Message Boards

Topic : Searching for Birth Parents

Number of Replies: 1017
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:25:10 pm
Author : dataimport

Are you adopted? Have you met your birth parents, or is searching for them important to you? Share your story.

NOTE: Please do not post personal info such as home address and phone numbers, for your safety such info will be removed.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 29, 2005, 4:42 pm CDT

here are some other ways to find his parents

Quote From: mercedes

It's me again..I would like to share more information that  I miss in my previous post. My husband was born in San Francisco, Ca. at the San Francis Memorial Hospital in May 04, 1967, His biological mother was 16 at the time of birth,  her last name is Ely and she was from Massachussets, his biolgical father was 18 and last name is Alvarez.  My husband was adopted together with another babygirl, they were told that they were twins, but they are no blood related, she was born in June.  

I have heard that are people called ANGELS who help adoptees to find their relatives....Does anyone could advise me in how to find a reliable source to search for my husband family?...How do I find and ANGEL?...I wish to help my husband to meet his bmother some day. Thank you Dr. Phil. 

My name is Barb and I have given up a child.  When I tried to find her by the name I gave her at birth, the records said there was no such person.  That meant I had hit a dead end.  What I didn't know until last year was that there was no dead end.  If they can't find your child, that means that he was adopted!  I didn't know that until my daughter found me.   Last year my 37 year old daughter's social worker found me by looking on www.Switchboard.com!  That is a good place to find people who are apparently lost, as she thought I was lost.  It turned out that Beth's adoptive parents had changed her name (or someone had) before her adoption.  She wasn't the Lisa Anne I had given up.  She was now Beth Sharolyn (Last name deleted).  She says she has no idea who named her, but she does have an aunt with the name of Sharolyn.   Anyway, Beth's social worker found me by looking up my mother on Switchboard.com.  Mom was still in Texas at the time (Beth was adopted in Virginia).  The social worker got in touch with Mom, and she got in touch with me.  It took almost 3 months before Beth and I were allowed to talk to each other, but, believe me, it was well worth the wait!   When Beth and I were finally able to talk, both of us were laughing and crying.  We had both wanted to finally meet for sooooooo long.  Thirty-seven years is a long time to wait to hug your "baby".  Beth is about 100 pounds larger than I am (I'm not skinny either), but hugging her and giving her kisses was the best day of my whole life!  We stay in touch with each other and she is going to get to see her Grandma in Texas the first of next year.   Hon, don't give up.  You WILL find his parents when God decides it is exactly right for both of you.  Not until then.  All I can say is, just keep looking.  They are  out there somewhere and probably looking for your husband, too.  Sign up at every adoption site you can find!  (There are lots of them on the internet....use them all!)  Turns out Beth and I had both signed up at several adoption sites, but I didn't know her name.  Duh!  

September 30, 2005, 11:10 am CDT

Searching for my birth Sister

I am searching for my birth sister. I was told when I was 13 years old that my mother had given a child up. I have tried since I was 18 to find her. My mother is not very giving on details. She does not want me to find her, she is against it. I guess when my sister turned 18 she had contacted us to talk to us but my mother sent her away. The only information I have gotten out of her is that she was born the early part of May in 1972. I think it is either the 3rd or the fifth. I know she was born in a women's hospital in Penn. My mom did not register under her own name is registered under Leslie Koskovics. That is all the information I have come up with. I would love to meet her, and let her know she does have biological family that cares about her.  

October 1, 2005, 11:15 am CDT

finding my PARENTS

i was born pattie a elliot? i think. was adopted as gahan. i now that. was was born in dayton ohio. montgomery county. was adopted in louisville ky. in1965. through catholic charities. thats pretty much all i know, have 2 sisters, 1 bother. i am second oldest. . want to find my family really bad. always have. i feel lost. i don"t belong anywhere. my adopted parent. we have a hard time with eachother. just talking. its sad. and it hurts.

October 2, 2005, 12:10 pm CDT

JONIE LEE

JONIE LEE BRADY; ia m looking for you. you were born MARCH 1978- louisville, KY.  i am your mom. whos been looking for a long while. i just want to know how you are. THAT  I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED YOU VERY MUCH, AND MISS YOU SO BAD, ITS PAINFULL. YOUR MOMMA LOVES YOU, IF YOUR MAD I UNDERSTAND. PLEASE COME BACK INTO MY LIFE. IF GOD WILL ALLOW. please get intouch somehow. . the pain never leaves my heart and soul.

October 2, 2005, 12:16 pm CDT

JONIE LEE

Quote From: blessings

JONIE LEE BRADY; ia m looking for you. you were born MARCH 1978- louisville, KY.  i am your mom. whos been looking for a long while. i just want to know how you are. THAT  I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED YOU VERY MUCH, AND MISS YOU SO BAD, ITS PAINFULL. YOUR MOMMA LOVES YOU, IF YOUR MAD I UNDERSTAND. PLEASE COME BACK INTO MY LIFE. IF GOD WILL ALLOW. please get intouch somehow. . the pain never leaves my heart and soul.
you were born under my adopted mothers married name. my adopted name was GAHAN. . just wanted to let you know. JONIE LEE just to let you know if your out there, i am looking for my real mom too!

October 2, 2005, 9:25 pm CDT

Searching for Birth Parents

Quote From: 062979

Hi to everyone.  

I am a 26 year old woman.  I was born in Calgary, AB Canada.  June 29 1979 in the General Hospital.  My name at birth was Sandra Campbell.  I just recently found out that both my siter and I were adopted at birth.  I was adopted a month after I was born!!! WOW what a shocker that was, I must say. Also its said that my sister and I came from different families..yet another shocker to add to the story!!!  Im still having a bit of a hard time coping with the whole thing.  My parents never ever mentioned a thing about us being adopted ever.  It was some other family members of ours that told us about a year ago.  I still have not talked with my parents about this yet.  I really dont know how to go about all of this.  I dont ever want to hurt them, they have did a great job of rasing us and caring for us. I have recieved a bit of information on my adoption and on my birth parents.  I would love to find them and maybe eventually meet in the future.  

I have a daughter that we adopted at 4 weeks old and we always told her that she was adopted and we showed pictures of the happy day that we brought her home to be with our family.  I am sure that it is a big shock to find out in your 20's that you are adopted but I'm sure that that saved you from a lot of identity issues and other issues like rejection, earlier on.  Read Art Linkletter's autobiography, he was adopted and not told till he was an adult and thought it was the best way to go for the children's sake.  Also you definitely should talk to your parents ASAP.  If they love you and are secure in your love they will want to talk about it now that you know.  Good luck and don't let this come between you and your parents.  My daughter found her birth mother, with my blessings and encouragement, thru Catholic Charilties, the adoption agency, and they had a successful reunion.  The reunion gave my daughter a lot of peace and it made our bond closer and I had no negative reactions to the reunion.

October 5, 2005, 12:26 am CDT

Alberta, Canada Search Inof

Quote From: 062979

Hi to everyone.  

I am a 26 year old woman.  I was born in Calgary, AB Canada.  June 29 1979 in the General Hospital.  My name at birth was Sandra Campbell.  I just recently found out that both my siter and I were adopted at birth.  I was adopted a month after I was born!!! WOW what a shocker that was, I must say. Also its said that my sister and I came from different families..yet another shocker to add to the story!!!  Im still having a bit of a hard time coping with the whole thing.  My parents never ever mentioned a thing about us being adopted ever.  It was some other family members of ours that told us about a year ago.  I still have not talked with my parents about this yet.  I really dont know how to go about all of this.  I dont ever want to hurt them, they have did a great job of rasing us and caring for us. I have recieved a bit of information on my adoption and on my birth parents.  I would love to find them and maybe eventually meet in the future.  

As of November 1, 2004 Adoptees ( age 18 years and older ) and their parents who surrendered are able to obtain identifying information on one another unless a contact veto is in place. 

Upon age 18 Adoptees can request information on their natural parents. Parents who have surrendered may only request information once the adopted adult is 6 months past their 18th birthday. This gives the adoptee time to consider their search.  

Identifying information may consist of names, addresses and/or dates of birth as they appear on the original records. Non identifying information will also be released, which may consist of apperances, and medical history.  

For more information go to www.gov.ab.ca/adoptionrecords or call 310-4455

http://www.originscanada.org/ 

Origins Canada is a support and advocacy group for people separated from family members by adoption, including natural mothers ( first mothers, exiled mothers ) and fathers, natural relatives, and adopted persons. We are calling for justice and an inquiry into illegal and unethical adoption practices in Canada: practices which violated our basic human rights.  

http://www.moriartey.ca/jim/ 

http://www.geocities.com/familytiescanada/index.html 

The Creator of the original Family Ties, KC has found a wonderful Canadian Adoptee willing to seek out helpful information to assist other Canadian searchers. While Karen gets the information, I will provide the web site work.. Together we hope to offer searching adoptees and natural parents a wide range of assistance both in the United States and Canada 

http://www.canadianadopteesregistry.org/index.html 

http://www.cyndislist.com/gencan.htm 

Forget Me Not Society - 604-541-2512 E-mail: katosan@telus.net Works to promote knowledge, understanding, and healing around the lifelong process of adoption. Provides individual and group support for birth parents, adoptees, and adoptive parents; and educational programs for anyone interested in adoption and reunion issues. Holds monthly support groups. Publishes the newsletter 'Adoption Circles' 

Best of luck to you in your search!! 

October 5, 2005, 12:35 am CDT

Tennessee

Quote From: connier

My name is Connie and I'm now 42.  I've known my entire life that I was adopted, but never gave it much thought.  I had wonderful parents.  They are now gone and I find myself wondering if I should try and locate my birth famiy.  My adoption took place in TN.  I've been told that my records should be easy to access, but I am not sure.

I also don't know that I want to actually meet them.  I would really like to have medical information.  Do I have to meet them to obtain medical information or could the state act as an intermediary and get the info for me?

Thanks for any help.

Connie
TENNESSEE

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 18 or older, adoptive parents, stepparents or legal parents of an adopted adult, birth parents, birth siblings, and direct descendants of adopted adults may obtain non-identifying information. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: If an adoption was finalized before March 16, 1951, adopted adults age 21 or older, birth parents, adoptive parents, stepparents or legal parents, and birth siblings age 21 or older can receive a copy of the adoption records, which includes the original birth certificate. If an adoption was finalized after March 16, 1951, adopted adults age 21 or older, birth parents, adoptive parents, step or legal parents, birth siblings age 21 or older can receive a copy of the adoption records, which includes the original birth certificate. They shall not contact or attempt to contact in any manner any of the persons eligible to file a contact veto. A Contact Veto Registry has been established by the Department of Children's Services for the purpose of permitting registration of the willingness or unwillingness for contact with persons who seek contact with them. All parties must go through this registry before contacting the subject of the search. 

Department of Children's Services
Post Adoption Unit
436 6th Avenue, NW
8th Floor, Cordell Hull Building
Nashville, Tennessee 37243-1290
(615)532-5637
http://www.state.tn.us/youth/adoption/accessto.htm 

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: See provisions above under Obtaining Identifying Information. 

National Adoption Information Clearinghouse 

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/9073/openrecords.html 

Best of luck to you!! 

October 5, 2005, 12:42 am CDT

North Carolina

Quote From: teejay77

Are there any NC search angels out there?  I was adopted by wonderful adoptive parents in North Carolina, but my "identity" has always puzzled me.  I was always felt odd when I was with extended family since they all resembled each other and I was the odd one out.  Now I've had a child who looks like me, and it's just amazing!  I'm on a number of registries online, but I'm skeptical of course.  I don't really know where to begin with finding my birth parents without making my adoptive parents feel less than great parents.  I don't have much information to go by except my date of birth and possibly my foster mother's name.  Any suggestions???
NORTH CAROLINA

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 21 or older, adoptive parents, or legal guardians may obtain non-identifying information. Birth parents or birth relative(s) may submit information about a health or genetic condition that may affect the adopted adult, and the appropriate employee shall make an effort to contact the adopted adult age 18 or older or the adoptive parents of an adoptee under 18. If the name of the agency involved in the adoption is unknown, parties can contact the North Carolina State Division of Social Services, 325 North Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC, 27603 to obtain the name of the agency. 

In order to obtain identifying information or a copy of the original birth certificate, a person must petition the courts, and be approved. 

http://www.aci.net/schaefer/page96.html 

Best of luck to you!! 

October 5, 2005, 12:55 am CDT

Missouri

Quote From: malpal1127

My name is Mallory. I live with my parents, Margret and Steve.  I am 19 years old. I was told i was adopted when i was little. Ever since then I've wondered about my family. This year when I turned 19 I was told I had two sisters by the names od Chrissy and Barbie.  My reaction was to start crying.  

I don't know what to think when it comes to my biological family. My parents told me that Lisa, my biological mother, was very abusive to me and my sisters when we lived with her. So naturally the feelings that come when the subject is on her aren't the greatest. But there are times when i find myself thinking of her and wanting to hear the whole story striaght from Lisa.   

There are times when I want so bad to find my biological familey that I would do anything.  The only thing stopping me is that i don't have a clue as to how to find them.  I don't have any last names. All I know is that my parents adopted me through Charter... in Saint Louis.  

I don't really feel comfortable asking my parents about my biological family because i feel like it upsets them. And I don't mean to because I'm greatful for where I am today and I love them very much... b ut at the same time I would like to meet Lisa and my sisters, Chrissy and Barbie.  

If anyone has any information as to hwo I could find them... please let me know. 

Mallory 

MISSOURI

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adoptive parents and adopted adults may obtain non-identifying information. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: An adopted adult can request information regarding the birth parents and the agency will contact the birth parents for consent to release the information. If the adoption was finalized prior to August 13, 1986, the adoptive parents must be notified first, and a search will only be conducted if the adoptive parents agree. If the adoptive parents do not consent, no information will be released and the birth parents will not be contacted.  

Using the Adoption Registry: Adopted adults age 21 or older and birth parents may register. Adoptive parents must consent to the release of identifying information on adoptions completed prior to August 13, 1986. 

Missouri Division of Family Services
Adoption Information Registry
P.O. Box 88
Jefferson City, MO 65103
(800) 554-2222
http://www.dss.state.mo.us/dfs/adoir.htm
Please mark the letter "Confidential." 

You must petition the court where the adoption was finalized, and be approved,  in order to obtain a copy of the original birth certificate. 

Best of luck to you!! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last