Message Boards

Topic : Anorexia

Number of Replies: 1384
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:31:18 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you or is someone you love systematically starving themselves? Anorexia is a serious condition that needs immediate treatment. Share your story here.

Eating Disorder Resources

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 28, 2005, 3:17 pm CDT

Lost!

Hello everyone! 

I was diagnosed with anorexia 5 years ago and have been followed by a million therapists and doctors since then. I've had to gain a lot of weight and I can't accept it! I feel so gross and bad about myself. I hate going out and dressing up... I'm so ashamed of my new body that I just want to die.  What can I do to get over this? The temptation of losing weight is SO strong... I'm restricting even though I know it's bad. How do I make all of this stop? How can I FINALLY feel good about  myself?  

Hugs! 

Tiny Fairy 

October 29, 2005, 1:07 pm CDT

Given up hope...

Quote From: tiny_fairy

Hello everyone! 

I was diagnosed with anorexia 5 years ago and have been followed by a million therapists and doctors since then. I've had to gain a lot of weight and I can't accept it! I feel so gross and bad about myself. I hate going out and dressing up... I'm so ashamed of my new body that I just want to die.  What can I do to get over this? The temptation of losing weight is SO strong... I'm restricting even though I know it's bad. How do I make all of this stop? How can I FINALLY feel good about  myself?  

Hugs! 

Tiny Fairy 

I was diagnosed with Anorexia 13 years ago, and I am having the same problems.  I've gone through "treatment" countless times and, due to my last time in "treatment", I am back at what they consider to be a normal weight for me.  I am not happy with this whatsoever and am restricting as well.  I know how you feel.  It's so hard to resist.  I wish I knew how you could feel good about yourself, but I've pretty much given up the hope that I will *ever* feel good about myself...

Bjork

October 29, 2005, 7:35 pm CDT

about me

This is my first time writing in this message board. My low weight was 70, and now I'm 90. I am not recovered, and I feel like ripping the fat off myself, but my metabolism is completely messed up. I gain if I eat somewhat 'normally,' even though I'm strictly vegan.  It's so hard to lose again, and not fitting into my favorite jeans, etc. is killing my spirit. What made me write, because I've read posts on here before, is that my life just sucks. I have no friends, which is my own fault but to late to fix, and my interests are so narrowed it's sad. I don't eat enough fats or omega-3s (or whichever it is), so my brain seems to be working slow. My memory is awful and it takes forever to do my homework. (I'm in college). Sometimes, I get this strange feeling in my brain- it's like something is putting pressure all around it, especially in the front part.  I want to make it in the world, but I am so scared. I'm scared to not lose weight, to continue all alone... I really feel like there is no one in the whole world that is like me. I never go out, I avoid people, and I have panic attacks. Sometimes I feel so much pain in my heart yearning for something not in this world and so much numbness to the world around me. I don't get the world at all, I really don't. I feel that I have to be thin because at least then people pay attention to me.  At least when I focus on eating and weight I have something that connects me to this world. 

October 30, 2005, 5:34 pm CST

hi....

hey everybody... 

um im 14 so i understand if you think im too young to be on here..so if thats it you dont have to post or w/e ...anyway im 5'9" yes at 14...and weigh 112...even tho ppl w/ e.d. that could be triggering sooo im soooo sorry...anyway...i skip breakfast....lunch...and for dinner...i eat a lil bit i guess...im trying to lose weight still...b/c everytime i look in the mirror i see this fat chick...and its probably the one thing i can control in my life right now....i was juss recently given prozac for my depression and i started seeing a therapist...but the fact that im obsessed w/ my weight....makes me wonder...if i possibly have an e.d. too....idk tho j/w  

~love all~ 

me.... 

October 30, 2005, 5:44 pm CST

Anorexia

Quote From: insanchick

hey everybody... 

um im 14 so i understand if you think im too young to be on here..so if thats it you dont have to post or w/e ...anyway im 5'9" yes at 14...and weigh 112...even tho ppl w/ e.d. that could be triggering sooo im soooo sorry...anyway...i skip breakfast....lunch...and for dinner...i eat a lil bit i guess...im trying to lose weight still...b/c everytime i look in the mirror i see this fat chick...and its probably the one thing i can control in my life right now....i was juss recently given prozac for my depression and i started seeing a therapist...but the fact that im obsessed w/ my weight....makes me wonder...if i possibly have an e.d. too....idk tho j/w  

love all 

me.... 

it sounds to me that if you don't already have an ed, you are on your way to. But, let me tell you- I am 20, and you are too young to get heavily into this.  Anorexia takes all your time, emotions,  and friends. I am miserable. The more deeply you fall into anorexia, and the longer you have it, the more wrapped up you become. I am not trying to tell you that you are not anorexic- because I don't know- but if you can please try to stop it. Right now you can get help from your family and therapists. After the age 18 no one can really do anything. Anorexia eats your life away. It is horrible.

November 1, 2005, 8:46 am CST

do i have an eating disorder?

November 1, 2005, 3:05 pm CST

Rejection?

I'm 15, and within the last year and a half I have lost over 50 pounds.  I never actually composed a diet, or a weight loss plan.  I instead began to shun away food little by little.  Although it sounds unprobable, I went from a size 16 to a size 7 without any notice from anyone.  My parents, friends, and family never really noticed that I had lost any weight at all, and hadn't seen that I was changing any habits.  It wasn't until a few weeks ago when I found a picture of myself which was taken in December 2003, and I showed it to my mother that anyone mentioned an eating disorder.   

After seeing the photo, my parents were actually left stupified, and they wanted to know how I ended up losing so much weight without anyone noticing.  After the initial shock, accusations of anorexia were everywhere.  My parents openly accuse me of having an eating disorder now that they notice my weight loss.  Perhaps the reason I first began to alter my diet, and never stopped was because I was waiting for a response, or some approval in my body.  I never, anticipated such strong believe on the behalf of my parents, indicating that I indeed have an eating disorder.  However, I don't thing that I do.  I know that with anorexia, as with many mental illnesses, rejection and denial are common.  I still believe that I am over weight and unnattractive, and I do limit my food, but I don't think that it is anorexia.  My lack of desire to eat has become more of a subconcience action rather than a strategic weight loss plan.  I rarely have an appetite, and most of the times when I eat, I do so soley for the purpose of satisfying my parents, or I will eat because I feel like I need to, not because I'm hungry, but because I haven't yet in the day.  

I exhibit nearly all symptoms of anorexia.  I am depressed and withdrawn most of the time.  Lunch is dreaded, and I find myself avoiding the cafeteria at all costs.  True, some days I do eat my lunch, but many days I purchase lunch, only to throw or give most of it away, sparing an apple or a box of juice to keep me occupied for the moment.   

I lack energy, and bruise easily now.  My mother believes that those are both because of poor eating habits.  I once agreed that I would be willing to see a doctor, as well as a dietician in an attempt to get my habit corrected and rerouted on a healthier plan, however my mother has never carried through with that, and the idea has been dropped. 

What I don't thoroughly understand though, is whether I truly have an eating disorder, or if it is only me believing everything that my parents are suggesting.  Many of their suggestions contradict theirselfs.  For instance, both my mother and stepfather (whom I live with) are obese.  Sometimes I wonder if they think I have an eating disorder only because I don't eat as much as they do.  On the other hand, my father, who I shall add is none to slim, used to tell me that I needed to lose excess weight.  With the different opinions from everyone around me, it is difficult for me to form my own opinions as to what is healthy, what looks right, and who is and isn't satisfied with my body.  I for one, am not satisfied with myself, but again that is largely due to the pressure from those around me.   

At this point, I do not know what to do.  I have a fear of psychiatrists ever since a previous experience with one due to an unrelated issue, so speaking to a guidance counselor via school is out of the question.  I also still deny much of the eating disorder accusations, and prefer to label them more as acceptance issues, or my willingness to impress those around me.  I know I should be my biggest critic, but parents withouth a doubt, influence my life as well.  How should I cope with this, and how should I go about diagnosing this either way? 

For reference, I have included two pictures.  Excuse the poor quality, but you can still get the point.  To the right was me in December 2003, and to the left is October 2005.  I have obvioulsy lost much weight, but does extreme weight loss automatically deem one as anorexic?  If anyone would be willing to shed some insight, or clarity on the issue, as well as advise me of what to do next, I'd be very greatful.  I've read some of the dramatic stories on this post, and on other references.  Although I'm not sure of many things in my life, I know right now that I am quite positive that I don't want to end up in situations like some of the other people I have heard about. 

~Oh Its Her 

November 1, 2005, 3:10 pm CST

Anorexia

Quote From: ohitsher

I'm 15, and within the last year and a half I have lost over 50 pounds.  I never actually composed a diet, or a weight loss plan.  I instead began to shun away food little by little.  Although it sounds unprobable, I went from a size 16 to a size 7 without any notice from anyone.  My parents, friends, and family never really noticed that I had lost any weight at all, and hadn't seen that I was changing any habits.  It wasn't until a few weeks ago when I found a picture of myself which was taken in December 2003, and I showed it to my mother that anyone mentioned an eating disorder.   

After seeing the photo, my parents were actually left stupified, and they wanted to know how I ended up losing so much weight without anyone noticing.  After the initial shock, accusations of anorexia were everywhere.  My parents openly accuse me of having an eating disorder now that they notice my weight loss.  Perhaps the reason I first began to alter my diet, and never stopped was because I was waiting for a response, or some approval in my body.  I never, anticipated such strong believe on the behalf of my parents, indicating that I indeed have an eating disorder.  However, I don't thing that I do.  I know that with anorexia, as with many mental illnesses, rejection and denial are common.  I still believe that I am over weight and unnattractive, and I do limit my food, but I don't think that it is anorexia.  My lack of desire to eat has become more of a subconcience action rather than a strategic weight loss plan.  I rarely have an appetite, and most of the times when I eat, I do so soley for the purpose of satisfying my parents, or I will eat because I feel like I need to, not because I'm hungry, but because I haven't yet in the day.  

I exhibit nearly all symptoms of anorexia.  I am depressed and withdrawn most of the time.  Lunch is dreaded, and I find myself avoiding the cafeteria at all costs.  True, some days I do eat my lunch, but many days I purchase lunch, only to throw or give most of it away, sparing an apple or a box of juice to keep me occupied for the moment.   

I lack energy, and bruise easily now.  My mother believes that those are both because of poor eating habits.  I once agreed that I would be willing to see a doctor, as well as a dietician in an attempt to get my habit corrected and rerouted on a healthier plan, however my mother has never carried through with that, and the idea has been dropped. 

What I don't thoroughly understand though, is whether I truly have an eating disorder, or if it is only me believing everything that my parents are suggesting.  Many of their suggestions contradict theirselfs.  For instance, both my mother and stepfather (whom I live with) are obese.  Sometimes I wonder if they think I have an eating disorder only because I don't eat as much as they do.  On the other hand, my father, who I shall add is none to slim, used to tell me that I needed to lose excess weight.  With the different opinions from everyone around me, it is difficult for me to form my own opinions as to what is healthy, what looks right, and who is and isn't satisfied with my body.  I for one, am not satisfied with myself, but again that is largely due to the pressure from those around me.   

At this point, I do not know what to do.  I have a fear of psychiatrists ever since a previous experience with one due to an unrelated issue, so speaking to a guidance counselor via school is out of the question.  I also still deny much of the eating disorder accusations, and prefer to label them more as acceptance issues, or my willingness to impress those around me.  I know I should be my biggest critic, but parents withouth a doubt, influence my life as well.  How should I cope with this, and how should I go about diagnosing this either way? 

For reference, I have included two pictures.  Excuse the poor quality, but you can still get the point.  To the right was me in December 2003, and to the left is October 2005.  I have obvioulsy lost much weight, but does extreme weight loss automatically deem one as anorexic?  If anyone would be willing to shed some insight, or clarity on the issue, as well as advise me of what to do next, I'd be very greatful.  I've read some of the dramatic stories on this post, and on other references.  Although I'm not sure of many things in my life, I know right now that I am quite positive that I don't want to end up in situations like some of the other people I have heard about. 

Oh Its Her 

first of all wow you are beautiful!!!  and what says if your anorexic is how you loose the weight not how much weight yiu loose..... it does sound like you have an ed though

November 2, 2005, 3:20 am CST

Anorexia

Quote From: gosselaine

Hi, 

I can understand how you must feel concerning your weight and being underweight, but you do eat and get nutition. I don't think your weight issues are like threatening although I understand the things about weight. 

I have just joined this group but want to share something with everyone and ask if there is anyone out there with this problem, although I am 5'8' and weigh 86 pounds, I am afraid of loosing weight, I don' refuse food, I have tried everything I can think of to gain weight. There is nothing physicall wrong with me as far as all the tests I have had. I look in the mirror and see skin and bones, I know I am thin and have come across something on the internet which explains it exactly, it is under panic and stress. Under time of stress in my life, I would have difficulty swallowing and although I want to eat, I can not. I have actually come to the conclusion that I have a phobia of choking and have interacted wtih others who have this same problems, but my point is, the results of this problem are the same as anorexia in that the weight becomes so low that is threatens life. I am now attempting to see a doctor I hope will help as nothing else has and I contiune to loose weight.  

It would be a shame to have a feeding tube put in g/tube simply because I have a phobia. Does this sound familiar to anyone. I have been assured by several doctors that I do  not have anorexia but I struggle every day and become dehydrated and am loosing weight every day. This is the lowest I have ever been. I am afraid and hope there is something or someone out there who understands.  

Elaine 

Hi 

I'm new to this so bear with me. I know how you feel. I am 46 yrs old. I have suffered with depression my whole life. Now I'm 5'7" and weigh 112 pounds. Everyone tells me I'm anorexic. I get sick of people telling me I'm to skinny. I have the same trouble swallowing. My doctor recommended that I try ensure or boost or some liquid nutrition. I have gained 5 pounds. The difference is I have Lupus but try the liquid drinks. I hope they help. 

Kathy   

November 4, 2005, 9:36 am CST

NORMAL: A musical that deals with Anorexia

Please come see this true story about a family dealing with a daughter's anorexia. This award winning , critically aclaimed musical is running through Nov 12 at the Connelly Theatee. 220 E. 4th St. In NYC.The musical follows Gayla Freeman and her "Perfect and Happy Family" as she attempt to save her 15 year old daughter from this life threatening disorder. Based on Yvonne Adrian's true story, it features music by Tom Kochan and lyrics by Cheryl Stern.We are changing lives nightly!! One young woman after seeing our show, agreed to enter treatment. She saw her family up there, understood their struggle and her own as never before and was finally able to take the first steps toward recovery. We are bringing this often hidden and still taboo disorder to light with love, humor and truth!!! Experts in the field host talk backs after each performance. DR. PHil, you must see this show.Check out the NY POST and VARIETY reviews. All the best,Cheryl Stern

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last