Message Boards

Topic : Anorexia

Number of Replies: 1384
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:31:18 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you or is someone you love systematically starving themselves? Anorexia is a serious condition that needs immediate treatment. Share your story here.

Eating Disorder Resources

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 14, 2008, 1:07 pm CDT

Anorexia

Quote From: trishab1234

Hi my name is Trisha and I am 21 years old with a great husband and two wonderful kids but I have been suffering with anorexia since I was 14 years old and for the past 4 years I was fine with no eating disorder and happy with myself.  In the past two weeks I have stopped eating and started abusing laxatives and lost 12 pounds, my height is 5'6 weight now is 142 and i am able to lie to my family about my weight loss because I tell them I am sick or I will eat later.  Buy I have a 2 little girls who need their mother and I know if I do not stop i will probably die.  

My question to anyone who will answer is should I tell my husband about my eating disorder or continue to live in silent shame waiting for him  to figure it out on his own.

Please no judgmental comments I know what I am doing is wrong that is why I am asking for help.

HI, I am in the same boat as you. I have been there too. I am 24 and have had anorexia since I was 16. My Husband doesn't know, and only one of my friends do. My husband knows that I used to struggle with it but doesn't know that it is still a big part of my life.  None of my family know. I too have a daughter and am struggling with the same question you are. Do I tell or not tell....I do not know how to answer your question. This is something that you have to look into your heart for. I have thought on many occasions about telling him. but then I never do. I fear that he will constantly be on "watch". I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!

May 28, 2008, 11:36 am CDT

anorexic

My name is Becca. I was suffering from bulumia up until march/april of this year (for 4 years at least). My stepdad found out, and he put me through therapy for about a month. Well AS soon as i quit therapy, i started not eating for days at a time. Now, if I still eat too much at once I'll still throw it up. But thats not often anymore. most of the time I will eat a nutri-grain bar or some peanuts once a day and that will be it for the next day or 2. Its like I went from one extreme to another and can't stop. Everytime my parents ask how i'm doing i say fine, even though it's obvious i'm not gaining enough weight. When i started therapy i weighted 92 lbs, now i weigh 98 and feel HUGE. At the time this started, i was reading all the celebrity magazines and watching all the shows. i don't now though. i got the idea in my head that i wanted to look like one of the super skinny models. don't get me wrong, some days i wake up and look at myself in the mirror and say damn you look skinny. but then other days i feel so gross and fat. i can't figure out what to do anymore. any help or advice would be greatly appriciated right now. i've tried telling my boyfriend about this, but his philosophy is eat more you won't be like that. I do work out 4 days a week doing "power yoga" and pilates 2 times a day, plus 25 mins on the tredmill 3 days a week and an ab lounger 30 mins 3 days a  week. i weigh 98lbs and am a size 0 jeans/shorts, or girls size 12/14 depending on the length. im tired of being like this. i know its not healthy and i'm getting near the point of wanting to have kids, but know i can't w/o being healthy. please help.

May 30, 2008, 6:42 am CDT

Reach out.

Quote From: becca21

My name is Becca. I was suffering from bulumia up until march/april of this year (for 4 years at least). My stepdad found out, and he put me through therapy for about a month. Well AS soon as i quit therapy, i started not eating for days at a time. Now, if I still eat too much at once I'll still throw it up. But thats not often anymore. most of the time I will eat a nutri-grain bar or some peanuts once a day and that will be it for the next day or 2. Its like I went from one extreme to another and can't stop. Everytime my parents ask how i'm doing i say fine, even though it's obvious i'm not gaining enough weight. When i started therapy i weighted 92 lbs, now i weigh 98 and feel HUGE. At the time this started, i was reading all the celebrity magazines and watching all the shows. i don't now though. i got the idea in my head that i wanted to look like one of the super skinny models. don't get me wrong, some days i wake up and look at myself in the mirror and say damn you look skinny. but then other days i feel so gross and fat. i can't figure out what to do anymore. any help or advice would be greatly appriciated right now. i've tried telling my boyfriend about this, but his philosophy is eat more you won't be like that. I do work out 4 days a week doing "power yoga" and pilates 2 times a day, plus 25 mins on the tredmill 3 days a week and an ab lounger 30 mins 3 days a  week. i weigh 98lbs and am a size 0 jeans/shorts, or girls size 12/14 depending on the length. im tired of being like this. i know its not healthy and i'm getting near the point of wanting to have kids, but know i can't w/o being healthy. please help.

Hej Becca.

I know, it is much harder than that, but that is my advise for you; reach out. I don't really know about the system, where you live, but I know that most of the time, the help IS there - what often is missing is the courage and take it. I truely believe, that you can recover.

There are no magic solutions, but with patience you can do it. I believe in you. If you can't eat without therapy - then get the therapy. Look - I am suffering from Anorexia Nervosa and I know, that it is much harder than that, but the longer you wait the harder it will get.

I know and i understand, really, how scared you can be for life. But maybe the next time you have a "clear moment" (because i truely think you do have some of those) - then reach out. Talk to your dokter, tell your parents, or like that.

I know it s hard, and i wish that I could just do magic to make it easyer, but i can't. I can only hope for you, that you will reach out for the help, that you need.

June 11, 2008, 12:35 pm CDT

Survivor of Anorexia

I am sitting here watching the show about anorexia. My heart goes out to Jessica. I am a survivor of anorexia. I lost 100 pounds and my lowest weight was 90 pounds. People who are immersed in anorexia can't see a way out. When immersed in an eating disorder, there doesn't seem to be a possibility of ever living free.

I just want to express to Jessica, and any others struggling with eating disorders, that it is possible and I am living proof of this. I was so malnourished my heart stopped and doctors said I would not survive. But it is possible. I am a healthy, 32 year old single mother who survived nearly 10 years of anorexia. There is hope.
Shera

June 11, 2008, 4:32 pm CDT

What do you think?

OK so when i was like 13, 14 and 15 I struggled with anorexia and after my parents moved me to a children's home in Idaho, i watched them force feed a girl who refused to eat, so i maintained a weight and eating habits that would please the people i was around. I left there after graduation and moved to WA with my boy friend, i would have gone head first back into my non-eating lifestyle except i got prego... After my 1st son was born i adapted to this life of over eating and not doing any sort of exercise because i was afraid of becoming the person i had learned to control. I am almost 25 now and have had a second son 9 months ago. I am over weight and HATE the way i look and feel, but on the other had everything in my head when i think about losing weight is so OVER EXTREME and i know unhealthy. I also just got out of rehab for drug abuse. Meth mostly. I actually was trying to use it to loose weight and it got out of control.  Now i just feel disgusting, I want to know if anorexia and drug abuse are linked? how to find the healthy in loosing weight cause i am so afraid of becoming this obsessed person i don't want to be. Please Help

-TIRED OF THE JUNK IN MY TRUNK!-

June 13, 2008, 4:07 pm CDT

another sad story

I am another person who has been affected by anorexia and I still suffer from it to this day... it would probably still be a probably but my panic disorder takes up my whole life ... just trying to get through anything has become a huge problem... I cant even function... I don't know if panic disorders are linked to anorexia or from lack of nutrients ... but I blame my anorexia for my panic and now my life is so limited i cant go to school or go out with friends... my life is doctors and medication and panicking... so to any girls out there... if you are even someone anorexic... you need to talk to someone about it and find a way to make yourself able to eat normally and not think and obsess about food...

June 17, 2008, 10:24 am CDT

It happens

hello everyone. firs of all excuus my bad engish sometimes but i am from holland. when i was 12 i had anorexia for a few years. i was born with PDD-NOS what stands for Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified in the words im awtistic. i was always trouble at the table and never wanted to eat. since this was going on i never enjoyed food. im doing much better now. im 25 years of age and i have my food under control. i live on my own i have a job as systemadministrator and i drive my own car. but it is so hard to gain waigth. last check was yesterday and i was 65 kilo what is about 143 pond. i am 6 foot 5 so i am a tall man but very skiny. i can eat all the food i want from a healthy meal till a macdonalds but i stay at the same level. i ran out of ideas to get more waigth. i want atleast another 20 kilo but it is really hard. if anyone has a idea please let me know.

Thanks.. Willem

June 18, 2008, 3:49 pm CDT

Going from 236 to 90+ lbs - with gastric bypass surgery

My daughter has an eating disorder - not according to her - but her weight escalated to 236 before having gastric bypass surgery January 2004. She never had any problems with the surgery and enjoyed a healthy weight for a couple years. Last year her weight started dropping to a frightening level and at the present time might weigh 90 pounds. She is having a hard time even eating and keeping it down. She is having an upper/lower GI on Friday to guarantee there is no medical problem. Trying to find resources on a situation like she is dealing with has been impossible. Books, the internet all deal with either obesity or anorexia. I feel certain she is not the only person out there dealing with this dangerous situation. She is kinda inbetween worlds on this. Thought maybe somebody out there might know of somebody who went through a similar experience.

June 18, 2008, 5:21 pm CDT

Anorexia

Quote From: gudtym

My daughter has an eating disorder - not according to her - but her weight escalated to 236 before having gastric bypass surgery January 2004. She never had any problems with the surgery and enjoyed a healthy weight for a couple years. Last year her weight started dropping to a frightening level and at the present time might weigh 90 pounds. She is having a hard time even eating and keeping it down. She is having an upper/lower GI on Friday to guarantee there is no medical problem. Trying to find resources on a situation like she is dealing with has been impossible. Books, the internet all deal with either obesity or anorexia. I feel certain she is not the only person out there dealing with this dangerous situation. She is kinda inbetween worlds on this. Thought maybe somebody out there might know of somebody who went through a similar experience.
Hii there,  I saw  your post and wanted to put in my few words of advice for you.. I understand your daughter, I have been (and still am) severely anorexic.. I was never overweight, I have always as a matter of fact been underweight..but regardless still have been battling this disorder..
-Your daughter, as you can see is in major denial about her condition. (This is normal) You may take her to a therapist to resolve or figure out the reason why this disorder came along.. Normally there is an underlining issue for people with eating disorders.
-Next, although it may seem helpful, the last thing that will help your daughter is you putting a huge plate of food in front of her face and sitting in front of her while she eats..this is very hard for any anorexic and the food can seem almost intimidating to us.
-Lastly, you need to get her into a clinic whether it be inpatient or outpatient. No, she is not going to be happy but if she is not going to take responsibility than you have to..Her life is at risk, and it's up to you to take action. Do not wait for her to get any worse. There is no better time than now.

I hope this helps somewhat.
Best of luck to you and your daughter.

June 22, 2008, 7:45 am CDT

am i crazy?

my name is katie, im 14 years old, love 2 dance, and im anorexic. i have been for almost a year. im 5 ft 3 inches and about a week ago i was at 100 lbs. now am at 96 lbs and still loosing weight. i have tld my friends and they keep telling me its muscle not fat, and that  will loose some muscle instead of fat. but i dont care if it muscle or fati loose, i just want to be skinny. so now they look at me like i am crazy. am i crazy? i dont want to stop being anorexic, i just want to be able to have fun and not worry about my calorie intake at a party. sometimes i feel like im the only one who feels this way.  

First | Prev | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | Next | Last