Message Boards

Topic : Breaking Unhealthy Habits

Number of Replies: 392
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:29 pm
Author : dataimport
Always have a gallon of ice cream in the freezer? Are chips and soda a staple of your day? Let's break unhealthy eating habits and lose weight together.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 17, 2007, 5:17 pm CDT

Howdy

Quote From: crystal_n

I was wondering if any of you had some yummy easy to make breakfast and lunch ideas. I'm off for the summer and I am the worst cook in the world. I've been eating the same thing everyday for breakfast and it's getting old. Any ideas to spice it up. I eat oatmeal with soy milk or graham crackers with peanut butter. For lunch well usually a turkey sand on wheat. And to all out there keep up the good work. Working out for me isn't the hard part I love to do that. Eating is my downfall. I have a 1 1/2 yr old boy so I stay pretty active and on the go. But like many of you I don't lose. I know eating is where i'm going to have to change. So i've set up a reward system for myself and got a walking buddy. Luckily my cousin just moved in to town so we walk together. I do use www.halfmysize .com and www.weightwatchers.com boards a lot. So i'm hoping to start a new and healthy life. Well thanks in advance for any ideas and keep it up together we can achieve it:)
I like taco salad for lunch. I cut out the cheese to reduce calories. I use leftover  taco meat from the night before, heat it up with some added salsa and add it to packaged iceburg lettuce. Very quick and I love salads. Breakfast I eat Rasin Bran Crunch 1/2 c with 1/2c milk and cut up 1/2 a banana. If I have any black berries I top it with 20.  MB

July 20, 2007, 5:23 pm CDT

Breaking Unhealthy Habits

Quote From: mbsassy

I like taco salad for lunch. I cut out the cheese to reduce calories. I use leftover  taco meat from the night before, heat it up with some added salsa and add it to packaged iceburg lettuce. Very quick and I love salads. Breakfast I eat Rasin Bran Crunch 1/2 c with 1/2c milk and cut up 1/2 a banana. If I have any black berries I top it with 20.  MB

I like the taco salad geez why didn't I think of that. LOL! Do you eat the same cereal everyday? I can't eat the same thing day in and day out. Here lately i've been way off track as well and i'm getting very frustrated at myself. I need to get back to healthy ways. Thanks for the meal ideas.

Crystal

July 20, 2007, 11:21 pm CDT

Happy to help

I like the taco salad geez why didn't I think of that. LOL! Do you eat the same cereal everyday? I can't eat the same thing day in and day out. Here lately i've been way off track as well and i'm getting very frustrated at myself. I need to get back to healthy ways. Thanks for the meal ideas.

Crystal

I really do like that cereal it takes awhile to chew it. Has lots of fiber too. I do a comparison when I'm at the store on cereals if I get to wanting another. I like low fat strawberry yogurt, that works for breakfast with a banana or other fruit. Or my fav is to mix granola in the yogurt. The longer it takes to chew it the more I have tricked my body into thinking it's satisfied. I measure out my food a lot.  My thing on breakfast is I'm a coffee person so I don't really get hungry till 11am, unless of coarse I've been up since 3am and gone out early for my walk run.  I can eat salad everyday for sure. I love ranch dressing (low fat) Also I like turkey wraps with lettuce and tomatoes, yup and ranch dressing. MB

July 22, 2007, 9:09 am CDT

Quote From: mbsassy

I really do like that cereal it takes awhile to chew it. Has lots of fiber too. I do a comparison when I'm at the store on cereals if I get to wanting another. I like low fat strawberry yogurt, that works for breakfast with a banana or other fruit. Or my fav is to mix granola in the yogurt. The longer it takes to chew it the more I have tricked my body into thinking it's satisfied. I measure out my food a lot.  My thing on breakfast is I'm a coffee person so I don't really get hungry till 11am, unless of coarse I've been up since 3am and gone out early for my walk run.  I can eat salad everyday for sure. I love ranch dressing (low fat) Also I like turkey wraps with lettuce and tomatoes, yup and ranch dressing. MB

I forgot about yogurt with granola. I'm on summer break and forgot all about that. When school starts back in August i'll have to remember that one. I usually eat my meals on the go then. Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm not big on salads but that taco salad ideas sounds great. I'm craving it so might have to have that for lunch today! What do you eat for snacks. I've got addicted to graham crackers with peanut butter. It's like a candy bar for me:) Guess it's not the best but not the worst either. Does the lowfat ranch taste the same as ranch? I'm scared to try it. Well thanks for the ideas I greatly appreciate them.

Crystal

July 23, 2007, 6:13 pm CDT

Good to hear from you again

I forgot about yogurt with granola. I'm on summer break and forgot all about that. When school starts back in August i'll have to remember that one. I usually eat my meals on the go then. Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm not big on salads but that taco salad ideas sounds great. I'm craving it so might have to have that for lunch today! What do you eat for snacks. I've got addicted to graham crackers with peanut butter. It's like a candy bar for me:) Guess it's not the best but not the worst either. Does the lowfat ranch taste the same as ranch? I'm scared to try it. Well thanks for the ideas I greatly appreciate them.

Crystal

I love peanut butter on graham crackers also. I'm trying to lose weight so some of the things I eat aren't that tasty. Like low sodium V-8. It's not my fav but it helps with my hunger and is good for me. Another thing is popcorn, most of it has some fat so I get the 97% fat free mini bag that is only 100 calories, for the whole bag.  Now when I first ate it I thought boring I can't taste it. But I have gotten use to it. I get sugar free jello which is 5 calories for 1/2 C.  I think the ranch is just as good if you buy Kraft or Hidden Valley. Kraft makes a low fat three cheese ranch I love..I could eat it on pizza! Today my arms are aching from using the weed eater. I wanted to get out and walk this evening but now I'm just to tired and I have some laundry to catch up on. This weekend I kinda bummed around.  MB

July 24, 2007, 8:32 am CDT

Great Eats.......

Okay, I am going to tell you all a great thing I have discovered. I am on a..... not a diet but a behavioral food program change. I was sure that I was going to have to walk around chewing on carrots and rice cakes day in and day out but I have found a meal replacement bar and cereal that is made by Kashi go lean. They are great! Mucho praise! Thet are nutritious with a good amount of fiber, protien, and a good balance between the carbs and the sugar added. There are different flavors and are really good for you. Also I have learned that there really are ways to eat healthy foods that even your family will love too.

One is my tacos. Now you may say "TACOS?!" But let me explain. If you have read Dr. Phils book (which I strongly recomend) you know that he says to have a protien, 2 vegies and a starch (or a fruit instead). Now here is how you do that.

Whole wheat soft taco shells, x-lean ground beef, half cup salsa (of course check label on salsa), 1 large onion, spices: garlic, basil,and oregano. shredded lettuce, tomatoes(cubed) and low-fat shredded cheese.

combine beef,salsa, onion, and spices, in a large skillet. cook on medium heat until beef is thoroughly cooked, then simmer, covered for 10 minutes.

In the meantime place your taco shells on the plate(s), and add the lettuce, tomato, and cheese.

Place large collander inside a large bowl and drain all grease from beef mixture.

Once drained spoon beef mixture onto taco shells, wrap and serve.

The really great thing is that you cannot stuff too much into the shell and still be able to wrap it up. Serve with a salad made up of whole (uncooked) spinach leaves, tomatoes, carrot strips, and low- fat dressing. very healthy, very filling, and very good. You can also use low-fat sour cream too, just be sparing with any cream product.

E-mail me at christloveeternally@gmail.com with comments. I'd be glad to share some more tips.

Here is wishing you great success with your weight control journey.

Strong mind, strong spirit, strong body, brings strong women (&men)!

July 24, 2007, 9:07 am CDT

Kashi, and Carnation!

I was wondering if any of you had some yummy easy to make breakfast and lunch ideas. I'm off for the summer and I am the worst cook in the world. I've been eating the same thing everyday for breakfast and it's getting old. Any ideas to spice it up. I eat oatmeal with soy milk or graham crackers with peanut butter. For lunch well usually a turkey sand on wheat. And to all out there keep up the good work. Working out for me isn't the hard part I love to do that. Eating is my downfall. I have a 1 1/2 yr old boy so I stay pretty active and on the go. But like many of you I don't lose. I know eating is where i'm going to have to change. So i've set up a reward system for myself and got a walking buddy. Luckily my cousin just moved in to town so we walk together. I do use www.halfmysize .com and www.weightwatchers.com boards a lot. So i'm hoping to start a new and healthy life. Well thanks in advance for any ideas and keep it up together we can achieve it:)

I love kashi-go-lean. they have cereals,and snack bars. I also have found a Carnation breakfast drink that has a ton of vitamins and minerals in it. I do my workouts in the early a.m. and this drink gives me the lift I need, then I have the Kashi bar after for a re-fuel. It is great, especially with the workout.

Or you can go to the frozen foods isle of your local supermarket and buy frozen fruit (not in syrup). I like raspberries, strawberries, and fresh apple slices. You mix it all in a sealable bowl with 1 tablespoon of honey and equal amount of 100% (favorite) juice, shake well, chill and eat with 1 slice of whole grain toast. Or if you are in a hurry, throw that mixture in the blender and drink as you go. Great taste and great helth benefits.

hope this helps.

July 24, 2007, 2:47 pm CDT

Quote From: gofigurethat

Okay, I am going to tell you all a great thing I have discovered. I am on a..... not a diet but a behavioral food program change. I was sure that I was going to have to walk around chewing on carrots and rice cakes day in and day out but I have found a meal replacement bar and cereal that is made by Kashi go lean. They are great! Mucho praise! Thet are nutritious with a good amount of fiber, protien, and a good balance between the carbs and the sugar added. There are different flavors and are really good for you. Also I have learned that there really are ways to eat healthy foods that even your family will love too.

One is my tacos. Now you may say "TACOS?!" But let me explain. If you have read Dr. Phils book (which I strongly recomend) you know that he says to have a protien, 2 vegies and a starch (or a fruit instead). Now here is how you do that.

Whole wheat soft taco shells, x-lean ground beef, half cup salsa (of course check label on salsa), 1 large onion, spices: garlic, basil,and oregano. shredded lettuce, tomatoes(cubed) and low-fat shredded cheese.

combine beef,salsa, onion, and spices, in a large skillet. cook on medium heat until beef is thoroughly cooked, then simmer, covered for 10 minutes.

In the meantime place your taco shells on the plate(s), and add the lettuce, tomato, and cheese.

Place large collander inside a large bowl and drain all grease from beef mixture.

Once drained spoon beef mixture onto taco shells, wrap and serve.

The really great thing is that you cannot stuff too much into the shell and still be able to wrap it up. Serve with a salad made up of whole (uncooked) spinach leaves, tomatoes, carrot strips, and low- fat dressing. very healthy, very filling, and very good. You can also use low-fat sour cream too, just be sparing with any cream product.

E-mail me at christloveeternally@gmail.com with comments. I'd be glad to share some more tips.

Here is wishing you great success with your weight control journey.

Strong mind, strong spirit, strong body, brings strong women (&men)!

Thanks I love taco's. I eat salad almost everyday. I like the iceberg it's so crunchy. I have tried only one Kashi cereal. My family said it was like eating bird seed...sorry but that's really what they said. I couldn't believe that the items my husband and I picked at the health food store the kids hated. I guess the have had the junk food so long they refuse to change.  MB

July 25, 2007, 11:45 am CDT

50 looking 60

I will be turning 50 years old in 8 days, trouble is I look like I'll be 60. I have lost 100 pounds 3 times, never to gain it back. So I have distroyed my skin, all over my body and face. I can hide my body under clothes, my face I have to reveal, even though I have thought of wearing a veil or ski mask to cover all these wrinkles and "TURKEY NECK". I am a perfect candidate for plastic surgery, if only I could afford it. I don't want to look younger than my age (even though that would be a plus) I only want to look my age. I am willing to try anything, even though I have tried everything. The potions and lotions have done all they can do. The only thing that can help is a good doctor with a steady hand that offers discounts since my income is very limited.

July 30, 2007, 5:09 am CDT

Turning Back the Clock...

Quote From: scscarlett

I will be turning 50 years old in 8 days, trouble is I look like I'll be 60. I have lost 100 pounds 3 times, never to gain it back. So I have distroyed my skin, all over my body and face. I can hide my body under clothes, my face I have to reveal, even though I have thought of wearing a veil or ski mask to cover all these wrinkles and "TURKEY NECK". I am a perfect candidate for plastic surgery, if only I could afford it. I don't want to look younger than my age (even though that would be a plus) I only want to look my age. I am willing to try anything, even though I have tried everything. The potions and lotions have done all they can do. The only thing that can help is a good doctor with a steady hand that offers discounts since my income is very limited.

I hear your frustration SCScarlett...  My problem is cellulite.  I am 47 years old and have been battling thunder thighs since I was 13.  Years of yoyo dieting have made the fat pockets on the sides of my upper thighs permanent.  I have tried low fat dieting, low carb, cardio exercise, running, strength training, etc., etc., etc...  I have figured out over the years the type of clothing I need to wear to camouflage myself.  My swim suit looks like a shorts outfit.  My husband fusses that I don't show more of myself but that's not going to happen.  I dream of liposuction but won't spend the money as I have a young son who's future must come first.  Plastic surgery is the only option but...  I wonder how much better my life would actually be if I would have surgery.  If I would decide to strain our family budget I could only afford to have the lipo on my upper legs. Would I be satisfied with that?  How badly would my other defects stand out?

I understand my problems aren't on the same level as yours, but the truth is, there is no other RX than plastic surgery.  It sounds like you would benefit from it.  How committed could you be to paying for it?  Do reliable plastic surgeons do financing?  Wouldn't an interest free financing deal be amazing??  Could you make payments if you borrowed money?

If you absolutely cannot afford  surgery maybe you need to change your attitude toward yourself when you look in a mirror.  I know when I've gained weight I can avoid seeing myself as if mirrors don't exist.  Can you start seeing  you, looking past your physical self', to  the warm, caring person, that you must be.  You must feel wonderful when you put on an outfit that compliments you well.  Perhaps those are your options now...?

First | Prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | Next | Last