Message Boards

Topic : Obesity

Number of Replies: 1371
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:33:24 pm
Author : dataimport
Obesity is a medical disorder that can be treated, but sometimes society doesn't look upon the obese with compassion. Find support and understanding here as you or those you love cope with obesity.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 18, 2005, 9:43 am CDT

Prepare yourself

Quote From: cheriemont

We got the trailer yesterday and will start loading it today. Then tomorrow morning my DH goes in to the hospital for his heart procedure which means I will be there too--waiting to see how he makes out. I do hope they can get his heart beating regularly. It's called cardioversion and is shock therapy--the anesthesiologist will put him out first, which is good as I understand it is painful and he is pretty nervous about it. So am I, to say the least.

At least I won't be home around food all day. And we will list our house on Thursday after the major part of our STUFF is out of the house and I can give it a final cleaning. I am excited to get moved--to get on the road. And excited to actually start in on this new lifestyle for both of us.

It is hard to stay focused, but I continue to work on it. I will be offline soon and don't know if I can access the board using my DH's computer. If I just type in my own username and password will it allow me to get on? Or will it know that I'm using a different computer with a different e-mail and reject me? I guess I have not tried to get online using his computer before and I would like to check in while we are on the road--I won't be back online with my own computer until December.

I would think the board would be set up so that we could access it no matter what computer we use or what e-mail we log on under. It seems so very confusing to me.

Have a great day, everybody and I'll talk to you later.

Cherie

p.s. Megan just posted another great recipe on the recipe board--just thought you'd like to know she is still alive and well--just not posting here for the time being.

Cherie,

Be sure to take something healthy with you to the hospital - and good stuff to drink too.  That kind of stress and being hungry in a place with vending machines is devastaing for me.

I am new to the boards so I don't know your history but it sure sounds like you have Wayyyy too much on your life-plate right now. 

Don't worry about getting online.  The computer you use doesn't matter.  Just go to www.drphil.com and login.   You'll be fine.

Be sure to take care of yourself while you are taking care of everyone and everything else!

Lois

October 18, 2005, 2:30 pm CDT

Climb every mountain

It's a good song but doesn't tell about the bruised and bloodied hands and knees while pulling oneself up every mountain in life to find the rainbows, not to mention the gravel rash coming down when the rocks come away under your feet.  The overwhelming tiredness that overcomes me everytime I pick myself up and start climbing again is daunting.  Nevertheless the struggle is worth it.  I try and celebrate each mini achievement in my battle against obesity by doing something nice for myself and more importantly I try not to beat myself up because of a backward slide.  But oh my lord isn't it a battle?  Right now I'm struggling and in my minds eye I can see myself on the side of yet another mountain and I'm frozen to the rock unable to move forward and the only sense of relief is that I'm not sliding down that mountain.  When the anxiety comes in the fridge/pantry door opens and the battle begins.  Does the battle ever subside?  Can anyone tell me that?  Or is it with me forever? 

Thinking of all you other mountain climbers out there. 

October 19, 2005, 10:27 am CDT

life

Quote From: newchances

Cherie,

Be sure to take something healthy with you to the hospital - and good stuff to drink too.  That kind of stress and being hungry in a place with vending machines is devastaing for me.

I am new to the boards so I don't know your history but it sure sounds like you have Wayyyy too much on your life-plate right now. 

Don't worry about getting online.  The computer you use doesn't matter.  Just go to www.drphil.com and login.   You'll be fine.

Be sure to take care of yourself while you are taking care of everyone and everything else!

Lois
   I like others  on this board have a weight issue.  Not everything is going to be about mental health, yes it does contribute to alot of issues in our lives, but is not always the problem. I also have depression, I'm on medication and am doing fine now. I have not seen a therapist, the med's did what needed to be done, for me to look at the world in a different way and not be so angry about life. I want my life back. I will get there again, as with all things some take more time than others. My weight is coming off again, and yes I gain and lose. It all boils down to eating less and moving more. This is life style change for myself and my daughter. Healthy mind and body is what it all comes too. Be happy with yourself, don't blame others for your problems. We gave ourselves the problems. No one can do to us what we don't let them do. Take your lives back and the rest will fall in to place. I know that some will disagree and everyone is intitled to their own opinion. The past is the past, it's done and over, Know one can go back in time. It's time I go on with my life and get my life back. There's a world out there and I'm going to see it. Remember this: YOUR LIFE IS YOUR OWN,  no one can take that from you.

October 22, 2005, 4:03 pm CDT

Don't know what to do!

I'm a 41year old mother of three teenagers.  When I got married in 1986 I weighed 65kg.  By the time my daughter was born in 1987 I had gained 50kg.  Now, 12years after my youngest child's birth, I weigh an incredible 130kg.  I've tried everything to loose weight, but nothing seems to happen.  I have alot of health problems, which include asthma, high bloodpressure and other weight related problems.  I really need help, but don't know where to get it! 

Linda from Ellisras in South Africa 

October 23, 2005, 11:45 am CDT

Obese Senior,looking for e-mail Buddy NY

Hi, 

I lived on LI all my life, and moved Upstate NY, in the rural area. I don't have any sidewalks to walk on like I did on L.I. I am trying to go to a small park and walk around there. Hopefully the weather will hold out before the snow starts coming, so that I can get some excercise. Right now I have PMR which is a form of Arthritis and I am on Prednisone and I am gaining more weight from that. 

I was thin all my life, and in my mind I am hearing a little voice telling me to put on weight. This is a problem as I still feel thin, but know I am obese. Hope this doesn't sound like I am crazy, but , I wish I could overcome this in my head. Maybe if I can talk to someone via e-mail we could give each other a boost, and help each other. I don't have any friends to talk to since I moved up here 

neighbors are not too close. Hope someone out there would like to compare notes. 

Hope to hear from you. 

Friday 

October 24, 2005, 8:13 am CDT

Hi Friday and Linda

I'm sure you will find some great support here.  If you want to join some groups you can do a search on Yahoo for Dr. Phil.   I know that next to a live supporr group an online group is wonderful support. 

At the very least, keep coming here to find buddies.  Feel free to email me at anytime.  I know this works as I've lost almost 100 pounds to date.  What a celebration that will be!!    More than anything I have learned good eating/exercise habits that will stay for a lifetime.  My husband also lost 60 along the way.  For someone who used to laugh at my idea of exercise, he now enjoys a bike ride. 

So post away and you can reach me personally at Pistolgranny@Yahoo.com 

Blessings, 

Char 

October 24, 2005, 5:07 pm CDT

Hi Char

Quote From: littlepist

I'm sure you will find some great support here.  If you want to join some groups you can do a search on Yahoo for Dr. Phil.   I know that next to a live supporr group an online group is wonderful support. 

At the very least, keep coming here to find buddies.  Feel free to email me at anytime.  I know this works as I've lost almost 100 pounds to date.  What a celebration that will be!!    More than anything I have learned good eating/exercise habits that will stay for a lifetime.  My husband also lost 60 along the way.  For someone who used to laugh at my idea of exercise, he now enjoys a bike ride. 

So post away and you can reach me personally at Pistolgranny@Yahoo.com 

Blessings, 

Char 

Hi Char, 

So happy for you that you lost all that weight. I think if I ever lost all that I would think I had a new lease on life. 

How long did it take you to lose all that. I know if I could lose I think my husband also, would try to lose some. we both have a long way to go. I guess I should think about losing 10 pounds and then work from there. When you think too much it gets a little depressing. 

Thanks for writing,  

God Bless 

Friday 

October 25, 2005, 5:32 pm CDT

My thyroid

Hello, my name is Jennifer. I am a 31 year old mother of four small children.  When I had my last child, I had my tubes tied.  From there my thyroid went out.  I gained so much weight  in such a small amount of time it was rediculious.  I now weigh 228.  It has taken my doctors 7 months to get my levels in order.  I went to the doctor today for my  blood test results and found out I am where I am supposed to be.  I am currently taking armour thyroid and I am stuck at 228.  I am so depressed.  I was told by my doctor that when I got leveled out my weight would practically fall off.  I am so heavy right now, it hurts to stand and do my house work.  I am so depressed when I see myself, I cry.  I have never been this big before and I don't think I can handle it much longer.  Is there anybody out there with the same problem who can give me some tips and ideas.  To let you know, I am not an overeater.  I barely have an appetite.  I try to walk and exercise but get so tired that I quit.  I try to eat all the right things and nothing works.

October 25, 2005, 10:52 pm CDT

A constant weight

Hi. I am a 17 year old girl and I currently weigh a little over 300 pounds. I hate it and its a constant weight on my self esteem. I have been overweight all my life and I am bombarded by obesity on both sides of my family. Over the years I have tried excercise and watching what I eat but somehow always linger back to the old way of life. I excersiced for a whole summer and lost about 40 pounds but this habit lead into an eating disorder that I have continued to struggle with. Right now I am at the highest weight I have ever been and long to be thinner. Its so hard to get outside and walk...I have tried that.  I live in Oregon and now its rainy, not fun to walk in. I want to get a gym membership that I know I would use but dont know that I can afford it. Ultimatley my mind goes to gastric bypass which I know isnt totally safe and isnt the way out. I look at it though as something that will help to get to where I want to be. I desperatley want this. I want to lose all this weight and feel like I am alive. In this body right now, I am numb and feel like a zombie at times. I dont know, this is always on my mind. Any comments are helpful! 

Sarah 

October 26, 2005, 8:43 am CDT

Thyroid problems

Quote From: ndlamb31

Hello, my name is Jennifer. I am a 31 year old mother of four small children.  When I had my last child, I had my tubes tied.  From there my thyroid went out.  I gained so much weight  in such a small amount of time it was rediculious.  I now weigh 228.  It has taken my doctors 7 months to get my levels in order.  I went to the doctor today for my  blood test results and found out I am where I am supposed to be.  I am currently taking armour thyroid and I am stuck at 228.  I am so depressed.  I was told by my doctor that when I got leveled out my weight would practically fall off.  I am so heavy right now, it hurts to stand and do my house work.  I am so depressed when I see myself, I cry.  I have never been this big before and I don't think I can handle it much longer.  Is there anybody out there with the same problem who can give me some tips and ideas.  To let you know, I am not an overeater.  I barely have an appetite.  I try to walk and exercise but get so tired that I quit.  I try to eat all the right things and nothing works.

Gosh that is a biggy isn't it?    I was told the same thing about 22 years ago, that with the meds level I would lose the weight.  Well I spent 20 years dieting just to try and do that.  I fast ended up fighting to stay between 250-275 as I just could not hit 300.  Seemed death to me.  But diets didn't do much good, I lost and gained several thousand pounds over those years.  And I don't want to even think of the money I spent!! 

But this works.  Take it 10 pounds at a time.  Read that book and do the work.  I lost 80 pounds to start with, kept it off for close to a year as I lost 15 more and now I'm going to get busy and lose the last 50 I need to.  I've proven to myself that it will stayoff with the changes I've made in my lifestyle. 

Char 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last