Message Boards

Topic : Stay At Home Moms

Number of Replies: 913
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:39:02 pm
Author : dataimport
Being able to stay home with your child can be very rewarding, but do you sometimes crave adult interaction? Chat with other SAHMs, share advice, support, tips, ideas, and enjoy a little break from the kids.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 26, 2007, 9:54 pm CDT

younge stay at home mum.

hey guys.

im 17 and i have a 7month old daughter. my partner goes to work everyday and i get so frustrated staying at home. i love spending time with my daughter, dont get me wrong, but i find it depressing being at home all the time. i try to get out as much as possible. but still.. i wanna go to work, but people seem shocked when they hear that. they say Holly is too young. i feel ready to do my own thing and i also feel she is ready to go to day care. she is a very easy baby. and she makes me so happy, but i need my own head space sometimes! i go to mothers group once a week, but i wish it was more often.

is it normal for me to feel so depressed and bored being at home all day?!?!

thanks.

June 27, 2007, 6:34 am CDT

Well....

Quote From: barbieprincess

hey guys.

im 17 and i have a 7month old daughter. my partner goes to work everyday and i get so frustrated staying at home. i love spending time with my daughter, dont get me wrong, but i find it depressing being at home all the time. i try to get out as much as possible. but still.. i wanna go to work, but people seem shocked when they hear that. they say Holly is too young. i feel ready to do my own thing and i also feel she is ready to go to day care. she is a very easy baby. and she makes me so happy, but i need my own head space sometimes! i go to mothers group once a week, but i wish it was more often.

thanks.

Is there any way you could find a group w/ other mothers you're own age?  I wonder if the hospital you delivered at would have any recommendations??  Or your OB?  You could look in the yellow pages?  Also, I wonder if a pregnancy support center would know of something?

What other things are you doing during the day?  Even though your daughter is young, how about hanging out in park or mall play areas w/ her?  That way you'll meet other moms who are there during the daytime.  If you have the money, you could sign up for a Gymboree class.  Many public libraries also have "laptime" reading groups for babies & moms.  Go where other kids & there parents are.

My philosophy is if you put the same effort & energy into being a SAHM, that you would into a career, then you'll blossom.   But you need to be willing to take the bull by the horns, be self-directed, and make it happen for yourself.  You're in a bit of a unique spot because your peer-group are in a different place in life, so that's an extra challenge to you.    Also, most people are restless in their teens anyways. 

Is there a group you could get involved in individually 1x a week (pottery class or whatever?) in the evenings when Dad is home w/ baby?   What about taking a college class at night?  Some colleges will let you take a college class for free if you don't take any credits for it.

Hope some of these brainstorming ideas help you.  Best of luck!

June 27, 2007, 11:05 am CDT

Stay At Home Moms

hey guys.

thanks.

i'm not sure if it's normal, but being a stay at home mom isn't the best thing, and the most fun thing for everybody. my mom had worked since she was seventeen, and in her thirties she got my brother me and my sister. and she never liked being a stay at home mom either, she was bored, and wanted to work too. so it could just be your personality. furthermore it could be because you are a teen, but i'm sixteen, and don''t have kids of my own, but my boyfriend has two, and i love being home, taking care of them. although i'm not really a regular teen, i'm a bit of a strange teen..........

so i think you have to figure out what works for you and your family. in sweden it is strange if you don't put your child in daycare, at least that's what i've seen on tv almost every woman works there. so i wouldn't let your happines be influenced by what other people think. and if you're cranky and depressed, it's not good for your child either. you could also start to work parttime. so you have plenty of time with your baby, but also have some time to yourself.

good luck whatever you choose.

July 6, 2007, 9:40 am CDT

Newbie From Arkansas

Hi everyone.  I'm a newbie.  I watch Dr. Phil everyday!  He gives me so much insight on everyday life. 

I am 27 years old.  I am a new stay at home mom.  I quit my job at an art marketing agency after a mis understanding.  I love staying at home with my kids.  They are ages 7 and 5.  Their names are Sara Beth and Matthew.  Sara will be in 2nd grade this fall and Matt in Kindergarten (again).  I held him back becuase he just wasn't ready last year.  I have a feeling this year will be so much better though!  (:

I am engaged...to be married Oct. 27th of this year.  His name is Travis.  He's a great guy.  I love him so much!

I am interested in starting an online store to sell homemade bath and body products so if anyoen has any experience doing this email me...lol.  My fiance is actually doing the same thing with computers.  He works on laptops and desktops.    We are about ready to open a store online for that.  Otherwise, he's an installer of vinyl windows at a company in Royal.

I joined this board because I want to meet new friends.  Please feel free to email me at wheelerfamily1@windstream.net to chat.  (:

July 6, 2007, 9:42 am CDT

oh yeah

anyone have any experience in starting a play date group or mothers group or whatever?  i'm interested in that.

July 6, 2007, 10:23 am CDT

stay at home mom

I am a stay at home mom too but mine is by choice, I do foster care and I love what I do, I was brought up in foster care and my mom always was a stay at home mom. When I first had my two boys I put them in a day care center, I missed out on a lot of thing and I swore I would never do that again. So when we adopted our little girl I made a promise to her that she would never see a day care center. I got her at 4months old and she is now 51/2 and has never been in a center.

Everyone always asked me why I don't put the foster kids in a day care center and I alway tell them then what is the point of me staying home.

It has it down points don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

LORRIE

July 6, 2007, 1:15 pm CDT

hiya

hey guys.

thanks.

well im 23 my daughter is 3 i kno exactly how you feel im a stay at home mum and would love to go out an work but i cnt afford to i dont want to put my daughter in daycare because i have worked in a few and not is wat it seems i could tell a few stories my daughter is full of life energetic an a lil annoying to  and id be afraid on how they would traet her it would break my heart to think they were being nasty to her so i will start work when she goes to school i do hate doin the same thing day in day out and it does get me down a lil i live alone with her so there is nobody else to entertain her ,but id stil have it this way as im glad i was hear with her i saw everything  and everything she does somthing new  at the same time im lookin forward to wen she starts school but i think im goin to lonely without her as it been 2 of us for so long

July 6, 2007, 1:35 pm CDT

Working stay at home mom!

For the first 3 years of my daughters life I had no choice but to work out of the home. Then I was fortunate enough to met my now husband and I now manage rental properties and a carpentry business from home! VERY STRESSFUL!!!! But nothing can replace the moments I spend with my 2 children. I get to watch my infants first step, first word, I can go visit my older daughter at school. (when I was working I couldn't do that at her preschool while working). It's alot of work; 2 kids under 5, 2 businesses, a house to TRY to keep clean, 1 puppy, and a husband to keep me busy. I can't imagine doing anything else.

I guess I'm lucky, I get to watch my kids grow and stay in the working  class all from my home!

July 6, 2007, 7:00 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: leslieealy

anyone have any experience in starting a play date group or mothers group or whatever?  i'm interested in that.

hey!i have a 4month old and ive been wondering the same thing!!!!so if u find any info on playgroups or anything please email me at high.tension@earthlink.net

July 13, 2007, 7:00 pm CDT

Want to work at home to supplement income

I have been researching for 5 months working at home on the Internet.  I can't seem to find a job that is not a scam.  I'm a stay at home mom of 3 boys 8yrs old, 5 yrs old and 8months old.  I really need to find some work that I can do from home to help provide a supplement income for my family.   I'm very good on the computer.  Data Entry, Banking Loan processing, Principal Financial Group experience is what I did before I was bless with my oldest son.  Any Suggestions??

First | Prev | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | Next | Last