Message Boards

Topic : Stay At Home Moms

Number of Replies: 913
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:39:02 pm
Author : dataimport
Being able to stay home with your child can be very rewarding, but do you sometimes crave adult interaction? Chat with other SAHMs, share advice, support, tips, ideas, and enjoy a little break from the kids.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 24, 2005, 7:15 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: leona0813

I'm glad your kids are doing well.  I do have a question though.  Do you denounce science?  That is about as truth as you can get.  I think your children have a right to know about it.  Just like meteorology, it's science, not God thinking that Florida deserves another hurricane.  There are just some things that are undeniable.  I absolutely do not argue teaching kids morals, or values, they should be taught from the very beginning.  My children don't do anything without saying, excuse me, thank you, your welcome, etc...  In fact, if I don't say it fast enough, they'll excuse me first.  There's one thing about religion you brought up I wanted to mention, about false ones?  Pretty much every religion in the world says if you do not believe in their God, their way, you will go to hell.  So doesn't that pretty much doom us all?  One more thing, I'd rather not live my life in fear of purgatory.  I'm not an atheist, I honestly consider myself to be a spiritualist, I beleive in life after death, ghosts, spirits, auras, paranormal activity.  There is just to much hard evidence, but my opinion of the bible is they are all stories, by the first authors.  You have to figure, in court, anything said from some one else is called 'hear say'.  Isn't that what the bible is?  A big book of hear say?  I'm just trying to rationalize it.  I think if someone wanted to live their life by a book, the dictionary is a pretty good place to turn.  There's a book of truth.  I'm honestly interested in your side.  I just never knew  anyone that ever homeschooled before, and I'm curious how it plays out.  All my thoughts are just blurted out so I could get answers is all. 

I socialize my children, too.  Each one of them has their own time out of the house.  That's all I was trying to encourage.  And to any Jehovah's Witness reading this, celebrate your child's birthday, it lets them know your happy they are alive.  I can't believe in a religion that doesn't let you feel special and appreciated.  Oh, yeah, I forgot, Jehovah loves you.  My birthday is MY holiday. 

Christianity is about a relationship with the Lord God himself, and until one has experienced that, they won't understand it. the Bible explains all that and we also have the free will to live as we choose, God isn't gonna come down and twist our arms to live for him, it is our choice, I personally do not believe in purgatory but I do believe in heaven and hell and depending on how we live our lives down here will determine our destiny for everlasting and that is between God and ourselves but I do believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God but then again it is up to us as individuals how we live our lives and God and only God is the Real judge.It is all recorded in the New Testament. As far as celebrating birthdays,we do it all the time, nothing wrong with celebrating life. As far as science goes, I do not denounce it but I do know and believe that God himself created this great universe as I believe in the Word of God as truth, there fore this is what my children are learning and in time they will learn about evolution, which there is no proof of that happening really. (which by the way, Darwin admitted in being wrong while he was dieing and I am not positive but I think he became a Christian as well). People homeschool for different reasons, some may becasue of their christian beliefs, others for the public school system not so great, some, it may benefit their child more then in a group setting, whatever the reason may be, home schooling can be a great thing, not all kids can learn in the classroom setting, some kids fall behind as they don't catch on as quickly as others, some may be bored and ready to move on but held down for others to catch up, some do better one on one then they do in a groups, some have attention disorders or some other disorder that cannot be met by the teacher, what ever the case might be, if it is done right and with proper attention and preperation, it can be affective. There are regulations with it as well and they have to test just like all other kids, so there are rules to follow. It takes time and committment on the parents side and I personally do know home schooling parents and their kids are great and going to college doing very well. Also I think kids can learn more and better with more hands on experiences then sitting at a desk all day long and listening to lectures and killing themselves over a test, some kids do not test well and they freak out every time they have to take a test. I think for some, it is easier to study at their own paces and by doing this, they can do better on testing or papers. Any way, becasue we are all different and what works for one doesn't always work for others, I am glad that we have the option to choose what is best for our children when it comes to their education, they certainly deserve the best when it comes to learning and with all the crime and controversies on what and what not to teach the kids, it just gets rediculous.

October 25, 2005, 11:50 am CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: txs_wis

You know, I have given more thought to what you have posted.  I don't know what type of work your hubby does or how many/what courses he is taking but he DOES get to leave the house daily (I am assuming at least 5 days a week possibly 6 if he works on Saturdays) and he gets to interact with different people daily.  You on the other had live at your work place.  yes, you read right, STAY AT HOME MOM is a real job and it is not just one job but LOTS of jobs.  YOu are on call 24 hours a day for 7 days a week. 

This is a conversation my husband and I had back when our second child was born.  I'd be almost crazy by the time he came in (he works farming and that in itself a hard job).  He just couldn't understand why the house looked like a disaster zone, the kids were all over and supper was getting later and later each day.  I finally told him I understood the need for him to relax when he came home but he had the luxury of leaving home and doing different things in a different environment.  If work became demanding or stressful, he could at least leave it at the end of the day and come home.  I on the other had was at work 24/7 and NO days off.  Our kids are his kids too and if he could just play, read or do something with the kids before and after supper maybe things could get cleaner and quieter faster.  He went as far as to bath our youngsters and dress them for bed while I cleaned up after supper and did a few extra chores.  Things went much better then.  I was lucky that my hubby saw that yes what I did was a REAL job and I wasn't getting any breaks. 

We've kind of have hit a rough patch again recently because of on going annoying health problems on my part but after several doctors appointments (gosh as I get older I swear I am falling apart!  LOL!), he realized that yes I was in pain and that some simple tasks like mopping or carrying the clothes baskets aggrivated the condition.  He helped me assign the kids certain household tasks to help out weekly and gets after them for not doing expected chores like picking up after themselves.  

Maybe your husband can do some baby duty in the evening while you catch up on some chores and on weekends when he isn't working or in class take baby out for a stroll or even watch baby for a few hours while you goto market for the bulk of household items that he couldn't shop for during the week after work. 

Point is it is his baby too and he has a responsibility towards his child and his household and that includes more than just bringing home a paycheck. 

I know how you feel girl!!  Luckily my husbend recognizes the work I do at home.  But I do feel like he can't possilbly understand.  I really started feeling this way because our second child started "K" this year so I have half a day to myself, but I'm still doing house stuff.  I think your husbend needs to take on a little more responsibility with HIS baby so he can feel how hard it is to be a parent even though he works and goes to school he gets a break(that's one part my husbend doesn't understand, he get adult time at work) you don't you are on the clock all the time.  Also, you need to make a few hours for yourself a week because staying at home with a baby all the time will really start getting to you.  You have to be a mom, but you also still have to be yourself trust me.

November 1, 2005, 5:15 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Just thought I would drop by and say hi to every one. Don't really have anything particular to say, LOL. been having fun with the girls of course even though they have been on a sugar high I think this week. LOL. We do not do the trick or treating thing but they have their church party and of course had a blast and my oldest had a party at her preschool which of course my little one went as well since I was a paretn helper, so the candy they got, well let's just say I think I could donate some of it and still have plenty left over. LOL Hope all is well and enjoying the most imporant and rewarding job, around, being a mommy, wouldn't trade it for the world.

November 2, 2005, 3:33 pm CST

New Mommy here

I just wanted to say hello to all the SAHMs here, I am a Canadian mother of a 2 month old baby girl and 2 other children that are 12 girl and 9 boy. Anyhow just wanted to drop a line.

November 2, 2005, 8:11 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: wynterly

I just wanted to say hello to all the SAHMs here, I am a Canadian mother of a 2 month old baby girl and 2 other children that are 12 girl and 9 boy. Anyhow just wanted to drop a line.
Welcome to the board and congratulations with the little one. Sounds like you are a busy mommy. :) I have two girls Amy will be 5 in Feb and Anna will be 3 in Jan.

November 3, 2005, 8:58 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: logans_mom

Have you ever thought of selling something that does partys? I sell partylite and love it! it gets me out of the house 1 or 2 nights a week for a few hours and i make great money! you can totally choose your own schedule and do shows when you want to! plus you get lots of great candles!!

Hey, fellow PartyLite- er!  Gotta love those candles.  I'm over in WI and have been with PL for over 5 years now. 

gdh, wisconsin 

November 3, 2005, 9:12 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: jettav

Just thought I would drop by and say hi to every one. Don't really have anything particular to say, LOL. been having fun with the girls of course even though they have been on a sugar high I think this week. LOL. We do not do the trick or treating thing but they have their church party and of course had a blast and my oldest had a party at her preschool which of course my little one went as well since I was a paretn helper, so the candy they got, well let's just say I think I could donate some of it and still have plenty left over. LOL Hope all is well and enjoying the most imporant and rewarding job, around, being a mommy, wouldn't trade it for the world.

We did a little trick or treating, also.  My oldest now 13 opted not to go door to door this year.  It put a tear in my eye to see him grow up like that.  They did a costume party at their weekly bible class and had a blast.  The preacher there is a real good youth pastor and seems to really connect with the youth.  Keeps the kids interested in learning about history (yes, I did say history). 

glad to see people still coming to 'chat it up' here. 

got my kids into 4-H and they are participating in the horse program.  I have my horses and thought they should learn more indepth equine skills because sometimes they can more readily listen to someone else than to Mom and Dad.  It was a trade off.  Some older 4-Hers school my kids in the beginner skills and worked with those older kids to hone and refine their already skilled seats and to show them how to school green horses.  Its one thing to ride a horse that is trained, its another to train when you yourself are still learning how to train.  LOL! 

gdh 

November 3, 2005, 9:25 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: judyblue22

I went through what I call "baby lust" when my youngest (a boy) stopped being so cuddly at around age 5. I got a puppy who is a small animal and he seems to have taken over as my baby. I have also found that he keeps me on track with exercise cuz he ALWAYS wants a walk.

Luckily, my Amish neighbor who is about my age is still having kids and recently had another one.  She gets a kick outta me scooping up her baby and snuggling with little Suzie.  When I get to town, my Amish neighbor usually goes with me as we shop at the same stores anyway so why should she have to pay a driver to take her.  She's on my way into town and I just drop her off with her goods on my way back home.  I usually get a couple of dozen farm fresh eggs and other goodies.  Her two yearold loves to climb into my shopping cart because I will go faster or a different way so he gets to see a different part of the store than his mum. 

Everyone once in awhile I will get the urge to pick up someone's new born I see at the store just to get my 'baby fix' but I think I would scare someone too much so I keep my self in check.  LOL!  I do however, will make inquiries and comments because I know how new mom's love to brag and tell about their new little ones (I was like that too!).   

November 3, 2005, 9:51 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: leona0813

I'm glad your kids are doing well.  I do have a question though.  Do you denounce science?  That is about as truth as you can get.  I think your children have a right to know about it.  Just like meteorology, it's science, not God thinking that Florida deserves another hurricane.  There are just some things that are undeniable.  I absolutely do not argue teaching kids morals, or values, they should be taught from the very beginning.  My children don't do anything without saying, excuse me, thank you, your welcome, etc...  In fact, if I don't say it fast enough, they'll excuse me first.  There's one thing about religion you brought up I wanted to mention, about false ones?  Pretty much every religion in the world says if you do not believe in their God, their way, you will go to hell.  So doesn't that pretty much doom us all?  One more thing, I'd rather not live my life in fear of purgatory.  I'm not an atheist, I honestly consider myself to be a spiritualist, I beleive in life after death, ghosts, spirits, auras, paranormal activity.  There is just to much hard evidence, but my opinion of the bible is they are all stories, by the first authors.  You have to figure, in court, anything said from some one else is called 'hear say'.  Isn't that what the bible is?  A big book of hear say?  I'm just trying to rationalize it.  I think if someone wanted to live their life by a book, the dictionary is a pretty good place to turn.  There's a book of truth.  I'm honestly interested in your side.  I just never knew  anyone that ever homeschooled before, and I'm curious how it plays out.  All my thoughts are just blurted out so I could get answers is all. 

I socialize my children, too.  Each one of them has their own time out of the house.  That's all I was trying to encourage.  And to any Jehovah's Witness reading this, celebrate your child's birthday, it lets them know your happy they are alive.  I can't believe in a religion that doesn't let you feel special and appreciated.  Oh, yeah, I forgot, Jehovah loves you.  My birthday is MY holiday. 

Sounds like you've had a bad experience with religion somewhere in the past.  As for the bible being a 'big book of hearsay', much of it has been proven to be historical facts and actual events and they continue to find new evidence everyday. 

To those who read religious meaning into every natural disaster past, current and future to come, the earth has natural cycles.  Believe it or not, God designed the earth this way. 

Science is real.  No reason to denounce it just because of a deep seated religion.  Science has been used to prove the reality of the bible and then some.  Science has been used to bring a new understanding to the bible and the events is has recorded. 

I really don't know of too many religions that say if you are not of our belief then you are doomed.  Its usually those who interpet the bible who say that. 

As for homeschooled kids who are sheltered, I haven't met a homeschooled child who is.  We had neighbors in Texas who homeschooled and those kids were very well socialized and even were more responsible for their own actions than a majority of public (or even private) schooled kids.  Its usually fun and interesting to discuss religion with these kids because they've had more indepth study of religion (not just theology but also its history and events).  

My father in law was a Christian Reform church member.  Some are very staunch in their beliefs but he was very open to discussion of religion and its history.  He was a very strong christian but he was not a bible thumper.  I do have an Aunt that will mentally try to beat you black and blue with the bible even though you yourself are a believer.  She has a nasty habit (like a lot of churches do) of taking bits and pieces of scripture out of context and using them in their own interpetations totally oppisite from what the orginal scripture's teachings. 

By the way, modern humans did walk with the dinosaurs.  Go find the actual proof in stone in Glen Rose, TX and see for yourself.  And the findings are supported by christians. 

November 3, 2005, 10:33 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: billkai

I'm a stay at home mom and would like to make a little money at home.  Is there a website that is not a scam for stay at home moms?  There are so many sites out there that are scams.  I need to make a little money to help out with the household.  If you can help me I would really appreciate it.   

Gunnison stay at home mom. 

I have tried to reply twice to your post on this subject but for some reason it keeps disappearing.  I do have info I can share with you.  I guess goto my profile and get my email addy from there.  i'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. 

gdh, wisconsin 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last