Message Boards

Topic : Obesity

Number of Replies: 1371
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:33:24 pm
Author : dataimport
Obesity is a medical disorder that can be treated, but sometimes society doesn't look upon the obese with compassion. Find support and understanding here as you or those you love cope with obesity.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 5, 2008, 5:43 pm CDT

Claire

Quote From: claire42069

Hello my name is Claire. I am 16 years old and I weigh 400lbs, and I need help. I know I am obese and I don't know what to do about it anymore.. I don't know what to do anymore. My entire life so far has been, "you need to go on a diet" or "you need to work out and lose weight." I have tried EVERYTHING. I have been on SEVERAL diets. I have gone to weight watchers, curves, and other work-out facilities. I have even been to a physical therapist. I have been to counslers and I have talked to many many people about nuitricion and food. But I can't do it :(... I don't know what to do. I can't get my head into it. I know I need to lose weight but I cant push myself! I mean I'm 16 years old! I can't even go to the mall and walk around because I get so out of breath and then I think everyones staring at me. I can't even focus on boys or school because of it. I use to get made fun of so much that I dropped out and started getting homeschooled. My mom has done everything in her power to help me but nothing works. I cant put my mind to losing weight and I don't know how to. I don't want to just go talk to someone about it. I need someone to help me! I can't do this by myself and I don't know what the hell else I can do. Were not wealthy enough to get a physical trainer... And we defiantly arn't rich enough to pay for surgery. I can't get surgery because I'm only 16 and you have to be at least 18. PLUS insurance won't cover it UNLESS you have a medical illness. And I don't ...YET. And I don't want to wait until I do have one. I need someone to help me. Please? I want to live a normal life and do normal things that 16 year olds do. I want to be able to go to the mall and go shopping... I want to be healthy... I just don't know what to do anymore...

-claire.

Claire:  Anything that anybody says to you is not going to sink in.  I know from experince.  I have a daughter that is 49 years old.  She was very heavy in her teens.  I tried to help her loose weight, like you she was made fun of at school.  When she got older she became a diabetic and still didn't stay on the diet, even though the doctors told her of the things that could happen to her.  NOW her kidneys are not working any more and she is on dialysis and is on a kidney transplant list.  She isn't as heavy as she was when she was a senior in high school, but is still very over weight.  I am not telling you this to scare you, but honey you need to do something NOW.  My suggestion to you if you can get Jay McGraw's Ultimate Weight  Soultion for Teens---GET IT and read, read and reread and do what it says.

It works!  And I am not a old skinny person myself.  I have struggled with my weight for years.  I did manage to lose a 100 pounds and felt fantastic.  I was on high blood pressure meds (three of them) and couldn't hardly get out of a chair.  Since I have lost the weight the doctor has taken me off all the blood pressure meds but one.   I also had problems with my stomach,  since I have lost the weight I don't have as much problems with my stomach.  For me it will be a life time of watching my weight.  Once you get it off, you have to keep exercising and keep eating healthy foods and watch your portions.  Honey,  IF I CAN DO IT ANYBODY CAN

Good luck,  I hope you will do it.

Hugs,

Dolores

September 10, 2008, 1:51 pm CDT

Please help

My name is Sonia.  I am 31 years old with a loving husband and three boys.  I am so overweight that at times I get embarased because my clothes fits a little too tight.  I am not 100lbs overweight but a lot more.  I have to admit that I have no will power what so ever.  I believe that I literally need someone to take me by the hand and help me.  Someone who will hold me accountable with what I eat and how much exercise I get.  I need someone stronger than me  in this area.  I have not been able to wear any bathing suits or even the ideal clothes that I would love to wear.  As a photographer, this job involves a whole lot of movement and positions such as kneeling and standing on things.  Because of my bad knees I am unable to do a lot of it.  I feel that because of my weight I have not been able to get a job maybe because of my appearance.  I love to dress up but when I do it's in the clothes that I have had (which stretch) so they still fit.  I am so embarased with myself but I thank God that my husband loves me so much and has not left me for this.  I weigh 330lbs.  But then again i have not weighed myself since i was pregnant with my last child which was two years ago.  So you can only imagine the damage.  I love my family with all my heart and need help with this.  I have thought of Gastric Bypass Surgery because my mom had it done and it worked great for her.  But I am afreaid that my husband will not allow me to have it done for myself.  I have taken diet pills and more diet pills but seem to only be gaining the weight more and more.  I don't wanna take those anymore.  I need a change. It's that time.  Before it gets too late.

September 10, 2008, 3:46 pm CDT

obesity

Quote From: handmaiden

I'm 41 year old, Married I have 1 child a 6 year old daughter, I weigh over 300 lbs. And my daughter weighs over 100 lbs. I used to have an night mares when she was a infant that she would be crying wanting a Hershey bar I had in my hand and I would say no, no, no, baby I cant give it to you I don't want you to be fat like mommy, I would not give her cakes, cookies, nothing sweet or fattening then she went in for her 2 yr check up the Dr told me she was under weight I thought to my self "OH MY GOSH I AM DEPRIVING MY DAUGHTER BE CAUSE OF MY FEARS" I had mixed emotions so I started letting her have the cookies and cakes then she started sneaking in the refrigerator and I caught her sticking her hand in the butter and eating it plain, then the mayo, and peanut butter she had learned how to disable the alarm on the refrigerator I'm so worried about her I don't know if she is still sneaking in the refrigerator but I do know she claims she is hungry all the time I wish there was a way I could get her to understand but how can I do that when I don't understand and I do the same thing well, I don't stick my hand in the butter ha but I do over eat, I thought I did not have a problem till now. I have tried and it is just to hard I try walking my feet hurt so bad I cant stand it  I know some of it is the heal spur I am getting so stressed there are other things in my life and with it all it makes me crazy my mind don't work rite no more it has got to the point I am wondering if I am getting Alzheimer  I just cant function I know I should go to the DR but I cant afford it when I wake up in the morning I cant hardly move my bones and muscles hurt so bad I am the biggest I have ever been I have known energy I cant even clean my house I am in pain all the time I don't want my daughter to go threw this I am so scared and afraid it is to late for me but how can I help my daughter? Well, that is were I am now.
hi i am 41 years old and i weigh 280 lbs and its so hard for me sometimes cuz i can do what i wanna do. and my son is 15 and he is ver over weight he weighs 270  and he has diebeties hight blood pressure and he can not control his eating e is goning to all types of doctors an they dont seems to help i wish i can get him with dr phile maybe he could help but iam worried for the both of us.

September 10, 2008, 4:05 pm CDT

A new begining

I have read most of the messages on this board and OMG!!! I can relate.
I am 40 years old am 5'5" and weigh 224 pounds.I am married to a loving man from over seas that doesn't understand why I am not being disciplined enough to loose the weight, he thinks that by putting me down and fussing me that it will make me want to do better for myself. To me that doesn't give me the want to it makes me feel worthless and I give up.  I have wondered for many years if i have an eating disorder.  Boy can I eat. I eat when I am not even hungry. I am at my braking point and I don't know how to stop myself.  I have all the gym equipment  you could imagine in my home and it sit is a room  that we call "the exercise room"....lol.  How do you get motivated to exercise when you are tired all the time?  I even work from home but I can still find excuses as to why I can't do it.
I think about what a drug addict goes through or a gambler and I think that is me only my drug of choice is food. How do you stop?  How do you break the cycle? I have tried every diet, I have even gone to Over eaters Anonymous which is based on AA but only for food and I haven't found the help I need.  I don't know where to turn so I picked up Dr. Phil's book and decided to pour my soul to the lucky ones on this board.
I don't have any support when it comes to losing weight so you will probably see me a lot.
Here is to new beginnings to all of us

September 10, 2008, 7:20 pm CDT

Feeling Hopeless

I've been here before.  I registered as a member of Dr. Phil's site around 2 years ago.  It was mainly due to being so over weight then.  Well, now I'm further along the path of obesity.  I wound up deciding to focus all my attention on quitting smoking.  I have now been nicotine free for 2 1/2 years with the help of the Voices of Nicotine Recovery (a 12 step group, Nicotine Anonymous). 

Quitting smoking does tend to put another 10 to 15 lbs on people, but I believe I put another 20 to 40 on.  I'm not exactly sure of what my weight is.  I buried the scales for a while and now they are stuck in behind the washer and I think it probably needs a battery.  I know that I've gained weight by the fact that I've out grown my mid size clothes.  My waist measures 48" and I'm only 60" tall. 

I've been trying to eat less without a whole lot of luck.  I just get to feeling really hungry every 4 hours.  I wind up eating 2 or 3 servings of high calory foods each time.  I have Fibromyalgia and severe osteoarthritis through out my spine, in my left hip, both knees and I have plantar fascitis.  My teeth are falling apart and have been for years now. 

In the last month or so, I'm getting pain in the back of my head which feels like someone slammed me there and blurred vision part of the day.  The blurred vision seems to be caused by the pain in the back of my head.  The longer I sit up the worse it gets.  The blurred vision seems to get worse also after I've been watching TV in a reclined position for over an hours. 

Yet I will drag myself to the kitchen and fix quick and easy meals to eat every 4 or 5 hours.  Some days it's every 2 to 3 hours.  I spend most of my day sitting on my bed playing games online and reading email and laying down for hours.  On really bad days I sleep most of the day.  It's better than sitting here in pain with my vision blurring and my mind fuzzy.

I have not seen a doctor in over 3 years.  I just gave up.  All I could afford was a income scale clinic which when all the blood tests were done, I could not keep paying for those.  I had a catscan done once back in 2001 and I still have not paid it. 

I have found that there is an emergency free clinic a few blocks from here, but have not managed to drag myself there.  I'd have to go alone and sit there probably waiting to be told that they couldn't help me.  I know a friend went there and they gave her a prescription for antibiotics which she could not afford.  I just feel like I don't have the energy nor the emotional strength to do that.  When I think of it, I get to feeling exhausted and mentally shut down.

I struggled with the withdrawal and adjusting to not having nicotine anymore and managed to finish my Bachelor's in IT (web design) this past July.  Now I feel like I've dived off a cliff and am hitting every jag on the way down.  I had so dreamed that I would be able to work from home doing web design and manage to get myself set up with health insurance.  Now I feel like I may never see that happen and I just don't have it in me to fight for disability or whatever. 

I wrote once requesting a disability advocate.  No answer and that was 2 weeks ago.  I feel like I'm floating in a cloud of pain and fatigue and I know I'm depressed.  I get through each day by going to my NicA meetings, have contact with my sponsees, play games online and watch TV.  I'm wondering if I'll just end my life here in this bed and in this filthy apartment.

Anyway, I'll try to visit the weight support forums daily from now on.  That is all the commitment I am able to make.  All this writing has caused me to have a tightening band around my head.  I'll crawl back in my little hole again here.  I already have the Ultimate Weight Solution.

September 11, 2008, 12:39 pm CDT

Hi All

How are we doing today?  I pulled out my "Ultimate weight loss solution book yeaserday day after I posted my message and I couldn't put it down. I worked the whole first key. Boy do I have some stinkin thinkin. I am changing that though, after all that is the first step right? I have post it notes all over my house to remind me of my goals and the question "Is what I am saying to myself true?" "Do I have proof to back it up?"
I actually fell a lot better today than I did yesterday, I now know I do have what it takes to do this, I also know it is going to be a long hard road but I have the Dr. Phil family to get me through.

I encourage everyone if you haven't picked up the book  please do so now, just going through the first key has really opened my eyes to who I  really am.

The best of health to you all, I am here for us

September 15, 2008, 7:37 pm CDT

why the book

Why does Dr. Phils book need to be read to lose weight..?

I cant afford toilet paper so buying his book is out of the question.

I'm trying to lose and I'm not to successful I just dont understand how reading a book will help me.

September 17, 2008, 9:08 am CDT

response

Quote From: omachris

I am an obese woman who has had stomach stapling four years ago, I am 51 mother of four, grandmother of eight. 280 pounds. My parents both died young, Mom 66, Dad 55, My brother last year 46. I come from a family all obese.I have five sisters four obese, one thin as a rail. I fear that if I cannot get it right in my head on what to do that I will die soon, I have MS, and this has limited me in many ways. I suffer from severe depression all the time and am taking all kinds of medications for depression and fro my MS. Including Rebif injection three times a week. Is there any help for me, I feel miserable , very lonely, I live isolated as I feel that I am unworthy of friends, or even a loving relationship with my husband. I have been married to him for 34 years, but he basically lives his own lie traveling the world as a missionary, leaving me to fend for myself for months at a time.He is very controlling women he is at home. I grew up in a very strict Christan home where i WAS TAUGHT THAT THE MAN IS THE HEAD OF THE HOUSE. and the woman is obedient to the man.So is there any hope for an obese woman who doesn't want to die young.

If if fact u are christain, then you would know that the "word" says... we as women must submit to our husbands, it doesn't say that we (women ) have to be a door mat; nor does it say you don't have a "say' in matters of the household. It wouls seem you feel "stuck"...

Start by making small changes, such as, floor exercises. Reading positive motivation books, such as, Joel Osteens...A better you... joyce meyer... a confident woman.... they both give you the lift as a christain woman to see our reflection as it really is...."BEAUTIFUL IN GOD'S EYES!!!"...Believe in yourself... u are a daughter of the most high god...start acting like it!!

September 24, 2008, 5:57 pm CDT

Me on a Mission

Well here I am! I'm 25 yrs old, 5'7 and 264 pounds. In the last year and a half I have gained 64 pounds! however before that I was already about 25 lbs overweight. I consider my normal weight to be 175-180 lbs. What Happend? After buying a car, spraining an ankle and losing a job ..somehow I managed to get even bigger. And now the scariest part of all! I have been experiencing numbness in my legs and arms. I cannot cross my legs like a lady anymore nor tie my shoes without becoming brathless. I am terrified! I had no idea I had gained so much weight until I saw a physician and argued the scale must be broken. I felt like a complete idiot when they put me on another scale and those horrifying numbers popped up once more. I truly was not aware I was that big. Now that I know the truth, I am ready to do something about it. My goal is to lose the 64 pounds in the next 7 months, a little at a time. All the culprits have been tossed out of my kitchen, and I am on a mission to walk two 45 minute walks per day as well as attempting to keep up to those work out videos in the morning. Wish me luck!

September 24, 2008, 7:51 pm CDT

A little change can make a huge difference

Quote From: claire42069

Hello my name is Claire. I am 16 years old and I weigh 400lbs, and I need help. I know I am obese and I don't know what to do about it anymore.. I don't know what to do anymore. My entire life so far has been, "you need to go on a diet" or "you need to work out and lose weight." I have tried EVERYTHING. I have been on SEVERAL diets. I have gone to weight watchers, curves, and other work-out facilities. I have even been to a physical therapist. I have been to counslers and I have talked to many many people about nuitricion and food. But I can't do it :(... I don't know what to do. I can't get my head into it. I know I need to lose weight but I cant push myself! I mean I'm 16 years old! I can't even go to the mall and walk around because I get so out of breath and then I think everyones staring at me. I can't even focus on boys or school because of it. I use to get made fun of so much that I dropped out and started getting homeschooled. My mom has done everything in her power to help me but nothing works. I cant put my mind to losing weight and I don't know how to. I don't want to just go talk to someone about it. I need someone to help me! I can't do this by myself and I don't know what the hell else I can do. Were not wealthy enough to get a physical trainer... And we defiantly arn't rich enough to pay for surgery. I can't get surgery because I'm only 16 and you have to be at least 18. PLUS insurance won't cover it UNLESS you have a medical illness. And I don't ...YET. And I don't want to wait until I do have one. I need someone to help me. Please? I want to live a normal life and do normal things that 16 year olds do. I want to be able to go to the mall and go shopping... I want to be healthy... I just don't know what to do anymore...

-claire.

Hi Claire, my name is Kelli. I was never over weight as a teenager, but after one child and now that I am 25 I am 95 pounds over weight. I just wanted to tell you that a little change in your diet can make a huge difference. About two years ago (when I was only 25 lbs overweight), I made a list of all the bad things that I consume on a regular basis, I figured out that most of the sugar and calories I was consuming was from Soda, because really I do eat pretty healthy and dont really over portion. That was the only thing I changed in my diet, all I drank was non fat milk(at dinner), and water the rest of the time..I lost a little over 30 pounds in two months. Basically my point is that if you know what your biggest problem food or beverage is then if you can comitt to completely cutting it out of your diet then you will see results. It will take a few weeks for you to notice but you will lose weight. I would suggest starting with small steps, and then as you adjust you can make more changes little by little. I am only 264 pounds and I get out of breath and I realize how hard it is once you do actually get motivated to be able to work out. All those videos where they make it look so easy, and here I feel so discouraged because I cannot do simple excercises. Again I am on a mission to lose the weight and overall improve my health. I drink tons of water all day instead of sugared drinks, and I walk once in the morning (with my dog) for 45 minutes and once in the evening with my son and the dog. You dont want to starve yourself and end up binging a few days later and giving up, and you dont want to excercise to where you are going to hurt yourself. I believe that everyone has the ability to change, you just have to take baby steps sometimes and try really hard to stay motivated. And if you give up for a day or binge or whatever, you just have to jump back on the wagon the next day and keep going. Try cutting out one problem food or drink, without replacing it =) and try going on a walk daily. I dont know what you are doing now but maybe this will help you . Best of luck and dont let people get you down!

First | Prev | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | Next | Last