Message Boards

Topic : I Want to Adopt

Number of Replies: 474
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:23:45 pm
Author : dataimport
Has infertility struggling left you ready to bring a child into your home through adoption? Are you finished having kids but feel the need to share your home with one more child? Share your reasons for wanting to adopt and love for children with us.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 4, 2006, 10:08 pm CST

I Want to Adopt

Quote From: smoke73

Thank you for the vote of confidence.... I pray every night someone will put a child in my arms and in our home so we can show him love and security.  And i honestly don't believe that God would take away the one dream i had my whole life.  If that were the case it would make me rethink my faith.  I have always believed in god and believe he won't give us more than we can handle, and this is one thing I know i can handle.  So hopefully in the next couple of months we will have our answers.!! 

Your welcome.  I to pray that same prayer.  At the age of 7 I have always wanted to adopt.  That is why I believe God brought my husband into my life 5 years ago.  He is my gift from God and he too wanted to add to his family through the miracle of adoption but never did cause his ex-wife never wanted to adopt.  Three months before we started to date God spoke to me about adoption again as I was going through a time of non cancerous ovarian cysts and fibroids and the doctors not promising that I would get pregnant.  I felt cheated of not being able to get pregnant when I get married and that is when the Lord said to me, "All women can give birth, but , not all women can be mothers so look over to the collectable infants you adopted...you gave them a home."  "Remember your children have growin in your heart for all these years and you said it didn't matter if you had your own or adopted."  He really got me excited about adopting all over again just like when I was that little 7 year old girl telling my mommy I was going to adopt when I get married.  So I have had the same dream like you.  Dont give up hope on adopting your child/children cause God is picking just the right one/ones for you.  My husband and I found a wonderful church to attend that believes in adoption and they speak if God calls you to adopt...Adopt as it's an expierence of a lifetime.  Our Pastor and his wife along with our associate Pastor and his wife have adopted internationally and now our Pastor and his wife just adopted an infant little girl.  They give me so much hope and support as they have been praying for an infant for 17 years and she finally came.  They're son was two when they adopted him. Our church is so diverse when it comes to adoption as we have 2 from cambodia, 1 from the Philippeans and two from China and I here there might be another little one from China in a year or so.  My heart along with my husbands melt for bi-racial children so that is what we are going for but if it's caucation children that the Lord brings our way then that is fine as well.  We are looking to adopt 2 children as we don't want a child growing up alone.  We have friends who are bi-racial and friends who have bi-racail children so we would have so much support.  We just have to remember God's timing...He is never early, never late, just right on time.  Please keep us posted as I get so excited talking to people who are in Foster Care and going through adoptions. 

January 5, 2006, 3:28 pm CST

This is what I heard...

Quote From: wimbushp

My husband and I wanted to do IVF but we could not afford the possibilities of several sessions. So, we looked into adopting and to our amazement it was just as expensive to adopt. I have read the message board and it breaks my heart to know that there are so many deserving and willing families to take on the responsibility of adopting and the red-tape and other social-economical issues be a barrier for these more so deserving children to be placed in loving homes.

...that infertility (and that sorta thing) treatments start cheap but they get more and more expensive and many people soon realise that they are spending the same amount of money or more on these treatments. That's just what I heard so don't pick one over the other because of money as both of them will likely add up to the same enormous bill. 

Good luck! 

January 6, 2006, 10:55 am CST

Again Thank you

Quote From: myfaith

Your welcome.  I to pray that same prayer.  At the age of 7 I have always wanted to adopt.  That is why I believe God brought my husband into my life 5 years ago.  He is my gift from God and he too wanted to add to his family through the miracle of adoption but never did cause his ex-wife never wanted to adopt.  Three months before we started to date God spoke to me about adoption again as I was going through a time of non cancerous ovarian cysts and fibroids and the doctors not promising that I would get pregnant.  I felt cheated of not being able to get pregnant when I get married and that is when the Lord said to me, "All women can give birth, but , not all women can be mothers so look over to the collectable infants you adopted...you gave them a home."  "Remember your children have growin in your heart for all these years and you said it didn't matter if you had your own or adopted."  He really got me excited about adopting all over again just like when I was that little 7 year old girl telling my mommy I was going to adopt when I get married.  So I have had the same dream like you.  Dont give up hope on adopting your child/children cause God is picking just the right one/ones for you.  My husband and I found a wonderful church to attend that believes in adoption and they speak if God calls you to adopt...Adopt as it's an expierence of a lifetime.  Our Pastor and his wife along with our associate Pastor and his wife have adopted internationally and now our Pastor and his wife just adopted an infant little girl.  They give me so much hope and support as they have been praying for an infant for 17 years and she finally came.  They're son was two when they adopted him. Our church is so diverse when it comes to adoption as we have 2 from cambodia, 1 from the Philippeans and two from China and I here there might be another little one from China in a year or so.  My heart along with my husbands melt for bi-racial children so that is what we are going for but if it's caucation children that the Lord brings our way then that is fine as well.  We are looking to adopt 2 children as we don't want a child growing up alone.  We have friends who are bi-racial and friends who have bi-racail children so we would have so much support.  We just have to remember God's timing...He is never early, never late, just right on time.  Please keep us posted as I get so excited talking to people who are in Foster Care and going through adoptions. 

Well yesterday we got all our paper work and finger prints into family services.....we should be attending classes at the end of the month and then from there who knows.  I have high hopes, but maybe got doesn't want me to have my own child!  Which would break my heart.  But I am hoping and praying that adopting children is in gods plan for me!!

January 7, 2006, 6:50 am CST

I Want to adopt

Well yesterday we got all our paper work and finger prints into family services.....we should be attending classes at the end of the month and then from there who knows.  I have high hopes, but maybe got doesn't want me to have my own child!  Which would break my heart.  But I am hoping and praying that adopting children is in gods plan for me!!
I cried reading you message my husband and I can't have children together.  Mainly b/c of our age over 40.  Had tests, surgery for fibroid and can't find any reason why we can't conceive only the Dr.'s just keep saying it's your age.  We didn't do IVF b/c of costs and not sure how it will affect my body as well as time consuming.  We decided to adopt internationally Philippines.  The waiting is the hardest.  Now the person we are using is not returning our calls and we feel so stuck w/investing so much time into this.  All our paperwork is approved just trying to find a way to get  our 2 children home.  So I certainly can understand how you feel.  I cry almost everyday especially when I read the message boards and see how many other couples are going thru what we are.  Anyone who may have any advice or just talk I sure could use some support right now let me know.  Keeping ya'll in our prayers.   There are children out there for you and all of us.  Hang in there!!!!

January 7, 2006, 8:46 am CST

I understand

Quote From: pkfoster

I cried reading you message my husband and I can't have children together.  Mainly b/c of our age over 40.  Had tests, surgery for fibroid and can't find any reason why we can't conceive only the Dr.'s just keep saying it's your age.  We didn't do IVF b/c of costs and not sure how it will affect my body as well as time consuming.  We decided to adopt internationally Philippines.  The waiting is the hardest.  Now the person we are using is not returning our calls and we feel so stuck w/investing so much time into this.  All our paperwork is approved just trying to find a way to get  our 2 children home.  So I certainly can understand how you feel.  I cry almost everyday especially when I read the message boards and see how many other couples are going thru what we are.  Anyone who may have any advice or just talk I sure could use some support right now let me know.  Keeping ya'll in our prayers.   There are children out there for you and all of us.  Hang in there!!!!
As I have mentioned before I have 2 beautiful step children whom I absolutely love and adore, but I want a child or 2 of my own that I can share that love and adoration w/.  I cry alot too, hubby doesn't know it.  But  I feel an empty place in my heart where at least 1 or 2 children could fill, and maybe i could fill some emptiness in thier lives also.  Have you concidered fostering first??  That is what we have decided to do!!!  I is something to think about !!  My prayers are w/ you and let me know what happens.  I'm sure you will have a child in your arms very very soon!!!

January 7, 2006, 11:09 pm CST

I feel your pain...

It's hard not being able to concieve when all you wanted to do is fall in love, get married, get pregnant and deliever a baby.  When I was done with having babies then I wanted to adopt at least 1 or 2 children as I wanted 6 children all together.  Before I met my husband I had 5 non-cancerous ovarian cysts that all ruptured encluding the 3 firbroids.  After the first rupture to the last which was five months... I swealled up like I was 8 to 9 months pregnant I had to go buy maturnity clothes cause my clothes didn't fit.  I even had numerous strangers ask me if it's a boy or girl, if I had names picked out, when my due date was ect...that was hard.  After the first year of marriage I went through pregnancy signs for 1 year as my breast swealled and had all day sickness.  I come to find out that my prolactin level increased causing a pituitary tumor that wasn't cancerous and I was full of milk.  They actually gave me the drug dostinex...the same drug they give new mom's to dry up their milk.  I lived two years of pregnancy signs until the tumor shrunk.  In the mean time I continued to swell up  off and on but only looking like I was about 6 to 7 months along.  I've been going through a roller coster of emotions of not having a child with my husband especailly in the last two years to three years.  It's not easy looking and feeling like your 6 to 7 months pregnant without having any baby in the end.  It's been a hard five years but I have a very supportive husband and family who cant wait for the day when God blesses us with our child.  My heart yearns to hold my child and tell him/her how much I love them and I know my husband does also.  I have alot of friends who have adopted internationally and domestically...It is a hard long wait, but don't get discouraged.  Timing is everything.  I don't know where you are in your faith, but God hears our cries and prayers and He is picking out the right child for us.  Our pastor and his wife just adopted a baby girl domestically and their first was internationally.  We are having a shower for her this Saturday and I always get a gift that is heart felt and different than what other people give.  I picked up this picture frame/plack at Northwestern Bible Book Store and when I saw it I knew this was for them.  Under the place where the picture goes it says:  "For this child I prayed...and the Lord has heard my prayers." 1 Samuel 1:27.  Then on the side of the picture it's titled "Gift from God " and it says: Thank You, Lord, for giving us this precious child to love.  May God bless this special gift so fresh from His own heart.  Then another scripture under that which says: Children are a gift from the Lord.  Psalm 127:3.  When I read it I cried as it's so true for them as they prayed 17 years for this little one.   Another reason I cried is that my husband and I have been praying for our child who has not yet come into our lives for 5 years but I've been praying for my children for a total of 14 years.  For 18 years I've prayed for my husband to come into my life and finally he did.  God answered my prayer for my husband and I know that He will answer my prayer for two children for us to adopt.  It's his timing not ours...we just have to be patient.  Like I said God is never early, never late but always on time.   

Did you get a refural yet?  Your paperwork is approved by the agency or INS?  What agency are you with?  Keep me posted and I will be praying for you.    

January 8, 2006, 6:13 am CST

Ready to adopt

Quote From: myfaith

It's hard not being able to concieve when all you wanted to do is fall in love, get married, get pregnant and deliever a baby.  When I was done with having babies then I wanted to adopt at least 1 or 2 children as I wanted 6 children all together.  Before I met my husband I had 5 non-cancerous ovarian cysts that all ruptured encluding the 3 firbroids.  After the first rupture to the last which was five months... I swealled up like I was 8 to 9 months pregnant I had to go buy maturnity clothes cause my clothes didn't fit.  I even had numerous strangers ask me if it's a boy or girl, if I had names picked out, when my due date was ect...that was hard.  After the first year of marriage I went through pregnancy signs for 1 year as my breast swealled and had all day sickness.  I come to find out that my prolactin level increased causing a pituitary tumor that wasn't cancerous and I was full of milk.  They actually gave me the drug dostinex...the same drug they give new mom's to dry up their milk.  I lived two years of pregnancy signs until the tumor shrunk.  In the mean time I continued to swell up  off and on but only looking like I was about 6 to 7 months along.  I've been going through a roller coster of emotions of not having a child with my husband especailly in the last two years to three years.  It's not easy looking and feeling like your 6 to 7 months pregnant without having any baby in the end.  It's been a hard five years but I have a very supportive husband and family who cant wait for the day when God blesses us with our child.  My heart yearns to hold my child and tell him/her how much I love them and I know my husband does also.  I have alot of friends who have adopted internationally and domestically...It is a hard long wait, but don't get discouraged.  Timing is everything.  I don't know where you are in your faith, but God hears our cries and prayers and He is picking out the right child for us.  Our pastor and his wife just adopted a baby girl domestically and their first was internationally.  We are having a shower for her this Saturday and I always get a gift that is heart felt and different than what other people give.  I picked up this picture frame/plack at Northwestern Bible Book Store and when I saw it I knew this was for them.  Under the place where the picture goes it says:  "For this child I prayed...and the Lord has heard my prayers." 1 Samuel 1:27.  Then on the side of the picture it's titled "Gift from God " and it says: Thank You, Lord, for giving us this precious child to love.  May God bless this special gift so fresh from His own heart.  Then another scripture under that which says: Children are a gift from the Lord.  Psalm 127:3.  When I read it I cried as it's so true for them as they prayed 17 years for this little one.   Another reason I cried is that my husband and I have been praying for our child who has not yet come into our lives for 5 years but I've been praying for my children for a total of 14 years.  For 18 years I've prayed for my husband to come into my life and finally he did.  God answered my prayer for my husband and I know that He will answer my prayer for two children for us to adopt.  It's his timing not ours...we just have to be patient.  Like I said God is never early, never late but always on time.   

Did you get a refural yet?  Your paperwork is approved by the agency or INS?  What agency are you with?  Keep me posted and I will be praying for you.    

I'm sorry to hear that you had gone thru so much.  I admire the fact you are able to go to baby  

showers.  Right now I can not.   

Did you get a refural yet?   No  What agency are you with?   the person we are working with has strong ties in the Philippines and his in-laws run a foster care in their home. We are to go to the Philippines and pick out our children.    If this guy doesn't call us back soon we will have to look into going to an agency etc.  Do you know what agency your Pastor used for their 1st child?  Your paperwork is approved by the agency or INS?  Our paperwork has been approved by INS and is over in the US Embassy Manila, Philippines. 

Keep me posted and I will be praying for you.    Thanks for the prayers ( I am Catholic)  we all certainly can use them.  As we will keep you in ours.  I do understand that it is God's timing not ours.  I guess I am just very emotional right now and have kept alot of my feeling inside.  My husband is very supportive and it's just nice to hear from other woman who can understand what we are feeling and going thru.  That your not alone! 

I awaited for my husband for 5 years to come into my life and almost 5 years now for our children.  I do have 2 adult step daughters and step grandchildren that I love dearly.     

If you would like to e-mail me my address is pkfoster@direcway.com.   

January 8, 2006, 6:25 am CST

Ready to adopt

As I have mentioned before I have 2 beautiful step children whom I absolutely love and adore, but I want a child or 2 of my own that I can share that love and adoration w/.  I cry alot too, hubby doesn't know it.  But  I feel an empty place in my heart where at least 1 or 2 children could fill, and maybe i could fill some emptiness in thier lives also.  Have you concidered fostering first??  That is what we have decided to do!!!  I is something to think about !!  My prayers are w/ you and let me know what happens.  I'm sure you will have a child in your arms very very soon!!!

Have you concidered fostering first??  Yes, we did consider Foster parenting when we found out we could not get pregnant however, we both would have a hard time letting them go.   I understand how you feel about wanting a child or 2 of your own to fill that empty place in your heart.  We even looked into Domestic adoption and found we would have to a pay alot of money just to be put out on a waiting list.  Some of these couples have been on the list for a few years now.  Internationally looked better for us.   

Let me know how Fostering works for you?  Let your Husband know that you have been crying , I do and he comforts me so I do not feel as though I'm isolating myself in our marriage.  It does help. Your Husband maybe crying too inside they just don't show their emotions like we do. My hopes and prayers are with you and you husband.    

January 10, 2006, 1:25 pm CST

I want to adopt

Have you concidered fostering first??  Yes, we did consider Foster parenting when we found out we could not get pregnant however, we both would have a hard time letting them go.   I understand how you feel about wanting a child or 2 of your own to fill that empty place in your heart.  We even looked into Domestic adoption and found we would have to a pay alot of money just to be put out on a waiting list.  Some of these couples have been on the list for a few years now.  Internationally looked better for us.   

Let me know how Fostering works for you?  Let your Husband know that you have been crying , I do and he comforts me so I do not feel as though I'm isolating myself in our marriage.  It does help. Your Husband maybe crying too inside they just don't show their emotions like we do. My hopes and prayers are with you and you husband.    

Thank you for the advice, as for my husband, he knows, and he doesn't want to comfort me, he doesn't understand and thinks I should be strong and get over it, he's not the most sensitive person in the world.  He knows how i feel, but doesn't do anything about it.  but thank you for you advice and prayers

January 20, 2006, 7:37 am CST

not always

Quote From: wimbushp

My husband and I wanted to do IVF but we could not afford the possibilities of several sessions. So, we looked into adopting and to our amazement it was just as expensive to adopt. I have read the message board and it breaks my heart to know that there are so many deserving and willing families to take on the responsibility of adopting and the red-tape and other social-economical issues be a barrier for these more so deserving children to be placed in loving homes.
I wanted to let you know that there are affordable ways to adopt.  Also, there are several adoption foundations and places that give grants and loans.  Research and pick an agency that is non-profit and has the child's best interest at heart.  We have adopted twice so far, and we are NOT rich, not even close to being wealthy.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, and if I find my way back to this  board, I'll gladly answer them!  :)

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last