Message Boards

Topic : Breaking Unhealthy Habits

Number of Replies: 392
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:29 pm
Author : dataimport
Always have a gallon of ice cream in the freezer? Are chips and soda a staple of your day? Let's break unhealthy eating habits and lose weight together.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 3, 2007, 1:46 pm CDT

Breaking Unhealthy Habits

Thanks for the poem ritehere.  I have downloaded a copy for my brother.

Shayna22

November 4, 2007, 5:44 am CST

Feeders...

Quote From: shayna22

2. putting yourself first when it comes to your goals
3. pinpointing what it was that sent you back to your old shape and size

It has been quite a while since I recognized these issues for me:  I want to thank you for pinpointing them in your statement because it reminds me that others are not responsible for my misbehavior in caring for myself.
    I don't know about you, but I can be my own best friend in private (a big accomplishment); however,  in public I dare not state that there is nothing on the menu ....nor do I bring something along.  I guess I am still denying that I have to take care of myself.. Weight watchers gave me two montras that work in restaurants: A) poor water on the bread on your plate B) bring me tomato juice and lemon instead of butter for my lobster.

My biggest problem now is when we have family events; my hostesses too often do not put out foods that work for me.   Portion control just doesn't apply when you are hungry... (btw- I do eat before attending family events and I recently started to bring mushroom stuffed eggwhites.) It is not enough to help me meet my personal goals. The "oh try it; it won't hurt you" or "diet when you are home" sabotages me.  I don't like fulling the needs of others when it underminds me, but somehow I fall into the trap.

HELP
Shayn22
 I know the trap of "just one won't hurt" and "oh try it" and "come on, I made it just for you!"
I once had to say in public that yes, this once WILL hurt me, and that they must have had somebody else in mind when they made it because I've told everybody that I'm on a diet and "that's not on my menu."
I was afraid the other person would take serious offense, but I did it anyway because not to would have been caving in yet again. (This person was notorious for noticing EVERY pound that I gained and commenting on it, but turning around and pushing sweets etc.)
As it turns out, this person dropped the matter and never pushed food again.
What you fear as a reaction from others to your stand usually never happens. And if it did, if this person had got mad, so what?  My health, self confidence, and self image are far more important than someone else's inaccurate perceptions. That's their problem to overcome, not mine.
Oh, and the old "diet at home" thing, tell them if you were home right now you'd not only be avoiding food but working out! So thanks for the break!

November 4, 2007, 5:44 am CST

Poem?

Quote From: shayna22

Thanks for the poem ritehere.  I have downloaded a copy for my brother.

Shayna22
 What poem?

April 2, 2008, 7:54 pm CDT

Compulsive over eating

I am writing in response to a segment about a man who is so morbidly obese that he can't get off the bed without his wife's help or travel in a car without a special space.  I admire the courage and humility this man showed by asking for help on international television.  He showed immense commitment to change his life by just making it to the studio.

He has expressed regret for the damage he has inflicted on his body, his family and his own happiness.  This man knows that what he eats will cause him to put on weight and yet he is powerless over food, he can't say no.  I am powerless over food myself.  Through Overeaters Anonymous I have  a supportive network of abstinate eaters to help me see the nature of my addiction.  I have admitted to God and another human being that I am powerless over food. 

The nutritionist on the show told him to take responsibility.  I felt that he did take responsibility by asking for help and expressing regret.  Sometimes, it is easier said than done.  I encourage anyone who eats even when they are full, anyone who can eat a whole packet of tim tams in one sitting (before you realise it) to go to www.overeaters.com to find your nearest meeting.  Listen to the stories of recovering overeaters.  See if you identify with others' journeys.  I have found OA to be a great support network for my compuslive over eating.  While I don't have perfect abstinance yet, I am much better and more aware than I used to be.  I also have a higher power as I understand her to give me guidance and strength.

I hope that the man I am refering to will somehow hear the message that OA has to offer.  I am confident that OA will help him learn the emotional motivations behind his eating because, until he acknowledges his feelings and admits that he is powerless over food, he will continue to over eat and continue to be unhappy.  The emphasis of OA is not on weight loss and temporary diets, but peace, joy and abstinance from compulsive over eating by following a food plan and not eating the foods that trigger a binge.

April 11, 2008, 3:38 pm CDT

Making healthly habits and good choices

I have lost 28 lbs over the last 11 weeks, one I am motivated to do it for myself because I am worth it.

The second reason is I picked a program that is a lifestyle change, I still go out to dinner 3-4 times a week and out to lunch 2-3 time a week, I eat breakfast at a dinner on my two days off.

The third reason I never have to deprive myself of the foods or drinks I want, I just need to plan and control portions.

The last reason is I got my a** off the couch the last 4 weeks and hit the gym.

I feel great, I am looking better, and have zero desire to ever let myself go again....... If there is something that I know I can't handle I avoid it.  If I am stressed I address it and stay out of the kitchen until I am in control of my thoughts and emotions.  It is an enlightening experience to realize that you are the only person that control what you weight. "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS" 

It will be great to reach my goal weight but it well be enjoyable to maintain that weight.

April 14, 2008, 3:41 am CDT

Breaking Unhealthy Habits

Quote From: iamkim

I have lost 28 lbs over the last 11 weeks, one I am motivated to do it for myself because I am worth it.

The second reason is I picked a program that is a lifestyle change, I still go out to dinner 3-4 times a week and out to lunch 2-3 time a week, I eat breakfast at a dinner on my two days off.

The third reason I never have to deprive myself of the foods or drinks I want, I just need to plan and control portions.

The last reason is I got my a** off the couch the last 4 weeks and hit the gym.

I feel great, I am looking better, and have zero desire to ever let myself go again....... If there is something that I know I can't handle I avoid it.  If I am stressed I address it and stay out of the kitchen until I am in control of my thoughts and emotions.  It is an enlightening experience to realize that you are the only person that control what you weight. "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS" 

It will be great to reach my goal weight but it well be enjoyable to maintain that weight.

When did you read the book? Did it give you a fresh new approach to weight loss? The first time I read the book. I could not believe how easy it was for me to feel in control. For me when I read in the book that I did not have eat perfect 24 hours a day it took so much pressure off the process. I never heard that before about weight loss. After dieting for 30+ years I had brainwashed my self into so many limiting thoughts that were so restrictive I was always setting my self up for failure every time.

Denise

September 8, 2008, 3:29 pm CDT

my unhealthy habit

My unhealthy  habit is due to the hours that I work everyday. When I am not working I eat at the appropriate time and for the most part the best food possible. There are days that I do have a chocolate bar or chips but that is usually few and far between. My biggest problem is eating and then going to bed shortly after. I though i had broke my self from this habit a year ago but it seems to creep back in to my life. I am a Chef by trade and my hours especially on weekends are crazy and when I am working around food all day having a meal is not on my list of things that I really want to do. Often times I am so busy serving food that I feed my self last.  So that means that at 11pm when I get home I often eat supper and stay up for about 4 hours and then it is off to bed so i can start another day.  I had lost 30 lbs last year but at least half of that has come back and i really needed to lose another 35lbs plus the 15lbs.

I know I need to change this habit but it is hard. If any one is in the cooking trade I would love some advice.

September 11, 2008, 3:06 pm CDT

weight loss challenge

Dr. PHil.

It is so great that you help these people, weight loss is so hard.  The couples idea is great because I believe that we all need someone.  I haven't stopped crying. I only wish that i could help myself that way but I do not have the courage to help myself.  I have been overweight most of my life I am 55 and just want to give up. I gave up a wonderful job and now I am alone all day and cannot do anything anymore. I was  so moved by the people on this show, the brothers, the twins, the roommates, so great to see people helping one another. I have learned that  helping and being helped is the greatest part of being alive. Thank you again for this challenge as eating well and exercise is the best way to improve your life.

September 11, 2008, 7:38 pm CDT

Friend in New Zealand

Quote From: linmaree

I have just now registered onto Dr. Phil's web site and about to start my weight loss journey.  I was interested to read on this board that Weight Watchers success soon turned to failure.........I can vouch for that, and yet I am about to start it again, but this time with Dr. Phil's book in my right hand to help me along.  My profile tells you of my health concerns.........I would love to chat with anyone, but it would be nice to get a buddy from New Zealand too.

I have a good friend from New Zealand here in Maryland. She is always wanted a buddy from there. I will send her your way, perhaps you may even know each other! Good Luck! And I will chat with you! I am new to this place and I love Dr. Phil tremendously, He in his books have helped me and my marriage. I need to still get his new book for my collection. I think he is hot and my fellow peers think I am crazy! Anyway-

I am starting my "Weight loss trials" again and I hope I can keep mind straight this time. I have 2 young boys and Its hard to make healthy choices as we have baseball practice, soccer and scout nights. Why is it easier to cook crap than healthy? I wish I could run in and whip up a quick KID FRIENDLY healthy dinner.  Sounds to good to be true -eh? I guess that would just be lazyness and  that is the reason. I am going to try to put my weekly menus together and plan that way. Last minute isnt working. Another thing with that is when we do get home from the activities, dinner I do make, ends up being done around 8:00- homework, or showers and bed. I would love to have dinner @ 6pm and close the kitchen after for the night.

I guess I have a lot of things to work on , if it was just me, I could probably stay strong... But the WHOLE family needs to lose weight, together, the right way.

Thanks for listening~

September 12, 2008, 4:32 am CDT

Time to be real

Have never participated in a message board. I watched the weight loss challenge shows last night (I had recorded them). I have been one on a rollercoaster weight ride for years. I work with a counselor now to address my issues and problems as they arrise. And I know where my overeating stems from. Through the years I have eaten my emotions and feelings. When there has been no other satisfaction to my life, I have found it with food. I take responsibility for that and I really desire deep in my heart and soul to start taking care of me. For myself and no one else. I would like a pal to maybe encourage and talk with along the way, who could also do the same for me. I'm a 47 year old lady and my desire is to lose 103 pounds. Friends I have told that, say no way, but they don't know my actual weight which is 233 pounds and on a 5'1" tall frame that is a lot to bear.  My husband has always been thin, and got on the scales last week, and complained that he had reached 153 pounds.  I told him I would be ecstatic to weigh that. Anyways, if you would like a pal to go on this journey with, please let me know.

First | Prev | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | Next | Last