Message Boards

Topic : Searching for Birth Parents

Number of Replies: 1017
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:25:10 pm
Author : dataimport

Are you adopted? Have you met your birth parents, or is searching for them important to you? Share your story.

NOTE: Please do not post personal info such as home address and phone numbers, for your safety such info will be removed.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 21, 2005, 9:33 pm CDT

Searching for Birth Parents

Quote From: squishymum

I was adopted when i was just a baby in CA.  My bio mom found me when i was 19 through a website called search angels.  3 years later the same site helped me find my bio brother in less then 3 days.  My mom found me in 2.  This site is the way to go.
I have known that I was was adotped since I was six years old. I never took action until I had a child of my own. Is it true that it takes years and a lot of money to locate your bioligical family? AND...... is it worth the wait and emotion?

October 21, 2005, 11:10 pm CDT

Fabulous news!

Quote From: amanda28

I have located Amanda in North Carolina. I plan on meeting her in a few weeks. I am a very happy Dad! 

This is great news and I am so glad that you came back to let us know.  I wish you the best in your reconnection with your daughter!! 

Cheryl 

October 21, 2005, 11:14 pm CDT

California

Quote From: pmehaffey

I have known that I was was adotped since I was six years old. I never took action until I had a child of my own. Is it true that it takes years and a lot of money to locate your bioligical family? AND...... is it worth the wait and emotion?

Quite honestly California can be one of the easier states to search in if you look at the OLD birth index and match it up with the NEW one.  This is usually done for a fee, but minimal in comparison to months, or years of searching.  You can write to me directly for info on who you can request the old birth index look-ups from...I have someone that does it fairly inexpensively...under $100 last I knew.  It will give you your first mother's surname to start with...and with non-id from the state or agency, this can be very good!! 

Cheryl 

October 21, 2005, 11:19 pm CDT

South Carolina

Quote From: ladydodge

Hi i'm 34 years old and have known from a very young age that i was adopted.  i am now married with 4 kids.  my 3 year old son was  born with sever infantile scoliosis (sp) curve in his back well actually 2 curves and they are sever.  I was born in Charleston SC.  at the medical university hospital on December 17, 1970.  my adoptive parents took me home from the hospital 3 days later.  i have searched and searched but found nothing.  DSS in charleston say that they have no record of my adoption because it was private.  the att is deceased and his wife has his records but refuses to help me in any way.  i need help.  i don't know what else to do.  i have joined most of the adoption  posts on yahoo and on the internet but nothing.  i don't know what else to do.  i even tried the emergency medical adoption search but they didn't want to really help me that much. my son needs a medical history.  but what else can i do.  i can't afford to hire someone to search for me and i can't afford to go to charleston.  not that it would do me any good. i have talked to several atts in charleston and surronding counties but they all say the same nothing will be done inless it is life or death.  i need this medical history for my children all 4 of them but specially my 3 year old son.  if anyone can help please let me know ASAP.  thanks 

SOUTH CAROLINA

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: An adopted adult, birth parents and adoptive parents can receive information at the discretion of the CEO of the adoption agency. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: An adopted adult age 21 or older can receive information on the birth parents and birth siblings, and birth parents and birth siblings can receive information regarding the adopted adult if affidavits with consent to release information have been filed with an agency. The agency must maintain a registry containing the affidavits of consent. All who register must go through counseling with the agency. 

Using the Adoption Registry: The following persons may use the adoption registry: adopted adults, birth parents and birth siblings either through the agency or State. 

South Carolina Department of Social Services
Adoption Reunion Registry
PO Box 1520
Columbia, SC 29202-1520
(803) 734-6095
(800) 922-2504 

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: An adoptee must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized. 

National Adoption Information Clearinghouse 

Have you tried to petition the courts to see if you can get your records opened for medical reasons?? 

Cheryl 

October 21, 2005, 11:25 pm CDT

Illinois

Quote From: gfk007

I was adopted right out of the hospital in Peoria, Illinois in January of 1964 through Department of Children and Family Services.  I have contacted them and have been told that my records are sealed.  There are two things that I am interested in knowing or being able to have known.  I would like information on my medical history due to some medical conditions that have arisen in my life.  I would also like for my birth mother to know that I have two wonderful parents that gave me a great upbringing and oppertunities that most children do not receive.  If there is any one whom would be willing to help me please let me know.  I do not have a lot of finances so money is a problem, I really need some directions.  Thank you in advance. 

ILLINOIS

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: For private adoptions, an adopted adult may obtain non-identifying information. For adoptions facilitated through the State Department of Child and Family Services, adopted adults, birth parents, and adoptive parents may receive non-identifying information. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: Identifying information is provided through an Adoption Registry. 

Using a confidential intermediary: Adopted adults 18 or older and adoptive parents of an adoptee younger than 18 may use the confidential intermediary service. 

Confidential Intermediary Service
3158 Des Plaines River Road
Suite 120
Des Plaines, IL 60018
(847) 298-9096; (847) 298-9097
(847) 298-9097 (fax)

Using the Adoption Registry: Birth parents, adopted adults 21 or older, adopted adults younger than 21 with the consent of their adoptive parents, and birth siblings 21 or older may use the registry. Adoptive parents, adopted adults, birth parents, and birth siblings may exchange updated medical information throughout the life of the adopted adult. The registry also may act as an intermediary if either party does not want to be contacted. All parties also may exchange pictures and written statements through the registry. 

Illinois Adoption Registry and Medical Information Exchange (IARMIE)
Department of Public Health
Division of Vital Records
535 West Jefferson Street
Springfield, IL 62761
(217) 557-5159 or toll-free in Illinois (877) 323-5299
http://www.idph.state.il.us/vital/iladoptreg.htm  

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: An adoptee may receive through the registry or petition the court in which the adoption was finalized. 

National Adoption Information Clearinghouse 

***IMPORTANT PLEASE READ*** 

As of Jan 1, 2004 not only will adult adopted persons, and adopted parents on behalf of minor adopted children, be able to petition the court, but also adult children of a deceased adopted person, adult siblings of a adopted person if the birthparent is deceased , birth parents, and adult siblings of a deceased birth parent (otherwise aunts & uncles of the adopted person). All of these people will now be able to register with the Illinois Adoption Registry for a match or will be able to petition the court for appointment of a CI. As of July 2003 there is no longer a court petition fee but the service still remains. And Judges no longer can deny a petition as it is part of the law.  

http://www.idph.state.il.us/vitalrecords/adoptioninfo.htm  

Please write for your non-identifying information..you are entitled to it...and reister with the state registry.  Also, if you feel you have exhausted all your avenues in your search, for a fee, you can utilize the Confidential Intermediary to find your first parents....Best of luck to you! 

Cheryl 

October 23, 2005, 11:48 am CDT

What to do next?

I'm helping my husband find his birthmother.  My husband is from Houston, Texas. His Birth mother placed him in Homes of Saint Marks. Born July 8,1978.  My husband contacted the adoption agency they sent him the non I.D. papers  But doesn't say much about the birth parents.  My husband contacted adoption agency again and decided to have them help him search for his birth mom.  But were getting nothing it's a dead end.  My husband would like to meet his birthmom for medical information and to just meet her.  We don't know what else to do.   Any advice would be helpful.  

Thanks, 

Christy 

October 25, 2005, 11:34 pm CDT

Quote From: amanda28

I have located Amanda in North Carolina. I plan on meeting her in a few weeks. I am a very happy Dad! 

Congratulations! I hope your meeting with your daughter goes well for you.  I was adopted and found my birth parents.  It was the most exciting time for me.  "PLEASE" let us know how it goes.   

All the best, cutekoala (Australia) 

October 30, 2005, 10:26 am CST

found

i  always new i was adopted it was  what  my parents and i always talked about finding the gaurdian angel who gave me to them and after 2 years of looking we hired kin solving ,found them in 2 days .called rite away heard a southern man answer witch later i would know as my grand father .my birth mother got on and i told her i was adopted in 1975 and my birthday and it got real quiet told her if this wasnt what she wanted i understood ,and waited after about 20 minutes of hearing her cry she told me she would call me back and she did the next day,found out my birth father died in a trucking accident 3 years earlier.but she was so excited i found them .2 years later my mom and i went to florida to meet them what a wonderful thing seeing people you look like .and to also know how much they love us to give us a better life.weve sent letters gifts pictures of grand kids and i went again in july to see hershe had been really sick and on dialisis well she waqs getting worse and she wanted me to come so my date to see her again was october 11 my dad and i were going his first meeting withj her .and my time to get more info and get the stuff she wanted me to have but she passed 1 week before i got there i didnt expect to feel the loss i did i wasnt prepared .i was 3 hours late for her service but we stopped bye and i put a coin in her plot that said peace and relized that my birth father and her werte together again and she could tell hjim all about us and that helps me greive.i got the book of her pictures of them when they were young and she kept all prenatal receipt and the paper she signed to let me go and a name book with Grace written on the front .so thats my story  have great parents and deffintly my gardian angle is watching over us. so to all birth parents thank you and love you all

October 30, 2005, 10:28 am CST

Quote From: daisyone

I'm helping my husband find his birthmother.  My husband is from Houston, Texas. His Birth mother placed him in Homes of Saint Marks. Born July 8,1978.  My husband contacted the adoption agency they sent him the non I.D. papers  But doesn't say much about the birth parents.  My husband contacted adoption agency again and decided to have them help him search for his birth mom.  But were getting nothing it's a dead end.  My husband would like to meet his birthmom for medical information and to just meet her.  We don't know what else to do.   Any advice would be helpful.  

Thanks, 

Christy 

kin solveing there amazeing good luck

November 1, 2005, 4:53 pm CST

probably will never bother

Hello I was adopted when i was six months old from a foster home I remember my parents telling me that i was adopted when i was around 8 years old the only part that upset me was that i thought maybe i would have to leave my mom and dad and when they told me that i would always be theirs I just carried on with my life I have people ask me if i want to find my birth mother I quickly tell them that please do not put mother at the end of the word birth to me she is not my mother and will never be I'm not angry about her putting me up for adoption because she could not care for me actually I thank her because I have wonderful parents that i love dearly. If she wanted to meet me i probably would and just to find out about my medical history i think would be important but other than that i really never think of it I know where my mom is shes just a phone call or quick drive away .    

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last