Message Boards

Topic : Searching for Birth Parents

Number of Replies: 1017
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:25:10 pm
Author : dataimport

Are you adopted? Have you met your birth parents, or is searching for them important to you? Share your story.

NOTE: Please do not post personal info such as home address and phone numbers, for your safety such info will be removed.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 2, 2005, 10:58 am CST

bio info

Quote From: daisyone

I'm helping my husband find his birthmother.  My husband is from Houston, Texas. His Birth mother placed him in Homes of Saint Marks. Born July 8,1978.  My husband contacted the adoption agency they sent him the non I.D. papers  But doesn't say much about the birth parents.  My husband contacted adoption agency again and decided to have them help him search for his birth mom.  But were getting nothing it's a dead end.  My husband would like to meet his birthmom for medical information and to just meet her.  We don't know what else to do.   Any advice would be helpful.  

Thanks, 

Christy 

My husband found his biological mother by hiring an outside agency. We live in massachusetts, so my advice to you is to to a search for private investigators specializing in adoptions in your area- good luck!! 

From the day we gave the agency the info that we had about my husband it was two days until they found his bio mother! I wish you the best. 

November 2, 2005, 11:00 am CST

bio mom

Quote From: cassaemmia

Hello I was adopted when i was six months old from a foster home I remember my parents telling me that i was adopted when i was around 8 years old the only part that upset me was that i thought maybe i would have to leave my mom and dad and when they told me that i would always be theirs I just carried on with my life I have people ask me if i want to find my birth mother I quickly tell them that please do not put mother at the end of the word birth to me she is not my mother and will never be I'm not angry about her putting me up for adoption because she could not care for me actually I thank her because I have wonderful parents that i love dearly. If she wanted to meet me i probably would and just to find out about my medical history i think would be important but other than that i really never think of it I know where my mom is shes just a phone call or quick drive away .    

Why would you say don't say 'mother' at the end of birth? She was the person who gave birth to you. You say you are not angry, but it sounds like you are. It is natural to have some anger!! Its okay! It doesn't make you a bad person, okay? If you have no desire to find out who your biological family is, that is your choice, and its good for you. I wish you the best

November 3, 2005, 10:40 pm CST

Thank you...

Quote From: recovery02

i  always new i was adopted it was  what  my parents and i always talked about finding the gaurdian angel who gave me to them and after 2 years of looking we hired kin solving ,found them in 2 days .called rite away heard a southern man answer witch later i would know as my grand father .my birth mother got on and i told her i was adopted in 1975 and my birthday and it got real quiet told her if this wasnt what she wanted i understood ,and waited after about 20 minutes of hearing her cry she told me she would call me back and she did the next day,found out my birth father died in a trucking accident 3 years earlier.but she was so excited i found them .2 years later my mom and i went to florida to meet them what a wonderful thing seeing people you look like .and to also know how much they love us to give us a better life.weve sent letters gifts pictures of grand kids and i went again in july to see hershe had been really sick and on dialisis well she waqs getting worse and she wanted me to come so my date to see her again was october 11 my dad and i were going his first meeting withj her .and my time to get more info and get the stuff she wanted me to have but she passed 1 week before i got there i didnt expect to feel the loss i did i wasnt prepared .i was 3 hours late for her service but we stopped bye and i put a coin in her plot that said peace and relized that my birth father and her werte together again and she could tell hjim all about us and that helps me greive.i got the book of her pictures of them when they were young and she kept all prenatal receipt and the paper she signed to let me go and a name book with Grace written on the front .so thats my story  have great parents and deffintly my gardian angle is watching over us. so to all birth parents thank you and love you all

.....from the very bottom of my heart for such wonderful words.  I am so very glad you had the opportunity to meet your first mom...what an experience that was I am sure.  And to your parents, I give them great heartfelt praise for being so supportive...makes me feel wonderful to hear this kind of story... 

Hugs to you! 

November 3, 2005, 10:51 pm CST

I understand ....

Quote From: cassaemmia

Hello I was adopted when i was six months old from a foster home I remember my parents telling me that i was adopted when i was around 8 years old the only part that upset me was that i thought maybe i would have to leave my mom and dad and when they told me that i would always be theirs I just carried on with my life I have people ask me if i want to find my birth mother I quickly tell them that please do not put mother at the end of the word birth to me she is not my mother and will never be I'm not angry about her putting me up for adoption because she could not care for me actually I thank her because I have wonderful parents that i love dearly. If she wanted to meet me i probably would and just to find out about my medical history i think would be important but other than that i really never think of it I know where my mom is shes just a phone call or quick drive away .    

...that you have no real desire to meet your first-family (I prefer this terminology instead of the usual alternative of "birth").  The dedication and love you have for your parents is wonderful, and to be honest, I would expect nothing else.  Some adoptees (and first parents for that matter) have no desire to seek out their roots/children, or to get to know their biological heritage/family, and that's ok.   

I hope that my son feels the same way about his parents...safe, loved and cared for.....I was his first mom, and nothing will ever change that.  I love him dearly, he is part of me.  I spent times singing and talking to him as if he were an adult, and not in my womb.  I told him everything that was going on....Maybe one day he will allow me to tell him in person...maybe not.  Whatever the progression of our connection, it is his choice how far it goes...and I will wait......... 

November 5, 2005, 4:54 pm CST

Found them

I was adopted at 13 months.  My Mother is German and Father is African American.  I was born in Munich,Germany. There's a name for us, it's Brown Babies.  I found my mother(she still lives in Gemany and I found my Father(he passed two years ago)  I wrote a book entitled, Mixed Blessing.  It was about the search for my biological parents. I discoveredthat I have a half sister, ut cannot find her.  Her mother's name was Alexandra Mangold and she, too, lived in Munich.  I wish I could find my half sister.  I'm glad I found boh parents.  It asnwered a lot of questions for me and allowed me to get on with my life.

November 8, 2005, 12:49 pm CST

Born November 20, 1968 in Los Angeles CA

I was born on November 20, 1968 in Los Angeles, California and adopted on February 3, 1969 in Orange County, California. My birth mom is hispanic and birth dad is white. I would like to locate them to get a medical history in case of an emergency for my 10 year old daughter's sake if anything was to happen to me. Also, I would like to express my appreciation for allowing me to be adopted by two wonderful parents. I feel so fortunate that they had the courage to give me up so I could have a better life since they were so young when I was born.  

November 9, 2005, 6:46 am CST

Looking for twins

Hello, 

Im searching for male/female twins that were given up for adoption.  They were born to my mother in law in Madison Wisconsin, in October 1962.  She says they were adopted together.  The adoption was closed and went through social services.  The information I have is very limited.  The birth parents were listed on the birth certificates as Jean Dial and Gant Golliday.  The doctors name was Olsen. 

That is really all I know, and it just seems like an impossible search to me.  But I am trying for her regardless.  If any of this information sounds familiar, please contact me.   

Thank you and God bless all of you and your searches. 

Nanette 

November 14, 2005, 1:22 pm CST

I was adopted

I don't understand why everyone is threatened by their original families, that there must be something wrong or shameful about them.  This also applies to the adoptive families; you agreed to raise and care for and love the children that you adopted - but you don't own them or their affections.  There are things that no amount of love and acceptance can fill in them.  10% (and I haven't verified this claim) of adopted children may only look for their original families, but there are so many emotions and stigmas involved in it that I am not surprised.  They may feel that they are betraying their adoptive families or may feel anger at the person who "gave them up" or may be in denial about needing to know where they came from.  Of course, there may be people that are perfectly happy with how their lives turned out.  But don't underestimate the impact of expectations on a child or that their need to have biological roots. 

November 15, 2005, 9:47 pm CST

Not sure where to turn.

Hello to all.  I was given up at birth in July of 1966 in Ohio.  My birth certificate says in Richland County, Mansfield, Ohio.  Not sure what I can do to obtain the records from my birth.  I have searched several adoption registries and most state that I was born in a year that the records are sealed for Ohio..  Among a few other reasons to find my birth parents, there is one reason more important which is a medical issue.  My 14 year old daughter is losing her hearing and her father and I are both adopted and know nothing of our medical background.  My daughter has been diagnosed with Enlarged Vestibular Aquaduct Syndrome and all the research online that I have done has concluded only one thing it's either caused by a birth defect or it's heriditary and she may be faced with permenant loss at some point in her life.  So I am faced with trying to find out my medical background and if anyone on my side has this syndrome.  If anyone can shed any light on this as to where I can go or where I need to inquire in the State of Ohio I would be forever greatful.  Thank you for reading and taking the time to respond if you choose to do so. 

November 17, 2005, 2:36 pm CST

TX ADOPTEE NEEDS INSIGHT!!

I was adopted 1960 ----houston TX. This was done through Catholic Charities. I have 3 adopted siblings I was raised with--I am the oldest. When searching-TX birth indexes--I found siblings birth book entries in the years of their births. Under their adopted name. So far I have found nothing in 1960 with the birth cert number on amended cert. Does this mean I was adopted twice--name changed-----????what exactly> Thanks to anyone that can help Thanks

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last