Message Boards

Topic : Obesity

Number of Replies: 1371
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:33:24 pm
Author : dataimport
Obesity is a medical disorder that can be treated, but sometimes society doesn't look upon the obese with compassion. Find support and understanding here as you or those you love cope with obesity.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 10, 2005, 10:52 am CDT

a little bit of everything

Hi, I'm a 34 year old male and I'm overweight. I am 6'2" and 375 lbs. I exercise and eat fairly healthy, but i cant lose ANY weight. All I do is gain weight. It all goes back to when i was in high school. I used to play football and wrestle. I used to eat  to pack the weight on for football, and I hardly ate for wrestling, and when i would eat, i would make myself get sick so i didnt gain any weight.  

I was married for 5 years and now divorced for 8 years. I have a wonderful son with my ex- wife, and i would never change that for the world. I recently got involved with an amazing woman that sees me for who i really am. She had that gastric bypass and lost like 150 lbs within one year, and looks great. 

I was thinking about the surgery, but had to stop looking before i even started because i was fired from my job. I was fired because I refused to work out of town (so i could start talking with doctors about this surgery). My employer and I discussed the whole situation and he was all for me doing what i needed to do. Then turns around and fires me, now i have no insurance. 

Also, some of my family, drill me about losing weight. I know I'm overweight, but when they look me up and down with a look of disappointment and disgraceand drill me with the "weight" topic, i have bad thoughts. I would like to think I would never harm myself, but when this happens, the thought crosses my mind. It always seems like "my weight" is always the number one thing to talk about. 

My son was the only thing that kept me going these last 9 years and now my girlfriend is also something that gives me something to look forward to. There is mainly 1 thing i know and 2 things i pray for. The 1 thing I know is That I'm not ready to die, and the 2 things I pray for are being here for my son as he grows up and even in his adulthood, and spending my life with Amy. These two people dont make me feel heavy, they dont remind me of my weight problem. 

I have been listed to have sleep apnia. The test showed that i stop breathing like 200 plus times a night, I have high blood pressure, and im listed as being hypertension. I have tried all diets and nothing works.  

October 10, 2005, 1:00 pm CDT

Hopeful

Hi, my name is Amber.  I am 21 years old and I weight 270 lbs.  I am trying to lose weight with the help from my husband.  I used to weight 200 and I stayed at that weight most of my high school years, but 2 weeks after I got engaged to my husband my father died.  It was also my first year of college and I was in my first months of living on my own.  The stress level and my extreme state of sadness took its toll.  I began eating my pain and here I am 2 years later and 70 lbs heavier trying to get my life back. 

October 11, 2005, 9:01 am CDT

Here we go again!

I am a 39 yr. old women and I am going to lose the 100 pounds I have gained and lost for the 6th. time. I am no longer concerned with how I look its about my health.I am actually in good health but I know it will not stay that way forever. I am just so tired of the cycle of addiction that I am on. I can lose the weight but then I just overeat until I can not stand the weight anymore and then I diet again. I have many underlying problems in my life and just happen to use food to take the stress away. I sometimes wish I was an alcoholic or drug addict because at least I would not be so heavy. You can not hide the fact that you are overweight. !!!!

October 11, 2005, 12:03 pm CDT

I could have written that same note.

Quote From: ladybugzz

I am a 39 yr. old women and I am going to lose the 100 pounds I have gained and lost for the 6th. time. I am no longer concerned with how I look its about my health.I am actually in good health but I know it will not stay that way forever. I am just so tired of the cycle of addiction that I am on. I can lose the weight but then I just overeat until I can not stand the weight anymore and then I diet again. I have many underlying problems in my life and just happen to use food to take the stress away. I sometimes wish I was an alcoholic or drug addict because at least I would not be so heavy. You can not hide the fact that you are overweight. !!!!
Your post sounds so much like me--I lost 96 lb. once, 104 lb. once (both on Weight Watchers), then 160 lb. on the hospital supervised liquid diet (nearly died from side effects and the Dr. took me off when my kidneys started to shut down and I had 2 strokes). I've lost smaller amounts dozens of times, but each time gained it all back PLUS MORE!! It is so frustrating.

But the UWS book that Dr. Phil wrote is for PERMANENT weight loss--that's the important thing. If you don't have the book yet, get it and read it over and over again. Work through the questionnaires as you come to them--don't read past and figure you'll go back to them later--you get more good out of doing them as they come in the book. And start right in making healthy choices for your meals, move a little more each day and drink at least 8 glasses of water each day. The food is only one of the 7 keys; the exercise is only one of the 7 keys. There are 5 other keys to KEEPING the weight off when you lose it and developing that healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life.

I strongly recommend getting involved in one of the many online support groups under "Message Boards" with the heading "WEIGHT". You'll see one category titled "Weigh Loss Challenge Discussion". Click on that and look through the names of the various support boards. Some are based on the amount to lose, some on age, some on lifestyle, etc. Find 2 or 3 that appeal to you and try them out. Read regularly for a week or so to see where you feel comfortable. Then start posting daily--even if only to say "hi" at first to get acquainted. Being on a board is so much better than one or 2 e-mail or face-to-face buddies. Where are you left if your buddies drop off the program? Or have a busy schedule and can't support you when you're having problems? But the message board support group is there for you 24/7 because it is made up of MANY people who share your journey. True, some individuals may drop out and new ones come periodically, but overall the BOARD will be there for you.

I get my support from a wonderful, positive group on the 200 lb. or more to lose message board. We do have some people who need to lose less than 200 lb.--what we have in common is facing a long-term journey to get to our "get-real goal", possibly 3 or 4 years or more. We also have special challenges with exercise because there is a possibility of injury at our size and our stamina only allows a few minutes to begin with and we need to take baby steps. But we ARE getting there. You can too. You would be more than welcome on our board or any of the many others just waiting to meet you and help you along.

You mention wishing you were a drug or alcohol addict. It's true that those addictions are not visible to the rest of the world. We carry our addiction like a billboard everywhere we go. And people judge us for it far more than they judge drug addicts or alcoholics. And yet it IS an addiction. But it's one we can overcome. Hang in there. I know you can do it. We all can--together.

Cherie

October 13, 2005, 2:22 pm CDT

Hello - Here I am !

Quote From: cheriemont

Your post sounds so much like me--I lost 96 lb. once, 104 lb. once (both on Weight Watchers), then 160 lb. on the hospital supervised liquid diet (nearly died from side effects and the Dr. took me off when my kidneys started to shut down and I had 2 strokes). I've lost smaller amounts dozens of times, but each time gained it all back PLUS MORE!! It is so frustrating.

But the UWS book that Dr. Phil wrote is for PERMANENT weight loss--that's the important thing. If you don't have the book yet, get it and read it over and over again. Work through the questionnaires as you come to them--don't read past and figure you'll go back to them later--you get more good out of doing them as they come in the book. And start right in making healthy choices for your meals, move a little more each day and drink at least 8 glasses of water each day. The food is only one of the 7 keys; the exercise is only one of the 7 keys. There are 5 other keys to KEEPING the weight off when you lose it and developing that healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life.

I strongly recommend getting involved in one of the many online support groups under "Message Boards" with the heading "WEIGHT". You'll see one category titled "Weigh Loss Challenge Discussion". Click on that and look through the names of the various support boards. Some are based on the amount to lose, some on age, some on lifestyle, etc. Find 2 or 3 that appeal to you and try them out. Read regularly for a week or so to see where you feel comfortable. Then start posting daily--even if only to say "hi" at first to get acquainted. Being on a board is so much better than one or 2 e-mail or face-to-face buddies. Where are you left if your buddies drop off the program? Or have a busy schedule and can't support you when you're having problems? But the message board support group is there for you 24/7 because it is made up of MANY people who share your journey. True, some individuals may drop out and new ones come periodically, but overall the BOARD will be there for you.

I get my support from a wonderful, positive group on the 200 lb. or more to lose message board. We do have some people who need to lose less than 200 lb.--what we have in common is facing a long-term journey to get to our "get-real goal", possibly 3 or 4 years or more. We also have special challenges with exercise because there is a possibility of injury at our size and our stamina only allows a few minutes to begin with and we need to take baby steps. But we ARE getting there. You can too. You would be more than welcome on our board or any of the many others just waiting to meet you and help you along.

You mention wishing you were a drug or alcohol addict. It's true that those addictions are not visible to the rest of the world. We carry our addiction like a billboard everywhere we go. And people judge us for it far more than they judge drug addicts or alcoholics. And yet it IS an addiction. But it's one we can overcome. Hang in there. I know you can do it. We all can--together.

Cherie

Hello Cherie and everyone.!  My name is Teresa... I have at least 100 to lose.  Today, so far I have made good choices for my meals.  Have had no junk.   I have been a complulsive eater, emotional eater all my life... I am 44 years old.. and I can't do it anymore..  "Its not working for me"  HA ! :) 

My health is at stake, I can feel it.   I am going to get back into my Dr. Phil book, and really apply myself ... I am going to need support.. and this is where I will get it!  this is great.  

Tonight's dinner will be: baked chicken breast, green beans, cottage cheese, small salad.,, and ice tea.   If I don't plan my meals... I eat on the run... I have been doing the "mad dashing" and eating...   I am sure every fast food restaurant window knows me by now... McD's, TacoTime, BurgerKing, Dairy Queen, Jack in the Box......  no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Thank you friends for listening... I'll be back!  Have a good day,  

*** my goal weight is 150.....    I was once on the Phen/Fen program and lost it all....  to be honest,,, I never felt better in my life.... felt in control, balanced.... it was amazing.  my heart is fine.  have had all the tests to be sure.   

Teresa 

Seattle, WA 

October 13, 2005, 2:57 pm CDT

One Day At A Time

Quote From: vanessa1

Hi everyone,  Maybe someone out there can inspire me a little to start losing weight! I would love to be a part of Dr Phils weight loss challenge and bet I could really give some of them a run for their money, but it is very difficult trying to lose weight on your own - so a little advice would be great.  My husband also needs to lose weight, but he looooves his food!  My baby is 9 and a half months old and while I was pregnant with her I went to gym and ate healthy food, but now just munch on anything I can get my paws on!  I now weigh 95kg's! 

Hi Vanessa!  I am new here too.  I have at least 100 lbs to lose.   

Today... is a good day so far.... good choices.   I am an emotional eater, binger....  I can't do it anymore, my body is giving out... 

We need to encourage each other daily....  I'll be back! 

Teresa 

Seattle WA 

October 13, 2005, 3:06 pm CDT

Obesity

if someone could inspire me to loose weight, or even show me how to begin this process i would love it.  i have tried everything for years and nothing works for me.  i have never been very thin but for me comfortable.  i now have had 3 children back to back to back.  i am very over weight, just need some good motivation.

October 14, 2005, 5:08 am CDT

Obesity

Quote From: daisy24

if someone could inspire me to loose weight, or even show me how to begin this process i would love it.  i have tried everything for years and nothing works for me.  i have never been very thin but for me comfortable.  i now have had 3 children back to back to back.  i am very over weight, just need some good motivation.
daisy, no one can do it for you, you have to want it.  You should be so busy with 3 children and if you are feeding them good healty stuff and active in their play times you should be doing things that will help yourself also.  Chin up, do it for yourself, maybe you don't feel that you are worthy of it but I bet your kids do.

October 14, 2005, 5:17 am CDT

wake up

Quote From: ladybugzz

Maybe your problem is that you are trying to hide the problem instead of tackling it.  You have to get rid of or deal with the problems in your life or the weight will not stay off this time either.  The problem isn't the weight.  I can't believe your comment that you would rather be an alcoholic or drug addict.  Are you belittling their pain and struggling, like the only one having a hard time in the world is you.  Get over yourself. 

October 14, 2005, 5:24 am CDT

Obesity

I too am struggling with obesity.  I don't blame anyone for my weight, I know that what I am doing or not doing about it is only hurting me.  I am choosing not to do anything about it.  My choice.  I could easily sit back and say that it is because of my rotten childhood and a bad marriage and 3 miscarriages and losing my dad at a very young age but it is none of these things that puts the wrong food in my mouth, it is me.  None of these things makes me sit on the couch and not be doing something to help myself, it is me.  If it is because of anything that I went through, again it is me that is not doing something to get past the issues.  Stop blaming others and take control of your life.  Grim reality is, I need to practice what I preach, but at least I am not blaming everyone else.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last