Message Boards

Topic : Obesity

Number of Replies: 1371
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:33:24 pm
Author : dataimport
Obesity is a medical disorder that can be treated, but sometimes society doesn't look upon the obese with compassion. Find support and understanding here as you or those you love cope with obesity.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 2, 2008, 1:57 am CDT

confusin''

Um im kind of new to this, but i think something is wrong with me. I mean i eat when im bored, why?

I weigh 112 and Im 15 I know that dont seem like a lot,but I feel fat, and I never want to do sports. It not that Im lazy, I guess Im just too afraid of getting out there and hurt myself or embarrass myself. But, I have tried diets and I cant stand fruits. I think I might be a diabetic. Because diabetes run in my family, but how can I lose weight without harming myself??

July 3, 2008, 11:06 am CDT

Genetic factor: Who relates to me?

Hi, this is my first post in these boards. Let me explain where I'm coming from. I've fought obesity my entire life. I've struggled against this from the age of six. In junior high, my parents bought me a treadmill, and I spent hours -and I mean HOURS- on that thing,every single day, running at a regular jog, and I finally slimmed down. I've never been as out of shape as I had been at 13, but in order to maintain anything resembling a shape, I practically live my life in the gym.

Think you've heard this story before? I haven't. Why don't talk shows/magazines/ the media in general ever talk about the population that doesn't over eat, doesn't have a thyroid disorder, puts in an incredible amount of time exercising, and still can't lose the fat?

I think it's time we gave this some attention. I'm tired of reading these success stories that start out with "Yeah I used to watch five hours of television a day, and couldn't stop eating BLAH BLAH BLAH..." THat's not me. In fact, that INVALIDATES me. That implies the reason I'm overweight is my life style. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

Anybody relate? Weight, in a very real sense, has spoiled my childhood and continues to warp my life. If people can get the word out, maybe the image of people with weight disorders will change.

July 12, 2008, 6:06 am CDT

I can relate

Quote From: right_ringo

Hi, this is my first post in these boards. Let me explain where I'm coming from. I've fought obesity my entire life. I've struggled against this from the age of six. In junior high, my parents bought me a treadmill, and I spent hours -and I mean HOURS- on that thing,every single day, running at a regular jog, and I finally slimmed down. I've never been as out of shape as I had been at 13, but in order to maintain anything resembling a shape, I practically live my life in the gym.

Think you've heard this story before? I haven't. Why don't talk shows/magazines/ the media in general ever talk about the population that doesn't over eat, doesn't have a thyroid disorder, puts in an incredible amount of time exercising, and still can't lose the fat?

I think it's time we gave this some attention. I'm tired of reading these success stories that start out with "Yeah I used to watch five hours of television a day, and couldn't stop eating BLAH BLAH BLAH..." THat's not me. In fact, that INVALIDATES me. That implies the reason I'm overweight is my life style. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

Anybody relate? Weight, in a very real sense, has spoiled my childhood and continues to warp my life. If people can get the word out, maybe the image of people with weight disorders will change.

You are not alone in this battle.Unfortunately this becomes more difficult as we age.I also work out six days a week and stay within 1000 calories just to maintain.If I happen to splurge,it takes weeks to lose the weight gain.Blame it on a low metabolism which can`t seem to be raised.I do find that a low carb diet works best,hope this helps a little.

July 13, 2008, 6:02 am CDT

Can someone please help me :(

Hello my name is Claire. I am 16 years old and I weigh 400lbs, and I need help. I know I am obese and I don't know what to do about it anymore.. I don't know what to do anymore. My entire life so far has been, "you need to go on a diet" or "you need to work out and lose weight." I have tried EVERYTHING. I have been on SEVERAL diets. I have gone to weight watchers, curves, and other work-out facilities. I have even been to a physical therapist. I have been to counslers and I have talked to many many people about nuitricion and food. But I can't do it :(... I don't know what to do. I can't get my head into it. I know I need to lose weight but I cant push myself! I mean I'm 16 years old! I can't even go to the mall and walk around because I get so out of breath and then I think everyones staring at me. I can't even focus on boys or school because of it. I use to get made fun of so much that I dropped out and started getting homeschooled. My mom has done everything in her power to help me but nothing works. I cant put my mind to losing weight and I don't know how to. I don't want to just go talk to someone about it. I need someone to help me! I can't do this by myself and I don't know what the hell else I can do. Were not wealthy enough to get a physical trainer... And we defiantly arn't rich enough to pay for surgery. I can't get surgery because I'm only 16 and you have to be at least 18. PLUS insurance won't cover it UNLESS you have a medical illness. And I don't ...YET. And I don't want to wait until I do have one. I need someone to help me. Please? I want to live a normal life and do normal things that 16 year olds do. I want to be able to go to the mall and go shopping... I want to be healthy... I just don't know what to do anymore...

-claire.

July 17, 2008, 12:17 pm CDT

Unmotivated

I am a 40 year old that needs to loose at least 70 pounds. (I am 263 right now and 5" 6")  I am totally  unmotivated and tired and bored sometimes.  Most of my bordom comes from when I am at work.  I tend to eat a bit more at work , than at home. I do walk 4 to 7 times a week, (30 to 60 mins) but thats about it. Time is very little as I commute 3 hours a day and work 9.5 hours each day.  I am very tired after all that.  I get 4 to 6 hours of sleep each night.   I am not motivated to do anything else.  I am constantly thinking that I need to loose weight and have started going to my doctors for a "plan".  I am looking for a "quick" fix but I know things like this move slowly.  I guess what I am looking for here is suggestions to get over the bordom and to motivate me.  One thing I have problems with (especially in the summer) is sweating and heat.  That will keep me from doing anything as I do not like it at all.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

July 25, 2008, 7:14 pm CDT

Obesity

I'm 14 and getting picked on by my dad and others that im fat. i know im overweight you dont have to tell me that. i weigh like 250 lbs and i have been trying to loss weight i have been walk/running and riding bikes. i have also been cutting down on eating. then my mom had to go to court with my dad and the jude pretty much says my moms a bad mom because she let me and my sister get fat. and that i should be with my dad, (all though he is one of the reasons i'm fat in the first place because he mentaly abuses me) The question and problem is is that if i stay the way i am or get any bigger then the court will think my moms nothing feeding us right, but if i lose alot of weight then shes not feeding me at all? I just need to know what to do about my weight and if it will effect me not seeing my dad? ( cause i would really like it if i didnt have to see him!)

August 3, 2008, 11:25 am CDT

Obesity

Quote From: mssamantha55

I'm 14 and getting picked on by my dad and others that im fat. i know im overweight you dont have to tell me that. i weigh like 250 lbs and i have been trying to loss weight i have been walk/running and riding bikes. i have also been cutting down on eating. then my mom had to go to court with my dad and the jude pretty much says my moms a bad mom because she let me and my sister get fat. and that i should be with my dad, (all though he is one of the reasons i'm fat in the first place because he mentaly abuses me) The question and problem is is that if i stay the way i am or get any bigger then the court will think my moms nothing feeding us right, but if i lose alot of weight then shes not feeding me at all? I just need to know what to do about my weight and if it will effect me not seeing my dad? ( cause i would really like it if i didnt have to see him!)

I think there is too much pressure on you and that your dad is using the weight issue as an attack on your mother.  At 14 you should not be bearing the burden of your parent's issues!  If you lose weight it will not imply that your mom is not feeding you right.  Go to the store and get a new notebook for a food journal only.  Get another one for a personal journal and write down the things that your mother and your father say to you and how it makes you feel.

I don't know where you live or the laws in your state but where I live, at a certain age,and I don't remember the age, the child can make his or her own decision about which parent they want to live with unless there are reasons such as current or pending convictions of some kind of a crime.

As for losing weight, if you want to talk to me I would be glad to help.  I am 250lbs as well... I'm 21 but I know how you feel.  I lost 70 pounds in 2006 but gained it all back.  Its a battle.

My email is caitiebugsmom05@yahoo.com

August 3, 2008, 11:36 am CDT

Obesity

Quote From: claire42069

Hello my name is Claire. I am 16 years old and I weigh 400lbs, and I need help. I know I am obese and I don't know what to do about it anymore.. I don't know what to do anymore. My entire life so far has been, "you need to go on a diet" or "you need to work out and lose weight." I have tried EVERYTHING. I have been on SEVERAL diets. I have gone to weight watchers, curves, and other work-out facilities. I have even been to a physical therapist. I have been to counslers and I have talked to many many people about nuitricion and food. But I can't do it :(... I don't know what to do. I can't get my head into it. I know I need to lose weight but I cant push myself! I mean I'm 16 years old! I can't even go to the mall and walk around because I get so out of breath and then I think everyones staring at me. I can't even focus on boys or school because of it. I use to get made fun of so much that I dropped out and started getting homeschooled. My mom has done everything in her power to help me but nothing works. I cant put my mind to losing weight and I don't know how to. I don't want to just go talk to someone about it. I need someone to help me! I can't do this by myself and I don't know what the hell else I can do. Were not wealthy enough to get a physical trainer... And we defiantly arn't rich enough to pay for surgery. I can't get surgery because I'm only 16 and you have to be at least 18. PLUS insurance won't cover it UNLESS you have a medical illness. And I don't ...YET. And I don't want to wait until I do have one. I need someone to help me. Please? I want to live a normal life and do normal things that 16 year olds do. I want to be able to go to the mall and go shopping... I want to be healthy... I just don't know what to do anymore...

-claire.

You are depressed because you are overweight... and that makes it even more difficult to lose weight.  You need to know that you, and you alone, are the only person who can make the change.  You said you have "tried" everything... but losing weight isn't about "trying" things but STICK TO IT.  I did the same thing when I was 12 to 18... I didn't have motivation tho I wanted so badly to lose the weight.  I tried counting my calories but I didn't know how to do it correctly.  I would walk UP a mountain road and all the way back down several times a day but I was still eating the same.  I cried a lot, I was made fun of a lot and I hated myself for being fat...

I never would have lost weight if it weren't for two other people, my aunt and my cousin, who started a calorie counting diet and challenged me to do it too.  I was 256 pounds at that time and had just had a baby.  I lost 70 pounds in less that 5 months and in the first week I lost 9 pounds.  I would really like to share how I did that with you so if you are interested email me at caitiebugsmom05@yahoo.com

I have since gained it all back and am at 250 pounds again... I am hoping I can connect with someone here to help me lose my weight as well. :o)

August 5, 2008, 1:33 am CDT

hi clarityknot

Quote From: clarityknot

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here.

I wanted to ask this question because there seems to be some confusion out there and that includes me about whether obesity is an illness or disorder or not.

I mean, I can easily find clinics and academic depts studying and providing assistance for anorexics and bulimics and you can get government assistance in the form of medicare (Australia) for getting help for those eating problems but when it comes to obesity, it just doesn't exist.

Both my sister and I are morbidly obese.  I now have high bp and a heart problem.  I cannot seem to control my eating beyond a few hours to a few days.  It does seem to me to have the hallmarks of an addiction.  My sister had lapband surgery recently.  She had the money, I don't.  It cost her several thousands of dollars.  She still strongly craves food, but she just can't eat now.

It really confusing cause I don't know whether to be mad or not.  If it is a disorder, an addiction, it seems discriminatory to not provide medical assistance.  If its not, then what the hell is happening to me and others like me?

Look forward to your replies, particularly from health professionals.

I to am from Australia and have battled to have someone recognize my eating Disorder i have done a  lot of research for myself and have found a few things that maybe of use to you.....Medicare now funds 12 visits to psychologists and psychiatrists and is fully bulk billed depending on which state you are in ...i also have found through my own life history ...anorexia and bulimia as a teen and young adult that has lead to binge eating disorder as an adult and in my case they were all psychological and still are due to a life time of various abuse ....many life situations can have the same effect .....I also came across a good

web site www.ifnotdieting.com by Dr Rick Kausman who is a leading authority on eating behaviors in Australia ...it is an eye opener most good book stores will have the book entitled ....If not dieting, then what .I have found it very good reading , please get hold of a copy it has a chapter on non-hungry eating which i found valuable in understanding myself. I'm no Doctor but i do know this book is worth its weight in gold....also you can try Over Eaters Anonymous it works on the step program of AA ...i hope this helps (smile)  .........ilovesunshine

August 20, 2008, 1:17 pm CDT

I'm obese too

I just signed up to Dr. Phil,

I believe that I eat because back in the day I could and didn't gain weight, now that I'm older and have had lots of chaos and death in my family over the years, eating was a way to comfort my self, and fill the void.

I'm 50years old now, I'm a recovering alcoholic-addict, recently widowed, have a new career and all my kids are grown. I see my doctor regularly-every 3 months because I'm diabetic, and have recently noticed that my feet swell even if I take medicine for swelling, It's difficult to walk when they are like that, bad knees as well.... These things make any exercise difficult to non=existant, I'm finacially poor so to say, I make to much money to get health assistance from the state but can't afford insurance What's a girl to do???

Any answers out there???

First | Prev | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | Next | Last