Message Boards

Topic : Obesity

Number of Replies: 1371
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:33:24 pm
Author : dataimport
Obesity is a medical disorder that can be treated, but sometimes society doesn't look upon the obese with compassion. Find support and understanding here as you or those you love cope with obesity.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 14, 2005, 5:31 am CDT

Obesity

Quote From: vanessa1

Hi everyone,  Maybe someone out there can inspire me a little to start losing weight! I would love to be a part of Dr Phils weight loss challenge and bet I could really give some of them a run for their money, but it is very difficult trying to lose weight on your own - so a little advice would be great.  My husband also needs to lose weight, but he looooves his food!  My baby is 9 and a half months old and while I was pregnant with her I went to gym and ate healthy food, but now just munch on anything I can get my paws on!  I now weigh 95kg's! 

No one can inspire you to start.  If it is so difficult to lose weight why do you think you could do it as part of the challenge?  Do it for yourself, you are worth it.  I am sure that you daughter thinks so.  You did what it took when you were pregnant, if you care about yourself you should be able to do it for you.  Your daughter needs you to be health now, after she is born is still important.  Respect yourself and your needs. 

October 14, 2005, 7:17 am CDT

I thought this was a support board?

Quote From: sheilas

Maybe your problem is that you are trying to hide the problem instead of tackling it.  You have to get rid of or deal with the problems in your life or the weight will not stay off this time either.  The problem isn't the weight.  I can't believe your comment that you would rather be an alcoholic or drug addict.  Are you belittling their pain and struggling, like the only one having a hard time in the world is you.  Get over yourself. 

I though tthis would be the one place were I could be safe and just let my feelings out and be honest. I quess now I have to justify my comments. I have gone to counseling for many years for my issuses of being molested as a child and being physically abused by my father. I grew up in poverty and somtimes did not know where my nexr meal was coming from.And as far as addiction goes, I have lived my whole life with substance abusers. My husband of 14 yrs. has gone to treatment 4 times We have been to hell and back. I have 2 brothers who I love dearly and have lost nights crying for them one is a Heroin user and the one an alcoholic. My mother and I have just found a bond that has not been there in yrs. because of her gamblling and alcohol addictions. Yes, I know I hide behind food and I can name some main reasons like my daughter drowing at five yrs. old, being moleseted as beat as a child.trying to raise three teenagers basicly alone. But I do not think that I have to justify my honest feelings that at the time were real for me. I barely trust anyone because of the fear of rejection or judgment and now I realize that choosing to post here was a mistake.

October 14, 2005, 8:51 am CDT

Each Day is a New Beginning

Quote From: sherinpa

this is my first time writeing here  

i really need a friend who is going throug what i am  

being 290 pounds is so hard  

i have really good days and then really bad  

i have finally got myself to diet soda and that was hard  

is there anyone who would like to be my partner   

each day is a struggle   

my email is paville3@hotmail.com  

sherinpa  

Hello Sherinpa... I am new here too....  I too have at least 100 to lose. 

I have struggled my entire life with weight.  I am 44 years old, have 3 kids.  two daughters, ages 25 and 17 and I have a son age 4.   I need to be able to chase after this kid!  My knees have osteoarthritis, they ache... I have too much weight on my frame...   yesterday I did great food choices, and today I plan to do the same.... and I am going to add a 20 minute walk at lunch break today.  My body is so out of shape it's pathetic... but day by day... we can do it.  you help yourself,, and God  will do the rest.  

I prayed this morning for strength, courage to heal myself inside and out. 

Have a good food choice day, breathe deep, and take a few steps,,, swing your arms, it feels great. 

let's encourage each other daily.  my email is dimartt@yahoo.com 

hope to hear from you... ! :) 

Teresa, 

Seattle 

October 14, 2005, 10:06 am CDT

support boards and informational boards

So many messages were posted in the past couple of days by those of you crying out for help and support--wondering which way to turn to know how to lose the weight and keep it off. Well, the obesity board is very good for information--learning more about the problems of obesity but often people come to this board seeking a support group. Please come to one of the boards designed for that type of support. There are many, many such boards on this website designed to help you get started, to keep going, and to keep the weight off.

First, if you do not yet have Dr. Phil's book called "The Ultimate Weight Solution" then get it and read it over and over again, working through the questionnaires as you go. It will outline the type of food to choose, the amount of exercise that can help you and the other 5 keys to PERMANENT weight loss. Yes, food and exercise are only two of the five facets of losing the weight and keeping it off!

Second (and you do not have to finish the book to start in on these next steps), plan ONE healthy meal, then another and another until you have 3 meals planned and then do the same to plan for 2 healthy snacks--you now will have one day's healthy foods.

Third, move a little more today than you did yesterday--even if you are wheelchair-bound, you can lift your arms holding small weights or full cans of veggies. No matter what your health level, you can move SOMETHING a little more than yesterday.

Fourth, get involved in a support board here online. First go up to the top and click on "Message Boards". Then scroll down to the heading "WEIGHT" and under that you will find "Weight Loss Challenge Discussions". Click on that topic and you will find the numerous support groups. Some are based on amount of  weight you want to lose, some on age, some on lifestyle, etc.

My own personal support group is one called "200 pounds or more to lose"; I started with exactly that amount to lose and find that group understands the special challenges we share that are so different from those of people with only 30 or 50 lb. to lose. We will be on the weight-LOSS part of the program for several years before we reach our "get real" weight; others with less to lose will be thin much sooner and will get the positive feedback from society right away. Our board has people who started with much more than 200 lb. to lose and many are nearing their goal now; some are just beginning. We have success stories of members who were bedridden when they started, unable to walk, and with starting weights in the 300s, 400s, and 500s and ALL are able to make progress and succeed. They are truly inspirational! We have several people on our board who have less than 200 lb. to lose--maybe 100 or 150 lb.--but they, too, will be at this a long time and are welcome to join us. We are mostly women but have a few guys on our board too--all are welcome. The only rules our board has are to treat each member with respect and courtesy and no profanity.

So no matter how much you need to lose or what your own special challenges are, please try out a few boards until you find one you are comfortable with. Then read the posts daily and post a "hello" each day too, sharing your challenges and successes. That way the group can help you and you can help others on your board. Having one or two e-mail buddies or even face-to-face buddies for your weight-loss journey are fine, but if they drop out then your support is gone. By getting involved in a support board TOO you will have that support 24/7 throughout your entire journey. Yes, some individual members may come and go occasionally, but the board as a whole is still there for you.

So I hope those of you who are looking for help in losing weight will take these steps to get started. You CAN do it--we all can. And it is so much better to do it together with other people who share the same problems and challenges you do. I hope to see some of you join our 200+ board. We all started out frustrated and looking for help the same way you are now, which is why I periodically go "fishing" on the informational boards to give people directions on where to go for the REAL help and support we all need.

Have a great day and remember, as Dr. Phil says, TODAY CAN BE A CHANGING DAY IN YOUR LIFE!

Cherie

October 14, 2005, 4:42 pm CDT

ladybugzz!!

Quote From: ladybugzz

I though tthis would be the one place were I could be safe and just let my feelings out and be honest. I quess now I have to justify my comments. I have gone to counseling for many years for my issuses of being molested as a child and being physically abused by my father. I grew up in poverty and somtimes did not know where my nexr meal was coming from.And as far as addiction goes, I have lived my whole life with substance abusers. My husband of 14 yrs. has gone to treatment 4 times We have been to hell and back. I have 2 brothers who I love dearly and have lost nights crying for them one is a Heroin user and the one an alcoholic. My mother and I have just found a bond that has not been there in yrs. because of her gamblling and alcohol addictions. Yes, I know I hide behind food and I can name some main reasons like my daughter drowing at five yrs. old, being moleseted as beat as a child.trying to raise three teenagers basicly alone. But I do not think that I have to justify my honest feelings that at the time were real for me. I barely trust anyone because of the fear of rejection or judgment and now I realize that choosing to post here was a mistake.

I am SO sorry for the VERY rude comments that were posted  to you in response to your posting. PLEASE do not let one horrible response make you feel like everyone else out there is like that individual.  I know it is so hard to finally get the nerve up to post and  then to have that kind of response  is such a horrible feeling.  PLEASE don't go away from this board. There are many people out there who want to help and REALLY do care. You never know, the postings that you leave may make the world of difference to someone out there who is  reading it.  We all have our stories. We all have our struggles. We need to support one another and not tear each other down. I am so sorry that you have been hurt and I don't blame you for not wanting to come back but I do hope that you  will. PLEASE! 

Email me if you'd like to.  My name is Krista and you can reach me at krista1234@shaw.ca 

Have a wonderful day.  

October 14, 2005, 4:50 pm CDT

BACK OFF!

Quote From: sheilas

Maybe your problem is that you are trying to hide the problem instead of tackling it.  You have to get rid of or deal with the problems in your life or the weight will not stay off this time either.  The problem isn't the weight.  I can't believe your comment that you would rather be an alcoholic or drug addict.  Are you belittling their pain and struggling, like the only one having a hard time in the world is you.  Get over yourself. 

I think that people who attempt to  reach out to others for support need to be welcomed  and supported and not chastized  by someone like you.  I suspect that the person who needs to "get over themself" is in fact YOU!   You don't know what these people think or feel by reading a few sentences that they have posted. There is so much more to them and the lives they have lived than the few words on this message board. Maybe you should ask a few questions and offer some REAL support and understanding before  passing judgements on others.

October 14, 2005, 6:12 pm CDT

Thank you for the suppport!

Quote From: krista1234

I am SO sorry for the VERY rude comments that were posted  to you in response to your posting. PLEASE do not let one horrible response make you feel like everyone else out there is like that individual.  I know it is so hard to finally get the nerve up to post and  then to have that kind of response  is such a horrible feeling.  PLEASE don't go away from this board. There are many people out there who want to help and REALLY do care. You never know, the postings that you leave may make the world of difference to someone out there who is  reading it.  We all have our stories. We all have our struggles. We need to support one another and not tear each other down. I am so sorry that you have been hurt and I don't blame you for not wanting to come back but I do hope that you  will. PLEASE! 

Email me if you'd like to.  My name is Krista and you can reach me at krista1234@shaw.ca 

Have a wonderful day.  

Thank you for your kind words I reallly do appreciate it. You would think that I would have a thicker skin that I do. I am not going to give up on this board. I do not give up easy in my life no matter what. I believe the trials in life do make you stronger and want to overcome any hurdles that come along. In my daily life with people I act confident and strong and do not let my guard down. I just want to find a place were I can do that.So again THANK YOU!!

October 17, 2005, 9:27 am CDT

WOW is all I can say at the moment but---

I don't know what made me jump to this board today.    I dont come here much anymore as most of the WLC boards are now inactive.   I have an online group that is still here that we formed in 2003 when Dr. Phil started his WLC.    We still have a good core membership and are still supporting each other.   

It seems after reading through this board that there is still a hugh need for more online support.  Helpful support-soft places to fall-and loving people.   I personally have lost 97 pounds (hit the 100 pound but gained a few over the summer) to date and now am going to concentrate on the next 50 pounds of my journey.   It's been up and down, but overall a wonderful trip.  I've met great (and not so great people), learned so much about myself, and learned that this works. 

Not only have I lost this weight but my husband while not even knowing what was going on also lost 60 pounds.  We both are healthier.  I no longer have to worry about getting knee replacement (maybe sometime but not in the near future),  take lots less medications (sure saves on the wallet) and am happier than I've been in years.    

Please keep coming and asking for help.   If you are interested in my group or even in how to get one of your own started email me at Pistolgranny@Yahoo.com. 

Asking for help then looking for it is just the beginning. 

Blessings, 

Char 

October 17, 2005, 11:31 am CDT

You are so right, Char

Quote From: littlepist

I don't know what made me jump to this board today.    I dont come here much anymore as most of the WLC boards are now inactive.   I have an online group that is still here that we formed in 2003 when Dr. Phil started his WLC.    We still have a good core membership and are still supporting each other.   

It seems after reading through this board that there is still a hugh need for more online support.  Helpful support-soft places to fall-and loving people.   I personally have lost 97 pounds (hit the 100 pound but gained a few over the summer) to date and now am going to concentrate on the next 50 pounds of my journey.   It's been up and down, but overall a wonderful trip.  I've met great (and not so great people), learned so much about myself, and learned that this works. 

Not only have I lost this weight but my husband while not even knowing what was going on also lost 60 pounds.  We both are healthier.  I no longer have to worry about getting knee replacement (maybe sometime but not in the near future),  take lots less medications (sure saves on the wallet) and am happier than I've been in years.    

Please keep coming and asking for help.   If you are interested in my group or even in how to get one of your own started email me at Pistolgranny@Yahoo.com. 

Asking for help then looking for it is just the beginning. 

Blessings, 

Char 

I, too, am a member of a very successful support gruop here online. There is still a huge need for that soft place to fall while we are on the weight-loss journey to our get-real goal weight. I'm on another online group here and many of our members have lost 100, 150 and 200 pounds. It DOES work and we do become so much healthier--physically AND psychologically.

There are still many support groups online here under the WEIGHT topic of "Weight Loss Challenge Discussions". It just takes a little exploration and trying some on to find one that fits. Or, as you said, if one doesn't fit, it is possible to start a new group too.

I wish you continued good progress on your journey, Char. As you said, THIS DOES WORK--and we are living proof that we can do it TOGETHER.

Cherie

October 18, 2005, 9:38 am CDT

Making progress

We got the trailer yesterday and will start loading it today. Then tomorrow morning my DH goes in to the hospital for his heart procedure which means I will be there too--waiting to see how he makes out. I do hope they can get his heart beating regularly. It's called cardioversion and is shock therapy--the anesthesiologist will put him out first, which is good as I understand it is painful and he is pretty nervous about it. So am I, to say the least.

At least I won't be home around food all day. And we will list our house on Thursday after the major part of our STUFF is out of the house and I can give it a final cleaning. I am excited to get moved--to get on the road. And excited to actually start in on this new lifestyle for both of us.

It is hard to stay focused, but I continue to work on it. I will be offline soon and don't know if I can access the board using my DH's computer. If I just type in my own username and password will it allow me to get on? Or will it know that I'm using a different computer with a different e-mail and reject me? I guess I have not tried to get online using his computer before and I would like to check in while we are on the road--I won't be back online with my own computer until December.

I would think the board would be set up so that we could access it no matter what computer we use or what e-mail we log on under. It seems so very confusing to me.

Have a great day, everybody and I'll talk to you later.

Cherie

p.s. Megan just posted another great recipe on the recipe board--just thought you'd like to know she is still alive and well--just not posting here for the time being.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last