Message Boards

Topic : Working Moms

Number of Replies: 83
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:41:00 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you work outside of the home? Share advice on juggling family and work with other moms in the workforce.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 7, 2005, 3:35 pm CDT

I'm new

Hello, my name is Jennifer!  I'm a 23 year old mommy of 4!  I have a 6 year old son, a 5 year old daughter, a 3 year old son, and a 7 mo old daughter.  I've been married to my DH, who is 30, for 6 years!  I work 2 jobs, while he stays home with the kids.  I love my jobs but miss my kids...however, i know it's the only option, so i do what i have to do!

September 8, 2005, 12:02 pm CDT

WOrking mom

Hi all !  I was a stay at home for 7 yrs, last year I went to work part time in the evenings.  I have three boys and a hubby that I like to prepare supper for before I leave.  I leave for work at 3:45 and my hubby gets home at 430.  I don't imagine after a hard day that he wants to prepare a long big meal!  My problem is I am running out of ideas that I can make.  I always peel the pototoes and put them and the veggies in the pot, and then he cooks the meat.  Or I will make a stew type thing, or casseroles but I am running out of ideas if anyone can help!  Thanks!

September 8, 2005, 12:05 pm CDT

Finding time to myself

For the longest time I cmplained that I never had any me time.  And the thing is you are responsible for taking that me time your self.  And the other thing that I had to remember is me time is allowed to have back ground noise!  I used to think that in order to get me time the kids had to be gone.....I am learning that is not the case....look at me know my son is watching TV and I am on the computer and I am having me time. 

I also do things like talking on the phone. Tweezing my eyebrows, what ever it might be.  I am realizing I have a lot of me time.  I was just taking it for granted and not realizing I really did have it!   

September 10, 2005, 1:28 pm CDT

Where does the time go???

Quote From: tray00

For the longest time I cmplained that I never had any me time.  And the thing is you are responsible for taking that me time your self.  And the other thing that I had to remember is me time is allowed to have back ground noise!  I used to think that in order to get me time the kids had to be gone.....I am learning that is not the case....look at me know my son is watching TV and I am on the computer and I am having me time. 

I also do things like talking on the phone. Tweezing my eyebrows, what ever it might be.  I am realizing I have a lot of me time.  I was just taking it for granted and not realizing I really did have it!   

Hi.  I read your message and it dawned on me that you were making a valid point.  You know, about having the time and not realising it.  I don`t mean I am blind to the fact that half the day is mine to do with as I want, but that there are moments where we do have time and maybe we just have to be aware of them.  I am very lucky that most nights, my three boys sleep all night (even the baby) so I am not a mum who needs to sleep during the day.  I remember those days well, as my first son was up all night and I had to sleep during the day when I could.  But, when my baby is awake during the day, I get on with the housework as best I can, even if he is in his bouncy chair beside me and then when he takes a nap - I will make a coffee, read a magazine or book draw, or whatever I like.  I know this is a luxury for some mums and it doesn`t always work out like this is the baby is crying all day and just doesn`t settle.....  no housework gets done and no time to myself, but we must try to stay positive and remember.... one day we will have lots of time to ourselves and even have moments when we are sad the kids are gone.  God bless all mums and dads who try their hardest whatever life throws at them.  It is the hardest job in the world, and we aren`t perfect, but I think the majority of us do a bloomin good job.  God bless us all tonight and forever.

September 12, 2005, 8:03 pm CDT

Website for recipes

Quote From: tray00

Hi all !  I was a stay at home for 7 yrs, last year I went to work part time in the evenings.  I have three boys and a hubby that I like to prepare supper for before I leave.  I leave for work at 3:45 and my hubby gets home at 430.  I don't imagine after a hard day that he wants to prepare a long big meal!  My problem is I am running out of ideas that I can make.  I always peel the pototoes and put them and the veggies in the pot, and then he cooks the meat.  Or I will make a stew type thing, or casseroles but I am running out of ideas if anyone can help!  Thanks!

Hi!  Check out Allrecipes.com, great stuff there, tons of ideas. 

~Ceno 

September 18, 2005, 8:03 am CDT

ceno

Quote From: cenobia

Hi!  Check out Allrecipes.com, great stuff there, tons of ideas. 

Ceno 

Thanks  I wil check that out.

September 21, 2005, 2:36 am CDT

Hi Judy

Quote From: judypoody

Hey there, Holland Mum, from Scotland Mum.....  

You sound like you have things worked out pretty well... and the fact that your husband and kids help out is fantastic...  not everyone is as blessed with that help.  However, congratulations on getting back into the workplace and I hope the added hours are what you wanted.    

As for finding time for yourself...  perhaps if you sat and listed the sort of things you would like to do in your free time.... then you can start to work out how to obtain that precious time.  I find it hard at the moment to find the time - but I have made a start as I know what I would do with it if I had it!!!!  I want to do a bit of drawing, write letters to friends, go for walks (alone) and visit friends I have not visited for a good while.  I list the things I want to do and strive to tick them off my list as I do them, even if it takes me a hundred or so years to do them all.  Everytime I get one thing done, it keeps me going..... the list will never end as I keep adding things as they come up.  I suppose good time management is the key, and help from the family...... they have to understand it is important for you to have your alone time to get your head around life, etc!  Of course, I dont have the magic answer that will get you loads of time alone, but maybe someone out there has a better suggestion.  I hope you find what works for you...... let us know on this message board.  I think every mum in the world would love the answer to this one!!!!  Good luck friend!!!!  

Judy :-)  

Hi mummy from Scotland, 

I'am very glead with the help from my husband and kids, I know too that not everybody is blessed with that,  thank you very much for the congrats...I'am very glead that  I found a job because I did not work for a few years because I 'am ill , I have rheuma, so I was so glead that they gave me this change tot start again. 

I think that it was a good tip   from you to make a  list  with all the things I want to do, I started with that , important things to do at number one, etc etc. 

I think that will work, I need a bit time to work with a list but I think I will manage. 

I planned a saunaday one in a month, and that is great!!!! 

Thank you very much and  I let you know how it will work out, 

Take care from Holland, 

Karin 

September 21, 2005, 2:49 am CDT

hi Ceno

Quote From: cenobia

Hi Dutchkaren, 

I steal little moments for myself throughout my day.  For instance, watching Dr. Phil is my time, and I send the kids off to their rooms to play.  And I'm not just sitting there watching it either, I'm cross stitching or knitting, whatever, sometimes even reading a book.  Then after bedtime, I usually do the cleaning, then after that I'm free for at least an hour for whatever I want.  I feel lucky though, because I know many mothers who can't find time, even at night when the kids are asleep.  I also stay up late if I feel I need extra time to myself.  I can't go to bed right after the kids, because even though I'm sleeping, I feel I haven't had the quiet time I need.  Sounds funny, but if I do go to bed right after the kids, there is usually a great chance I'll be cranky in the morning.   

Another thing I have noticed from my friends, and something that was pointed out to me in a parenting class,   was that mom's always feel that the housework needs to be done on time etc.  Well it doesn't.  The dishes can wait, the folding can wait, the ironing can wait etc.  It doesn't need to be done right away.The end of the world won't appear if dishes are in the sink.  I used to clean all day long and when we discussed it in the parenting class it took a while for me to realize that they were right.  So now I don't do the laundry as soon as the dryer bell goes off, I don't do the dishes right after dinner.  They can sit there for a while.  Why should I miss time with my kids, or time to myself, or cuddle time with my husband because of a few silly chores?  My house is still clean, I just learned that it's not the most important thing I have to do.  LOL!  Hope that makes sense... 

Ceno =) 

Hi Ceno, 

You are so right!!! 

Family is very important to me too,  I made a list with things I want to do and that works. 

Why should I miss time with my kids, or time to myself, or cuddle time with my husband because of a few silly chores?  My house is still clean, I just learned that it's not the most important thing I have to do.  

That is a nice Quote, and I will not forget that!!! 

Thank you very much, take care Karin 

September 28, 2005, 4:10 pm CDT

Organization

I have 2 children ages 8 and 4.  I have been a working mom since my first was 4 months old.  The key to it all in organization and priorities.  I am a full time elementary teacher and going for my masters.  My husband works 50+ hours a week.  I have come to terms that during the week it is my job to make sure my kids are picked up from school, get to their after school activities and homework is done.  My children have chores they do every night.  Between the three of us we get all of the household chores done and get ready for the next day with plenty of time to play  a game and relax.  Our family lives for the weekends.  One day my husband and I switch on and off to give each other time with the children and time to spend doing things by ourselves.  Sunday is family day.  I feel I am able to spend plenty of time with my children as well as giving it all to my career.  I also feel I am teaching my children responsibility and family values.   

September 29, 2005, 2:32 am CDT

To Mary

Quote From: mary23

I have 2 children ages 8 and 4.  I have been a working mom since my first was 4 months old.  The key to it all in organization and priorities.  I am a full time elementary teacher and going for my masters.  My husband works 50+ hours a week.  I have come to terms that during the week it is my job to make sure my kids are picked up from school, get to their after school activities and homework is done.  My children have chores they do every night.  Between the three of us we get all of the household chores done and get ready for the next day with plenty of time to play  a game and relax.  Our family lives for the weekends.  One day my husband and I switch on and off to give each other time with the children and time to spend doing things by ourselves.  Sunday is family day.  I feel I am able to spend plenty of time with my children as well as giving it all to my career.  I also feel I am teaching my children responsibility and family values.   

WOW, a full-time working mother and a father who is working 50 hours a week! 

Perhaps a strange question but do you have time to prepare  dinner and eat together, and what with all the other things at home? 

I work 20 hours a week , my husband full-time,  and our childern are 15 and 17, don't you have the feeling that you miss a lot from the childern??  

I stayed at home untill the kids were in school, and I loved that, I did not want to miss all the things they learned during the first few years. 

I want to say that you must very proud that you can manage your family that way, because I could not do that like you!! 

greetings from the Netherlands, 

Karin 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last