Message Boards

Topic : Obesity

Number of Replies: 1371
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:33:24 pm
Author : dataimport
Obesity is a medical disorder that can be treated, but sometimes society doesn't look upon the obese with compassion. Find support and understanding here as you or those you love cope with obesity.

Join the new Dr. Phil Community! Currently in BETA, the new Dr. Phil Community will allow you to personalize your message board experience. Start by creating your user profile here.

For help and FAQs on the new BETA Community, please click here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 18, 2009, 6:37 pm CST

weight loss keep it simple

why does phil refuse to keep it simple.   weigh and measure in the kitchen...  eliminate "all" sugar and flour. 

February 27, 2009, 2:05 am CST

Don't Give Up

Quote From: preciousmama

Well I'm almost 22 years old & I've been big all my life. I've always been teased in school because of my weight and it's always gotten to me. About 4 years ago I joined weight watchers and lost 80 pounds...I got done to 240 pounds....the lowest I was since I was a child. But, then I gained it ALL back & then some. At this point in my life I'm the biggest I've ever been. I'm about 200 pounds overweight (yea I might as well say how much I weight since I'm looking for someone to help me or give me advice...I'm 430 pounds right now and I'm 5 foot 8...yea it's pretty damn embarrassing to me). I'm starting to worry about myself and I really don't know what to do anymore with myself *cries* I've tried everything & I DO NOT wanna do any kinda surgery....I wanna lose this weight on my own...I NEED to do this! I work in retail as a cashier and I love the job so much but I've been so many days of work because of server back pain...I don't want to lose my job. My family, friends, and boyfriend are also very concerned about me. Everyday I have to hear a speak of how I need lose this weight and do something about myself. But, they don't understand how hard it is. It's easier said then done and they're aren't as big as I am. I'm only 21! I wanna live my life and I can't....I can't the way I want to!!!!! I need help & I need it NOW! I can't keep putting this off until I have a heart attack or something! I feel like I'm not going to live to see 30 and that's scary. Everytime I go to the doctor my blood pressure is up and I'm scared of getting diabetes because it does run in my family! & I'm told how beautiful I am...but if I only could lose the weight. There's so many things in life I want to do and I can't. I can't even go on rides at an amusement park and I barely fit in the sits at the movies. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to leave my house because I'm worried of what people will think. I want to be able to go out with my boyfriend and be around his friends with no same. I'm just ashamed and disgusted with myself!!! & sometimes I feel like writing to Dr. Phil thinking that maybe he can help me, but I don't want to be on tv and I figure he probably gets millions of letters a day so he'd never read mine. I just really need some help or advice or something. I can't keep being unhappy....this weight is holding me back from living my life the way I want to live it.
Preciousmama, don't give up on yourself, you said you had lost weight before well you CAN do it again. I know how you feel, I am big also and I am 54 and have several health issues. I won't stop trying to lose weight though, I want to be able to go and see my grandchildren play ball and be around for their weddings. I am having a bad spell with sciatica and its hard to get around right now but as soon as I can I will be walking again. I do walk a little but it really hurts with my leg hurting so bad. I don't really care what anyone thinks of me, well maybe my family, and they love me no matter how big I am, you need to do this for your self. I find that keeping a journal of what I eat each day and I have found some really great tips in Womens World magazine, you can get it at most grocery stores. I will close now, but please don't give up on yourself, you sound like a lovely person, and God loves you and will help you!

March 12, 2009, 10:46 am CDT

Obesity

What's the definition of obese?  When people look at me most wouldn't consider me obese. But according to that dumb BMI index -- I am categorized as obese -- Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.  I would have to lose at least 35-40 pounds to put me in the normal range -- if I did that I would look sickly. What do you consider obese? 

I'm not on any diet plans yet, but for the last four months I've been eating  a lot healthier and taking a lot of supplements. Weight is coming off slowly and I'm happy.

March 21, 2009, 10:14 pm CDT

obesity

I'm 24yrs old. and i am way over weight. I'm 5'4" and i weigh more then what i have ever weighed 194.7lbs. it sucks, i have always been over weight but in high school i just made myself lose weight by either......and now i just can't lose weight it seems to be harder then ever. now i wish i could go back to my old methods. i am reminded everyday that i am big and fat because there is always comments, such as, you eat a whole lot more then me, or don't you think you need to lose weight. i try to play it cool by saying no I am happy with myself but i know I'm not but other times i believe the lies that i tell myself. i weigh myself everyday sometimes twice a day i even hide the scales in my bedroom. it is hard for me to find time to work  out, but i don't think that i will ever lose weight or be skinny but i will try any means possible.

April 16, 2009, 3:57 pm CDT

What to do??

I am 25 years old and growing up i was always thin and in good shape but when i got pregnant i gained alot of weight and after having my son i gained more weight due to depression.  i am 5'2 and weigh 215lbs and that is the most i've every weighed and for my height i am obese.  I joined a gym and started working out and i've really been trying to change my eating habits. i've been at it for 2 months now and feel that there is more i should be doing to lose weight.  my biggest problem is eating right some days i do good and some days i do pretty bad. not sure what to do about my urges to eat such unhealthy food, any good tips would be greatly appreciated.

April 20, 2009, 10:41 am CDT

Does anyone have an answer??????

Hi all,

I am from Australia and struggle with my weight. I have replied to a few messages thus far, but I now have a question. First a bit of background. I started gaining weight when I met the man who is now my ex.

Now to the question: Is there a disorder that is the opposite to Anorexia?

I eat even when I'm not hungry. I have eaten all of the wrong types of food for over 22 years, I can feel the effects its having over my body, and I am scared that I may not have long to live. I have 2 children and I'm a single mother. I feel very similar to what I have heard people with Anorexia say. I feel like I cant stop this train, nothing I do or feel can stop this. I can eat a plate of vegetables, but I feel that its all too late. I have tried heaps of things to lose weight but I don't stay with it, I've even joined gyms but don't go for very long, I just cant seem to dig my way out of this. Can you relate to this, I know this may not make sense, but I have tried to verbalize what I'm wanting to say.

Anyway thanks for listening

xoxo

April 29, 2009, 10:57 pm CDT

Obesity

Hi everyone.  Obesity is a symptom of my eating pattern, too.  I learned that it is a symptom, not a disease itself.  But I am a food addict.  I obsessively consume caffeine, refined carbohydrates, high fat foods, and processed foods unless I abstain from all of it, all sugars, all flours, animal fats and anything that has those ingredients.  And that's just the food part.  The food part became the easy part as I learned how to plan, prepare and measure just the right amounts of the right foods.   I am also working a 12 step program and am under the guidance of a pioneer in the field of food addiction, Kay Sheppard.  The scientists are catching up to her work.  Look at foodaddiction.org for links to a scientific summit that was in Washington state last weekend.  Look for kaysheppard.com for help with food addiction.

April 29, 2009, 11:04 pm CDT

The help you seek

Quote From: lloja001

Hi all,

I am from Australia and struggle with my weight. I have replied to a few messages thus far, but I now have a question. First a bit of background. I started gaining weight when I met the man who is now my ex.

Now to the question: Is there a disorder that is the opposite to Anorexia?

I eat even when I'm not hungry. I have eaten all of the wrong types of food for over 22 years, I can feel the effects its having over my body, and I am scared that I may not have long to live. I have 2 children and I'm a single mother. I feel very similar to what I have heard people with Anorexia say. I feel like I cant stop this train, nothing I do or feel can stop this. I can eat a plate of vegetables, but I feel that its all too late. I have tried heaps of things to lose weight but I don't stay with it, I've even joined gyms but don't go for very long, I just cant seem to dig my way out of this. Can you relate to this, I know this may not make sense, but I have tried to verbalize what I'm wanting to say.

Anyway thanks for listening

xoxo

Hi Dear,

Yes, the answer from my research and my own experience, and the experience of thousands of others is Food Addiction.  Kay Sheppard is the pioneer in the field of treatment for food addiction.  You can find her at kaysheppard.com.  Start out reading from her website, get her book From the First Bite, and become a member of the on-line community called the Loop on Yahoo!  Find a 12-Step support group and work Kay's program with the 12 Steps.  It's the last resort, and it's the one that will work, if you work it.  Like you said, you feel you may not have long to live.  Fear is your feeling, your present thought is that you are eating yourself to death.  Let's get a positive affirmation going right now.  Think about it this way "I am learning all I can about the disease of Food Addiction, and I will incorporate it's truths into my knowledge and beliefs and I will find freedom from this horrible disease."

Love,

Wendy

May 13, 2009, 5:52 pm CDT

Keeping it simple

Quote From: twodovers

why does phil refuse to keep it simple.   weigh and measure in the kitchen...  eliminate "all" sugar and flour. 
For some it's not that easy, although I would change your statement to:

Eliminate all REFINED sugars and carbohydrates, and ANY refine foods period! (fruit and vegetables have some sugars in them, and healthy sugars are necessary to be healthy!)

I would challenge those who are trying to lose weight to simply stop eating ANYTHING with corn syrup, and especially high fructose corn syrup, any refined sugars at ALL, and simply eat what grows in the garden!

I'd also get rid of ALL refined fats as well! Instead of eating margarine (I know this isn't popular, but it's true), eat butter, olive oils, etc. Margarine is oils that have had hydrogen bubbled through them, and they become trans fats, which can cause a whole host of health problems, hunger being one of their nasty outcomes, and the food industry knows it... same with "low fat" ice cream, "low fat" yogert, and so many other so-called, "LOW FAT" foods!!! MOST of these have stripped ANY resemblance of naturality out of them and the fats are replaced with carbs which does guess what? Turns into fat in your body!

If it comes in a package, there is probably something not right with it!

If you don't understand exactly what one of the ingredients in the list of ingredients and what it does to your body, then for goodness sake, you are probably not eating food at all!

I will NOT eat roughly 80% of what is in the supermarket, as it is simply chemicalized junk food!

I also do NO eat modified fat foods, such as "low-fat milk", etc., as, opposed to popular belief, your body needs healthy fats and if you eat it as it was meant to be eaten, you'll have FAR less health problems!

Our schools', our health departments' *attempt* at teaching parents and children what a healthy diet is has not worked since the 1970's! The latest low-fat craze has been going on since the 1970's and our society has gotten more and more overweight as a whole!

I think teaching this ought to be a crime! Kids need to eat whole foods, raw foods, whenever possible, and our schools need to provide it for those families who cannot afford a healthy diet!

If you can't afford it, get some garden soil, a few pots, and at least grow a few of your own vegetables, tomatoes and if you have room, even some dwarf fruit trees in barrels or large pots! Go to the Farmer's markets and take the kids! I'd keep kids away from the influence of what is in our grocery stores! The food industry targets kids, as well as those trying to eat healthier with all sorts of garbage, like 100% natural (and it's a bag of bleached, processed beet sugar!?!?!)  which I believe is also criminal.

The magazines with the airbrushed models aren't healthy either!

I'm glad there has been at least a VERY small attempt by a fashion show over in France a couple of years ago to ban any models who were deemed to be under a healthy weight! Thank GOD! someone is getting it, and while the movie and other industries have a LONG way to go to embrace a healthy weight, there have been a small few taking small steps to get rid of the profiles that "thin is better", which is certainly may not be if your body is not built that way!

Be happy in your own body and take care of it! NO matter what your weight, as long as you are healthy at your weight, you may not look like the anorexic, airbrushed to look even skinnier model in the magazines, and you WILL live a much healthier, more productive life because of it!

One has to wonder about the pressures of being so thin and see how many older models are battling cancer. YIKES!

At one time, heavy weight women and men were considered the ideal, as they were thought to be healthier!

It's time to embrace who we are, be happy with who we are, and as long as our body is a healthy one, we will have that to thank for a lot more healthy years!

Keeping it real!

Altmed

June 30, 2009, 11:09 pm CDT

Turners Syndrome and Weight

I am 32 years old 4ft 9inces tall and weigh 263 pound I am on  L-Thyroxine and am my thyroid is normal I try to be active however it is hard being that I am in pain from arthritis and have severe obatructive sleep apnea I have to use a c-pap machine at night so I don't quit breathing in my sleep and have astma is there anything I can do to loose the weight I am so worried about what might happen if I don't loose weight soon I am on medicle and very limited income anyone know what i can do about this

First | Prev | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | Next | Last