Message Boards

Topic : Stay At Home Moms

Number of Replies: 913
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:39:02 pm
Author : dataimport
Being able to stay home with your child can be very rewarding, but do you sometimes crave adult interaction? Chat with other SAHMs, share advice, support, tips, ideas, and enjoy a little break from the kids.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 26, 2005, 1:13 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: gardenbug2

Hi, I'm new the SHM board.  I'm married and have a 10 yr old son.  I've been reading your discussion on home schooling.  Wow, I don't think I have the patience for that.  It's hard enough dealing with the frustrations of homework which typically falls on me.  I thought that last year was tough when my son entered fourth grade.  I can't imagine what this year will be like. 

I enjoy being a SHM and consider myself very lucky to have the opportunity to do so, especially with only one child.  Every moment is special.  My son said to me just yesterday that he wouldn't like it if I had to work (like dad) and wasn't home when he got out of school. 

I do find myself desperately seeking "ADULT" conversations though.  Thanks for listening.  Have a great day.  Oh...is there anyone here who despises the term "housewife" and "homemaker"??? 

gardenbug2 

Hi gardenbug2, welcome aboard. I love being home wityh my children. As far as the home schooling, I think it could be a wonderful way to get closer to our children and letting them help take charge of their education, I believe if a child enjoys his education they will get a whole lot more from it and I also think it could offer more opportunities for the child to learnso much more then sitting behind a desk because it would be more hands on involving both the parents and the kids. Of course it isn't for for every one as we are all of different personalities and all, I am sure you are a great mom to your son and him liking you home when you get there is a good sign of that. what are your hobbies? Do you do scrap booking or anything like that, that would be a great way to get involved with some adult interactions, what about school organizations such as the PTA or something, also maybe you can have a ladies night out and have your hubby stay home with your son or get a sitter and then go out for a couple of hours with friends. Do you and hubby have date nights? That would be a great thing for the two of you and maybe even goout with another couple. I certainly miss my date nights with my hubby but we are going to start those back up, they have been a high light to our marriage. Those are just some suggestions in getting involved with other adults. As far as the terms,"housewife" and "homemaker" I don't mind so much, never really gave them much thought, I do consider myself a home maker though but usually when some one asks me what I do, I say I am a mommy and wife. I honestly don't care what others think of me, I love my job and I have a supportive husband and my children are taken care of and that is what is imporant and we mothers and wives are a great asset to this society, so just be who you are and be proud of the fact that you are a wife and mother and that you have the greatest job on earth. :)

August 26, 2005, 2:56 pm CDT

Welcome to the board...

Quote From: gardenbug2

Hi, I'm new the SHM board.  I'm married and have a 10 yr old son.  I've been reading your discussion on home schooling.  Wow, I don't think I have the patience for that.  It's hard enough dealing with the frustrations of homework which typically falls on me.  I thought that last year was tough when my son entered fourth grade.  I can't imagine what this year will be like. 

I enjoy being a SHM and consider myself very lucky to have the opportunity to do so, especially with only one child.  Every moment is special.  My son said to me just yesterday that he wouldn't like it if I had to work (like dad) and wasn't home when he got out of school. 

I do find myself desperately seeking "ADULT" conversations though.  Thanks for listening.  Have a great day.  Oh...is there anyone here who despises the term "housewife" and "homemaker"??? 

gardenbug2 

Welcome gardenbug2, 

As for the homeschooling and patience,you would be surprised at what you could do if homeschooling is right for you. 

One reason we homeschool is the amount of homework my youngest was bringing home last year and I ended up teaching her anyhow,cause the teacher was to busy dealing with problems. 

Anyhow I have plenty of "Adult" converstations with my teen daughter and my adult daughter and then I have lots of friends who I socialize with.  

I don't mind the terms "housewife or homemaker" cause this is what I am, yet I am also a "college student" and a "homeschool mom". 

Shari 

August 31, 2005, 12:42 pm CDT

Thanks for the Welcome...

Quote From: missshari

Welcome gardenbug2, 

As for the homeschooling and patience,you would be surprised at what you could do if homeschooling is right for you. 

One reason we homeschool is the amount of homework my youngest was bringing home last year and I ended up teaching her anyhow,cause the teacher was to busy dealing with problems. 

Anyhow I have plenty of "Adult" converstations with my teen daughter and my adult daughter and then I have lots of friends who I socialize with.  

I don't mind the terms "housewife or homemaker" cause this is what I am, yet I am also a "college student" and a "homeschool mom". 

Shari 

Hi Shari, 

I can relate to homework coming home from school...it's rediculous.  However, it does keep me in tune with what my son is doing in school.  I didn't have homework in elementary school like my son does.  Given that, I don't think homeschooling would work for my son and me.  First, I enjoy that freedom I have while my son is at school.  My son is quite social and he would really miss his friends during the day.  That's his favorite part about school.   

I know that some parents have great success with homeschooling so it's great that it does exist as an option.  From what you've said, it sounds like it works well for you. 

My husband's work hours are quite unpredictable.  So the hours my son is in school, that's when I have the oppportunity to do errands, catch up w/friends I don't see on a regular basis, and schedule appts.  I also do a lot of volunteer work during school hours. 

The reason I don't care for "homemaker" is because there are some people who look down on that as if I sit around and watch soaps all day...which is so far from the truth.  Those people are not my friends but usually people I need to associate whether it be at a party, my husband's work, etc...  My closest friends, I don't get to see on a regular basis.  My neighbors are great but they all have families that they are busy with as well. 

Sounds like you have your plate full too.  Must be difficult to find study time although your kids are older than my 10 year old.  I can't leave him alone at home.  I applaud you for going back to college.  I know many people who have either post-poned college or quit saying they would return later, and they never do. 

Have a great day, Shari! 

gardenbug2 

September 10, 2005, 8:01 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Just thought I would pop in and say hi. My daughter will start preschool Monday. She was suppose to start this past week but we went on vacation and got stranded in Pennslvania (9 hours from home) cause our van decided it didn't want to come home so we had to put it in the shop. So the family had an extra 3 days together so no big deal. Amy is really excited about preschool and really I am excited for her but a part of me just doesn't want to let her go. She is only 4 years old! :). I know she will do well as she is a smart and out going little girl, a little shy at first but definetly likes to be around others. While on vacation, she would go up to kids on the playground and introduce her self and tell them she wanted to be their friend and she made several friends along the way. Who says stay at home mom's don't have socialable kids!!! My little ones has certainly proved that one wrong. hehehehe :). Any way, glad to be back home, just gotta get back into the swing of things around here. Have a great weekend every one and always remember, us stay at home mommies have the greatest job on earth, I know I certainly am blessed and happy that I chose to stay home with my little ones. :)

September 17, 2005, 10:16 pm CDT

New to the Board

Hi......I'm a SAHM to 3 beautiful children.  My DD is 8 years old and my DS's are 4yrs and 20 months.  As of this year I am also a homeschooling mom.  My daughter has severe eczema and severe allergies and her allergist suggested that at least for this year that we homeschool if we were willing and able, so that is what we are doing.  It has been a huge change to our lives finding out all about her allergies.  She is literally allergic to everything or at least everything they tested her for.  I would love to get to know all of you especially any moms that are going through a similar change in their life.  The stress of having to change our entire lives has been horrible.  My daughter takes it all in stride for the most part.  When she had to stop eating chocolate she was okay with it but with her latest results I also had to take away the only sweets that I could find for her to eat, marshmallows.  She said she was totally fine with it all until they took away her marshmallows too.  She is one of the strongest and bravest little girls I have ever met.  She has a big heart and doesn't let all the looks and sneers she gets to effect her.  At least not on the outside.  I know that there are times when she suffers when someone won't play with her or looks at her weird but she doesn't show it.  She doesn't share her feelings very often but I sure wish she would do it more often.  She holds it all in and doesn't talk about it.  Any advice on getting her to talk would be very helpful. 

Sorry, I mainly just wanted to introduce myself.  Can't wait to meet some new moms. 

Scrappy 

September 18, 2005, 10:56 pm CDT

ALLERGIC TO EVERYTHING

I know how she feels after having my son my allergies became worse and I can not have nuts chicken saflower oats corn barley most flowers all perfumes lotions scented products it has gotten so bad brown bottle lysol vinigar and baking soda are my cleaning supplies.  some health care companies will pay for an air purifier and specialtiy vaccume if it is precribed by an allergist.  they put fragrance in everything now. I have a great difficlting going shopping because of peoples purfumes. cheese crakers almost killed me last year sour crean and chive crackers made on the same equipment as nuts. I did not thing and ate one. they are begining to put possible allergy content on some packages but not all of the items that can cause allergies are considered because of rarity of the allergy.  check all product labels some are adding nuts and chicken fat to their products. They change the recipe and choose not to tell us we have to read the label every time and ingredients vary between companies. I wrote to a well known company and asked them for a list of items that have chicken or to eliminate chicken fat from their beef  products. They told me that to stay competive they change recipes often and they would not know what will or will not contain chicken at a later date so the list could not be made. They would not remove chicken fat from their beef product because other people like their product. If I was conserned about this life threatening problem I should take it upon my self to read every lable or just stop buying thier product.  I used to buy 100+ of  thier products a year. Now I do not.

October 7, 2005, 1:58 pm CDT

New to the Site

I've just joined the site alothough been a fan for a while. 

I'm 26 and a single SAHM to a two and a half YO son.  As I've read in a few other messages I'm just looking for some adult interaction and conversation. 

Hope to get to know some of you in the future. 

October 7, 2005, 5:35 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: velma9

I've just joined the site alothough been a fan for a while. 

I'm 26 and a single SAHM to a two and a half YO son.  As I've read in a few other messages I'm just looking for some adult interaction and conversation. 

Hope to get to know some of you in the future. 

I've just joined the site too. I recently decided to stay home with my daughter who is 3 months old. I wasn't going to but but I got laid off the day after I went back to work from maternity leave. Although I was very upset at first it was a blessing in disguise. I really did not want to leave my daughter just yet.   

It has been a huge financial adjustment for us to live on just one income, but so far we are making it just fine.  We buy store brand foods, clip coupons and stopped eating out.  

Have anyone else had to learn on one income? 

October 8, 2005, 12:06 am CDT

SAHM

Howdy, nice to find other stay at home moms.  I do admire those that homeschool but I am afraid I do not have that much patients.  I have 4 kids - 13, 8, 7 and 4.  I too wouldn't have it any other way.  To stay home with my children, both my husband and I think, has been the best decision we've made in regards to raising our children.  I do have a college degree and had been often told by a close friend that I was wasting it.  she on the other hand complained about her children's lack of motivation in school, short attention spands and so on.  she and her hubby both worked full time in Houston, TX.  Calling her after 9pm was trying as their kids were still up because they wanted to spend quality time with them.  Their days were long and nites short as they had to be up early enough to deliver their kids to before school day care and be to work on time in the Houston traffic.  With her last child though, she opted to stay home.  the first thing she told me was that she noticed how calm and attentive her children had become.  Boy, I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, 'I told you so!!!"   

I do work in direct sales for extra income these days but prefer to stay home with my kids and keep them busy with activities and enjoy their milestones in life. 

gdh, Wisconsin 

October 8, 2005, 12:33 am CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: txs_wis

Howdy, nice to find other stay at home moms.  I do admire those that homeschool but I am afraid I do not have that much patients.  I have 4 kids - 13, 8, 7 and 4.  I too wouldn't have it any other way.  To stay home with my children, both my husband and I think, has been the best decision we've made in regards to raising our children.  I do have a college degree and had been often told by a close friend that I was wasting it.  she on the other hand complained about her children's lack of motivation in school, short attention spands and so on.  she and her hubby both worked full time in Houston, TX.  Calling her after 9pm was trying as their kids were still up because they wanted to spend quality time with them.  Their days were long and nites short as they had to be up early enough to deliver their kids to before school day care and be to work on time in the Houston traffic.  With her last child though, she opted to stay home.  the first thing she told me was that she noticed how calm and attentive her children had become.  Boy, I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, 'I told you so!!!"   

I do work in direct sales for extra income these days but prefer to stay home with my kids and keep them busy with activities and enjoy their milestones in life. 

gdh, Wisconsin 

I also have a college degree and I do actually use my degree (in my church ministry) but staying home is the best choice I have ever made. I have two good natured girls and very easy to please (most of the time), I decided along time ago that I wanted to see my little ones grow and watch them mature into who they are to become and I wasn't about to miss all the firsts and the great opportunities that I would be led to, to spend with my children. I believe parents are the best teachers and role models for their children and it is a great privelege and blessing to be a stay at home mom. My oldest is in preschool now and she loves it, she is very well behaved and ahead of her class LOL. which is becasue of the qaulity time and effort that I was able to put into my children, my youngest isn't as far advanced as my oldest was at 2 but she isn't far behind. I believe children need to be raised in the home and that we as a society have a dependency on daycare, which I am not saying daycare is a bad thing but I do believe some children spend too much in them. I believe our children are worth us taking time out of our careers and concentrating on them is well worth everything. it may not always be easy but it certainly is a blessing to be home with them. As far as homeschooling, I believe it is a great idea as we are thinking about doing it. I believe it can be a great adventure for the kids as well as the parents, It certainly takes planning and committment on the parents part but I also believe it would be well worth it, I am sure you would be great at it, just gotta be creative and have the desire to do it. but I also understand that all of us are different with different personalities, and I think as long as we are prioritizing our time and investments then we will make the right choices, especially when it comes to our children.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last