Message Boards

Topic : Stay At Home Moms

Number of Replies: 913
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:39:02 pm
Author : dataimport
Being able to stay home with your child can be very rewarding, but do you sometimes crave adult interaction? Chat with other SAHMs, share advice, support, tips, ideas, and enjoy a little break from the kids.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 9, 2008, 3:34 pm CDT

These three things saved my sanity as a SAHM

1. Get into classes with your child, you will meet other SAH parents with kids your children's ages, I have greta friends i met this way.

2. Find a support group- for me mine is online, there are great mommy sites but my favorites are ivillage.com and Babytalkbio.com

3. Do fun stuff with your kids  a wonderful site for easy fun things for toddlers and preschoolers is notimeforflashcards.com  .

June 12, 2008, 3:24 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: lonelymom2

I am a stay at home mom of 2 a girl that is 2 and a boy that is 11 months.  I love being with them all the time but feel really alone and depressed.  I have no friends and get really stressed out taking care of the kids alone.  My husband and I have a painting business and he sells all the work and applicates all the work himself.  He is a great provider.  But sometimes a mom needs a brake.  I don't get to have very many brakes and take my kids everywhere with me.  He works, plays golf and is hardly ever home.  Am I asking too much to have him watch the kids and give me a brake every once in a while.  Am I a bad mom because I want to have a little bit of time too myself.  I mean I don't even get to shower alone.  I just need someone to talk to and express my feelings.  I hope someone will talk to me and let me know how I can stay calm and just enjoy being a mom to the fullest extent.  I am just looking for some adult interaction.    

Thank you for listening if anyone is.    

Hi Dawn,

Surprised to hear from me? Just got off classmates.com after a nostalgic episode and saw that you had posted me back in 2006. Being a cheap bastard I goggled your name instead of paying their hefty subscription price and ended up here. I was about to leave until I read your distress call (also posted in 2006). Thought I would say hello and let you know that you are not forgotten and after knowing you for that short time, I know that there are many other people who still hold you in their heart.

Just a note: I heard that you married Damian, Really? I thought for sure he was the Devils son. Boy he must have changed because he never deserved you.

saltydoc@hotmail.com

June 12, 2008, 3:26 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: saltydoc

Hi Dawn,

Surprised to hear from me? Just got off classmates.com after a nostalgic episode and saw that you had posted me back in 2006. Being a cheap bastard I goggled your name instead of paying their hefty subscription price and ended up here. I was about to leave until I read your distress call (also posted in 2006). Thought I would say hello and let you know that you are not forgotten and after knowing you for that short time, I know that there are many other people who still hold you in their heart.

Just a note: I heard that you married Damian, Really? I thought for sure he was the Devils son. Boy he must have changed because he never deserved you.

saltydoc@hotmail.com

WHO AM I? Jeremy Johnston

June 15, 2008, 7:26 pm CDT

Dilemma

Well I'm 22 years old, happily married and got two beautiful children. My daughter Isabelle is going be 2 in July and my son Nicholas is going be 5mths very soon. Both me and my husband work, he works during the day, and I work nights and weekends. Well I work in retail, The Deli Department at coles as a casual, and lately I have had strangers saying to me, oh you should be at home with the kids. I just wanted to get some other opinions on what I should, I would love to be able to be a full time stay at home mum, I love spending time with my kids, one day I want to work in a daycare centre, but I work because the extra money helps pay for food, pay bills, nappies etc, should I ignore the comments from strangers?

June 20, 2008, 11:18 am CDT

WEAVING!!

Quote From: shellimomma

My SAHM journey has been great.  I have learned so much from my boys (2 & 5).  I also went nuts at first, but we all got used to it and it all worke out.  Find a hobby.  I started to weave, I know it sounds crazy;  I bought a floor loom learned how to warp it and now make rugs and placemats.  I am trying to buy more looms so I can turn it into a business.  People really seem to love my work.  My dream is to have it for a business, weave from home and greet my kids as they get off from the school bus. Maybe???

I don't check this section much because it isn't too busy...so sorry this is a late response! 

But I had to comment on weaving!!!   I weaved a little in a college course (17 yrs ago?), and LOVED it!  I have on/off thought about weaving, but it's not easy to take up again if you don't have access to a floor loom!  LOL!  

We have 4 kids, right now ages 5, , 3, 3,  2 (but birthdays coming up soon).   We're just now coming out of "requires every second of my attention & ounce of my energy"; as we're now down to 1 kid in diapers & oldest will be in all-day 1st grade next year.  Twins coming out of tantrum stage. 

Anyways, your post made me pine for weaving on a floor loom!  That would be great to turn that into a craft business; or great even if you just keep it as a hobby! 

June 27, 2008, 3:03 pm CDT

Worried for children to gain socially

Quote From: my2bellas2

I love staying at home with my 2 girls! We also Homeschool. My husband and I would have it NO other way. I enjoy being around my girls and teaching them daily. Sure we have those days that nothing seems to be working right but we manage. We belong to a Homeschool group but most activities are on the other side of town so we go to the park, library for story time and museums for fun. I do miss adult interaction sometimes but I am content the majority of the time. When we tell others we Homeschool they give us a funny look and go about their business trying to keep their distance. Sometimes it seems hard to make friends and connect with other people when they find out we Homeschool. We enjoy it. It gives us a lot of freedom to learn, experiment and do whatever interests us on a daily basis. After all we learn when we're interested, right?! So we keep it fun so it doesn't 'feel' like school. The best part of all is we're together as a family and have a strong bond. My girls feel safe, secure, loved and get that one on one attention when needed. Any other moms out there that are Homeschooling too?
Do you think that the children benefit socially better in this home enviornment? My son has special needs and is in school, thought about home school, but wanted him to meet friends and grow social relationships, it helps. My question for you though is what are the benefits to the children , not freedom, being with mom all day, or those examples. Also, they need independence as well, and being home with parent 24/7 cannot help. You have to get your children ready for the world....not the world ready for them.  Thanks

June 27, 2008, 3:11 pm CDT

Same situation

Quote From: lonelymom2

I am a stay at home mom of 2 a girl that is 2 and a boy that is 11 months.  I love being with them all the time but feel really alone and depressed.  I have no friends and get really stressed out taking care of the kids alone.  My husband and I have a painting business and he sells all the work and applicates all the work himself.  He is a great provider.  But sometimes a mom needs a brake.  I don't get to have very many brakes and take my kids everywhere with me.  He works, plays golf and is hardly ever home.  Am I asking too much to have him watch the kids and give me a brake every once in a while.  Am I a bad mom because I want to have a little bit of time too myself.  I mean I don't even get to shower alone.  I just need someone to talk to and express my feelings.  I hope someone will talk to me and let me know how I can stay calm and just enjoy being a mom to the fullest extent.  I am just looking for some adult interaction.    

Thank you for listening if anyone is.    

Yeah I totally understand. I am 33 stay home mom, hubby of 4 years works union work, so he works most of the time 6 to 7 10 hour days a week!  Good money, but it all goes fast ya know. I feel the same as you, I may only have one son age 7, but he has special needs, and its a chore! We are still lookin for our first home, and live next to my parents in there old home, it was okay for a couple years but I feel like a child here, and cannot mother my son, or do what I want here because its not my home or property!  They continue to parent me, AND my child, and he doesnt even know who to listen to anymore here, its sooo awful. I wish I had someone around here as well to go out with, but good people are hard to find. Thought I would feel you in on my troubles also, every situation is different, but I do know exactly how you feel. Bye for now....:)

Sammy12 ( username for this message board)

June 30, 2008, 3:28 pm CDT

SAHM in North Pole Ak!

I am  29 year old mom of 3. 2 living and one passed on.  I became a Sahm after I was put on bed rest due to my last pregnancy. I  omeschooled my husbands younges son who is now 13 and I will homeschool my daughter this year.

July 14, 2008, 10:03 am CDT

No Regrets

There was a time last year that I was waiting 2 weeks for the results of breast cancer, and my mind couldn't help but make me evaluate my life during that time since I was fearful of losing it.  What surprised me was what surfaced in my mind as VALUABLE.  I had been an obedient daughter, a faithful wife and a mother WHO WAS ALWAYS THERE FOR MY KIDS.  Suddenly, that was important. That was what had eternal value... and I felt if I was going to leave this earth, then at least I spent almost every moment with my kids and didn't miss a thing.  I have never second guessed myself since when it comes to staying home with my boys. Never.

August 18, 2008, 12:39 pm CDT

Start your own home business today for just $5(5897)

Start your own home business today for just $5(5897)

Earn 100% of the profits
Get paid directly to your account
Easy Home Business for great automatic pay
http://www.typeinternational.com/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?
id=5897_42_3_298

First | Prev | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | Next | Last