Message Boards

Topic : Breaking Unhealthy Habits

Number of Replies: 392
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:29 pm
Author : dataimport
Always have a gallon of ice cream in the freezer? Are chips and soda a staple of your day? Let's break unhealthy eating habits and lose weight together.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 22, 2005, 8:23 pm CST

aged 53 and gaining with exercise

can anyone help with weight gain suggestions for losing when I can run 4 miles in about 48 minutes, do 20 sit-ups easily and lift weights regularly. It seems the more I exercise the more I eat the more weight I gain. I love food and have never had a problem until starting antidepressants, and anti-anxiety drugs

December 23, 2005, 8:44 am CST

Sorry I can't give any advice on this.

Quote From: glori52

can anyone help with weight gain suggestions for losing when I can run 4 miles in about 48 minutes, do 20 sit-ups easily and lift weights regularly. It seems the more I exercise the more I eat the more weight I gain. I love food and have never had a problem until starting antidepressants, and anti-anxiety drugs
 Have you tried making an appointment with a bariatrics doctor to find out what's going on? Or looked into alternatives for the meds you're on? This is interesting, and since I'm close to your age (49) I'd be interested to know what you find out. Good luck.

December 27, 2005, 11:36 am CST

End of the week post

Well, I maintained last week. Which for me is a first I believe. I'm actually proud of myself. We went to my daughters house for the day, and there was every type of cookie imaginable, in addition to candy, cake, pretzels, pop, chips, dips.... you name it, it was there buffet style all day.
It was gorgeous out, 72 degrees, sunny, no wind. (Amazing for this part of the country!) So I took advantage of it and was outside all afternoon with the kids playing volleyball etc. I had two cookies over the day, and bigger portions of dinner than I usually allow myself, but you can't say no to everything all of the time. If you do, you set yoursef up for failure. I've learned that you must learn to control your splurges though, and don't fall off the wagon and binge because you had one thing. Now it's back to business as usual.
I realize that I gained back the pounds I had lost just before Thanksgiving, so I can't really say that I haven't gained ANY weight during the holidays. But I'm no heavier this year, than I was before the traditional eating holidays, and that's a first. Next year I'll use this as a lesson, and build on it.

January 2, 2006, 12:09 pm CST

My eating

Hello, 

I am new to this site.  I am not new however to the extra pounds on my body.  Well, it is a new year and I will make eating changes. Jewels 

January 2, 2006, 5:27 pm CST

Sick and tired of being fat

Hi!  First time posting a message.  looking for someone to share with.  I'm a 35 year old stay at home mother of 4 I have always been overweight 95lbs in grade 3, 250 in gr. 10 lost some of that weight back then I was 180 when I met my husband in 94  four kids and a stroke later i'm at 240lbs  been there for 3 and half years now . won't gain anymore i've tested that theory. But it doesn't want to come off either .  Can't get motivated anymore.  For as long as I can remember this has been a problem. I'm getting sick and tired of constantly failing and thinking of the weight. Anyone have some advice??  I'm open to anybody  especially anybody with similarities.

January 3, 2006, 6:19 am CST

Exercise is NOT a four letter word

Quote From: starr6

Hi!  First time posting a message.  looking for someone to share with.  I'm a 35 year old stay at home mother of 4 I have always been overweight 95lbs in grade 3, 250 in gr. 10 lost some of that weight back then I was 180 when I met my husband in 94  four kids and a stroke later i'm at 240lbs  been there for 3 and half years now . won't gain anymore i've tested that theory. But it doesn't want to come off either .  Can't get motivated anymore.  For as long as I can remember this has been a problem. I'm getting sick and tired of constantly failing and thinking of the weight. Anyone have some advice??  I'm open to anybody  especially anybody with similarities.

I think you focus too much on the weight, the number and not your heart.  I suggest getting a heart rate monitor, finding out what your maximum heart rate is allowed to be, since you are 35 and have had a stroke talk to your doctor or a registered trainer.  Once you know that, go for a walk everyday.  Find out what gets your heart to maximum, what it takes to lower it appropriately after a workout, let's say, how long it takes for your heart to reach resting, and work to improve it. 

What I believe you should be looking for is a change in your heart rate, at rest and during and after your workout. 

What you want is  a lower resting heart rate, that it takes longer and more difficult workouts to raise it close to maximum rate, and a much quicker time after workout it takes to lower it back to resting rate. 

Or, use the "How Do I Feel?" Gauge.   From 1 - 10 measure how you feel when you work out.  1 being I'm sitting down and I picked up the remote, and 10 being I can't anymore, I think I'm going to be sick, Watch OUT!!  As you run for the nearest hole you can puke in.  I've been there, I didn't make it up the stairs, Oops! haha. 

What you want, I believe to start out, because of what happened to you, you should take it a SMALL BIT easier than I would.  Maybe work out at a 6-7, out of breath, but just a little shaky when done.  You can talk, but not carry on a conversation.   

I hope this helps you out! 

January 3, 2006, 8:06 am CST

thanks for replying

Quote From: stefywi

I think you focus too much on the weight, the number and not your heart.  I suggest getting a heart rate monitor, finding out what your maximum heart rate is allowed to be, since you are 35 and have had a stroke talk to your doctor or a registered trainer.  Once you know that, go for a walk everyday.  Find out what gets your heart to maximum, what it takes to lower it appropriately after a workout, let's say, how long it takes for your heart to reach resting, and work to improve it. 

What I believe you should be looking for is a change in your heart rate, at rest and during and after your workout. 

What you want is  a lower resting heart rate, that it takes longer and more difficult workouts to raise it close to maximum rate, and a much quicker time after workout it takes to lower it back to resting rate. 

Or, use the "How Do I Feel?" Gauge.   From 1 - 10 measure how you feel when you work out.  1 being I'm sitting down and I picked up the remote, and 10 being I can't anymore, I think I'm going to be sick, Watch OUT!!  As you run for the nearest hole you can puke in.  I've been there, I didn't make it up the stairs, Oops! haha. 

What you want, I believe to start out, because of what happened to you, you should take it a SMALL BIT easier than I would.  Maybe work out at a 6-7, out of breath, but just a little shaky when done.  You can talk, but not carry on a conversation.   

I hope this helps you out! 

It was great to here from a fresh perspective I'll work on what you've said.  Read another message you left stating you've joined up for fitness with other people and they've quit.  Would love to buddy up. Are you willing to give it another whirl with this housewife in Canada.  Would love to have someone to share journey with and advice is always welcome.  Let me know please!!!

January 3, 2006, 8:36 am CST

Of course!!

Quote From: starr6

It was great to here from a fresh perspective I'll work on what you've said.  Read another message you left stating you've joined up for fitness with other people and they've quit.  Would love to buddy up. Are you willing to give it another whirl with this housewife in Canada.  Would love to have someone to share journey with and advice is always welcome.  Let me know please!!!

I am always glad to help and it can't hurt to have too many supports.  

I usually am on first thing in the morning, then I exercise, well, walk, then shower, then I'm ready for the day!!  So, anytime, I usually make a habit of checking e-mails and posts through out the day. 

Same here as well, I am a house-soon-to-be-wife-fiance with a daughter of 4 years, right now, as you know I am 32 weeks pregnant, but always ready to be fit. 

Anytime you want, and when I can do it, we can chat! 

By the way, what part of Canada? 

January 3, 2006, 1:48 pm CST

21 & Read to Take Control

Hello, I'm 21 years old and I am about to start student teaching.  I always lose 5-10 pounds in the summer and by Christmas I have always gained it back.  I like to blame a lot of the weight on being in college, living on campus, eating in the dining hall, and having irregular eating habits.  I'm home now and I feel like it will be much easier for me to take control.  I am about 30 pounds over weight and I am looking to lose at least that much weight, but do so in a healthy and life-changing way.  I'm looking for someone in a similar situation who would like to keep in touch.  I'm reading Dr. Phil's book now.  The sad part is that I know it won't be that hard for me to lose enough weight to gain a little bit of my self confidence back. I just need to get started and keep going on the right track.  Anyone interested? 

Brandy 

brandyhager@gmail.com 

January 3, 2006, 2:13 pm CST

Losing weight

Quote From: brandy830

Hello, I'm 21 years old and I am about to start student teaching.  I always lose 5-10 pounds in the summer and by Christmas I have always gained it back.  I like to blame a lot of the weight on being in college, living on campus, eating in the dining hall, and having irregular eating habits.  I'm home now and I feel like it will be much easier for me to take control.  I am about 30 pounds over weight and I am looking to lose at least that much weight, but do so in a healthy and life-changing way.  I'm looking for someone in a similar situation who would like to keep in touch.  I'm reading Dr. Phil's book now.  The sad part is that I know it won't be that hard for me to lose enough weight to gain a little bit of my self confidence back. I just need to get started and keep going on the right track.  Anyone interested? 

Brandy 

brandyhager@gmail.com 

Dear Brandy, 

Hello there my new friend!  Like you I am about 30 pounds overwheight and that is my goal for this year is to lose it in a healthy, safe way.  I blame it on my schedule which fluctuates but the truth is I am an emotional eater, and suffer from depression.  I eat to bring myself comfort.  I don't have Dr. Phils book as we are financially really tight right now, but that doesn't mean I don't want to make healthy lifestyle changes.  If you want, I would love to partner with you.  Julie 

jsdickey_83@msn.com 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last