Message Boards

Topic : Sports and Kids

Number of Replies: 66
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:28:51 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child active in sports? What's a good age to begin? Should children be involved in contact sports? Do you agree with the way your child is coached? Share your advice, concerns and stories here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 14, 2006, 1:06 am CDT

Sports and Kids

i am so not sporty in the very least, but i made an effort as a child to try a few things.  i am mostly the same today, allthough the sports i do is for the benefit of the kids.

it's inportant as a parent to be a good role model, and i want my girls to grow up with a healthy mind as well as body.

my girls started sports at kindy, school etc and i have just followed up on their....abilities and wants from there.

brooke began extra caricular sports at age 5.  she now plays full time netball.  drew started karate at age 6 and is steadily going through her belts.

it not only gives them a healthy body, but teaches them how their body works, also social skills come into it all.  as a over protective mum, i am keeping a close eye on their progression, i keep in constant communication with the coaches/trainers.  so far so good.  it's so good to see a child playing a sport.

August 18, 2006, 6:32 pm CDT

I agree

Quote From: starlett

I feel all kids should at least try a sport or two.

I slightly disagree with that statement as not all kids are interested in sports.   I was never really into any type of sport as that was not my "cup of tea"   I did, however at the age of 13 try one season of soccer and never went back for any other seasons nor did i want to try any other sports.  

In high school my extra curricular activities entailed the creative writing club as that was my kind of thing.  Unlike my younger brother who was in hockey since he was 5, played soccer, baseball and roller-hockey and still to this day plays hockey that was not something, outside of that one season (painfully long) of soccer i was not interested in sports and no one forced me to continue.

Over my teenage years though,  my other extra curricular activities was drama - in my local town through the parks and rec. dept they had acting classes and at the end of the session we put on a play for parents.  I did this three times before i got too old for the youth classes and as an adult i had other interests.

Anyway to go back to my point - no child should get involved in sports unless they really want to and parents should never force them to join a sport.  If a child shows interest in other activities then that is what they should pursue.     Sports involvement is not for everyone and there are other ways for youngsters to lose weight other than taking part in organized sports.

My oldest is 5 1/2 years old and she is so into art and music and this is where she is gonna be for the time being.  Next summer, she will be goingt o an art camp and she will soon be taking piano lessons, she is already int he bell choir at church and eventually she will be taking voice lessons, as she is the one who has brought these things up and when given choices, it always gears back to music and art.

I do believe kids need to be active and my though my daughter is not in a "sport" she is just as active as any other child if not more, she runs and plays and loves to walk which is a great form of exercise. She would much rather be out playing and having fun then sitting in front of the tv.

I believe it is up to us parents to love and encourage our kids and to help develop their interests and skills and so what if they are not interested in a sport, there are many ways of getting social skills and exercise with out an organized sport. Kids should be aloud to voice what they want to do and when  a paretn sees a potential in some form of skill then it is up to us to help them develop it and that is what I plan on doing and am doing at this time, art and music are great and if my daughter prefers those over soccor and t ball then I say so be it, go for it.

September 5, 2006, 5:03 pm CDT

8 year old and football

Quote From: jettav

I do not believe that every kid need sports, exercise, yes but they do not have to particiapte in a sport for exercise. Not every one is good at a sport or do they even like them. The imporant thing is to get the kids involved in something that they do like and encourage them to follow their dreams and to be active and not come home and sit in front of the tv or computer all day long.

I have an 8 year old boy who played basketball last year, he got tired easily but he did not quit.  This year he wanted to play football so we did. Spent a lot of money on his uniform and everything but he hates it.  so much so that he would get so nervous and throw up before we even left for practice.  It was a hard decision but he did not want to play anymore.  So we did not force him.  But im afraid that that may give him the wrong message like its ok to quit.  Even though i explained to him that even though hes not playing football anymore you cant go through life quitting.  I feel like a bad parent because when we told the coach and my neighbor who was playing with my son they pretty much said they would not put up with that and make their kids play.  And maybe their right if i make him maybe he will learn to like it, or resent the fact that he was not heard when he told his parents how he felt.  I dont want people to think that he is a wimp or something. not that i should care but deep down i do. Any advice.

September 15, 2006, 7:20 am CDT

motivation is a wonderous thing

well my 11 year old daughter is more motivated to play netball than ever before.  tonight was her clubs' presentation night & she got a trophy for her playing.  she's so proud of herself & can't wait to get back on to the courts.

sports can do so much more for our children than just keep then healthy.  it's just so good for them on many levels.

September 15, 2006, 7:52 am CDT

Sports and Kids

Quote From: masche

I have an 8 year old boy who played basketball last year, he got tired easily but he did not quit.  This year he wanted to play football so we did. Spent a lot of money on his uniform and everything but he hates it.  so much so that he would get so nervous and throw up before we even left for practice.  It was a hard decision but he did not want to play anymore.  So we did not force him.  But im afraid that that may give him the wrong message like its ok to quit.  Even though i explained to him that even though hes not playing football anymore you cant go through life quitting.  I feel like a bad parent because when we told the coach and my neighbor who was playing with my son they pretty much said they would not put up with that and make their kids play.  And maybe their right if i make him maybe he will learn to like it, or resent the fact that he was not heard when he told his parents how he felt.  I dont want people to think that he is a wimp or something. not that i should care but deep down i do. Any advice.

I do believe in following through but at het same time we have to use common sense. No way  would I allow my child to continue to do something that made htem so miserable and casueing them to throw up, that  would be cruela nd in  a way it would be abusing that child, at least that is my opinion. I really don't give a hoot what otehr parents think and  say, it really isn't none of their business.

Your son is not  wimp, he hates the sport and doesn't like playing it. I think I would just not get him into something thatyou have topay for, he can play ball and whatever just for the fun of it. He can get togehter with friends and have a good time. one does not have to be ina n organized sport to be healthy and happy. What does he like? Does he like art? music? science? Look around and see what it is that he would enjoy.

Unless my daughter starts talking about wanting to do  a sport, I have no intention on putting her in one, I have already checked on Music and singing classes for her and she will be participating in these when she enters the first grade and she is a hppy and haealthy little girl. She has accomplished a whole lot already and she is not evenn 6 years old yet. Sports are fun but not all kids are going to want to play a sport and thatis just fine. They wills till grow up withthe same advantages as those who do play sports. My daughter is involved in these things as well, just not the organized stuff and the good thing, there is no stress involved, it is just plain fun.

I would advise you to start looking into something other then sports for your son, it's just not his thing and he is perfectly normal and there is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

September 15, 2006, 7:56 am CDT

Sports and Kids

Quote From: hillsmum

well my 11 year old daughter is more motivated to play netball than ever before.  tonight was her clubs' presentation night & she got a trophy for her playing.  she's so proud of herself & can't wait to get back on to the courts.

sports can do so much more for our children than just keep then healthy.  it's just so good for them on many levels.

I agree that motivation is a great thing and when a child enjoys something then of course they will be motivateed and happy with what they are doing. Looks like your daughter is accomplishing good things right along with enjoying it and that is imporant. If she didn't enjoy it,then she wouldn;' have the motivation that she has, all kids deserve to be happy with what they are doing. good luck to your daughter on her future successes, she is well on her way.

September 16, 2006, 6:53 am CDT

Just a thought

Quote From: masche

I also have two boys (ages 4 and 8) who both play soccer.  I speak from experience as my little one (4)just started soccer this season.  It is a "clinic" team where they do not even keep score because of the ages.  He was terrible at practice, screaming, crying, kicking etc.  Then, I pulled him one day not too long ago and made a HUGE deal of it- you're not playing with your friends, blah blah blah.  My husband and I had a fit because of it but we waited until the first game and he did great.  Now, there are no problems.  However, you have a different situation with your son because he did play a sport before.  Have you tried to ask questions about why he's so stressed?  Are you at practices?  Do you agree with the coaching methods?  That's important, too.  My oldest had a great first year coach and I really believe that sets the stage for future involvement.  Personally, at that age with previous experience, I don't think I would have let him quit.  My husband and I both feel if they sign up they have to finish the season.  Also, what will his team do now that they are short a player and cannot get another since season has started?  To each his own but it doesn't sound like you are comfortable with your decision.  What were the differences between football and basketball?  He seemed to finish basketball even through getting tired.  That shows he has resilience and that's a good thing.  I would try to find out the reasons behind it before I made a decision. 

September 20, 2006, 8:18 am CDT

Sports and Kids

Quote From: jettav

I agree that motivation is a great thing and when a child enjoys something then of course they will be motivateed and happy with what they are doing. Looks like your daughter is accomplishing good things right along with enjoying it and that is imporant. If she didn't enjoy it,then she wouldn;' have the motivation that she has, all kids deserve to be happy with what they are doing. good luck to your daughter on her future successes, she is well on her way.
thanx so much.  i totally agree with u.  i don't even like netball, but if she enjoys it then i'll do anything to encourage her.

October 8, 2006, 9:01 am CDT

Quitting Sports

Our son, who is 13, has played sports since he was 5 years old.  He's played soccer, baseball, football and raced bikes.  The only sport he has really enjoyed has been football.  He has played this sport for 3 years.  This year he started playing for his school.  He has a hard time running because he is alittle overweight. But he does it!  Playing football has helped him tremendously.   Was getting his self-esteem back. He felt like he "fit in".  He did however, have a problem with his ankle-the doctor said it was achielles tendonitis.  All of the sudden our son used his ankle as a crutch for not dressing out in football practice.  My husband and I let him make the decision on what to do.  After about 3 weeks, our son finally started dressing out.  We thought all was well.  (Still complained about his foot, but pressed on).  Then out of nowhere I get a call from him saying that "Guess what I did?- I quit football today."  No warnings-nothing.  Didn't come to us about whatever was bothering him before quitting-Just quit!!  I asked him why -He said his grades- but he has B & C's. Didn't say his ankle.  Now all the sudden his foot is better. No limping, crying that it hurts-nothing!!!!  We let our son make decisions-but he has never quit sports before.  Not Sure what to think about this- He says he loves playing football and you can see it on his face when he does play!!! I don't want our son to quit something just because it maybe hard work or the coach "Yelled at him" -How do we get/keep him motivated?  How do we get him not to be so sensitive? How do you help him to want to be active?  I thought we were doing well on helping him with his self-esteem, but he seems to be spiraling backwards!!   Any suggestions? 

October 9, 2006, 6:46 am CDT

friendhsips

Hello

I have been reading the comments made by other parents, and I want to say, sports has been a helpful tool when our family recently moved to another area.  Having lived all of my 40 years in a small community surrounded by family and lifelong friends, we were not sure how the move to a larger city would affect our three boys.  (ages 12, 14,16)  Initially they were quiet, and spent thier time only with each other.  Since the school year and hockey season started, they have made friends easily.  What I like about the boys having always participating in sports of their choice is, they make friends with children who have similar interests.  Our children have always achieved good marks (80+ in advanced programs) and have always been committed to any sport they choose to participate in.   I believe sports, when not pushed on a child, helps the child to gain valuable tools in patience, committment, sharing etc. etc. etc.  it also helps them to make friends.

As well, it helps us parents to make new acquaintences as well, who have similar interests.  Our Children!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last