Message Boards

Topic : Working Moms

Number of Replies: 83
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:41:00 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you work outside of the home? Share advice on juggling family and work with other moms in the workforce.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 16, 2006, 1:21 pm CST

I am one stessed mom

I work full time and have 2 kids one is 15 my daughter and my 10 year old son.  I also work overtime sometimes to help with bills and stuff,  I am depressed and on wellbutrin and anxiety meds.  I have no clue what my purpose in life is.  I love my husband and his job sometimes makes it where is has to work late.  I don't know why but I can just cry over anything. I worked with the schools because my son was hitting me.  T hey asked me if my husband ever hit me,,,and I replied NO!  The teacher then asked why do I take it from my son?  I wish someone out there could understand me..cause I really don't understand myself..I feel worthless and I know it's getting worse.

March 26, 2006, 4:08 pm CST

Getting ready to start a new job!?! please help!

My husband is losing his job on May 5th of this year. He has been our major bread winner for the past 5 yrs. I have the opportunity of a lifetime to start a job about the same time he loses his, starting wage @ $21.42/hr and after 5 yrs I'll be @ over $30/hr. GREAT right?! Except I had my first baby in December of 2003 and I'm scared something will happen to him while I'm at work. Yes, his dad is a very good dad (very clean, hard working, no drugs or alcohol). But it makes me nervous that he might not be as watchful as me. I keep having dreams about the baby falling on the driveway and his teeth going through his lip, or him hitting his head and getting hurt really bad, running out in front of a car, falling down the cement stairs on the front porch and breaking his nose.........the list is never-ending!!!! Can anyone give me any advice on how to cope with not being his watchful eye all day? I would never forgive myself if something happens to him while I'm gone??!! 

March 29, 2006, 2:22 am CST

hope this is a little helpful

Quote From: amw1217

My husband is losing his job on May 5th of this year. He has been our major bread winner for the past 5 yrs. I have the opportunity of a lifetime to start a job about the same time he loses his, starting wage @ $21.42/hr and after 5 yrs I'll be @ over $30/hr. GREAT right?! Except I had my first baby in December of 2003 and I'm scared something will happen to him while I'm at work. Yes, his dad is a very good dad (very clean, hard working, no drugs or alcohol). But it makes me nervous that he might not be as watchful as me. I keep having dreams about the baby falling on the driveway and his teeth going through his lip, or him hitting his head and getting hurt really bad, running out in front of a car, falling down the cement stairs on the front porch and breaking his nose.........the list is never-ending!!!! Can anyone give me any advice on how to cope with not being his watchful eye all day? I would never forgive myself if something happens to him while I'm gone??!! 
It sounds to  me like you are a GREAT Mom.  You worry about your child just like any mom would.  But if this job is your dream,I would go for it..Sometimes it's best not to worry about things you can't control,believe me I've been there.  Sorry I'm not much help, but if you need someone to write with I would gladly listen... take care :)   signed huntington

March 29, 2006, 1:06 pm CST

How do you do it????

This is my first post. Just wondering how everyone does it. I have just started back at work full time, leaving my 10 month old at home.  Right now my hubby is on parental leave and when he goes back to work my mother in-law will look after my son. Our shifts fall so that we will only need her one full day and two days for an hour per week. I think they do a good job but I am the most qualified (I have a background in E.C.E) and I can't afford to do it. I miss my son so much. I just want to go home. How do you deal with it??

April 5, 2006, 1:35 pm CDT

Maternity Leave

I have 2 boys (one 8 and one 2 months old) and I have to go back to work in 3 weeks.    I am extremely anxious about having somone else watching and raising  my kids during the day and wish life could be simpler so that I can just stay home and raise my boys.  I feel that 3 months of (unpaid) maternity leave is such a short time to stay at home after having a child.  They are so impressionable and change so much during the first  year.  I  know another lady I work with could only stay at home for 6 weeks with her child. Financially she couldn't take off any longer.   I am curious how long  people have taken off after they have their child.  I moved  to the USA from Canada and I guess we were spoiled up there but  one gets paid maternity leave for a year that the father and mother can split.  I wish that they could have a program like that down here.  Enough with my ranting, I was wondering how the heck I can kick this guilt and anxiety about going back to work.

April 21, 2006, 11:29 pm CDT

overworked

Hi all,  

I am 23 years old and have 4 kids, i work on an avarage of 80+ hours a week. I work awake overnights and then watch my firends kids plus mine during the day. I get like 3 hours of sleep a night - day and work weekends..  Sometimes i feel like i dont spend any time with my kids, i am always working, meetings and whatever else i have to do. I want to get ahead in the world and have everyone stop judging me. People stare at me and jugde me all time because i have 4 childern. for example when i go food shopping they automaticly assume that i am on food stamps, and it upsets me because i work very hard to support me and my kids. I know that i should not care what they think but ir really bothers me.. 

I feel like i dont spend that much time with them so on my days off i bring them everywere i can think of for example in one weekend we went to the circus, park, out to eat, the zoo, and an easter egg hunt. is that wrong of me? My 3 year old cry's everytime that i leave, and my 10 month old is such a daddys girl now because he gets to spend all the time with them and not me and i am jealous because he has a relationship like that with her and not me, (he can get her to wave bye bye and say dada) and she wont do it for me. what can i do, I cant really stop working because i am trying to buy a house ( i have never lived in a house before).  

I get depressed every once in a while becuase people my age are out partying and i am at work or home all the time, i love my kids and i would never give them up for anything, they chaged my life for the better but sometimes i just want to "act my age"  How can I feel like my age but still be responsible.. Sorry i just have a lot on my mind right now and hope there are some young moms out there that want to chat sometime....  

April 21, 2006, 11:38 pm CDT

Working Moms

Quote From: huntington

I work full time and have 2 kids one is 15 my daughter and my 10 year old son.  I also work overtime sometimes to help with bills and stuff,  I am depressed and on wellbutrin and anxiety meds.  I have no clue what my purpose in life is.  I love my husband and his job sometimes makes it where is has to work late.  I don't know why but I can just cry over anything. I worked with the schools because my son was hitting me.  T hey asked me if my husband ever hit me,,,and I replied NO!  The teacher then asked why do I take it from my son?  I wish someone out there could understand me..cause I really don't understand myself..I feel worthless and I know it's getting worse.

Hey ---  Hang in there things will get better.. my daughter used to hit me all the time and i took he to therphy and she stopped after a while (5 years of age). There is a reason why he is hitting you just need to find out why.. he is angry at you for some reason. Maybe he realizes if there is tension in the air ( money probelms). Kids like to blam themselves for things even though we know that it is not there fault.  

You should try and find something that you enjoy doing, and maybe your purpose in life is to raise your kids. you are not worthless you have two kids that depend on you and need you!!!! Hang in there 

May 2, 2006, 12:29 am CDT

moms greatest thing in the world

Hi Freind, 

this the first time am sharing here but i watch Dr. Phil shaw i didnt miss it it  gives me new ideas for easy & systemed life. iwant to tell you about me am a mother for 3 kids 9 - 8 - 3 & step mom for 4 kids 15 - 13 - 11 - 8 , am working 8 to 9 houres do you see how complicated my life? i deal with it am working frm 9 to 6 when am home from 7 to 9 i be sure that the kids eat wash doing home work prepare school stuff for tomorrow , un finshed needs & fighting between the kids took all my energy my husband is good he help me in this but we dont know how to solve it pls if any oone had expereince about the mixed family pls write to me , i want to add that  the biological mother is married but still want to distroy my life with her unseen ways. 

pls help me 

May 2, 2006, 12:54 am CDT

To hang

Quote From: leggs21

Hey ---  Hang in there things will get better.. my daughter used to hit me all the time and i took he to therphy and she stopped after a while (5 years of age). There is a reason why he is hitting you just need to find out why.. he is angry at you for some reason. Maybe he realizes if there is tension in the air ( money probelms). Kids like to blam themselves for things even though we know that it is not there fault.  

You should try and find something that you enjoy doing, and maybe your purpose in life is to raise your kids. you are not worthless you have two kids that depend on you and need you!!!! Hang in there 

Hi Hang,  

nothing in the world worth your angry & upset pls u have to more reasonable how the kid hit his mom this unrespectable u raised this boy the wrong way i have 7 kids boys & one girl frm 15 to 3 years no one rise his voice when i told them to do anything they did it with out late you are a mother you love them but there is a limit dont allow your son to hit you punish him immeiatly tell him you love him but he has to shaw his respect you feed them you clean them you help them in scool you brouht them to the life , another thing dont forget to care about your self your weight your look take the kids and go some where for funn twice a week if  from your income safe little behind your back for the future for your own dont tell any one , dont cry dont yell be cold love your self , be sure that your husband is working nothing else he has to share your pain, & dont forget shaw your love to your family & dont forget your self, walk , run , go around, make freindships with others dont lock yourself  lonely we need to connect with the world it rally help when they see you calm beautifull your home clean smell good they will run to you even your husband he will be back early talk to him nice dont ever yell to your husband or your kids when you change they change , tell me about the results, 

best wishes 

May 4, 2006, 12:36 pm CDT

I hear you

Quote From: leggs21

Hi all,  

I am 23 years old and have 4 kids, i work on an avarage of 80+ hours a week. I work awake overnights and then watch my firends kids plus mine during the day. I get like 3 hours of sleep a night - day and work weekends..  Sometimes i feel like i dont spend any time with my kids, i am always working, meetings and whatever else i have to do. I want to get ahead in the world and have everyone stop judging me. People stare at me and jugde me all time because i have 4 childern. for example when i go food shopping they automaticly assume that i am on food stamps, and it upsets me because i work very hard to support me and my kids. I know that i should not care what they think but ir really bothers me.. 

I feel like i dont spend that much time with them so on my days off i bring them everywere i can think of for example in one weekend we went to the circus, park, out to eat, the zoo, and an easter egg hunt. is that wrong of me? My 3 year old cry's everytime that i leave, and my 10 month old is such a daddys girl now because he gets to spend all the time with them and not me and i am jealous because he has a relationship like that with her and not me, (he can get her to wave bye bye and say dada) and she wont do it for me. what can i do, I cant really stop working because i am trying to buy a house ( i have never lived in a house before).  

I get depressed every once in a while becuase people my age are out partying and i am at work or home all the time, i love my kids and i would never give them up for anything, they chaged my life for the better but sometimes i just want to "act my age"  How can I feel like my age but still be responsible.. Sorry i just have a lot on my mind right now and hope there are some young moms out there that want to chat sometime....  

Wow!  I have to say I am so glad there is someone else out there going through the same things I am.  I only have 2 kids but I know where you are coming from.  I feel like I never get a break either.  I also do not work as many hours but I work evenings and late nights at a bar, I only really see my 8year old two days a week for maybe 3 to 4 hours, the rest of the days i go to work before she even gets home from school. I would really like to chat sometime and compare our stories

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last