Message Boards

Topic : Stay At Home Moms

Number of Replies: 913
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:39:02 pm
Author : dataimport
Being able to stay home with your child can be very rewarding, but do you sometimes crave adult interaction? Chat with other SAHMs, share advice, support, tips, ideas, and enjoy a little break from the kids.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 23, 2005, 11:57 am CDT

Stay At Home Moms

I am proud to be a stay at home mom and I have absolutely no regrets. I'm happy, my children are happy and my hubby is happy. Always easy? Is anything always easy? no. But hubby and I have a system in place and it works, we love and respect each other and we know when one another needs a time out and some down time. My girls are socially active, happy and independent little girls and certainly loves life. My oldest will be attending 7 1/2 hours a week of preschool this fall because she wants to be with her friends as she loves to play and be with others. She is smart and ready for any challenge that you put in front of her. Of course my youngest will be staying home with mommy and will love the special attention. LOL. I will admit that I already feel a little empty just knowing my little girl will not be home during these few hours but I am content and happy with the way things are in my home. I certainly am blessed.

July 23, 2005, 8:24 pm CDT

Jettav

I am proud to be a stay at home mom and I have absolutely no regrets. I'm happy, my children are happy and my hubby is happy. Always easy? Is anything always easy? no. But hubby and I have a system in place and it works, we love and respect each other and we know when one another needs a time out and some down time. My girls are socially active, happy and independent little girls and certainly loves life. My oldest will be attending 7 1/2 hours a week of preschool this fall because she wants to be with her friends as she loves to play and be with others. She is smart and ready for any challenge that you put in front of her. Of course my youngest will be staying home with mommy and will love the special attention. LOL. I will admit that I already feel a little empty just knowing my little girl will not be home during these few hours but I am content and happy with the way things are in my home. I certainly am blessed.
 I too am a stay at home mom and love every second of it!  I have 3 boys ages 5yrs, 4yrs, and 18mos.  I must admit it is very challenging at times but very rewarding and through all the tough times (and their are plenty of those) as well as the sharing, learning, teaching, and bonding times, I would not work outside of the home for $1million!  I have been there through all the firsts with all of them and I enjoy taking them to the park, miniature golf, arcade, library, museums and all sorts of funfilled places.  My two older boys played t-ball this year and soccer and they just loved it.  They went to the same preschool last school year but this year my 5 year old will be headed to the big "K".  He's so excited and my 4 year old will be in his second year at preschool but in an advanced pre-k class, so he's also looking forward to school starting in August.  And last but certainly not least my little love bug is still at home with mommy and he is our last addition so we are definately cherishing these baby times!  I am very thankful to the good lord that my husband has such an awesome job that allows me to stay home (but there was a time when he used to work more than 1 job so I could be with the first born) he doesn't have any regrets as we discussed this in length before we had children.  He can do his job knowing his children are being cared for and loved and he never has to wonder if they are being abused or neglected.  Yes sometimes I want to have adult conversations without the children always interrupting but you know, they are only going to need me this much for a short while and when they stop wanting me to play with them and when they stop asking me questions and start asking their friends, I won't have any regrets because I was there to give them a solid foundation in life...but I will always be there to guide them and love them unconditionally (no matter how rotten they can be sometimes! LOL)

July 24, 2005, 6:28 pm CDT

adult interaction

I can see where this can be a problem with sahm's but I have found ways to do this. There are mom's groups (MOPS) in some areas where you can meet as mothers and the children can go to their classrooms and play and learn. ( as far as I know they are all christian based). I attend a mom's bible study and the children have each other to play with, depending on the situation, some times the kids are in the same room with us while other times, there is some one available to entertain them, but we as mothers have each other to talk to and we can also pitch in to help one another if needed. Of course I have no problem getting a sitter and then going out with hubby or a friend for a bit, my children loves going to sitters and playing with others, and though I enjoy my time out, I love coming back to my children and them running to greet me. :) I also take my children to the library story times and activities and even to the park, and I always find some one to chat with even while entertaining my kids. I think it is all in the attitude and what we are willing to do with our time. I don't have a problem with taking my kids places with me to be with other adults, I have found that these other adults will help and entertain your children, who doesn't like little ones!? I also do not hesitate to let hubby know that I am going out with a friend and he is staying home with the girlsd(of course I make sure there are no plans already.) which is not a problem with us but in some cases, those who do not have supportive husbands, get a sitter and go out or maybe find some one that you can take turns watching one anothers children while the other goes out.

August 4, 2005, 10:58 am CDT

SAHM who Homeschools2

I love staying at home with my 2 girls! We also Homeschool. My husband and I would have it NO other way. I enjoy being around my girls and teaching them daily. Sure we have those days that nothing seems to be working right but we manage. We belong to a Homeschool group but most activities are on the other side of town so we go to the park, library for story time and museums for fun. I do miss adult interaction sometimes but I am content the majority of the time. When we tell others we Homeschool they give us a funny look and go about their business trying to keep their distance. Sometimes it seems hard to make friends and connect with other people when they find out we Homeschool. We enjoy it. It gives us a lot of freedom to learn, experiment and do whatever interests us on a daily basis. After all we learn when we're interested, right?! So we keep it fun so it doesn't 'feel' like school. The best part of all is we're together as a family and have a strong bond. My girls feel safe, secure, loved and get that one on one attention when needed. Any other moms out there that are Homeschooling too?

August 4, 2005, 5:08 pm CDT

homeschooling

Quote From: my2bellas2

I love staying at home with my 2 girls! We also Homeschool. My husband and I would have it NO other way. I enjoy being around my girls and teaching them daily. Sure we have those days that nothing seems to be working right but we manage. We belong to a Homeschool group but most activities are on the other side of town so we go to the park, library for story time and museums for fun. I do miss adult interaction sometimes but I am content the majority of the time. When we tell others we Homeschool they give us a funny look and go about their business trying to keep their distance. Sometimes it seems hard to make friends and connect with other people when they find out we Homeschool. We enjoy it. It gives us a lot of freedom to learn, experiment and do whatever interests us on a daily basis. After all we learn when we're interested, right?! So we keep it fun so it doesn't 'feel' like school. The best part of all is we're together as a family and have a strong bond. My girls feel safe, secure, loved and get that one on one attention when needed. Any other moms out there that are Homeschooling too?
My girls are 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 and though my oldest will be attending a Christian Preschool this fall, we are considereing on home schooling, We are sending her to preschool becasue she wants to be like her friends and go to school. I think homeschooling is a wonderful thing and believe that some children would benefit more from it then the other options that we have to choose from. We all learn differently and at different paces and in different surroundings and with our children's interests and learning abilities in mind, then we as the parents can decide what is best for our own children. I do know what you mean about the reactions that you get from some people, the first thing I always hear is that "children need the social skills that they get from the public school settings", which is nothing but a bunch of malarky to me. we, as the parents are responsible and should count it as a privelege to provide the social skills that our children need. I have been a stay at home mom since the day my girls were born and they are the most socialable little ones that you would ever meet, they don't know a stranger and has absolutely no problem going to a sitters or even to a church that we are visiting, if there are kids, they are ready to play and the first thing out of their mouths, is "bye bye mommy", but then as soon as we walk in the door to pick them up, they come running to us with hugs and kisses and ready to go home. We also do the library story times, the parks, church outings, gonna get my oldest in dance as well as that is all she talks about. My oldest is also reading and sounding out three letter words and three word sentences. She works on a math website and already adding single digits, some one gave her a calculator just today and she is learning to use it as well. She loves going to the science museum and she wants to be a painter (artist) when she grows up and she might just well be as she adds details already to her drawings. My little one is not as far as advance but she is catching on now that she is 2 in a half. I love the idea of homeschooling as I believe children can get more on hands experience and can get more "people involved" then they can get in the school system. My children are also involved in community service which involves meeting and helping people of all ages, cultures and backgrounds. Don't have to worry about my kids when it comes to social and learning skills. They are developing it just fine. And every one has days that don't always work out the way they plan, we all have our off days but in all honesty, I have more good days then off days and as my dad always says," I don't have bad days, just some days are better then others". I have also found that taking time for myself is an ok thing to do and we all need that "me" time, EVEN our husbands who work a full time job as I am aware of my hubbys needs and try my best to help meet his as well as mine. One of the most imporant things we can do for our children, is to give them the best education that we can offer them so we as parents need to figure what that is for our own children and at the same time we should respect and support others in their choices as we each know our own kids better then any one else. What is best for one child may not be the best for another,it is a great thing to be able to choose the "best" route for our own children.

August 10, 2005, 9:06 pm CDT

WHAT A WONDERFUL GIFT

I have been at home for 2 years now and although everyone has their moments-I love it! As much as I have enjoyed the years as a teacher being entrusted with others precious children. I feel blessed to be home with my own.  Our oldest is only 3, but I have started looking into homeschooling for many reasons.  I'm not sure where to start.  I don't doubt my ability to teach them since I'm quite comfortable educating preschoolers.  My daughter is well mannered & not shy when it comes to social skills.  I am a little concerned about what the monetary cost of homeschooling will be. 

Any ideas or suggestions? 

August 10, 2005, 9:34 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: mom2raenem

I have been at home for 2 years now and although everyone has their moments-I love it! As much as I have enjoyed the years as a teacher being entrusted with others precious children. I feel blessed to be home with my own.  Our oldest is only 3, but I have started looking into homeschooling for many reasons.  I'm not sure where to start.  I don't doubt my ability to teach them since I'm quite comfortable educating preschoolers.  My daughter is well mannered & not shy when it comes to social skills.  I am a little concerned about what the monetary cost of homeschooling will be. 

Any ideas or suggestions? 

Check out www.homeschool.com, it might provide some info for you. I think if you do a google search on homeschooling, you should be able to find what you are looking for. I honestly don't think it would cost any more then private school, I would think it would be cheaper. I know what you mean aboout loving to be home with your children, I wouldn't have it any other way personally. And though my oldest is starting a Christian Preschool this Fall, I am still considering homesschooling, I think there are so many advantages of it. Follow your heart and God bless as you enjoy your little ones.

August 11, 2005, 7:27 pm CDT

love it

I have been a SAHM for 2 years and I love it.  I have a 2 year old girl and an 8 month old boy.  I couldn't imagine leaving them with other people all the time! 

August 13, 2005, 5:20 am CDT

stay at home mom's rock!!!!

HELLO TO ALL THE MOMS OUT THERE.STAY AT HOME MOMS HAS TO BE ONE OF THE HARDEST JOBS NEXT TO A TEACHER.WE ARE CONSTANTLY CHASING OUR KIDS ONE NEEDS A BOTTLE ,ONE NEEDS CHANGING ,ONE NEEDS A NAP.YOU ARE THEN JUGGLING PREPARING DINNER OR TRYING TO CLEAN THE HOUSE AND CHASE OUR LITTLE CRITTERS WITH SOMETHING IN THEIR MOUTHS THEY SHOULDN'T.LOL BOY MOMS DO IT ALL JACK OF ALL TRADES.MY TWO GIRLS ARE GROWN NOW 23&15 AND WHEN I WAS A STAY AT HOME MOM I LOVED IT.NOW ALL I HAVE IS TO LOOK FORWARD TO GRANDKIDS ONE DAY .MOMS EVERYWHERE GIVE YOURSELVES A PAT ON THE BACK AND KOUDOS TO YOU ALL .TAKE CARE AND MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU ALL.CATHY

August 13, 2005, 9:35 am CDT

I enjoy it!

I, too, am a stay at home mom. 2 of my children are in school and one stays at home with me, until next year. I have one room in my home set up like a preschool room. I teach my 4 y/o at home for now and I help my 5 y/o with his writing and such in our "special preschool room".  We just made this room for our toddlers and I love it!  Being a stay at home mom has many challenges and rewards. When my 4 y/o goes to school next year, I am still going to stay at home. Who else is going to do all that I do around here if I went to work? My work is here. I am a mother, a wife, a laundress, a house cleaner, a cook, a waitress, a dish washer, a doctor/nurse, , a yard keeper, a babysitter and a bus driver (own car) sometimes, a gardener, a shopper, a book keeper, and an organizer. My husband thinks I have it made by staying at home, but if he had to pay someone to come in here and do all that I do here, he would not be able to afford them. If I got paid for everything I do, my salary would be "greater" than his. LOL! Actually, I think he knows that he has it made. I enjoy doing all these things and I wouldnt want no one else to do it for me because I feel no one else can do it the way I do. I am OCD. Everything has to be done just so. I work 7 days/nights each week. The only time I get a vacation is when I am sick, or on Mothers Day, or my B-day. Above all, I get to be here for my kids and they can count on me. Other than all of this, I am glad I get to be a stay at home mom. I enjoy it!!!!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last