Message Boards

Topic : Stay At Home Moms

Number of Replies: 913
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:39:02 pm
Author : dataimport
Being able to stay home with your child can be very rewarding, but do you sometimes crave adult interaction? Chat with other SAHMs, share advice, support, tips, ideas, and enjoy a little break from the kids.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 18, 2005, 2:27 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: jeepgirl85

Even that wouldn't help. Last winter my husband lost his job, so I worked for 2 months while he stayed home. He told me, "I don't see what you complain about, this is easy." Yes, easy if I did it his way, no laundry was done, no dishes were done, the baby went to bed extremely early and we ate a lot of frozen pizza or take out. So, he still thinks my job is no big deal. 

LOL, Must be a man thing. The next time make a list of things that you do on a daily basis and he needs to follow the list and cross off things as he goes, bet his tune would change then. :) You have to realize that men and women think differently, especially when it comes to raising kids and taking care of the home. Myhusband is a wonderful father and husband, but when he is home and I am gone, he spends his time playing and/watching videos witht he girls, no big deal but nothing else would get done, witht he exception of some laundry which he is actually pretty good at helping with LOL. Any way, just make it a little harder for him next time, or of course you could try not doing laundry for a week or so and oprder out and serve frozen dinners for a week and two and see what he says then. :)

November 19, 2005, 6:01 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: velma9

I can relate to living on one income or no income in my case. 

I was laid off from my job 2 months before my maternity leave.  Than the company closed just after my leave was up.  So I had no job to return to.  Than my sons father kicked us out of the house a few months later.  I was left with no choice but to apply for social assistance.  Which I'll tell you , you can barely live on it.  Sometimes its a choice to eat or pay bills..(I choose to eat!!)So I know all about the struggle.  But like you, you find a way to manage like clipping coupon and I can remember the last time I ate out.  Fortunately, my son is a very picky eater so eating out for him isn't an option.  So before my son starts school I'm finishing my college education from home so I can get a good paying job when he goes to school, and create a good future for the both of us. 

I guess I just want to say when the going gets tough, the tough get stronger!!!!!!(and more thirfty..HAHA) 

Sorry it took me so long to get back on here. My daughter was sick with RSV for a few weeks. We pretty much just stayed in bed for about 2 weeks solid, with the exception of several trips to the emergency room and doctors office. We had some very scary moments when she stopped breathing several times. She has recovered with no permanent damage THANK GOD!! 

This is another good reason for me to stay at home with her. If I had been working while she was sick I would have had to rely on a babysitter to take care of her, give her medicine, and keep her hydrated. Plus I would have missed a lot of work and put my job at risk. I'm not sure a sitter would have had the patience to deal her moaning and crying, at least not like her Mommy did. :-)  

November 19, 2005, 7:33 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: trismac

Sorry it took me so long to get back on here. My daughter was sick with RSV for a few weeks. We pretty much just stayed in bed for about 2 weeks solid, with the exception of several trips to the emergency room and doctors office. We had some very scary moments when she stopped breathing several times. She has recovered with no permanent damage THANK GOD!! 

This is another good reason for me to stay at home with her. If I had been working while she was sick I would have had to rely on a babysitter to take care of her, give her medicine, and keep her hydrated. Plus I would have missed a lot of work and put my job at risk. I'm not sure a sitter would have had the patience to deal her moaning and crying, at least not like her Mommy did. :-)  

I am glad to hear that your daughter is doing much better, Must have been very scary for you all. I understand what you are saying about a sitter, My daughters are healthy but have absolutely no desire to have a sitter in my homeon a regular basis, I just feel that I am theri mommy and I am the best care giver for them, I know what they need and like and I want to be the one caring for them. I definetly believe that mommy knows best and it sounds like you are doing a eonderful job with your daughter. :)

November 19, 2005, 8:07 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: jettav

I am glad to hear that your daughter is doing much better, Must have been very scary for you all. I understand what you are saying about a sitter, My daughters are healthy but have absolutely no desire to have a sitter in my homeon a regular basis, I just feel that I am theri mommy and I am the best care giver for them, I know what they need and like and I want to be the one caring for them. I definetly believe that mommy knows best and it sounds like you are doing a eonderful job with your daughter. :)

Thank you for your concern. It was VERY scary!! IF my daughter and I were not bonded before she got sick we certainly are now.  

I completely agree with you about being the best one to care for your children because noone knows what your daughters want and need more than you do. You probably even know BEFORE they do. As much as I adore my Mother I would not let even her babysit for more than a few hours at a time and never two days in a row. She loves her very much, but tries to feed her when she needs a diaper change, or puts her in bed when she's hungry. I'd rather just take care of my daughter myself than upset her entire day. 

November 22, 2005, 9:44 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: trismac

Thank you for your concern. It was VERY scary!! IF my daughter and I were not bonded before she got sick we certainly are now.  

I completely agree with you about being the best one to care for your children because noone knows what your daughters want and need more than you do. You probably even know BEFORE they do. As much as I adore my Mother I would not let even her babysit for more than a few hours at a time and never two days in a row. She loves her very much, but tries to feed her when she needs a diaper change, or puts her in bed when she's hungry. I'd rather just take care of my daughter myself than upset her entire day. 

I know what you mean, we would have my paretrns watching my girls for two nights on our anniversary week and all I did was think and talk about them LOL. Just couldn't stand teh idea of them not being woth us and wondering if everything was ok, (though deep down, I knew they were fine), we haven't done this set up for a while now, since my father had his stroke but I must admit, though I miss my weekend time with my hubby, I do not miss dropping my girls off for the two days. I trust my paretns as well as good friends but I just feel I need to be the one taking care of my children and me being at home with them on a regular basis is a great blessing for me. :) Have a nice Thanksgiving.

November 24, 2005, 1:45 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: jettav

I know what you mean, we would have my paretrns watching my girls for two nights on our anniversary week and all I did was think and talk about them LOL. Just couldn't stand teh idea of them not being woth us and wondering if everything was ok, (though deep down, I knew they were fine), we haven't done this set up for a while now, since my father had his stroke but I must admit, though I miss my weekend time with my hubby, I do not miss dropping my girls off for the two days. I trust my paretns as well as good friends but I just feel I need to be the one taking care of my children and me being at home with them on a regular basis is a great blessing for me. :) Have a nice Thanksgiving.

trismac 

glad to hear your little one is doing much better and I hope she continues to stay well. 

I hear ya both on taking care of your own kids.  I trust my parents too but feel that my kids need mommy more.  Back in '99, we went to Holland for my father in law's funneral but I missed the kids something fierce.  My youngest is now almost 5 and I need a short break from them but boy, I know how much I would miss them. 

November 30, 2005, 3:57 pm CST

working from home

I am a mother of one 10 mo. old baby and i work part time, but it is my desire to stay at home with my son.  I want to have another child in the next 2 yrs. and i really don't want to have to work then.  Right now i am a cosmetologist, and i make my own hours, but it doesn't allow me to have my son with me.  My desire is to be home with him doing the wifely, and motherly duties, but i have to have some kind of an income especially if i ever want to have a home of our own. So i am writing to see if anyone has any ideas for me, or knows of any legit co. out there for working from home.  Please respond.  Thanks

November 30, 2005, 4:11 pm CST

RE: Working from home

Quote From: skichik80

I am a mother of one 10 mo. old baby and i work part time, but it is my desire to stay at home with my son.  I want to have another child in the next 2 yrs. and i really don't want to have to work then.  Right now i am a cosmetologist, and i make my own hours, but it doesn't allow me to have my son with me.  My desire is to be home with him doing the wifely, and motherly duties, but i have to have some kind of an income especially if i ever want to have a home of our own. So i am writing to see if anyone has any ideas for me, or knows of any legit co. out there for working from home.  Please respond.  Thanks
Dr. Phil did a show that touched on this topic in the past. I twas called "Moms and Money Conflicts (http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/600/) A resource from that show is a list of Working From Home job ideas that can be found here. http://www.drphil.com/articles/article/494

December 6, 2005, 9:27 am CST

winter activities ideas

OK, Y'all.  What winter activities do y'all do when it is too cold and nasty to be out?  I'm a native Texan living in the north.  I can come up with lots of stuff but am always looking for different things for the kids especial inexpensive things. 

gdh 

Wisconsin 

December 6, 2005, 1:41 pm CST

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: txs_wis

OK, Y'all.  What winter activities do y'all do when it is too cold and nasty to be out?  I'm a native Texan living in the north.  I can come up with lots of stuff but am always looking for different things for the kids especial inexpensive things. 

gdh 

Wisconsin 

We do alot of crafts around here so I make sure there are plenty of items and ideas. We do more living room campouts and rent movies and eat snacks. Of course we are into scrapbooking which my almost 5 year old loves and we like putting on shows, (well, the girls do any way), They like costumes and they always get a costume for Christmas and we are going to make some home movies this winter. We plan on making cards and baking and decorating cookies for the shut in's and the girls are getiing a puppet stage and puppets for Christmas so we will be putting on puppet shows and making some puppets. Board games are always fun and now that my youngest is starting to get interested in them, it certainly will be easier. :) also some cool websites is www.starfall.com (reading for various ages), www.Iknowthat.com(science, math plus more),www.Bigidea.com(Veggie Tale site with lots of cool games). And of course we will be out playing in the snow doing cool stuff when it is possible. These are a few ideas that we will be doing, and with the cool stuff that the girls will be getting for Christmas, I don't think they will have time to get bored LOL. hopefully, there will be no ice storms and our power stays on:).

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last