Message Boards

Topic : Breaking Unhealthy Habits

Number of Replies: 392
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:29 pm
Author : dataimport
Always have a gallon of ice cream in the freezer? Are chips and soda a staple of your day? Let's break unhealthy eating habits and lose weight together.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 20, 2006, 8:08 am CST

helping

Quote From: ritehere

The large amount you lost the first week was mostly water, and what is known as "fast on fast off," the last lb or two that you had recently put on during the holidays. The gain you are seeing is muscle, since you are still losing inches. Don't get too discouraged, muscles help you to burn more calories at rest, so they are like money in a savings account.
 Try cutting out one snack, or maybe just a portion of one snack. We all have different calorie needs, and you have to find the "golden balance" for your own particular body. There's a point where you are getting enough food to be healthy and feel satisfied, but still losing weight. This goes for exercise too, there's a point where you are getting enough and still losing without feeling hungry all the time because you're just not getting enough calories to sustain it.
And of course, as you lose pounds, your calorie and exercise levels with change too. It's an ongoing exploration into what makes you feel healthy and alive while reaching for your goal.
Children change our bodies.  I am winning the battle of weight because I got my mind off of weight and on getting my body healthy.  I want a burger?  Sure!  Big ol' wheat bun, spicy mustard, lean hamburger and extra veggies please.  Onion rings instead of fries and tea instead of a carbonated drink.  McDonalds ice cream instead of Dairy Queen ice cream.  Learning too that there is a huge difference in being hungry and just wanting to eat.  Now I keep gum in my mouth.  Keeps me from eating unconsciously.  I am not obsessed, but I am conscious!   It's so hard with kids and home to do something for yourself.  Well, activity is for ourselves!  It then benefits our families.  Do something for yourself.  Treat yourself.  Play hoops, ride a horse, walk the neighborhood, go on leaf hunts, go to the park by yourself, start a walking club.  I walk the football field track rather than eat and gossip in the teachers lounge.  :0)  

January 20, 2006, 2:14 pm CST

Maybe you should see your doctor.

Quote From: madcoswink

I find it very hard to get it straight if I am not eating enough, should eat more etc. To be honest I find I am not eating enough. I find it very easy to skip my snacks. A typical day for me would be a bowl of raison bran and coffee for breakfast, a protien shake for lunch and a chic breast and salad for supper. I never eat at night and drink lots of water. Is this enough calories for a day. I have been walking everyday but I am not losing weight. Many people say I am not eating enough but I eat when I am hungry. I just don't have a big appetite and find it hard to "grasp" eating when you are not hungry if you are trying to lose weight. Can someone please help straighten this out.
 There are some conditions that make it especially difficult to lose weight, and you find yourself working way to hard. This sounds like it may be your case. Go to your doctor and have him take some tests, with the amount of activity you're doing and the food you are taking in, you should be losing weight. There's a chapter in the UWLS book on weight loss resistance, and Dr Phil mentions things you can be tested for.

January 24, 2006, 3:51 am CST

How to drop sweets?

I'm addicted to sweets that's my only weight problem. Ito to balance the weight leaving normal food for less, because I don't want to get fat. I could work out a bit more, but I really don't have time and energy for it, what is of course an excuse. What can I do???

January 24, 2006, 8:47 am CST

Pay attention to how you view the sweets.

Quote From: inkeri

I'm addicted to sweets that's my only weight problem. Ito to balance the weight leaving normal food for less, because I don't want to get fat. I could work out a bit more, but I really don't have time and energy for it, what is of course an excuse. What can I do???
 When you head towards the kitchen with sweets on your mind, pay attention to what you're saying to yourself. Are you upset, anxious, stressed, angry, bored? It may take awhile to figure out if you have emotional triggers that cause you to reach for sweets. If you find that you do, then you begin working on alternative ways to cope with the emotions.

And then again, you may be simply addicted to sugar. Often times what starts out as a response to emotions, continues as an addiction long after the need to cope with the emotions has gone away. Or maybe it was nothing but an addiction to begin with if sugar has been a staple of your diet for a long time. Don't underestimate the addictive quality of sugar. When you take it away, you will find yourself craving baked goods, fruits and juices which break down into sugar in your body. If you suspect sugar addiction, I can vouch for fact that it takes 3 to 4 days for the cravings to stop.

Maybe if you view sugar as the addicting substance it is, it will make it easier to rid yourself of it.

January 26, 2006, 11:23 am CST

Now it's HABIT BREAKING TIME!!

I have finally acknowledged some really painful truths, cried, grieved and now, I've once again picked myself up and moved forward. 

My roller coaster ride is over.  Now, I am focused on rewriting the habits with healthier ones.   It's not going to happen over night and I'm doing my best to just take it one step at a time. 

I know I can do this.  I know that this is what I want deep down inside and with my final acknowledgement that I'm violating the family patterns, I accept that I will never ever fit in.  I never actually did, however, the child within always dreamt that my family would love me unconditional.   And the sad truth is, my family is so dysfunctional that they won't even know I'm not living to the family pattern. 

Well, it's going to be interesting to see how long this lasts.  I'm feeling comfortable and safe so I'm still on a roll! 

January 29, 2006, 8:38 am CST

Talk about a loser!!!

Yesterday I experienced a set back again.  I'm really unhappy with how I reacted.    

I got TESTED BIG TIME and I passed with A's on 1/2 of it and failed miserably with the other 1/2.  I was able to focus on "good" thinking however, I binged all day on candy & cookies.  It was awful!  I felt terribly sick by the time I got to bed.  I did manage to eat something healthy around 5-6 p.m.   

I know it's all about Key 4, Step 2.  Knowing it and doing it is 2 different animals! 

At least I knew what I was doing when it was happening.  I do remember it taking me days to pull my reins in.  I finally just finished off the swizzlers (6 pcs) and I'm going to make myself breakfast -- it's 11:42 a.m. and I know it's kinda late to be eating breakfast. But that's okay -- I'm still going to eat! 

I have no more excuses for not working on my urges & triggers ... my mental self-talk is postive and pro-active ... took me a year to get it together ... I'm okay ... just tired of having to pick myself up once again! 

January 30, 2006, 7:20 am CST

I'm slowly recovering ...

Yesterday was a wipe out ... I finally just gave up and just read a novel instead of watching TV ...  at least I did do something different! 

I vacuumed my floors today - my chore log shows the last time I did was on Sat 12/31 ...  I'm on a monthly cycle.  My log also shows I was active for the following week as well and then just lost it.  2 weeks active, 2 weeks lost.   There are some things I'm just not doing and that's just okay with me. 

I focused on exercise last month.  My goal was to add DANCE and 1 other exercise and I achieved it last week.   This week, that's my goal again.  In February, my exercise goal is to do 30-minutes, 5x a week. 

And I begin my HEALTHY EATING GOAL as well.  I'm going to focus on triggers and urges.   And it will be draining and once again, I'll slip on something else I'm working on. 

February 4, 2006, 7:31 am CST

Breaking unhealthy Habits

I am an abuser of food.  I use food to try and settle my moods, but I find that after I binge I am worse off than when I bagan.  I am concerned that I will end up obese, saying that I might be already.  I am embarrassed because I do not wish for my husband or children to see me like this.  I am depressed most of the time and it affects my relationships with people.  I am socially inept when it comes to leaving the house.  I wonder what people say about me when they see me or do they know my secret of binging?  What do I do?????

February 4, 2006, 1:30 pm CST

Begin the slow slow process back to healthy thinking...

Quote From: golucky

I am an abuser of food.  I use food to try and settle my moods, but I find that after I binge I am worse off than when I bagan.  I am concerned that I will end up obese, saying that I might be already.  I am embarrassed because I do not wish for my husband or children to see me like this.  I am depressed most of the time and it affects my relationships with people.  I am socially inept when it comes to leaving the house.  I wonder what people say about me when they see me or do they know my secret of binging?  What do I do?????

Have you checked out Dr. Phil's weight loss solutions?  It came out a couple of years and you can get it in paperback ... check the local library for it.  It's not easy to step up and commit to learning how to eat healthy and to change your self-destructive eating behaviors & habits. 

The 7 keys help you to master the steps you need to do to adapt healthy eating.  There's not short cuts or quick snap of your fingers ....  it's hard work and committing to adapting these behaviors & habits will bring you back to normalcy and more. 

February 8, 2006, 2:26 pm CST

still unhealthy habit

i have read the book that Dr. Phil came out with, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it the right way.  I get confused about what foods to buy and what not to buy.  I also am not sure what exercises are the best.  I don't have much faith in myself when it comes to losing weight.  I do know that what I want is to be happy with myself and to stop depending on food to satisfy me!!!! 

Please give me some encouraging words!!!! 

golucky...... 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last