Message Boards

Topic : Stay At Home Moms

Number of Replies: 913
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:39:02 pm
Author : dataimport
Being able to stay home with your child can be very rewarding, but do you sometimes crave adult interaction? Chat with other SAHMs, share advice, support, tips, ideas, and enjoy a little break from the kids.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 10, 2005, 2:01 pm CDT

homeschool

I was trying to see if there is anyone out there who is homeschooling there childern? This is my first year to do this my  son is 13, my daughters are 12 and 7. The problem is i am learning that my 12 year old should not of made it as far in school as she has. I would always help with homework and get very frustrated with her because she could not understand how to do something. Now with homeschooling i have had to start from scratch it seems, my husband tells me she is trying to fool us, by pretending not to know. Is there anyone out there who has any advice on this subject.

October 10, 2005, 9:43 pm CDT

A curious five year old!

My five year old son has begun to make a point of noticing that girls and boys are different. Especially noticing that "Mommy" is different. I have caught him trying to peek in my room when I am getting dressed. He also seems to like playing with his sisters Barbie dolls as long as dad doesn't notice. And he has taken a liking to a little girl that goes to his school and lives down the street from us. He has started asking question such as why do you need a mommy and a daddy to have babies? Why do boys have a penis and girls have a vagina? He came out of the bathroom the other day squeezing his testicles and asked why his stomach hurt when he pinched his balls. I told him I wasn't sure but if he wanted to pinch his balls to do it in his room. I don't want him to feel like touching his own body is bad. But at the same time I don't know how much information to give him about the whole sex issue. When he was three he asked where food went when you swallowed it. When I told him into his stomach he asked how it got there. So after we were done he knew how the whole digestive system worked and he could even say esophagus. So I am a bit worried on how to approach the whole his parts,her parts and why they are there issue. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I need all the help I can get on this one.

October 10, 2005, 10:04 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: melicole

My five year old son has begun to make a point of noticing that girls and boys are different. Especially noticing that "Mommy" is different. I have caught him trying to peek in my room when I am getting dressed. He also seems to like playing with his sisters Barbie dolls as long as dad doesn't notice. And he has taken a liking to a little girl that goes to his school and lives down the street from us. He has started asking question such as why do you need a mommy and a daddy to have babies? Why do boys have a penis and girls have a vagina? He came out of the bathroom the other day squeezing his testicles and asked why his stomach hurt when he pinched his balls. I told him I wasn't sure but if he wanted to pinch his balls to do it in his room. I don't want him to feel like touching his own body is bad. But at the same time I don't know how much information to give him about the whole sex issue. When he was three he asked where food went when you swallowed it. When I told him into his stomach he asked how it got there. So after we were done he knew how the whole digestive system worked and he could even say esophagus. So I am a bit worried on how to approach the whole his parts,her parts and why they are there issue. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I need all the help I can get on this one.

OMG!  You've got one smart little cookie there.  I can relate some although the pinching of the testicles are a new one on me.  LOL!  I think I'd be curious now,  HONEY!!!!!!!  Can you.........  Just kidding.  My oldest was around 5 when his sister was born ( I have 4 kids in all now ) and while changing her diaper, he looked and asked when does her penis grow in?  It was all I could do not to disolve into total laughter.  I also got a bit worried when he asked when his sister could start sleeping in his bed like mommy sleeps with daddy.  Oh My, I was really floored with that one and we had to discuss with him why he and his sister could not sleep in the same bed and why mommy and daddy could.  It cleared it up for him and he never asked again.  Since we live on a farm, how babies are born and conceived weren't to much a concern for him as he saw it from the time he was really little. 

Have you had a talk with your boy's pediatrician?  That is a good place to start as the doctor can explain lots of physical things to your boy and give it to him in a matter of fact way that may make it not so facinating anymore for your son.  I had a good pediatrician who could talk with the kids on their level of understanding.  Your pediatrician can also let you know what information is too much for him and even what is normal behavior for your son.  To me, he sounds really normal to me so far.   

Both my hubby and I come from really good stable homes with lots of family who have stable marriages.  In my daughter's school class, I think most of her classmates live in homes of divorce.  My daughter asked me, while she was in second grade, where would her daddy go when we got our divorce.  Would he live in Dubuque, IA like many of the other daddies of her classmates.  That was a fun one to explain. 

October 10, 2005, 10:12 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: jettav

LOL, I have two kids and my oldest was 23 months old when my youngest was born, Amy was actually potty trained during the day and not during the night. When my youngest was born, of course my oldest regressed (as I expected) and wanted to wear diapers so of course I let her, not worth stressing out about! Yes, it certainly had it's moments but I wouldn't change a thing. Even now, it can be interesting, my youngest refuses to potty (2 1/2) and of course my oldest (1/2) wears panties but I hate the times when she is fidgety in the car casue she has to potty then my youngest has the worst "blow out' on accasions of course, but why is it that it seems like tehy are pondering against me, they decide to do this together. LOL

Oh, thank you for making me feel so lucky with mine staying dry at nite early on.  LOL!  While potty training for some reason all of mine would decide to pee on me in my Sunday best!  Nothing like having an after service conversation and feel something very warm and wet go across your hip.  Gee, did I say I missed mine being babies?  I must be getting that selective memory that usually happens when you give birth.  You instantly forget the pain you just went thru to squeeze them and you want to have another baby right away.  LOL! 

When potty training, well, actually before while they were still in daipers, I was one of those odd balls that actually used clothe diapers.  I think that may have had something to do with it.  I went even as far as ironing the darn things!  No, I don't think I was that bored.  I hated the gerber cheese clothe types.  I did, however, love the ones my in laws sent me from Europe.  They were thicker and bigger and way more durable.  I don't think I have one single intact gerber one but have all of the European ones and that was thru 4 kids!  Pins and all.  No, I was not super mom.  We did it to save money. 

Did/does yours ever go hide in the closet to go potty?  my third one did and not in his training pants either.  I'd find neat little piles in the closet of the boy's room hidden under a shirt or something.  Drove me nuts.  some how I think it was his was of trying to say he wanted to potty his way; everyone else used the bathroom in the bathroom so he wanted to be different I guess.  

October 12, 2005, 2:07 pm CDT

re: homeschooling

Quote From: vhegar

I was trying to see if there is anyone out there who is homeschooling there childern? This is my first year to do this my  son is 13, my daughters are 12 and 7. The problem is i am learning that my 12 year old should not of made it as far in school as she has. I would always help with homework and get very frustrated with her because she could not understand how to do something. Now with homeschooling i have had to start from scratch it seems, my husband tells me she is trying to fool us, by pretending not to know. Is there anyone out there who has any advice on this subject.

I am not homeschooling my children this year, but I did try it when my children were younger.I don't know what state you are in, but this state has a charter video program. They also aid with getting a computer to use as an aid  in teaching your child.  Contact your local homeschooling group. Usually your school administration building will have a contact name.  Are you using the books from the school? Or are you usung your own materials.  Is it possible for your to speak to your child's last teacher to ask how she did in a particular subject? What was that teacher's particular teaching style? Some use the book, some use their own material.  It is possible that maybe the material you are trying to teach her was taught differently, which could mean you might have to teach her from scratch.  

Take care. 

October 12, 2005, 6:45 pm CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: txs_wis

Oh, thank you for making me feel so lucky with mine staying dry at nite early on.  LOL!  While potty training for some reason all of mine would decide to pee on me in my Sunday best!  Nothing like having an after service conversation and feel something very warm and wet go across your hip.  Gee, did I say I missed mine being babies?  I must be getting that selective memory that usually happens when you give birth.  You instantly forget the pain you just went thru to squeeze them and you want to have another baby right away.  LOL! 

When potty training, well, actually before while they were still in daipers, I was one of those odd balls that actually used clothe diapers.  I think that may have had something to do with it.  I went even as far as ironing the darn things!  No, I don't think I was that bored.  I hated the gerber cheese clothe types.  I did, however, love the ones my in laws sent me from Europe.  They were thicker and bigger and way more durable.  I don't think I have one single intact gerber one but have all of the European ones and that was thru 4 kids!  Pins and all.  No, I was not super mom.  We did it to save money. 

Did/does yours ever go hide in the closet to go potty?  my third one did and not in his training pants either.  I'd find neat little piles in the closet of the boy's room hidden under a shirt or something.  Drove me nuts.  some how I think it was his was of trying to say he wanted to potty his way; everyone else used the bathroom in the bathroom so he wanted to be different I guess.  

My now four year old used to hide in a corner when she was filling her diaper, The first time I saw her doing this, "I asked her, what are you doing, Amy?" her response, "making mommy sad!" LOL, my husband and I both laughed at that one for a very long time. The child was only two. But at least we knew she had to go and I started picking her up and taking her to the potty. With my now 2 1/2 year old, she just goes and doesn't think a thing of it, she just keeps playing then after she is done, sometimes she will tell us that she is ukky but other times, she just ignores it, she doesn't care. Oh well, we will get this sooner or later. :)

October 13, 2005, 8:36 am CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: roxsndluv2

I am not homeschooling my children this year, but I did try it when my children were younger.I don't know what state you are in, but this state has a charter video program. They also aid with getting a computer to use as an aid  in teaching your child.  Contact your local homeschooling group. Usually your school administration building will have a contact name.  Are you using the books from the school? Or are you usung your own materials.  Is it possible for your to speak to your child's last teacher to ask how she did in a particular subject? What was that teacher's particular teaching style? Some use the book, some use their own material.  It is possible that maybe the material you are trying to teach her was taught differently, which could mean you might have to teach her from scratch.  

Take care. 

vhegar 

I agree with the above.  most definitely go back to her teacher or teachers.  Your daughter's trouble may also have to do with a lack of confidence too.  My oldest had huge troubles in the 4th grade and a large part of it was just a lack of self confidence. 

good luck.  I really do admire those who choose to teach their kids at home.  I think mine would drive me insane if they were home all the time. 

October 13, 2005, 8:45 am CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: jettav

My now four year old used to hide in a corner when she was filling her diaper, The first time I saw her doing this, "I asked her, what are you doing, Amy?" her response, "making mommy sad!" LOL, my husband and I both laughed at that one for a very long time. The child was only two. But at least we knew she had to go and I started picking her up and taking her to the potty. With my now 2 1/2 year old, she just goes and doesn't think a thing of it, she just keeps playing then after she is done, sometimes she will tell us that she is ukky but other times, she just ignores it, she doesn't care. Oh well, we will get this sooner or later. :)

Well, Mom, she was just too busy to stop and potty.  It would have taken to much time out of her activity!  LOL!  My oldest was like that and the more tired he got, the fast he would play too.  My dad was in stitches one day while baby sitting my oldest as a toddler.  He said my son would pass gas and it would sound like he ripped a hole in the pants but he would just keep on playing thru it and afterwards like it never occurred. 

Yea, she'll get it sooner or later.  If its later, it'll be when she realizes that everyone else her age doesn't mess their drawers.  Peer pressure sure can help in that area.  It did with my 3rd one.  I told him he couldn't go to school if he could not use the restroom like everyone else; that was just the rules.  Boy, that day, he would announce everytime he went to the bathroom because he wanted everyone to know he could do it and he could go to school. 

October 14, 2005, 12:19 am CDT

not sure about homeschooling

Quote From: roxsndluv2

Take care. 

Hey i have some questions about homeschooling. I read your message that you have homeschooled in the past and i just have some concerns. Maybe you can give me some insight.  I'm just not sure about homeschooling. It seems so many people are turning to that these days. I'm a stay at home mom of 2 girls. They are 2 1/2 and 12months. I see the reasons that moms stay at home with their preschoolers but I'm just not seeing the advantages to home schooling.  I know all of the reasons that they get one on one attention and all of that.  But we send our teachers to college for a reason. To teach and I am not a teacher. I want my kids to have the best education. I just dont see how someone without a teaching degree  can provide that.  Also i want to provide my kids with life experience and i dont see how homeschooling is doing that.  I dont mean to sound critical, i'm just wondering why so many people are going to this.  please give some insight into your reasons. I have a new friend that chooses to homeschool their kids and they don't seem to be open to discussing this.   Thanks for your help

October 14, 2005, 10:40 am CDT

Stay At Home Moms

Quote From: momnchrist

Hey i have some questions about homeschooling. I read your message that you have homeschooled in the past and i just have some concerns. Maybe you can give me some insight.  I'm just not sure about homeschooling. It seems so many people are turning to that these days. I'm a stay at home mom of 2 girls. They are 2 1/2 and 12months. I see the reasons that moms stay at home with their preschoolers but I'm just not seeing the advantages to home schooling.  I know all of the reasons that they get one on one attention and all of that.  But we send our teachers to college for a reason. To teach and I am not a teacher. I want my kids to have the best education. I just dont see how someone without a teaching degree  can provide that.  Also i want to provide my kids with life experience and i dont see how homeschooling is doing that.  I dont mean to sound critical, i'm just wondering why so many people are going to this.  please give some insight into your reasons. I have a new friend that chooses to homeschool their kids and they don't seem to be open to discussing this.   Thanks for your help
Homeschooling is a great option for various reasons and of course not all parents are going to choos this route for various reasons as well. Many people think that the only way their children can learn and be socialized is through the school system and that is not always the case, Not all kids participate in the sports programs that are offered in the schools, some kids are slower learners then others and need more time to catch on while others are more advanced then others, Kids deserve to learn at their own paces and to rush a child and go on to the next kevel is not fair as well as keeping those who may be more advanced from excelling, Also there are so many issues concerning kids today and there is absolutely no way a teacher can deal with every issue that comes her way, you have kids who are disruptove, you have those with disorders of some kind, you have those with learning disabilities, you have bullies, you have those who are not good communicators, what ever, Teachers are taught to teach not to be therapists or whatever, yes, they need to have control of their class rooms and be in authority but thta can be hard with all the issues presented. Also some o fus are christian parents who want their children to learn biblical values and morals and to be encouraged to follow the commandments and not be riduculed becasue they read their Bibles and pray. There are also alot more crime in the schools, when I was a kid, yes there were fights, but kids are sneaking guns into the schools and killing each other. Schools should be a safe zone not a place where kids may be scared to walk in the doors or for parents to have to worry about if it is going to be their school next or their child. There are also child molesters in the schools, believe it or not, it happens, again, parents shouldn't have to worry about their kids when they send them to school. Kids are cruel at times and becasue of that there are a lot of bullies and I guaretee there will be some kids who are not comfortable going to school becaus eof the teasing and turmoil that is casued upon them. As a parent it is my respeosbility to teach and to guide my children into becoming good productive adults therefore it is up to me to provide them with the best education that I possibly can and wheter that means home schooling, private or public schools, who knows, we are all different and our children have different needs and personalities and they deserve to be in the best environment that can be offered them SOme kids learn better one on one then they do in a class setting as well as vice versa. Homeschooling isn't just sitting at the table all day and being lectured to and assigned homework. there are programs and conventins and even field trips to participate it, there are support groups as well as requirements and guidelines just like in the system. I personally will either home school or my children will go private schools, no way will I send them to a public school system, especially where we live. Not happening. My children are still young but my oldest is in preschool and already ahead of her class, and very social and well behaved, she loves her class and the activities that she does and she is the only one in her class that has never attended daycare, parents can teach anfd guide their children, just because a parent doesn't have a piece of paer doesn't mean they cannot teach and guide their kids, I worked in several child cares and have worked with those with and with out degrees and let me tell you, a piece of paper doesn't gaurentee a good teacher. We should be thankfult hat we live in a country where the parents can figure out what is best for their child and not allow the system to dictate that for us. We have freedom of choice and that is a good thing, especially when it comes to providing our children the best of the best when it comes to educating them. Every one has theri reasons and as long as they have their children as top priority, it will work.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last