Message Boards

Topic : Stay At Home Moms

Number of Replies: 913
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:39:02 pm
Author : dataimport
Being able to stay home with your child can be very rewarding, but do you sometimes crave adult interaction? Chat with other SAHMs, share advice, support, tips, ideas, and enjoy a little break from the kids.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 30, 2007, 8:07 pm CST

Waiting for that instinct

Hi All,

My name is Mary, I'm 25yrs old and as of November a mother of two girls. I'm a stay at home mom (what a concept) and not very good at it. I cant get the baby to sleep or my 8yr old to act her age. This is the first time I have not needed or had a job in my adult life and I want to go back to work! lol

I love both of my girls. I miscarried four babies in between, so I know they are blessings. But I wish they had another mother. How sick is that? I play things  in my head that I should say or do but never do it. I love my better half but he leaves alot in my hands that a real mother should be able to handle.

While I'm here...does anyone have any tips on how to make a 7week old sleep?

January 16, 2008, 9:17 pm CST

coming from mother of 5 and i am a stay at home mom

Quote From: sweetagony

Hi All,

My name is Mary, I'm 25yrs old and as of November a mother of two girls. I'm a stay at home mom (what a concept) and not very good at it. I cant get the baby to sleep or my 8yr old to act her age. This is the first time I have not needed or had a job in my adult life and I want to go back to work! lol

I love both of my girls. I miscarried four babies in between, so I know they are blessings. But I wish they had another mother. How sick is that? I play things  in my head that I should say or do but never do it. I love my better half but he leaves alot in my hands that a real mother should be able to handle.

While I'm here...does anyone have any tips on how to make a 7week old sleep?

I am a 26 year old mother of six and the thing that i always used was a good warm bath and a warm bottle of mile with a teaspoon of baby cereal in it and it always did the trick.... Hope you try it and it works..

Jessica

January 16, 2008, 9:46 pm CST

mom going crazy

I am a mother of 5 and i am also a stay at home mom. I love being with me kids, but honestly i need some alone time and adult time. I have two boys that are 8 and 6 and they fight all the time, it does not matter what you do they just want stop. and then I have a 5 year girl that thinks that she is 25 and her mouth is about to drive me insane. Then the main one is my 3 year old, I cant even hardly go to the restroom without him. All the other kids are in school so during the day it is just me and him. I like to go places, but with him it is very hard to do cause he hates leaving the house and he will cry and whine till i come home, that is all that he wants to do is stay home all the time. Please how can i break that. And he will not stay with anyone not eve grandparents with crying is there some way to stop all this with him if so please let me know.... Then my fifth child is a 13 year old stepdaughter that i love dearly but the thing is she lives with my husbands mother and she is very spoiled and they think that nothing we do is good enough, and she has and does things that my kids cant and that is really starting to bother them they are starting to figure it all out and they wonder why their grandparents don't do for them. I mean they never do for them it is like they are not even there. How do i help them get through the difference between them and her and what do i need to do... Please help on that one.. And as far as being stressed out and depressed all the time that is me. I love what i do but it really wears me out. I am going insane. I seem to get mad over nothing and like to scream all the time. help is all that i need are should i say advice.....

February 4, 2008, 11:08 am CST

Do You Feel Guilty For Needing Time Alone???

Do You Feel Guilty For Needing Time Alone???
Current mood: mellow
Category: Religion and Philosophy

WELL DON'T...

You are not a machine, you were made in Christ's image and look how many times He had to go off and be alone....ahh never thought of it that way huh? Look, needing time alone is normal...feeling guilty for taking it is not...that is just the enemy whispering in your ear......"what's wrong with you? Why do you need time alone? Your kids don't get enough time with you as it is." You aren't going to be good to anyone if you don't take care of yourself first. You probably are already a wreck and need time, but you keep pushing ahead and making everyone around you miserable. (I say it cause I love you) :)

I wrote this letter to one our moms today....she expressed feeling guilty for needing time alone, this was my response to her....maybe it can help you too!

"Hey! I am glad you wrote....first you know what? It is ok for you to feel the way you do...it is OK! Deep breath. Sounds like you got a lot going on and you are trying to make a lot happen for you and your family and you know what? It is ok what you feel and it is normal for you to feel that way. The light at the tunnel is that you are moving and moving towards some people who can help...that is huge, so huge I wish I had that. I have to work really hard everyday to make things happen for my daughter with other people because everyone lives so far away...and I work from home and sometimes I need to break out and be alone. So you know what???? That is ok too.

It is ok for you and I and moms to say....TIME OUT! MOM NEEDS A TIME OUT. Once a month I go grocery shopping at 10 PM on a Saturday night. I get a coffee and walk around and ha ha....sounds dumb but, it works..and there is no one there to stress me out...and my husband and daughter are home sleeping. Or I go out to church on a Friday night or during the week. Or I pick one night every other week to just go out alone and get alone time. It doesn't matter what I am doing as long as I am setting the tone for myself and at home that, "mommy is going to go out for a bit."

We need that.....and if you experienced postpartum.....getting regular alone time to reboot and refresh is important!!! Don't feel guilty for looking forward to alone time. Instead when you feel guilty start by thinking.....its a mental health date for you....and check out. It helps me so much. Even when I'm like, what is 2 hours going to really do? I come home refreshed and ready for another week. Look you probably multi task like I do and sometimes I am beat...I am a mom a wife, a person a daughter....we wear lots of hats...so do me a favor and ease up on yourself and take a break......do it for me...because once you start doing that, you won't feel guilty for taking a break...you will feel guilty for letting your emotions and anger build up and taking it out on everyone else when you know you could have avoided it by just taking some time!!!!

Be well, and always write when you are lead to. Love ya! Visit us on myspace.com/brokenmoms or brokenmoms.com

Currently reading :
Broken Moms
By Liana Preble
Release date: 06 April, 2007

February 20, 2008, 4:22 pm CST

Working from Home

I have read many messages where people are wanting to know about working from home for an extra income.  I too have researched until I was blue in the face when I came upon an article with some very good information.  Guess what.. most of the jobs that are legit work from home jobs do NOT pay you $1,000 a week.  You can go ahead and cut that out of the picture.  I have recently applied for LiveOps.. a phone service.  You do not call people, people call you when they see an infomercial or ad in the paper.. and so on.  Good thing is they are already interested in the product.  You will have to read from a script, but honestly.. could it be that hard?  I really dont know yet.. but I hope to find out soon.  The only fee you have to pay is $30 for a backgroud check since you will be getting peoples credit card information.  You do have to have a phone line for the business only.. basic ( no caller ID, call waiting, or voice mail) and the phone line has to be a land line, it's more secure.  You make your own schedual anywhere from 30 mins to 10 hours a day.. you pick it.  I think they say the starting pay is about $0.25 a min.. so it's not great, but if you are in my shoes.. you'll do anything to stay home.  I have sent my $30 in and I am not waiting for an e-mail telling me what to do next.  I have done A LOT of research on this company and they are real.  Feel free to check them out yourself.. Once again they are called LiveOps.  If this is not for you.. try this article that I ran across.  This was a blessing to me and I was SOOO happy I found it.  You can search it on goodle.  Type in ABC News Help how do I work from home?  The womans name is Tory Johnson and it's her tips.  Im all about helping moms stay home because Im at wits ends trying to do so myself.  Seems my husband doesn't think I do enough.. so I need to bring in a little extra money.  I wish you all luck in finding what best fits you.

February 20, 2008, 4:26 pm CST

remember

Quote From: laura10583

I have read many messages where people are wanting to know about working from home for an extra income.  I too have researched until I was blue in the face when I came upon an article with some very good information.  Guess what.. most of the jobs that are legit work from home jobs do NOT pay you $1,000 a week.  You can go ahead and cut that out of the picture.  I have recently applied for LiveOps.. a phone service.  You do not call people, people call you when they see an infomercial or ad in the paper.. and so on.  Good thing is they are already interested in the product.  You will have to read from a script, but honestly.. could it be that hard?  I really dont know yet.. but I hope to find out soon.  The only fee you have to pay is $30 for a backgroud check since you will be getting peoples credit card information.  You do have to have a phone line for the business only.. basic ( no caller ID, call waiting, or voice mail) and the phone line has to be a land line, it's more secure.  You make your own schedual anywhere from 30 mins to 10 hours a day.. you pick it.  I think they say the starting pay is about $0.25 a min.. so it's not great, but if you are in my shoes.. you'll do anything to stay home.  I have sent my $30 in and I am not waiting for an e-mail telling me what to do next.  I have done A LOT of research on this company and they are real.  Feel free to check them out yourself.. Once again they are called LiveOps.  If this is not for you.. try this article that I ran across.  This was a blessing to me and I was SOOO happy I found it.  You can search it on goodle.  Type in ABC News Help how do I work from home?  The womans name is Tory Johnson and it's her tips.  Im all about helping moms stay home because Im at wits ends trying to do so myself.  Seems my husband doesn't think I do enough.. so I need to bring in a little extra money.  I wish you all luck in finding what best fits you.
Also, your phone line will be tax deductable because it is being used for business only.  That's a great thing.. and LiveOps does NOT take taxes out of your pay, which means you will need to keep at least 30% of your pay so come tax season you will have the money. All in all.. it's not for everyone.. but I think it's great for me.  I have worked retail and I loved it.. so why wouldn't I be able to do retail over the phone?  Im sure many of you would be able to do this... as long as you are up for it.  Good luck everyone... and take care.

February 22, 2008, 9:18 pm CST

new to the board

I'm new to the board, and I just wanted to say I hope I can learn a lot from other SAHMs here on this board.

March 26, 2008, 1:54 pm CDT

looking for mommy friends??!

Im a 30 yr old sahm from upstate ny to three daughters

Im looking for moms to become friends with? please email me at nella772@yahoo.com, if u want to become freinds..

thanks, hope to hear from u soon!

May 24, 2008, 2:01 pm CDT

NUTS!!

Quote From: miekje

i might be able to give you some advice, if you can tell me what exactly it is that's driving you nuts, and it would be usefull to know her age,

annemiek

My SAHM journey has been great.  I have learned so much from my boys (2 & 5).  I also went nuts at first, but we all got used to it and it all worke out.  Find a hobby.  I started to weave, I know it sounds crazy;  I bought a floor loom learned how to warp it and now make rugs and placemats.  I am trying to buy more looms so I can turn it into a business.  People really seem to love my work.  My dream is to have it for a business, weave from home and greet my kids as they get off from the school bus. Maybe???

June 3, 2008, 12:54 pm CDT

MY tidbits

Quote From: txs_wis

OMG!  I really feel for you.  No, you are not a bad house wife.  Kids, even if it is only one, can really take a lot out of you and even at 3 months after the birth, you are still recovering.  Harmones are still changing, you body is still changing and baby demands a lot of your time. Baby care does take a huge chunk of time.   If hubby wants a cleaner home, he can lay out his own clothes and get some of the shopping on his way home from work. 

Some hubby's have their 'clean' area focus.  For my hubby, its the table.  As long as the table is cleared of clutter and after meal dishes, he is ok with it.  I know I am not the worlds best house keeper and I definitely know I am not superMOM but I keep up with the laundry and I always make sure my family has a home cooked meal 6 days out of the week, the one day I don't cook it is take out or we eat out. 

We have 4 kids and they're just now getting to where I am not taxed to my limits.  I need my 'down' time and most often a nap still but as my kids have grown a bit more independent, I am getting more done in the house again. 

gdh, Wisconsin 

You are doing the best you can and is what being a housewife is all about.  We as housewives deal with so much.  We tend to ask ourselves are we doing enough or contributing enough? Our days start early and end later then the spouse's sometimes.  That is something to be proud about.  It took me a couple of years to stop feeling guilty that I wasn't working. 

I do all that for my husband too but, even he understands not everything can get done.  I cook almost everything from (scratch saves money) and it does take a lot of time.  The dishes never seem to end.  It is kinda hard when you have your daily routines prevent you from getting into those projects you been meaning to do.  Like cleaning that closet out, gardening or the one thing that I have been meaning to do forever, going through my kids dressers and closets for clothes that are to small. 

My hubby's clean area focus is the garage.  He hates when I clutter the top of the washer or whatever.  This is his sanctuary to have a beer on Fridays after work.  LOL 

Like  the message from gdh, Wisconsin (my husbands from there too!) I am not the worlds greatest housekeeper either but the house is constantly being picked up and kept decent.  When My kids are grown up that will be my time to have the clean neat abode I have dreamed about. 

I feel as long as you keep up with your routine, and the house is decent, laundry is taken care of and of course your kids/hubby are feed and happy then everything is alright and there will be a time and place for those extra projects or just time to yourself to actually have a hobby.  It is true my kids as they get older I am able to get a little more and more done as they tend to occupy them selves more and more.

I have to say god bless you with more than 2 kids.  I have a 3 and 4 year old and its hard, I can't imagine 4.  It is a wonderful blessing to be parents.

Liz,

Las Vegas

First | Prev | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | Next | Last