Message Boards

Topic : Stay At Home Moms

Number of Replies: 913
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:39:02 pm
Author : dataimport
Being able to stay home with your child can be very rewarding, but do you sometimes crave adult interaction? Chat with other SAHMs, share advice, support, tips, ideas, and enjoy a little break from the kids.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 14, 2005, 12:58 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: roxsndluv2

I am not homeschooling my children this year, but I did try it when my children were younger.I don't know what state you are in, but this state has a charter video program. They also aid with getting a computer to use as an aid  in teaching your child.  Contact your local homeschooling group. Usually your school administration building will have a contact name.  Are you using the books from the school? Or are you usung your own materials.  Is it possible for your to speak to your child's last teacher to ask how she did in a particular subject? What was that teacher's particular teaching style? Some use the book, some use their own material.  It is possible that maybe the material you are trying to teach her was taught differently, which could mean you might have to teach her from scratch.  

Take care. 

I am in Texas. The closest school to me is 45 miles, I contacted them before school started to see if i could buy the books from them and was told they do not do that or offer any kind of help. Right now there are no homeschooling groups close to me I have only found one that is 120 miles away, but i am still looking. I am using a curriculum so that has helped some. thanks for the advice i will be trying some of it, maybe things will be offered in the near future.

October 14, 2005, 1:14 pm CDT

homeschool

Quote From: momnchrist

Hey i have some questions about homeschooling. I read your message that you have homeschooled in the past and i just have some concerns. Maybe you can give me some insight.  I'm just not sure about homeschooling. It seems so many people are turning to that these days. I'm a stay at home mom of 2 girls. They are 2 1/2 and 12months. I see the reasons that moms stay at home with their preschoolers but I'm just not seeing the advantages to home schooling.  I know all of the reasons that they get one on one attention and all of that.  But we send our teachers to college for a reason. To teach and I am not a teacher. I want my kids to have the best education. I just dont see how someone without a teaching degree  can provide that.  Also i want to provide my kids with life experience and i dont see how homeschooling is doing that.  I dont mean to sound critical, i'm just wondering why so many people are going to this.  please give some insight into your reasons. I have a new friend that chooses to homeschool their kids and they don't seem to be open to discussing this.   Thanks for your help
Anyone can teach a child. There are plenty of programs, curriculums and websites to help with everything. I am finding that the reason my daughter had so many problems is lack of teacher responsibility. There are great teachers out there that take the time to communicate with you and the child but there are those that are so overwhelmed that they can not teach and correct a unruly class. I have been at the school every step of the way, talked to teachers who would tell me my child is doing great, then turn around and send progress reports home saying she was failing. it was very frustrating. I am happy to be teaching her at home, just frustrated that a school could pass her, and not take the time to realize something was wrong. They can also get life experience being homeschooled there are organizations they can belong to so they can make friends. My children have joined a 4-h club, they are learning responsibility in taking care of a animal and have self confidence in themselves to show that animal. I hope when you send your child to school you do not have some of the problems i had, but if you decide to homeschool type in a search on your computer and look at all the information that is out there.

October 14, 2005, 1:59 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: vhegar

I am in Texas. The closest school to me is 45 miles, I contacted them before school started to see if i could buy the books from them and was told they do not do that or offer any kind of help. Right now there are no homeschooling groups close to me I have only found one that is 120 miles away, but i am still looking. I am using a curriculum so that has helped some. thanks for the advice i will be trying some of it, maybe things will be offered in the near future.
the good thing about homeschooling is theta there are resources and info that you can get through the web and can have mailed to you as well. The public school system will basically do whatever they can to discourage you from homeschooling so it isn't unusal for them not to help you. Get your son involved in social activities and make school fun and he will enjoy it and so will you.

October 17, 2005, 10:37 am CDT

Missing Babies

Quote From: txs_wis

Oh, yes, there are some excellent day cares out there for sure but I think many many of them are just 'warehousing' kids until Mom and Dad are ready to go home. 

I did choose some form of limited day care for my kids at different points and times in their lives but it  was more because we live way out in the country and they had limited social interaction.  Around the age of 3, I would try to get them into some form of preschool for about 2 or 3 hours twice a week.  They got to go some place 'fun' (but educational) and I got my shopping done in less time and stress  free as I didn't spend my time chasing an active toddler around or wrestling them into the car because they just weren't ready to go from the store yet!  LOL!  This going to 'school' really did help to prepare my kids for taking instruction from someone else other than mommy or daddy. 

I guess with my friend, what behooved me the most about one of her comments was even though her kids were in day care from about 6am in the morning until 6pm in the evening (12 hours in someone else's care!), she claimed not to have missed any of her children's 'firsts'.  I am sorry, a day care will see your child's first anything before you do with that type of schedule, I doubt that they'd tie your child down just so they won't have their firsts until you are ready.  Although I do know of some daycares  that would leave infants and toddlers in carseats and highchairs for lengthy times and these poor kids had no activity at all! 

Does anyone miss their babies?  I mean, mine have grown to the point of independance and can dress, toilet, get snacks and drinks on their own.  I do miss having a baby baby around but really do enjoy my 'freedom' of not having to change diapies, clothes and a constant serving of snacks.  With 4 kids, it gets taxing.  This year, its a freedom of about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week while they're all in school.  We won't be having anymore babies.  4 is my limit, or atleast for now.  If we should desire more babies, it'll be thru fostering or adoption and hopefully in about 20 years some grandbabies but that is a long long way off. 

gdh, Wisconsin 

I went through what I call "baby lust" when my youngest (a boy) stopped being so cuddly at around age 5. I got a puppy who is a small animal and he seems to have taken over as my baby. I have also found that he keeps me on track with exercise cuz he ALWAYS wants a walk.

October 19, 2005, 6:07 pm CDT

Home jobs for stay at home moms

I'm a stay at home mom and would like to make a little money at home.  Is there a website that is not a scam for stay at home moms?  There are so many sites out there that are scams.  I need to make a little money to help out with the household.  If you can help me I would really appreciate it.   

Gunnison stay at home mom. 

October 21, 2005, 11:54 am CDT

Wasn't always a stay at home mom

I shouldn't be frustrated, I know that everyone has their own opinion, and no one is wrong.  But hear me out.  I truly believe that children develop properly around other children.  Parents can only do so much.  When these sheltered kids are finally allowed to socialize, they don't know haw to act around other children.  Case-in-point, I tried my first stay-at-home experience with my second child, at nearly two he wsn't speaking more than jargon.  I had Early Intervention envolved for speech therapy until his third birthday, guess what, wouldn't talk.  A month later I went back to work, within six months you wouldn't have ever known he didn't talk.  He needed to be around the other children.   

That's not my only issue.  Isn't there a law that says church and state should be separated?  I believe that school is the state.  If you want to teach religion to your child, do it on your own time.  No, you probably guessed it, I don't go to church, but this is completely not the point.  This is though-you can not avoid science.  How are you going to explain to your child where dinosaurs came from, or how about cave men?  How are you going to tell them about evolution, when they think God made Adam and Eve?  If God made Adam and Eve, when did they coexist with dinosaurs and the neandrothols?  This is only the tip of the ice berg for me.  I don't want to get any one upset, but the reality is, how are you going to deal with these facts when the kids grow up? 

If you have a logical answer, I'm all ears.  My mother tried to get into the Jehovah's Witnesses.  I knew a girl who didn't even know her own birthday.  Then she had to leave the room when we did the pledge of allegiance.  Okay, so your religion has beliefs, but I think it's a way to get your children to become total outcasts.  I suppose that's why you choose to do homeschooling, makes sense, but I bet they will one day be really upset that they missed all those birthday parties, and slumber parties, and just that good old best friend.   

I love my children and I love to stay home with them, I am out of work again.  But do I totally value the time my oldest goes to Head  Start for half a day.  She is so proud to show me what she did during the day.  My middle child has the homebased Head Start program, and my youngest goes to a play group.  I get to enjoy staying home, as well as let them be their own little people, I wouldn't do it any other way.  Not to mention, you can't tell me you wouldn't like a little you time now and then.   

Like I said, I don't want any fights, I just enjoy a good debate every once and a while. 

October 22, 2005, 12:13 am CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: leona0813

I shouldn't be frustrated, I know that everyone has their own opinion, and no one is wrong.  But hear me out.  I truly believe that children develop properly around other children.  Parents can only do so much.  When these sheltered kids are finally allowed to socialize, they don't know haw to act around other children.  Case-in-point, I tried my first stay-at-home experience with my second child, at nearly two he wsn't speaking more than jargon.  I had Early Intervention envolved for speech therapy until his third birthday, guess what, wouldn't talk.  A month later I went back to work, within six months you wouldn't have ever known he didn't talk.  He needed to be around the other children.   

That's not my only issue.  Isn't there a law that says church and state should be separated?  I believe that school is the state.  If you want to teach religion to your child, do it on your own time.  No, you probably guessed it, I don't go to church, but this is completely not the point.  This is though-you can not avoid science.  How are you going to explain to your child where dinosaurs came from, or how about cave men?  How are you going to tell them about evolution, when they think God made Adam and Eve?  If God made Adam and Eve, when did they coexist with dinosaurs and the neandrothols?  This is only the tip of the ice berg for me.  I don't want to get any one upset, but the reality is, how are you going to deal with these facts when the kids grow up? 

If you have a logical answer, I'm all ears.  My mother tried to get into the Jehovah's Witnesses.  I knew a girl who didn't even know her own birthday.  Then she had to leave the room when we did the pledge of allegiance.  Okay, so your religion has beliefs, but I think it's a way to get your children to become total outcasts.  I suppose that's why you choose to do homeschooling, makes sense, but I bet they will one day be really upset that they missed all those birthday parties, and slumber parties, and just that good old best friend.   

I love my children and I love to stay home with them, I am out of work again.  But do I totally value the time my oldest goes to Head  Start for half a day.  She is so proud to show me what she did during the day.  My middle child has the homebased Head Start program, and my youngest goes to a play group.  I get to enjoy staying home, as well as let them be their own little people, I wouldn't do it any other way.  Not to mention, you can't tell me you wouldn't like a little you time now and then.   

Like I said, I don't want any fights, I just enjoy a good debate every once and a while. 

children do not have to attend a public school system to socialize, come meet my kids and many other kids of stay at home parents. Both my girls are social little girls and has lots of friends, My four year old can point out houses on our street that her friends live. We have the neighbor kids coming to our house and guess what, she has a best friend, two as a matter of fact, a boy and a girl. I also babysat at one point, and my now tw ina half year old refused to walk, come to find out it was too hectic for her, the week that I quit babysitting, she was walking. My oldest is now in preschool for 2 in a half hours three days aweek and she is ahead of her class and enjoys her time there, she hasn't had a time out or anything, she is VERY socialized and it isn't because she was raised in daycare, it is becasue of her living atmosphere and the involvement of two loving and caring parents who are active and doesn't keep their kids in front of the tv all day long nor are they cooped in all the time, as a matter of fact, both my girls have already had sleep overs, without mom and dad there and they do just fine thank you very much. Darn right, my children is gonna, already learning about God and that He himself is the true creator of this universe, and no way on this green earth will they be educated in the public school system, My children are learning that it is ok to pray and read the Bible and to believe in creation, and becasue of our beliefs we will be homeschooling or sending them to a Christian school where they will get the biblical values and morals that they need to grow into good, productive caring adults. Christianity is about a relationship with the Lord jesus and until you experience that you will not understand it and as far as Jehovah Witnesses go, their beliefs are not my beliefs, there are different denominations and you gotta be careful not to get trapped into the false religions which there are many, but the Word of God is for real and as a parent, I will teach my children the Word of God. Just becasue we teach our children about christianity doesn't meant hey will be out casts, good grief I took my bible to school with me and read in study hall, and I was far from being an out cast, kids who seem to be outcast are those who don't fit in with their peers, they get bullied, maybe becasue they are poor, not the right clothes, don't get good grades, whatever, . My childreen color and do all kinds of things and I have ALL their art work and papers, even ALL the ones that they have done right here at home, There are many ways to socialize your kids, believe it or not, kids who are not in daycare are just as well off as those in daycares, some even better. Wanna know about my four year old, she has been coloring since the age of 11 months, drawing pictures with details since the age of 2 and writing her name since the age of two, does bais math now and sounding out words on her own, knows ALL the letter sounds, and can quote scriptures, shall I go on, and it isn't becasue of daycare. Any way, chioldren learn from their living environment and they don't have to attend a group setting, and my children are involved in activiites and doing very well.

October 22, 2005, 12:14 am CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: jettav

children do not have to attend a public school system to socialize, come meet my kids and many other kids of stay at home parents. Both my girls are social little girls and has lots of friends, My four year old can point out houses on our street that her friends live. We have the neighbor kids coming to our house and guess what, she has a best friend, two as a matter of fact, a boy and a girl. I also babysat at one point, and my now tw ina half year old refused to walk, come to find out it was too hectic for her, the week that I quit babysitting, she was walking. My oldest is now in preschool for 2 in a half hours three days aweek and she is ahead of her class and enjoys her time there, she hasn't had a time out or anything, she is VERY socialized and it isn't because she was raised in daycare, it is becasue of her living atmosphere and the involvement of two loving and caring parents who are active and doesn't keep their kids in front of the tv all day long nor are they cooped in all the time, as a matter of fact, both my girls have already had sleep overs, without mom and dad there and they do just fine thank you very much. Darn right, my children is gonna, already learning about God and that He himself is the true creator of this universe, and no way on this green earth will they be educated in the public school system, My children are learning that it is ok to pray and read the Bible and to believe in creation, and becasue of our beliefs we will be homeschooling or sending them to a Christian school where they will get the biblical values and morals that they need to grow into good, productive caring adults. Christianity is about a relationship with the Lord jesus and until you experience that you will not understand it and as far as Jehovah Witnesses go, their beliefs are not my beliefs, there are different denominations and you gotta be careful not to get trapped into the false religions which there are many, but the Word of God is for real and as a parent, I will teach my children the Word of God. Just becasue we teach our children about christianity doesn't meant hey will be out casts, good grief I took my bible to school with me and read in study hall, and I was far from being an out cast, kids who seem to be outcast are those who don't fit in with their peers, they get bullied, maybe becasue they are poor, not the right clothes, don't get good grades, whatever, . My childreen color and do all kinds of things and I have ALL their art work and papers, even ALL the ones that they have done right here at home, There are many ways to socialize your kids, believe it or not, kids who are not in daycare are just as well off as those in daycares, some even better. Wanna know about my four year old, she has been coloring since the age of 11 months, drawing pictures with details since the age of 2 and writing her name since the age of two, does bais math now and sounding out words on her own, knows ALL the letter sounds, and can quote scriptures, shall I go on, and it isn't becasue of daycare. Any way, chioldren learn from their living environment and they don't have to attend a group setting, and my children are involved in activiites and doing very well.
And by the way, I get plenty of time away, becasue I have a wonderful husband and he is an awesome father, We are a happy and fun family, and we are achievers.

October 22, 2005, 8:17 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: billkai

I'm a stay at home mom and would like to make a little money at home.  Is there a website that is not a scam for stay at home moms?  There are so many sites out there that are scams.  I need to make a little money to help out with the household.  If you can help me I would really appreciate it.   

Gunnison stay at home mom. 

Have you ever thought of selling something that does partys? I sell partylite and love it! it gets me out of the house 1 or 2 nights a week for a few hours and i make great money! you can totally choose your own schedule and do shows when you want to! plus you get lots of great candles!!

October 24, 2005, 6:53 am CDT

jettav

I'm glad your kids are doing well.  I do have a question though.  Do you denounce science?  That is about as truth as you can get.  I think your children have a right to know about it.  Just like meteorology, it's science, not God thinking that Florida deserves another hurricane.  There are just some things that are undeniable.  I absolutely do not argue teaching kids morals, or values, they should be taught from the very beginning.  My children don't do anything without saying, excuse me, thank you, your welcome, etc...  In fact, if I don't say it fast enough, they'll excuse me first.  There's one thing about religion you brought up I wanted to mention, about false ones?  Pretty much every religion in the world says if you do not believe in their God, their way, you will go to hell.  So doesn't that pretty much doom us all?  One more thing, I'd rather not live my life in fear of purgatory.  I'm not an atheist, I honestly consider myself to be a spiritualist, I beleive in life after death, ghosts, spirits, auras, paranormal activity.  There is just to much hard evidence, but my opinion of the bible is they are all stories, by the first authors.  You have to figure, in court, anything said from some one else is called 'hear say'.  Isn't that what the bible is?  A big book of hear say?  I'm just trying to rationalize it.  I think if someone wanted to live their life by a book, the dictionary is a pretty good place to turn.  There's a book of truth.  I'm honestly interested in your side.  I just never knew  anyone that ever homeschooled before, and I'm curious how it plays out.  All my thoughts are just blurted out so I could get answers is all. 

I socialize my children, too.  Each one of them has their own time out of the house.  That's all I was trying to encourage.  And to any Jehovah's Witness reading this, celebrate your child's birthday, it lets them know your happy they are alive.  I can't believe in a religion that doesn't let you feel special and appreciated.  Oh, yeah, I forgot, Jehovah loves you.  My birthday is MY holiday. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last