Message Boards

Topic : Searching for Birth Parents

Number of Replies: 1017
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:25:10 pm
Author : dataimport

Are you adopted? Have you met your birth parents, or is searching for them important to you? Share your story.

NOTE: Please do not post personal info such as home address and phone numbers, for your safety such info will be removed.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 5, 2005, 1:06 am CDT

California

Quote From: mercedes

It's me again..I would like to share more information that  I miss in my previous post. My husband was born in San Francisco, Ca. at the San Francis Memorial Hospital in May 04, 1967, His biological mother was 16 at the time of birth,  her last name is Ely and she was from Massachussets, his biolgical father was 18 and last name is Alvarez.  My husband was adopted together with another babygirl, they were told that they were twins, but they are no blood related, she was born in June.  

I have heard that are people called ANGELS who help adoptees to find their relatives....Does anyone could advise me in how to find a reliable source to search for my husband family?...How do I find and ANGEL?...I wish to help my husband to meet his bmother some day. Thank you Dr. Phil. 

CALIFORNIA

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 18 or older and adoptive parents of adoptees younger than 18 may request non-identifying information from the adoption agency or from the government department that joined in the adoption petition. If the request is denied, the party seeking information may petition the court in which the adoption was finalized. Parents who have surrendered can receive information on the status of the adoption and the adoptive parents at time of placement. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: If the adoption was finalized on or after January 1, 1984, the adopted adult age 18 or older can receive information on the parents who surrendered if they have given written consent to the disclosure. Parents who have surrendered can receive information on an adopted adult age 21 or older if the adopted adult has given written consent to disclosure. Disclosures are filed with the adoption agency or the government agency that joined in the adoption petition. Adoptive parents of a person younger than 21 can receive information on the parents who surrendered if there is a medical necessity or other extraordinary circumstances that justify the disclosure according to the State Department of Social Services or licensed adoption agency. If the adoption was finalized before January 1, 1984, with consent of both requesting parties, the agency shall arrange contact between the biological parents and adopted adult. The agency shall release the names and addresses of birth siblings age 21 or older to one another if the birth siblings have filed consent. 

Using the Adoption Registry: Adopted adults age 18 or older and parents who have surrendered an adopted adult may register. Siblings age 21 or older may register to meet a sibling 21 or older who was adopted.  

California Department of Social Services
Adoption Branch
744 P Street, MS 19-31
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 322-3778
http://www.childsworld.ca.gov 

Providing Information: The Department or licensed agency shall release any letters, photographs, or other items of personal property in its possession to an adopted adult age 18 or older, parents who surrendered, or adoptive parents of an adoptee under 18 upon written request. Identifying information will be deleted.  

National Adoption Information Clearinghouse 

One must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized to obtain a copy of the original birth certificate. 

http://www.geocities.com/californiaadoptees/index.htm 

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/9606/states/CAopen.html 

http://www.geocities.com/capitolhill/9606/states/california.html 

Best of luck to you!! 

October 5, 2005, 1:20 am CDT

Illinois

Quote From: scrapbearz

Hello!  

I am currently starting a search with the Children's Home and Aid Society of Illinois for my biological parents.  I was told about my adoption when I was in 2nd grade.  I've been wondering about my biological parents for many years now (I am currently 34 years old).  I've finally gotten the courage up to search for them.  I do not know whatwho I will find but I would like to know where I came from.  Here is the information I currently have:  

Born: 01-24-1971  

Hospital: St. Luke's in Chicago  

Birth Name: Biological Mother wanted to name me Norma Christine.  I have not seen my original    

birth certificate so I do not know what is on there.  

If you know of anyone who can help, I would greatly apprciate it.  

Wendy  

ILLINOIS

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: For private adoptions, an adopted adult may obtain non-identifying information. For adoptions facilitated through the State Department of Child and Family Services, adopted adults, birth parents, and adoptive parents may receive non-identifying information. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: Identifying information is provided through an Adoption Registry. 

Using a confidential intermediary: Adopted adults 18 or older and adoptive parents of an adoptee younger than 18 may use the confidential intermediary service. 

Confidential Intermediary Service
3158 Des Plaines River Road
Suite 120
Des Plaines, IL 60018
(847) 298-9096; (847) 298-9097
(847) 298-9097 (fax) 

Using the Adoption Registry: Birth parents, adopted adults 21 or older, adopted adults younger than 21 with the consent of their adoptive parents, and birth siblings 21 or older may use the registry. Adoptive parents, adopted adults, birth parents, and birth siblings may exchange updated medical information throughout the life of the adopted adult. The registry also may act as an intermediary if either party does not want to be contacted. All parties also may exchange pictures and written statements through the registry. 

Illinois Adoption Registry and Medical Information Exchange (IARMIE)
Department of Public Health
Division of Vital Records
535 West Jefferson Street
Springfield, IL 62761
(217) 557-5159 or toll-free in Illinois (877) 323-5299
http://www.idph.state.il.us/vital/iladoptreg.htm 

The original birth certificate may be obtained through the registry or by petitioning the court in which the adoption was finalized, and being approved to receive it. 

***IMPORTANT PLEASE READ*** 

As of Jan 1, 2004 not only will adult adopted persons, and adopted parents on behalf of minor adopted children, be able to petition the court, but also adult children of a deceased adopted person, adult siblings of a adopted person if the birthparent is deceased , birth parents, and adult siblings of a deceased birth parent (otherwise aunts & uncles of the adopted person). All of these people will now be able to register with the Illinois Adoption Registry for a match or will be able to petition the court for appointment of a CI. As of July 2003 there is no longer a court petition fee but the service still remains. And Judges no longer can deny a petition as it is part of the law.  

http://www.idph.state.il.us/vitalrecords/adoptioninfo.htm 

http://www.aborn.faithweb.com/State/Answered/Illinois/AbornsILData.html 

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/QuadStatesLostAngelsInAdoption/ 

Best of luck to you!! 

October 5, 2005, 3:05 am CDT

New York

Quote From: sam031

My name is Samantha Adams/O'Connell....I was adopted at 15 months of age from Salvation Army  Foster Care Services in Manhattan NY......I am currently searching for my B-mom and will eventually look for my son who I gave up for adoption in 1983....Seems to run in the family....I was told that my name at time of birth was carlsen.... and that my mother was 19 years old when she had me. Also told that she was norweigen, and had red hair......My father was supposedly of  cuban decent.....I don't know much else, If someone can help I would greatly appreciate it....
  NEW YORK

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 18 or older may receive information through the Adoption Registry. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: Identifying information is provided through the registry. 

Using the Adoption Registry: Adopted adults age 18 or older, born and adopted in New York, birth siblings, or birth parents may register to allow release of identifying information to one another. A sub-registry with just medical information and non-identifying information has been established for adopted adults age 18 or older, adopted adults under 18 with consent from adoptive parents, and birth parents. Each agency has a registry for adopted adults age 18 or older and birth parents to receive identifying information.  

Adoption and Medical Information Registry
Department of Health
Public Health Representative
Corning Tower, Room 208
Albany, NY 12237
(518) 474-9600
http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/consumer/vr.htm  

You must petition the court to obtain your original birth certificate. 

Best of luck to you!! 

October 5, 2005, 3:15 am CDT

Pennsylvania

Quote From: reedth3brs

I am searching for my birth sister. I was told when I was 13 years old that my mother had given a child up. I have tried since I was 18 to find her. My mother is not very giving on details. She does not want me to find her, she is against it. I guess when my sister turned 18 she had contacted us to talk to us but my mother sent her away. The only information I have gotten out of her is that she was born the early part of May in 1972. I think it is either the 3rd or the fifth. I know she was born in a women's hospital in Penn. My mom did not register under her own name is registered under Leslie Koskovics. That is all the information I have come up with. I would love to meet her, and let her know she does have biological family that cares about her.  

PENNSYLVANIA

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 18 or older or adoptive parents of an adoptee under 18 may obtain non-identifying information by petitioning the court 

Obtaining Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 18 or older or adoptive parents of an adopted adult under 18 may petition the court to receive information. The court will then contact the birth parents for the consent. In addition to petitioning the court, an adopted adult may request the agency to contact the birth parents. 

Using the Adoption Registry: The following persons may use the registry, which is for medical histories only: birth parents, adopted adults and adoptive parents of an adoptee under 21. 

Jewell McCliment
Adoption Medical History Registry
Hillcrest, Second Floor
PO Box 2675
Harrisburg, PA 17105-2675
(717) 772-7015
(800) 227-0225
jmccliment@state.pa.us
http://www.adoptpakids.org/paemedicalhist.asp  

Karen Lollo
Adoption Medical History Registry
Hillcrest, Second Floor
PO Box 2675
Harrisburg, PA 17105-2675
(717) 772-7015
(800) 227-0225
klollo@state.pa.us
http://www.adoptpakids.org/paemedicalhist.asp  

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: Adopted adults can receive the information on the certificate if the birth parents file consent. 

Providing Information: At any time after finalization, birth parents may consent to the release of the adopted adult's records and identifying information. 

http://members.tripod.com/~rombergers/main.html 

http://www.genlookups.com/pa.htm 

Best of luck to you!! 

October 5, 2005, 3:19 am CDT

kentucky

Quote From: blessings

i was born pattie a elliot? i think. was adopted as gahan. i now that. was was born in dayton ohio. montgomery county. was adopted in louisville ky. in1965. through catholic charities. thats pretty much all i know, have 2 sisters, 1 bother. i am second oldest. . want to find my family really bad. always have. i feel lost. i don"t belong anywhere. my adopted parent. we have a hard time with eachother. just talking. its sad. and it hurts.
KENTUCKY

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Non-identifying information is available to adopted adults and adoptive parents of a minor. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 21 or older can petition the court to initiate a search for the birth parents. If the Department is unable to locate the birth parents, the court may or may not open the records. Pre-adoptive birth siblings may search for each other through the Department if they are over the age of 18. Birth parents can file consent for the release of identifying information.  

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: An adoptee must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized. 

Providing Information: Birth parents or birth siblings can request that information be given to an adopted adult or adoptive parents of a minor about medical or genetic conditions that may affect the physical or mental health of the adopted adult. 

Best of luck to you!! 

October 5, 2005, 3:19 am CDT

forgot something...

Quote From: tigger6367

KENTUCKY

Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Non-identifying information is available to adopted adults and adoptive parents of a minor. 

Obtaining Identifying Information: Adopted adults age 21 or older can petition the court to initiate a search for the birth parents. If the Department is unable to locate the birth parents, the court may or may not open the records. Pre-adoptive birth siblings may search for each other through the Department if they are over the age of 18. Birth parents can file consent for the release of identifying information.  

Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: An adoptee must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized. 

Providing Information: Birth parents or birth siblings can request that information be given to an adopted adult or adoptive parents of a minor about medical or genetic conditions that may affect the physical or mental health of the adopted adult. 

Best of luck to you!! 

http://www.kyadoptions.com/ 

http://www.kyadoptions.com/NonIDRequestForm.htm 

Sorry about that.... 

Cheryl 

October 7, 2005, 1:17 pm CDT

Searching for Birth Parents

Reading this message board is making me sad.  I have been searching for my birth parents for a few years now.  I discovered my birth father is dead, he died in another province and I can not even find out how or when he died.  the agency has his name and information, but they can not share it with me.  The same goes with my birth mother, they have her name, but they can not find her, I believe they simply are not looking hard enough, nor do they care to put the slightest amount of effort into searching.   

Seeing all these people who are searching just reminds me how I am not alone in my frustration and longing.   

October 12, 2005, 10:53 am CDT

my mom an dad

Quote From: tigger6367

KENTUCKY

Best of luck to you!! 

i am looking for any family member, i know my sisters and my bother, no luck there. i want to know my parents, they don"t.

October 12, 2005, 6:58 pm CDT

Don't be Sad!!!

Quote From: tam_116

Reading this message board is making me sad.  I have been searching for my birth parents for a few years now.  I discovered my birth father is dead, he died in another province and I can not even find out how or when he died.  the agency has his name and information, but they can not share it with me.  The same goes with my birth mother, they have her name, but they can not find her, I believe they simply are not looking hard enough, nor do they care to put the slightest amount of effort into searching.   

Seeing all these people who are searching just reminds me how I am not alone in my frustration and longing.   

Hi my name is Julie, I too was adopted and I have searched for my mother.  I live in Australia so the rules here are very different, I was extremely lucky and have found her and we now have a great relationship.  I haven't found my father and have only recently found out his name and have been given permission to find him.  Please don't give up hope.  I have had friends who have had similar situations as yours but any information any of us find out about where we come from is a piece of our own unique puzzle.  I found that my mother was from another country and I now have medical history, a cousin, an aunt, a sister and a grandmother and I can tell you that it does make a difference in my life.  I have two children who now have a grandmother and that is special.  If you can find out your mothers name try every agency you can to find her.  There are internet based searches and many many organisations all over the world......try them all if you have to. I wish you all the luck in the world and let me know if you succeed.  Take Care!!!  Juliexx 

October 12, 2005, 6:58 pm CDT

Don't be Sad!!!

Quote From: tam_116

Hi my name is Julie, I too was adopted and I have searched for my mother.  I live in Australia so the rules here are very different, I was extremely lucky and have found her and we now have a great relationship.  I haven't found my father and have only recently found out his name and have been given permission to find him.  Please don't give up hope.  I have had friends who have had similar situations as yours but any information any of us find out about where we come from is a piece of our own unique puzzle.  I found that my mother was from another country and I now have medical history, a cousin, an aunt, a sister and a grandmother and I can tell you that it does make a difference in my life.  I have two children who now have a grandmother and that is special.  If you can find out your mothers name try every agency you can to find her.  There are internet based searches and many many organisations all over the world......try them all if you have to. I wish you all the luck in the world and let me know if you succeed.  Take Care!!!  Juliexx 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last