Message Boards

Topic : Sports and Kids

Number of Replies: 66
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:28:51 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child active in sports? What's a good age to begin? Should children be involved in contact sports? Do you agree with the way your child is coached? Share your advice, concerns and stories here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 12, 2006, 6:35 pm CST

Sports and Kids

Quote From: kschmittz

Jetta,

I do not understand where your defensiveness comes from.  I never said or implied they were missing anything.  I was trying to say you don't really know what they like until they try something.  For example,  your daughter's interest in art/music came from somewhere.  Without that exposure (wherever it came from) she may not have the interest she does now.  Seems to me you have issues and for that I'm sorry.  Yes, it does seem from these boards you are very overprotective but you've made it clear you like it that way.  That's OK but don't expect everyone to agree.  You have mentioned that is doesn't bother you but it's obvious that it does or you wouldn't lash out like you do.  I know we have different opinions on a lot of things but you don't seem to even want to listen to anyone but yourself talk about children.  Despite what you think and your schooling, you are not always right.  My children are a few years older and they are boys so my parenting experience is very different from yours.  Sports are a great tool for a lot of reasons.  Maybe you don't want your girls playing because you're scared they might get hurt.  Been there, done that.  My older son plays goalie and let me tell you I can't hardly watch sometimes!  But, HE loves it and wants to do it.  How dare you think all kids who play sports are pushed-again shows your naivete in this area!  I think for all of us are children are a high priority in the home so you statement is really obnoxious "my kids are a very high prioroy in my home and their daddy and I have the desire for them to be happy and fullfilled.."

"There is nothing missing my girls life and for that I am thankful."

Why do you get like this?  I specifically came to this board figuring I would never see you on here and guess what?  Here you are...talking about something that you are not going through.  You do this a lot and I wonder why.  Generally, when people ask advice (you have to be careful they are asking not just venting) they typically want strategies from others who have been through something similar.  They don't want to hear your life story over and over.  Most parents  who are truly confident in their styles and beliefs do not need to go into this type of forum and repeatedly talk about it to everyone.  I think it's safe to say that most of us are pretty "alert and open" to our kids wants/needs.   My kids are not missing anything either playing sports.  In fact, I think they are gaining skills they can use later in life. A lot of parents who participate in sports feel this way.  That's what THIS board is about...sports and kids.  If you are not experiencing this yet for whatever reason, that is OK, too.  You don't have to be involved and give advice on every child-related topic out there to prove you are a good parent. 

Actually, I have been coming to the parenting boards for a very long time and I was only stating how I feel and what my girls are like, I talk about my kids just like every parent on here does and I have worked with kids for many years and I have seen and heard a whole lot. Every one has differentt opinions and ideas therefore I will come and go as I please on these boards and I will say what I want and for those who want to listen fine, for those who don't, I say go on to the next posting. have a nice life K, and I will be back to post when I feel compelled to do so, juyst not to you specifically.

November 12, 2006, 6:55 pm CST

Sports and Kids

I think sports can be good for some kids but not neccessarily for all kids. I think the imporant thing is for our kids to have opportunities to grow, mature, think for themselves and to develop interests and as these things happen,then they will do well in whatever they are participating in. and though our parenting styles may not be the same, I think we all, as good parents follow our parenting instincts and do what is right for our children.  I think also it is imporant that we,as parents can go to bed at night knowing that we have made the best decissions for our kids to help them grow, mature, develop and achieve whatever it might be that they are striving for. Do all kids need sports to accomplish these things?In my opinion, no they do not, some kids are not talented in those areas, but in others. If a parent sees that their child has an interest or a skill in something then yes, they should do something to help that child build those areas of their lives, whether it is a sport, art, music, dance, whatever, all kids are different just as all adults are different. When/if my kids develop an interest in a sport, then we will discuss it to a fuller extent then what we had, but in the mean time, I will do everything i can to encourage and help develop the skills and interests that I know they have as I know that all good parents do just that.

November 12, 2006, 7:03 pm CST

Sports and Kids

the title of this board is sports and kids and one of the questions is "Should kids be involved in contact sports?" and this is the part of the topic that I have been responding to.

Contact sports? Depends on the kid, if he/she wants to do it and in it for the right reasons, I see nothing wrong with it. if a child doesn't have an interest, then they should not be made to play, there are many ways for kids to be involved socially and activiely in life. I think kids need to be built up and by using thier talents and personalities (which for most kids can be determined early in life), this can happen and the child can/will benefit from it.

Have a great holiday season every one.

November 16, 2006, 12:18 pm CST

Sports and Kids

I think that for the most part, children participating in any type of sporting activity is a very productive and esteem building tool.

My children had NO choice when they were 2 -3 years old and I enrolled them in swimming lessons.  No these lessons aren't considered a sport, yet can evolve as such if they so desire.

No different for me was to enroll them in ice skating programs at that age.  I feel it is a valuable thing to be able to skate without the fear of injury. 

Same goes for learning to ride a two wheel bicycle........it's a very real part of most children's lives in society.  If they develop a deeper interest in pursuing any of these activities on a competitive level.  I strongly encourage it.

Swimming is so important..............may save their life one day.  It's a shame how many children do not know how to swim.  Cycling and ice skating (here in Canada) is more of a social aspect among children.  If a child reaches school age and does not know how to do these tasks, they are often teased about their lack of ability.

Sad but true.

Now for full out contact sports.........well personally I don't like the idea of kick boxing, boxing or any other sport that requires a head injury ( knock out)........that I feel is just wrong.

Yet my kids all play contact ice hockey, contact football, rugby, baseball.........and a variety of other sports.

Contact in many sports are not to cause harm or injury, yet it does occur often.  Even in non contact sports........gymnastics, track and field etc........ even dance, often result in injury.

I say expose your children to the possibilities..........so long as they are having fun and building their self confidence they are onto a very healthy thing.

We owe it to our children to allow them to explore the possibilities..........I think that there is a sport available for just about every child, barring those with disabilities etc.

If a sport is no longer fun for the child, then I think the parent needs to reassess...........the why's?

Is it due to a pushy parent..........looking for a superstar professional?  A closed minded and harsh coach that is like a drill sergeant?

It should be about enjoyment for the child...........which in turn leads to enhanced self esteem and physical fitness.

Fredi

November 16, 2006, 12:46 pm CST

Sports and Kids

Quote From: fredastare

I think that for the most part, children participating in any type of sporting activity is a very productive and esteem building tool.

My children had NO choice when they were 2 -3 years old and I enrolled them in swimming lessons.  No these lessons aren't considered a sport, yet can evolve as such if they so desire.

No different for me was to enroll them in ice skating programs at that age.  I feel it is a valuable thing to be able to skate without the fear of injury. 

Same goes for learning to ride a two wheel bicycle........it's a very real part of most children's lives in society.  If they develop a deeper interest in pursuing any of these activities on a competitive level.  I strongly encourage it.

Swimming is so important..............may save their life one day.  It's a shame how many children do not know how to swim.  Cycling and ice skating (here in Canada) is more of a social aspect among children.  If a child reaches school age and does not know how to do these tasks, they are often teased about their lack of ability.

Sad but true.

Now for full out contact sports.........well personally I don't like the idea of kick boxing, boxing or any other sport that requires a head injury ( knock out)........that I feel is just wrong.

Yet my kids all play contact ice hockey, contact football, rugby, baseball.........and a variety of other sports.

Contact in many sports are not to cause harm or injury, yet it does occur often.  Even in non contact sports........gymnastics, track and field etc........ even dance, often result in injury.

I say expose your children to the possibilities..........so long as they are having fun and building their self confidence they are onto a very healthy thing.

We owe it to our children to allow them to explore the possibilities..........I think that there is a sport available for just about every child, barring those with disabilities etc.

If a sport is no longer fun for the child, then I think the parent needs to reassess...........the why's?

Is it due to a pushy parent..........looking for a superstar professional?  A closed minded and harsh coach that is like a drill sergeant?

It should be about enjoyment for the child...........which in turn leads to enhanced self esteem and physical fitness.

Fredi

I do agree with much of what you are saying. I am the type of parent who allows their child to develop interests and that is when we decide what is right for them. No my children do not play soccer, they are only 3 and 5, but they do participate in activities and they have fun,learn, are active and happy and as they grow and mature, there will be plenty for them to get involved in.  My 5 year old has seen soccer games, when placed on the field just for fun, she had an absolute non interest, at five, kids do develop interests and ideas and parents can pick up on those and get them into something that they are interested in which is exactly what I have done.  I agree with the swimming activity which my girls have already been involved in and will continue, right along with their music and for my oldest her art. I agree that kids need to enoy what they are doing and they need to be involved in something that will build their self image nad thankfully I see all this in my girls and that is what is imporant to me, their happiness and well being.

November 16, 2006, 9:14 pm CST

Sports and Kids

Quote From: jettav

I do agree with much of what you are saying. I am the type of parent who allows their child to develop interests and that is when we decide what is right for them. No my children do not play soccer, they are only 3 and 5, but they do participate in activities and they have fun,learn, are active and happy and as they grow and mature, there will be plenty for them to get involved in.  My 5 year old has seen soccer games, when placed on the field just for fun, she had an absolute non interest, at five, kids do develop interests and ideas and parents can pick up on those and get them into something that they are interested in which is exactly what I have done.  I agree with the swimming activity which my girls have already been involved in and will continue, right along with their music and for my oldest her art. I agree that kids need to enoy what they are doing and they need to be involved in something that will build their self image nad thankfully I see all this in my girls and that is what is imporant to me, their happiness and well being.

Well Jetta,

I will tell ya one thing it feel, sports so long as they are monitored and truly watched over with a community *eye* are the BEST thing that kids can experience.  With that said there are all sorts of different sports available to children.

My children are now in there teens.......yet sports have played an integral part of their lives.  Although when my daughter at the age of 12 decided she DID NOT want to play ice hockey one season...............I wasn't very concerned, she takes guitar lessons..........and up until a few years ago took piano lessons.

It's kinda funny, but I recall her saying that her piano teacher was far more stringent and difficult than her hockey coaches!  Not saying this is the norm.  NO.

Just saying that I really believe we own it to our children to expose them and allow them.......to decide without OUR bias's whether or not it's rocks our personal ( parental) world.

I was absolutely fine with HER decision.  But I will say that by the middle of that winter came she was extremely antsy and regretted HER decision.  Lesson learned I figure.

This is my ultimate take on raising children, and involving sports into their lives.

it's likely for *most* kids the best experience they will ever have.  Learning how to be a team player and a good sport is imperative to me............in how they will develop later in life.

Yet!!!

I am NOT saying sports, sports ........sports!!!  My daughter, plays hockey, basketball, baseball, rugby etc...............yet,

she also has huge interests in the arts.  She's in the upcoming HS rendition of Cinderella, she's on the Camera Club, the Cheer Leading Squad , the Poet Club.....Year Book Committee...........etc.

I think  that I would have limited her in some way if I had NOT given her the repeated exposure to sports and sporting activities and or opportunities.

Please don't get me wrong Jetta, I am by far not the best mom in the universe.  Yet the ONE thing I am grateful for is that I understood the impact of what being involved in sports can do for a childs self esteem.

Truly, with a genuine coach.........and the common denominator being enjoyment........that is what placing our children in any sporting activity is all about.

Take care Jetta.

Fredi

November 17, 2006, 8:53 am CST

Sports and Kids

I think it all comes downt o balance. Children need to be active, productive and happy. They need to be involved in something, making friends, being in a social atmophere as well as they need to be their own individual, able to do thier own thing without havign a bunch of rules and some one telling them what and how to do things. My daughter is 5, a normal little girl who likles to have fun and enjoys life. She isn't missing a thing in life. SHe is involved in her bell choir and her art classes that she absloutley loves, she has opportnities, she goes skating, rides her bike, loves to swim (pretty good at it as well) she also has opportunites to be at home and play with her toys, have friends over, go to friends, lounge, do whatever she chooses to do at her own leisure.

Unfortuanetly there are kids who are involved in nothing at all and that is not good but there are also kids who are too busy with the sports stuff that paretns become nothing but a ab driver for their kids. I believe in time out for the family, for friends, for individuality, for other activites as well, it is all about balancing life, setting priorities and every one being happy, content and achieving great things which at this point in life is happening with my children, They are active little ones with more firends then I ever had growing up, they are friendly, makes friends with others quickly and easily, thankfully they are not missing a thing.

And yes, I aalk about my kids a whole lot and it will continue for after all, they are the ones I know best and they are great kids, My home is very pleasant and happiness is very imporant to me. My girls, even my three year old follows rules very well and not just at home, they play well with others, in fact are usually the first to notice when something isn't right, they have good sportsman ship at this point, they play by the rules the best they can,they might not be perfect but over all, they are doing very well in life and when a parent can say that and sees positive things happening within their children then that is a good thing. No, my children are not in an organized sport at this time but they are just as healthy, good, loving, well behaved, disciplined, friendly, whatever (if not better) then any other kid I know and in all honesty, they make me very proud to be their mom. As they grow oldert hey will develop more and there will be more activites to put them, as their personalities and interests will change, for now, they are right where they should be, having fun with friends, playing in their bell choir ( oldest is getting ready for a new adventure in music as well), going to their art classes, skating is my oldest new adventure, My youngest is into her friends right now, meeting them at eh mall to play in the play area, meeting them at the library for story time, going to church to play int he gym with her friends there, everything else, she is not into and I am not forcing her to, afterall she is only 3 and like her sister, she will develop more interests as she grows and matures.

Again, it is all about balance and the kids being happy and fullfilled with their lives. Have fun with  your kids every one, got a big weekend ahead of us but the first thing is off to the mall to play and then preparing for a bday party, and getting my oldest ready for her Music performance at school as she is in in the kids choir, getting ready for the big Thanksgiving feast and of course the normal weekend festivities, no church on Sunday night so we will be home as a family playing games and eating popcorn. :)

Family is the closet to my heart and I will do what it takes to make them happy and productive.....................

November 25, 2006, 9:48 am CST

Sports and Kids

My 5 year old has a new interest, learning to play the bass guitar,LOL. her daddy plays and right out of the blue this week, she asked if she could learn and of course last night, the daddy got the guitar out and the child is catching on pretty darn quick, Will be interesting to see if this goes any where, I am not even sure if they make bass guitars for this age, who knows but I think she will be happy with the key board she is getting for Christmas as well, she has been eyeing those as well,LOL. As a mom, I love watching my kids grow, mature and develop their interests, I believe parenting has got to be the most awesome experience, Have a great Christmas everyone.

November 30, 2006, 10:22 am CST

SPORTS AND KIDS

In general I would say that sports are a great activity for kids to be involved in.  My boys now 11 and 9 both play a wide variety of sports.  I started my children in sports at around kindergarten and they loved it then as much as they love it now.  I think it is very important for parents to not force sports on the kids and only let them play if they want to. 

December 9, 2006, 4:01 pm CST

is there a limit

Is ther alimit to how many activities and how often you let your child participate in. Our family is spaced out age wise,a teenager who is involved yr round in overlapping sports.Constant travel and expense,Im talking motel rooms every weekend in the summer we cant actually afford so grandma helps out now after we have exhausted and outdone ourselves completely.We havent done anything with the two younger ones 5 and 8 for going on 3 yrs now no time or money.Its tearing our family apart.The wife says she wont even speak of slowing the teenager down so there goes an arguement.The teenager says I'm agaianst her and hate her and not being supportive,personally my wife and inlaws have created a monster that controls our lives.We are on the verge of loosing everything,marriage,home etc. It seems all attention is focused on this one child.Am i being a basher as Im described

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last