Message Boards

Topic : Anorexia

Number of Replies: 1384
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:31:18 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you or is someone you love systematically starving themselves? Anorexia is a serious condition that needs immediate treatment. Share your story here.

Eating Disorder Resources

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 7, 2005, 12:13 pm CDT

Anorexia

Quote From: chrisbon

i was watching TV today and the past couple of days and all i have seen  are reports about weight lose, gain, how to lose weight, and a new show being aired on fx about ridiculing eating disorders and giving more misunderstanding to eating disorders, as if we need help being misunderstood.  

i have fought this miserable illness for twenty five years and the last two days have been awful, I'm so scared if i start eating again i may explode! I'm feeling very anxious, at work today all anyone could talk about is there weight, complaining about how fat they are, even if there not. so i make my plans to lose more and to be perfectly thin. i get on the scale at least four times after i get home from work and twice in the morning and eat as little as possible. what are we going to do, no one understands the illness and even the size 10's think there fat, so TV continually says you need to lose more weight and we keep believing it's true and people die everyday of so called heart attacks, when they actually died of an eating disorder. when will it stop?  

I hear you....it is soooo much harder to deal w/ when you know most people don't understand. The problem w/ me is I don't even completely understand it. I just know it's not as easy as people seem to think it is. Some people will say 'just eat' yeah that sounds so easy but its not, theres sooooo much more to it. Even my psychiatrist doesn't really understand, the last time i saw him about a week ago he made a comment that just irriatated the hell out of me. I'm working w/ him on getting into an inpatient treatment program but in the meantime he wanted to change my meds...of course i asked him if the new med would make me gain weight, he asked my why i was asking. I said because if it makes me gain weight i know i'll get too freaked out and i'll stop taking them. So then he asks me 'well if you're not willing to gain weight than why go to this treatment center?' ........what the hell kind of a question is that....OH MY GOD....i told him because deep down i KNOW i want to get better but i can't do it on my own and the treatment center specifically deals w/ eating disorders and work on changing your thinking patterns...they don't just make you gain weight and then throw you away......so yeah doctors don't even really understand it....that was soooo frustrating. I hope things get better for you though. I feel for ya :)

September 7, 2005, 11:10 pm CDT

from an anorexic teen to a fat mom

well, that about sums it up.  I had an eating disorder throughout my teen years, and then i goty  married, and started a family... my brain is about the same, but my bodys not.  I went from a low low weight to an average weight. Now, I feel fat, now i see fat...I have tried hard NOT to excercise, restrict or purge...so that i dont trigger myself...but all i feel is FAT.  Its hard because people that didnt know me back then, see me now, and think... shes just Fat..shes not worth anything...fat, ugly, discusting..and i think, well by gosh, you shoulda seen me JUST Four and a Half YEARS AGO!!  I want to loose this weight.. and feel good about my appearance, and I dont want to starve and be moody...but then what...? I feel STUCK...my mind is still a teenager, but this body screams MOmmy?!  What happens when a teenager turns Adult, but their Mind is still screaming inside?.. we are suppost to be all mature, and handle our families and babies, and responsabilities now...but we still feel like teenagers, and crazy, and sick...but we have to show "june cleaver-esq"  adultness...ugg...

September 8, 2005, 1:35 pm CDT

help

hi, My name is lyndsay and i'm 15. I moved from Doha, Qatar to California last year. Since then i lost a lot of weight really fast and my mom has even freaked out. I gained it back but i started freaking out. I am 5'1-2 and i weigh between 83-85 lbs...my friends are concerned about me, and i can't eat a meal without excersizing excessively or taking a diet pill. I look in the mirror and i see myself fat. Do i have annorexia?
Please help.
Lyndsay

September 13, 2005, 1:27 pm CDT

Hi

Hi Everyone,  

It's been a while since I last posted. My computer went out so I am using the one at the library. I have really been struggling with anorexia lately. I am 38 years old and still battleing with this disease. I could really use a penpal. I would perfer somone in their 30's who can relate. I am thankful for these boards. It's nice to know I am not alone in my struggle.  

((((HUGS))))  

September 14, 2005, 11:53 pm CDT

trying to get it together

Well, I've been trying to get it together for myself harder latly,  I've posted on other sites before for other issues but I've never really talked about my issue with food.  I'm 26 and I have not been happy with my size since I was 13 (at that time my dad was sick and my parents seperated) I gess I've always had this peroccupation with being the smallest person in my curcle of people I know I have always gone from eating normally then to starving myself for a chuck of time then I get scard after I loose some desired weight loss then I eat again, starve, eat and so on I have not ever gone to low but I float at 100 to 115 lbs I am 5 foot.  I gess because I have not lost to much weight I disregard it as not an eating disorder.  I just was starving myself for 2 months and 2 weeks ago I tryed to eat again but now would be when I start feeling crappy about myself again and feel uncomfortable in myself.  I weigh 110 and look 2 times a day.   I have obsessions with food,  and I still try to avoid eating through the day I know my habits are not normal cause my co-workers don't act like this I'm just not comfy with myself and I debate myself each day to weather to eat or not.  I am trying to be healthy, and strong, but somtimes I want to give in.  I have a social worker but I don't know how to branch into this topic cause I feel like this is not an issue.  but I think about it alot, with all the other crappy thoughts.  I am not sure if this is somthing that is worth talking about with the SW because I am not physically at that point but I can't shake this obsession with being like 95 lbs.   anyways thats just my thought that I haven't ever shared so any advice on how I should approch this issue?? 

Thanks  

Forgeting 

September 15, 2005, 6:11 am CDT

Atypical

Quote From: tan144

I hope this doesn't come accross in a bad way cause i really don't mean it to but i just think maybe you posted this on the wrong board. What you said can be really triggering for those of us who are struggling w/ anorexia, not to mention that you probobly won't get much (if any) advice on gaining weight considering our problem is the opposite of yours and that we are obsessed w/ losing weight.  Just my thoughts :)

Hi, 

I can understand how you must feel concerning your weight and being underweight, but you do eat and get nutition. I don't think your weight issues are like threatening although I understand the things about weight. 

I have just joined this group but want to share something with everyone and ask if there is anyone out there with this problem, although I am 5'8' and weigh 86 pounds, I am afraid of loosing weight, I don' refuse food, I have tried everything I can think of to gain weight. There is nothing physicall wrong with me as far as all the tests I have had. I look in the mirror and see skin and bones, I know I am thin and have come across something on the internet which explains it exactly, it is under panic and stress. Under time of stress in my life, I would have difficulty swallowing and although I want to eat, I can not. I have actually come to the conclusion that I have a phobia of choking and have interacted wtih others who have this same problems, but my point is, the results of this problem are the same as anorexia in that the weight becomes so low that is threatens life. I am now attempting to see a doctor I hope will help as nothing else has and I contiune to loose weight.  

It would be a shame to have a feeding tube put in g/tube simply because I have a phobia. Does this sound familiar to anyone. I have been assured by several doctors that I do  not have anorexia but I struggle every day and become dehydrated and am loosing weight every day. This is the lowest I have ever been. I am afraid and hope there is something or someone out there who understands.  

Elaine 

September 15, 2005, 1:29 pm CDT

Anorexia

Quote From: tan144

I hope this doesn't come accross in a bad way cause i really don't mean it to but i just think maybe you posted this on the wrong board. What you said can be really triggering for those of us who are struggling w/ anorexia, not to mention that you probobly won't get much (if any) advice on gaining weight considering our problem is the opposite of yours and that we are obsessed w/ losing weight.  Just my thoughts :)

Has you doctor ever tested you for your thyroid gland? I had a friend who was 5.7 and she weighed less than 90lbs, its not because she didn't eat, she ate lots, but just couldn't gain weight. They figured out it was her thyroid gland and they put her on medication, I haven't seen her in a long time but last time I saw her the medication was helping. You should look into it. 

September 15, 2005, 1:30 pm CDT

Anorexia

Quote From: dkeller

It seems that everyone is obsessed with losing weight.  Either they want to and can not or they have some type of eating disorder.  My problem is that I can not gain weight.  I have looked all over the Internet to find a web site to help but the only ones are for men to build up their muscle mass.  Everyone seems to think I have some kind of eating disorder because I am so tiny( I'm 5ft 6inches and 103 lbs)!  I have always been small and always been teased about it.  It seems the entire world is worried about how overweight people are treated.  What about the people who are ridiculed for being too thin?  I am so sick of hearing that I need to eat!  I honestly eat all the time and do not gain weight.  But it seems there are no weight gain programs like there are weight loss programs!  Any suggestions?  

Oops posted this on one that replied to you, new to this site, oh well. 

Has your doctor ever tested you for your thyroid gland? I had a friend who was 5.7 and she weighed less than 90lbs, its not because she didn't eat, she ate lots, but just couldn't gain weight. They figured out it was her thyroid gland and they put her on medication, I haven't seen her in a long time but last time I saw her the medication was helping. You should look into it.  

September 16, 2005, 6:50 am CDT

Nothing helps

This has been a battle for me since I was 12 years old.  I was a gymnast and a cheerleader when I was younger.  I was the short one that weighed the least every year who always seemed to be picked for the top of the pyramids and stances.  That was until I hit 12 or 13 years old.  I had gained about 10 pounds that summer and when I came back my coach took me off the squad until I lost the weight I had gained.  She pulled me up in front of all the other cheerleaders and pulled my tank up so they could see a (roll).  She made fun of me for 20 minutes showing the girls the difference between pictures of me the year before and that year.  I was so humiliated.  I left school that day and made a decision.  I would never eat again unless I had to!   

4 years later I was down to 72 lbs and very ill.  I had to stop going to school because I was so weak.  I was checked into a clinic by my father but insurance didn't cover the amount of time it would take to get me help.  That fall I turned 18 and I moved out on my own.  I tried to keep up with the regimen they had me on, but I couldn't afford to go see the counselor anymore and I fell back into my old ways.  My highest weight on the program was 125 - 130 lbs... 

Now, I'm 27 years old 5 ft 2 inches and I currently weigh 92 lbs.  I'm supposedly healthier than I ever been before but I still feel huge and I am constantly having to force myself to eat every day.  It's getting tougher each day and anna is taking control again.  How do I get help if I can't afford it.  I make too much to get assistance and I don't make enough to pay for both the meds and treatment...  I feel lost and I just want to die.  I would really rather die than be this way anymore.  I just want to stop everything... 

My fiance` knows that I was anna for years before we met but I was at a healthy weight when we met.  He knows I've lost weight but I don't think he sees it as too much.  I'm afraid of losing him if I don't get a grip on this thing.  I just can't stop.  I can't stop myself from harming my self this way.   

Brady1177 

September 16, 2005, 3:40 pm CDT

Yes, I think so

Quote From: lyndsaye

hi, My name is lyndsay and i'm 15. I moved from Doha, Qatar to California last year. Since then i lost a lot of weight really fast and my mom has even freaked out. I gained it back but i started freaking out. I am 5'1-2 and i weigh between 83-85 lbs...my friends are concerned about me, and i can't eat a meal without excersizing excessively or taking a diet pill. I look in the mirror and i see myself fat. Do i have annorexia?
Please help.
Lyndsay
Yes, I think you are anorexic.  My daughter was diagnosed in January, she got down to 82 pounds and is 5 feet tall.  I would suggest you get help.  There are very specific lab tests that need to be done.  If you are not eating enough, you will damage all your internal organs, inlcuding your heart.  Your total body chemistry will be screwed up. Do you have lanugo (hair growing on your body), are you cold all the time?  Are you dizzy and tired all the time. These are physical symptoms of anorexia. I would definitly recommend you get help right away.  It is very difficult to overcome this on your own without professional help. Please don't delay!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last