Message Boards

Topic : Breaking Unhealthy Habits

Number of Replies: 392
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:29 pm
Author : dataimport
Always have a gallon of ice cream in the freezer? Are chips and soda a staple of your day? Let's break unhealthy eating habits and lose weight together.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 7, 2006, 3:31 pm CST

I'm currently working with Key 6 (again)

Quote From: ritehere

My how easy it is to slide into old habits! I had to wean myself from some of the websites for awhile to get back into my workouts. Losing weight is what I REALLY want to do, and I was spending too much time on my backside at the computer. I just finished chapter 9, Key 6: Intentional Exercise. I know from past experience how valuable it is, but it was an eye-opener when I took the inventory of how much exercise I get on average. Although in the recent past (just last summer)  I've been pretty active, I've become a real slug as the weather has gotten colder.
It may be "in our genes" to slow down over the winter, but I'm choosing to view it as an excuse to do nothing, and eradicate it. I'm back to hitting the treadmill or the pavement daily, weather and schedule permitting.
I especially liked Step 3 in getting going, "Consequating" my exercise behavior. This is putting consequences or contingencies on doing your planned exercise. As you can see, computer time is contingent upon getting my workout done. If I don't do it, I don't get on the computer!

I've been using the book to help me tackle the reasons I eat.  I used Self Matters to master Keys 1 & 2.   I've been working on mastering Key 6 for quite a while.  Like you, I do really good with exercise until the winter months and then slow down terribly.  However, I have made it to the gym consistantly for 2 years now.  I feel good about it.  I'm starting back up with dance on Monday.  That's 4 1/2 hours of exercise a week right now.  My goal is 30minutes a day, 6 days a week. 

I decided I wanted a exercise room.  I wanted to exercise at home.  I wanted to practice my dancing in my own little studio.  I started working on it last year - I still have quite a bit of work to do on it -- like put together the bench that's been sitting there for nearly a year now.    

And I have used CONSEQUATING for all sorts of rewards.    Isn't it neat!  It's like giving myself permission .... IF I DO THIS than I GET THAT!!    

January 11, 2006, 8:30 am CST

Well, I'm on an unhealthy roll ....

Since last Sunday when I finally had to acknowledge that I had reached closure on 3 of my goals, I have been numbed out.  I'm going to have to re-look at all my goals ... I have to fill in the vacantness left by all 3 closures.  It feels so strange!! 

I went to the book store yesterday looking for a book on habits ...  I really do need to figure out what to do when this happens ...  it's not like my goals that I've had for a really short time ... like make it to gym tomorrow ... doing the preparation to get there the night before.  I've wanted to be a fitness diva for over 10-15 years.  It's what has been on my head all these years!!!   

I really want to do something different the next time cause it's going to be happening really soon again.  I'm just want to do better for myself!!  I am just not doing so hot right now.  I just can't seem to focus.  It's the shock ... well I sure hope it is anyway. 

Has anyone read a book that helped to explain how to deal with your life when your long-time habits are gone and how to plan for it? 

January 13, 2006, 8:49 pm CST

Breaking Unhealthy Habits

Quote From: shell_3333

Hi This is also my first time posting(similar). I am 27 years old and I too am very over weight. I am female, I sometimes think it is harder on us then on guys. I weigh 262LBS. That is ridiculous! I have never been this heavy before in my life. I had started to eat more but the biggest change was I started on-line college full time and I don't move nearly as much as I used to. How I knew I was gaining wasn't so much by how I looked but by how I felt. My knees would hurt and feel like they wanted to give out as I walked up the stairs. I am 27 and if I continue the way that I am I don't think I'll get much older. Both my father and my father's brother died at the age of 49 from a heat attack. I'm afraid that is going to be me. I am currently on a plan to change my life. I am almost a week into it and doing good so far. I am just going to take it day by day and do the things to make it work. I will also be reading the weight loss solution. If you are interested we can communicate for support. My whole family is trying to do this to but the more the merrier. rochelle_kelly_3333@yahoo.com. Anyone looking for support is welcome to join us as well.
Well, my theory on weight loss is not dieting.  Dieting sets you up for failure.  I had to come to the realization, that I could not eat fast food, even if I follow the points system.  I had to make the decision to become fast food free.  That was a hard step.  It meant that if I was going to allow the kids a treat out at Micky D's, I had to eat a soup and salad meal before we went.   Now we only eat out about once a month.  I have lost 70 pounds this way.  I know that I can't ever go back to fast food, because I know how hard it is to lose the weight.  Even so, everyday is a struggle.  My email is lovebeingamother@msn.com  feel free to contact me also...

January 15, 2006, 3:28 pm CST

I finally figured out what's going on ...

For the last few months, I've felt like I've been brainwashed ...  I keep picking myself up and beginning again.  Each time, I am always just a little further on.   

Today it finally dawned on me .... I've developed it as a habit!  Instead of sitting there crying cause I binged or stopped exercising or whatever ... I just ask myself WHERE AM I?   

It's a habit .... I feel comfortable focusing on it ... and I know that it's taken me 2 years to get here. 

THE WEIGHT OF HER EXPERIENCE article in Feb's issue of O Mag helped me to understand what exactly I was experiencing. 

So I guess it is a form of brain washing cause I'm able to keep picking myself up and dusting myself off.  Who knows, maybe by June 1st I will be living Keys 3, 4, 5, & 6.   I'm already living Chapter 2, Keys 1, 2, & 7.   It's just a slow process for me.  And you know what, I believe I'm finally okay with that!  I mean, hell, I'm nearly there ... I'm so close to living the healthy life style ... just a few more things to master and my practicing will get me there! 

PRACTICE    PRACTICE   PRACTICE  is the whole key to everything ... or as Dr. Phil says:  BEHAVE YOUR WAY .... 

January 15, 2006, 4:47 pm CST

Good for you Marcia.

Quote From: marcia52

For the last few months, I've felt like I've been brainwashed ...  I keep picking myself up and beginning again.  Each time, I am always just a little further on.   

Today it finally dawned on me .... I've developed it as a habit!  Instead of sitting there crying cause I binged or stopped exercising or whatever ... I just ask myself WHERE AM I?   

It's a habit .... I feel comfortable focusing on it ... and I know that it's taken me 2 years to get here. 

THE WEIGHT OF HER EXPERIENCE article in Feb's issue of O Mag helped me to understand what exactly I was experiencing. 

So I guess it is a form of brain washing cause I'm able to keep picking myself up and dusting myself off.  Who knows, maybe by June 1st I will be living Keys 3, 4, 5, & 6.   I'm already living Chapter 2, Keys 1, 2, & 7.   It's just a slow process for me.  And you know what, I believe I'm finally okay with that!  I mean, hell, I'm nearly there ... I'm so close to living the healthy life style ... just a few more things to master and my practicing will get me there! 

PRACTICE    PRACTICE   PRACTICE  is the whole key to everything ... or as Dr. Phil says:  BEHAVE YOUR WAY .... 

I picked myself up again also. After reading the last chapter, I've finally discovered what happened to me. I fell into 2 of the danger zones Dr Phil describes that can lie in wait for the unwary. The battle will continue even when you reach your goal. It never truly hit home just what a life change it is until now. I fell into the DISAPPOINTMENT and CRISIS danger zones, and was actually upset because life wasn't the bowl of cherries I had dreamed it to be when I got close to my goal. Life still goes on, crises still come up. I had developed a bad "what's the use" attitude that I couldn't seem to talk myself out of. And now that I know why I felt that way, I can get back to my goal.
See, it IS better to be slim, trim, and active. I just can't go back to the old couch potato role anymore, I hated myself before and it would be even worse now. I just needed to get real about my life, and stop indulging in unrealistic expectations.

January 16, 2006, 10:26 am CST

Isn't that the truth!!!

Quote From: ritehere

I picked myself up again also. After reading the last chapter, I've finally discovered what happened to me. I fell into 2 of the danger zones Dr Phil describes that can lie in wait for the unwary. The battle will continue even when you reach your goal. It never truly hit home just what a life change it is until now. I fell into the DISAPPOINTMENT and CRISIS danger zones, and was actually upset because life wasn't the bowl of cherries I had dreamed it to be when I got close to my goal. Life still goes on, crises still come up. I had developed a bad "what's the use" attitude that I couldn't seem to talk myself out of. And now that I know why I felt that way, I can get back to my goal.
See, it IS better to be slim, trim, and active. I just can't go back to the old couch potato role anymore, I hated myself before and it would be even worse now. I just needed to get real about my life, and stop indulging in unrealistic expectations.

Yes that's it isn't it... I'm just so used to feeling the old way that now I have to spend quality time acknowledging how it feels NOW ... other wise my old habits will surface and I'll be right back there again. 

I'm working on my 2nd level of goals now.   Martha Beck's article:  AVOID AVOIDANCE helped to show me that I still have a ways to go and until I begin to tackle what's on my head to do, I'll just keep repeating the same pattern over and over again. 

I do know that it's getting easier and easier to pick myself up.  And it's not as frightening as it once was. 

January 19, 2006, 3:52 am CST

help

Could someone help me. I am a 27 year old female who has 2 toddlers. Since I've had my kids I've had a constant battle with my weight. I used to be able to lose weight pretty easy but these days it seems to be stuck there. I started trying again on Jan 1st. I want to lose 25 pounds. I walk 45 mins-1 hour per day. I try to do some ab work at night. I also jog short intervals. The first week I lost 7 pounds which was not unheard of since I had gained 8 over the holidays. But the last three weeks I have gained 1 pound, 1 pound, and 1 pound. What am I doing wrong to deserve this weight gain. I eat very healthy, 3 meals lots of protein and 2 snacks per day. I notice I am getting smaller but I also want to see the result on the scale. Any suggestions. 

Frustrated in Canada 

January 19, 2006, 7:52 am CST

Hang in there

Quote From: madcoswink

Could someone help me. I am a 27 year old female who has 2 toddlers. Since I've had my kids I've had a constant battle with my weight. I used to be able to lose weight pretty easy but these days it seems to be stuck there. I started trying again on Jan 1st. I want to lose 25 pounds. I walk 45 mins-1 hour per day. I try to do some ab work at night. I also jog short intervals. The first week I lost 7 pounds which was not unheard of since I had gained 8 over the holidays. But the last three weeks I have gained 1 pound, 1 pound, and 1 pound. What am I doing wrong to deserve this weight gain. I eat very healthy, 3 meals lots of protein and 2 snacks per day. I notice I am getting smaller but I also want to see the result on the scale. Any suggestions. 

Frustrated in Canada 

The large amount you lost the first week was mostly water, and what is known as "fast on fast off," the last lb or two that you had recently put on during the holidays. The gain you are seeing is muscle, since you are still losing inches. Don't get too discouraged, muscles help you to burn more calories at rest, so they are like money in a savings account.
 Try cutting out one snack, or maybe just a portion of one snack. We all have different calorie needs, and you have to find the "golden balance" for your own particular body. There's a point where you are getting enough food to be healthy and feel satisfied, but still losing weight. This goes for exercise too, there's a point where you are getting enough and still losing without feeling hungry all the time because you're just not getting enough calories to sustain it.
And of course, as you lose pounds, your calorie and exercise levels with change too. It's an ongoing exploration into what makes you feel healthy and alive while reaching for your goal.

January 19, 2006, 12:58 pm CST

Confused about amounts to eat

I find it very hard to get it straight if I am not eating enough, should eat more etc. To be honest I find I am not eating enough. I find it very easy to skip my snacks. A typical day for me would be a bowl of raison bran and coffee for breakfast, a protien shake for lunch and a chic breast and salad for supper. I never eat at night and drink lots of water. Is this enough calories for a day. I have been walking everyday but I am not losing weight. Many people say I am not eating enough but I eat when I am hungry. I just don't have a big appetite and find it hard to "grasp" eating when you are not hungry if you are trying to lose weight. Can someone please help straighten this out.

January 19, 2006, 1:32 pm CST

check out ...

Quote From: madcoswink

I find it very hard to get it straight if I am not eating enough, should eat more etc. To be honest I find I am not eating enough. I find it very easy to skip my snacks. A typical day for me would be a bowl of raison bran and coffee for breakfast, a protien shake for lunch and a chic breast and salad for supper. I never eat at night and drink lots of water. Is this enough calories for a day. I have been walking everyday but I am not losing weight. Many people say I am not eating enough but I eat when I am hungry. I just don't have a big appetite and find it hard to "grasp" eating when you are not hungry if you are trying to lose weight. Can someone please help straighten this out.

mypyramid.gov  

is the government's site about the eating pyramid .. check it out and it will give you some answers .... Weight Loss Solutions is a good source (Key 5) and there are many books out there on nutrition .... 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last