Message Boards

Topic : Sports and Kids

Number of Replies: 66
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:28:51 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child active in sports? What's a good age to begin? Should children be involved in contact sports? Do you agree with the way your child is coached? Share your advice, concerns and stories here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 9, 2007, 7:11 am CDT

HELP!

I am a single mom of a 15 year old daughter. Her father has pretty much abandoned her and has minimal contact with her (maybe once a year). I work full-time I carry her health insurance and receive minimal child support for Wayne County Michigan.  My daughter has been cheerleading in the community for 3 years this being her 4th year she made High School Cheer. The cost is outrageous. My family and friends tell me not to enroll her because of the cost (which I don't have) I rotate paying my car payment one month or the utilities. Some how it's working with late fees. Anyways, I insist on keeping her in to my family and friends. She loves it has always had a passion for it. She practices cheerleading at home in front of the mirror! I never practiced anything when I was a kid.  My feeling is that she is already "at risk" teenager with only having one parent.

But is it just my guilt that she doesn't have a "involved father" that I try over compensating and doing something I really can't afford? I've applied for scholarships in the community and have received partial scholarships. A Full Scholarship is what's needed. Not only are there the costs for being on the team, but then you have to pay to go to games and the gas driving to and from practice everyday.  The costs for taking things for the "Team Dinner" and any fund raisers (which we participate in all to the fullest extent)

It's Sunday I am working OT so I can pay to have our washer fixed the parts $100.

What to do?

Thanks for comments and suggestions.

September 9, 2007, 7:16 am CDT

Sports and Kids

Quote From: koolaidemom

Wonder what ya'll think about the fact that sports and kids have changed so much?  Let me share some of my thoughts and you give me your feedback.  I have 2 boys.  They both play baseball and football.  In the past they've both played soccer and they do play intermural basketball.  My oldest just started wrestling last year but he's not sure he'll do it again this year and the younger one is thinking about wrestling this year.

My wonder is about what we teach our kids.  Sports is a good way for kids to learn about life and I think things have gotten really crazy.  Around us many families have their kids in everything.  I do mean everything.  Every sport, every sport clinic, every training camp, everything.  Now, the rule in my house is that they can not do more than one sport at a time.  Many seasons over lap and they must choose which sport they want to play.  It becomes to much on everyone when we are trying to run here and there and do homework and have good supper and let the boys be kids.  So, that's my rule.  Over the years they have gotten use to this and make their choices and are happy with them.  Now, I also know that it use to be that there were tryouts for teams and not everyone made it.  Doesn't seem to happen around us.  Our area has an "everybody wins" attitude.  It would be lovely if everyone really did win but I just think that if you don't teach kids about loss as well as wins then you've robbed them of a basic coping tool for adult hood.  Not everyone wins as an adult and it's something that should be tought when we are children.  How to cope and overcome.  Use to be when I was a kid if you didn't succeed you practiced and tried harder and tried again next time.  Before everyone yells at me I do think that this should begin at the middle school age group.  The younger kids are just that.  They are young and they need a chance to just learn and play.  As the kids get older competition is okay.  Around us it seems to be a dirty word.  I think it's how you handle yourselves in a winning or losing  position that matters and whenever a person (man, woman or child) goes out on a playing field they should always do it with the knowledge of doing their best. 

Would love feedback on what others think.  I just think it's all gotten way out of control.  It's a game and 99.9% of our kids will not go to college on a sports scholarship and even a larger # will not become professional sports stars. 

Great points.

I feel Sports are a structured activity which we all need teenagers most of all!

Good for you only allowing one sport at a time. It amazes me how kids are doing two activities sports at once when exactly do they get to be kids?

September 17, 2007, 1:24 am CDT

Sports and Kids

Quote From: micheler36

I am a single mom of a 15 year old daughter. Her father has pretty much abandoned her and has minimal contact with her (maybe once a year). I work full-time I carry her health insurance and receive minimal child support for Wayne County Michigan.  My daughter has been cheerleading in the community for 3 years this being her 4th year she made High School Cheer. The cost is outrageous. My family and friends tell me not to enroll her because of the cost (which I don't have) I rotate paying my car payment one month or the utilities. Some how it's working with late fees. Anyways, I insist on keeping her in to my family and friends. She loves it has always had a passion for it. She practices cheerleading at home in front of the mirror! I never practiced anything when I was a kid.  My feeling is that she is already "at risk" teenager with only having one parent.

But is it just my guilt that she doesn't have a "involved father" that I try over compensating and doing something I really can't afford? I've applied for scholarships in the community and have received partial scholarships. A Full Scholarship is what's needed. Not only are there the costs for being on the team, but then you have to pay to go to games and the gas driving to and from practice everyday.  The costs for taking things for the "Team Dinner" and any fund raisers (which we participate in all to the fullest extent)

It's Sunday I am working OT so I can pay to have our washer fixed the parts $100.

What to do?

i'd suggest her helping in the costs. maybe she can get a babysitting job or something else. agree with her how much she helps to pay, it may not be that much, but everything helps. also try to carpool to games, so you will only have to ride half of the time, and meybe she can carpool to practive too, or go on a bike, if the traffic allows. if you can find a solution try to keep her in. maybe she will have to sacrifice something, is there another sport she's doing, or does she have a monthly magazine? let her choose between cheerleading and that, so you can save out some money. i would try to keep her in it if she really likes it, but if you really can't pay it, you just can't pay it. so that's too bad.

December 21, 2007, 3:22 pm CST

Sports and Kids

it'll be  good for her to learn about pinching pennies in order to meet ends.

February 19, 2008, 9:37 am CST

Here's an Idea

Quote From: micheler36

What to do?

In some states, it is legal for children to work at the age of 15.  How about asking her to get a part-time summer job to ease the burden of the cost of cheerleading?  Will she be driving soon?  She could also get a headstart on saving for the outrageous cost of insuring a teen driver.  Besides, the job will be good for her self-esteem and keep your "at risk" child busy.

Best wishes.

February 19, 2008, 9:50 am CST

Not-So-Sporty Kids

Here's the situation.....

Because my husband and I wanted to expose our kids to activities and adventure, we began their world of outside activities when each of them were three years old.  Starting with night lessons for alpine skiing (which they are quite good at and still enjoy the sport and have also learned to snow board), then dance, t-ball, soccer, guitar, piano, baseball, and finally, cheerleading and footbal. 

The problem is that my kids do not excel at anything but skiing/snowboarding.  They've lost interest in almost every sport that they participate in and want to try something new every two years or so.  I've decided that my kids are just not team sports people and I can't convince my husband to stop giving in to them everytime they want us to invest our time and money in something that they end up not caring about. 

What are your thoughts?

Signed,

Sportsed-Out-Mom 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next Page | Last Page