Message Boards

Topic : Anorexia

Number of Replies: 1384
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:31:18 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you or is someone you love systematically starving themselves? Anorexia is a serious condition that needs immediate treatment. Share your story here.

Eating Disorder Resources

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 21, 2008, 6:52 pm CDT

help.

My name is kate and I am a 15 year old girl in highschool.Before I hit highschool my weight was always important but not that important I was happy with myself.It seemed about 2 years back I actually started feeling upset and I am now a sophomore in highschool and have developed eating disorders.My parents and friends say Im losing weight and say in insane for thinking im fat but I cant look at my body without wanting to cry. . .sometimes I want to hurt myself for my self image.Anorexia is just hitting off but I cant seem to stay not eating for very long so I end up eating and I feel like I want to die when I eat.Im bulimic and aout 80% of what I eat doesnt stay in my.Im not skinny and I dont have a flat tummy, thats what I want though and I know if I dont get help I will do anything to myself to get there.Ive asked my parents to help,begged but they dont see the problem in me.I just want to lose weight, so despratly and I dont know what to do, I dont eat for days then when I try and tell myself I dont care and I do eat I want to die.please help me.I know I dont have a bad case but Im depressed and its only getting worse.

July 30, 2008, 10:06 am CDT

Pregnant with Eating Disorder

I'm currently pregnant with my second child. I've had an eating disorder since I was 14-years old. I'm now 28. For some reason I'm having a hard time getting better. All I think about is my eating disorder, thinness, and not wanting to gain any weight. I've gained some during the pregnancy and I'm 21-weeks, now. I 'm trying hard to stay healthy and eat, but it's hard. I just feel so fat, most of the time. I know I need to eat for the health of my baby. I'm also scared that I'll hit rock bottom with my eating disorder once the baby arrives. Has anyone ever gone through this? Is there any advice out there that could help end this once and for all?

August 8, 2008, 10:59 pm CDT

im anorexic and have 2 children

Quote From: colorfulgirl29

I'm currently pregnant with my second child. I've had an eating disorder since I was 14-years old. I'm now 28. For some reason I'm having a hard time getting better. All I think about is my eating disorder, thinness, and not wanting to gain any weight. I've gained some during the pregnancy and I'm 21-weeks, now. I 'm trying hard to stay healthy and eat, but it's hard. I just feel so fat, most of the time. I know I need to eat for the health of my baby. I'm also scared that I'll hit rock bottom with my eating disorder once the baby arrives. Has anyone ever gone through this? Is there any advice out there that could help end this once and for all?
since the age of 13 until now:age:31...ive been battling with anorexia......
when i was pregnant,i managed the way to eat like any other woman would do....because the important part is YOUR BABY.....its not because WE have problems of the sort that we can hurt our futur children because they had a lack of vitamines ect....ect.....so,during my 2 pregnancys,i was doing fine....yes,i got weight....but i was happy!!!!!!!!! for my child!!!!!!!!!!!! then when i gave birth.....thats when everything started again....i stopped eating.....if i was,i would make myself purge........i lost my weight within 1 month.....and continued to do what i wasint supposed too......its been only 4 months now that i dont purge myself....its so hard........now i have serious health issues because of that! when we suffer of anorexia,we are killing our body slowly but surely....
you,when you give birth well.....loose your weight a little more normally....dont wait to have all kinds of conditions because of your anorexia....your children need their MAMA.....they love you:)

August 16, 2008, 12:06 pm CDT

Thank You and Another Issue I'm Dealing With

Quote From: sheri88

since the age of 13 until now:age:31...ive been battling with anorexia......
when i was pregnant,i managed the way to eat like any other woman would do....because the important part is YOUR BABY.....its not because WE have problems of the sort that we can hurt our futur children because they had a lack of vitamines ect....ect.....so,during my 2 pregnancys,i was doing fine....yes,i got weight....but i was happy!!!!!!!!! for my child!!!!!!!!!!!! then when i gave birth.....thats when everything started again....i stopped eating.....if i was,i would make myself purge........i lost my weight within 1 month.....and continued to do what i wasint supposed too......its been only 4 months now that i dont purge myself....its so hard........now i have serious health issues because of that! when we suffer of anorexia,we are killing our body slowly but surely....
you,when you give birth well.....loose your weight a little more normally....dont wait to have all kinds of conditions because of your anorexia....your children need their MAMA.....they love you:)
Thank you so much for sharing to me that I'm not the only one out there that is struggling through this issue and for the encouraging words. Now I'm battling the urge to purge after meals. It's hard. I wonder why is this going on now? I realized that due to the pregnancy giving me indigestion causes me to feel like purging after meals just to feel better. Of course, I still focus on the health of my baby and my 15-month child, that I am trying hard to stay healthy and eat and not purge after meals. It's been difficult and I'm trying hard as possible to stay healthy. I still feel like I'm going to hit rock bottom after the baby arrives and I'm scared. I know they need their momma. It's been hard dealing with this ED, I don't know what else to do. I feel like I'm getting weaker on trying to fight this disorder. I'm trying hard to keep fighting and move on, but it's so difficult. Anyways, thanks! Take care!

August 21, 2008, 10:41 pm CDT

Anorexia

Thank you so much for sharing to me that I'm not the only one out there that is struggling through this issue and for the encouraging words. Now I'm battling the urge to purge after meals. It's hard. I wonder why is this going on now? I realized that due to the pregnancy giving me indigestion causes me to feel like purging after meals just to feel better. Of course, I still focus on the health of my baby and my 15-month child, that I am trying hard to stay healthy and eat and not purge after meals. It's been difficult and I'm trying hard as possible to stay healthy. I still feel like I'm going to hit rock bottom after the baby arrives and I'm scared. I know they need their momma. It's been hard dealing with this ED, I don't know what else to do. I feel like I'm getting weaker on trying to fight this disorder. I'm trying hard to keep fighting and move on, but it's so difficult. Anyways, thanks! Take care!
 you are not the only one.....and yes there are a lot more than the 2 of us !
you know what....you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! beleive this or not.....you can really make it!
i will leave you my email address....i would love for you to write me back so,we can share more together.....if you want:)    here it is:
jolyann6@yahoo.com
1 day at a time sweety....you can fight this.....ill even do it with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
talk to you soon and keep healthy for you and your lovely children!

August 22, 2008, 8:51 am CDT

Anorexia

no one will ever be perfect....
so why die trying to be.........
(this phrase really helps me.........)

August 26, 2008, 10:33 am CDT

Anorexia

I don't have an eating disorder myself(I'm a total pig when it comes to eating), but I used to have a friend who had. It's quite a struggle though. It has effected me just as much as it did to her. Seeing her getting thinner each week is pretty shocking. In the end we ended up calling her mom about it who didn't even knew.
It only got worse since she began to have signs of suicidal behavior and self-damage. Now I'm that person who wish to learn about the problem before handling with it and I do know how people feel. By understanding her I got her so far that she seriously started to see that she did had a problem and finally seeked professional help.
Keep in mind that there's no such thing as perfect. If you recognize your problem, you should get help immediately. It's something that will effect your whole life though. It will always be difficult to eat, but don't give up!!!

September 11, 2008, 1:43 pm CDT

scared

my wife has had anorexia for a long time even before  i met her she was doing better. but now that she lost her job and has been out of work for two months she is starting lie abouit eating and hurting herself behind my back. we just got married last week. and i told her its time to step it up a notch for looking for a jpb and everytime i bring it up she suddenly acts like im attacking her and starts crying saying that im stressing her out and making her relaps. but i dont get it becouse the only reason she is stressed is becouse she doesnt have a job and so i try to help and make sure she calls the places back becouse she does forget all of a sudden im the one at fault. i dont know what to do.

September 11, 2008, 5:43 pm CDT

Anorexia

Quote From: lep1369

my wife has had anorexia for a long time even before  i met her she was doing better. but now that she lost her job and has been out of work for two months she is starting lie abouit eating and hurting herself behind my back. we just got married last week. and i told her its time to step it up a notch for looking for a jpb and everytime i bring it up she suddenly acts like im attacking her and starts crying saying that im stressing her out and making her relaps. but i dont get it becouse the only reason she is stressed is becouse she doesnt have a job and so i try to help and make sure she calls the places back becouse she does forget all of a sudden im the one at fault. i dont know what to do.

Hi there,

Ok first of all, good on you for supporting and being there for your wife when it sounds like she's having a tough time right now.

I myself have suffered from an eating disorder, and although i have recovered and have maintained a healthy weight for the past two or so years, eating disorders have a way of hanging around in the background for a long, long, long time and can threaten to rear its ugly head years after recovery, usually when you least expect it.  I like to think of the power of the disorder as being on the same level as alcoholism or nicotine addiction - ex drinkers and smokers have to constantly be on guard so as to not fall off the wagon!  I think the key to success in ridding any sort of addiction or obsession is to have mechanisms in place prior to slip ups, as to prevent further descent when relapses do occur.

What type of mechanisms am i talking about? Well firstly, talk to your wife about her disorder.  Ask her how she is feeling, whether she needs help and above all, be supportive and encouraging - be a keen listener.  By bringing up her employment situation, you’re reminding her of her lack of control, her sense of failure and this only triggers her to look to other avenues (i.e. an eating disorder where she can feel in control, a sense of achievement and pride in her weight).  Be encouraging, remind her she's respected, loved and valued to remind her that although her 'career self' may be currently suffering low self esteem, her 'relationship self' is still valued and something to be proud of. 

Hope this helps... btw, time in between jobs can be a fabulous time in a persons’ life to discover hidden talents and passions and to explore new interests.  Why not explore together? Take her out to dinners, see a show, or take up a hobby together- after all you’re newlyweds- use the free time wisely and build on your relationship and HAVE FUN ;)

All the best

September 17, 2008, 6:58 am CDT

Anorexia

Quote From: dkeller

It seems that everyone is obsessed with losing weight.  Either they want to and can not or they have some type of eating disorder.  My problem is that I can not gain weight.  I have looked all over the Internet to find a web site to help but the only ones are for men to build up their muscle mass.  Everyone seems to think I have some kind of eating disorder because I am so tiny( I'm 5ft 6inches and 103 lbs)!  I have always been small and always been teased about it.  It seems the entire world is worried about how overweight people are treated.  What about the people who are ridiculed for being too thin?  I am so sick of hearing that I need to eat!  I honestly eat all the time and do not gain weight.  But it seems there are no weight gain programs like there are weight loss programs!  Any suggestions?  

Have you ever been tested for Celiac Disease? It's something w/ your body's inability to process gluten and because of that, your body doesn't absorb nutrients either. It's a simple blood test and may be worth a shot! Its also linked to other problems, too, like depression, and other mental disorders, and anemia.

First | Prev | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | Next | Last