involved in sports unless they really want to and parents should never force them to join a sport.  If a child shows interest in other activities then that is what they should pursue.     Sports involvement is not for everyone and there are other ways for youngsters to lose weight other than taking part in organized sports.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last