Message Boards

Topic : Breaking Unhealthy Habits

Number of Replies: 392
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:29 pm
Author : dataimport
Always have a gallon of ice cream in the freezer? Are chips and soda a staple of your day? Let's break unhealthy eating habits and lose weight together.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 5, 2005, 1:22 pm CDT

Breaking Unhealthy Habits

I recently loss 31 pounds.  I'm 5'1 but I did not have that much to lose.  I was 145 and now I'm 114 and still losing.  I started in April of this year and just basically took my time, making dietary changes and I started exercise 20 minutes / 3 times a week.  What worked for me was controlling my own mind and how I looked at food.  It was extreme discipline and self-control.  Knowing that if I could re-program the mental, my body would have to follow, and it did!!  I started with the mental first, exercising self-control, educating myself about the effects of refined sugar on the body, eating healthier food that I prepared at home, staying away from processesed / frozen foods and white flour.  I set my goal for 15 pounds at first and now I have exceeded that.  It's all about education and a lifestyle change.  Retrain the mind and the body will follow. 

October 10, 2005, 8:12 am CDT

Key 3, Step 5: Clean out my closets....

Yesterday, I finally did it again.  I did the 3rd cleansing of my clothes and as a hoarder, it's been really INTENSE.  I did it differently this go around.  

1st time:  I found them and packed them up. 

2nd time: I sorted them by sizes and re-packed them up. 

3rd time:  I was ready ... I knew I was facing a FEAR - one I was going to name and challenge. 

I went thru 3 totes & 2 boxes of clothes and sorted by type:  dress tops, Tshirts, jeans, exercise. 

I had to figure out how my body was going to lose weight and what my wardrobe was going to be and what I needed to purchase to make it whole. 

I had to figure out even the sorting mechanism - I wrote on the end of 3x5 cards the following sizes: 

...   MEDIUM (10-12),   12,    LARGE  (14-16),   14,   16,  X-LARGE (18-20),  18 

I kept wanting to sort as I went along and finally reminded myself that I still had all those totes & boxes to go thru and I wanted to get this over with.  So I finally allowed myself to just sort and make all sorts of piles on my sewing cutting table.  THEN I spent the rest of the day, going thru each pile and comparing sizes.  Just cause something says it's LARGE, it may actually be a MED or even X-Large.  So yesterday, I began to teach myself about clothes.  It was intensive cause I bought my journal and colored pens and my notepad to help me work thru what I was saying to myself. It was INTENSIVE!!!  Yet so freeing.   

Today, I have 2 clothes baskets & 1 dresser to sort out; 2 drawers of summer clothes to pack away forever.  I won't need them anymore.  If I like the style, I'll keep it so I can make a pattern from it at a smaller size - that's my real goal. I want to know what looks good on me so I can learn how to duplicate it when I practice teaching myself how to alter clothes and sew a variety of fabric. 

Well, it's time to go.  I can now truthfully stand up and admit - I HAVE MASTERED THIS STEP!!!  I really do feel proud of myself at long last.   

October 14, 2005, 9:04 am CDT

starting good habits

Quote From: ritehere

Make a commitment to do something EVERYDAY, but start small. In the beginning, its more important to get into the habit of exercise, than to break a sweat. That's also why you want to do something everyday, its easier to cement a habit when you do it everyday, than 3 or 4 times a week. (Like brushing your teeth.)
What I started with was grocery shopping and other types of shopping and housework. I would park at the very end of the lot so I had to walk farther, then I would whizz around the outer edges of the store a couple of times with the basket before starting on my list. When I had to go upstairs for any reason, I would run up and down once or twice before going up for my errand. If you work little things like that into your regular schedule, its easy. I'm sure you can think of a few on your own. The idea is to be more active all day. Then, as you lose more weight, you will want to do the more strenuous and strength building type of exercise.
Its easy to build up to doing a little more every week, so START SMALL.
Good luck!

Thankyou so much for all the good advice,  starting habits and starting small.  I have been so discouraged because I am really overweight and continue to gain.  I can't  seem to get into the eating right  and excercise mode.  Please send lots of advice and encouragement.

October 14, 2005, 12:27 pm CDT

Food allergies...

Quote From: lemonade

Thankyou so much for all the good advice,  starting habits and starting small.  I have been so discouraged because I am really overweight and continue to gain.  I can't  seem to get into the eating right  and excercise mode.  Please send lots of advice and encouragement.
One thing I learned in my quest for health was that I have a sensitivity to wheat. When I eat any foods with wheat ingredients like, bread and pasta, it packs on the pounds in no time. It causes me to retain water and if I eat enough I have low-grade allergy symptoms like sinus problems, fatigue, and trouble sleeping. So, if you get in a healthy eating and exercise routine, but still have troubles losing weight, give a thought to possible food allergies.

The weirdest thing about mild food sensitivities is that these are the foods that we seem to crave. For me it's those baked goods. I'll eat breads, cookies, cakes, pancakes over chocolate and candy any day.

October 14, 2005, 1:11 pm CDT

I am going to look like this again...

Unfortunately, I have put on about 40 pounds since this picture was taken. I want to look this way again. Are you guys going to help me, or do I have to do it alone?  I am going to do it one way or the other, but I would prefer some "company". I am learning to take the fat out of my diet, and what I have found out is that food can still taste great without kiling you. I am going to go ride my bike for a couple of miles, and when I get back, I hope to have some messages.

October 14, 2005, 3:16 pm CDT

Yo ...you go guy

Quote From: wespauley

Unfortunately, I have put on about 40 pounds since this picture was taken. I want to look this way again. Are you guys going to help me, or do I have to do it alone?  I am going to do it one way or the other, but I would prefer some "company". I am learning to take the fat out of my diet, and what I have found out is that food can still taste great without kiling you. I am going to go ride my bike for a couple of miles, and when I get back, I hope to have some messages.
    One day at a time....even though ...its the rest of your life.....you might even enjoy the journey.

October 26, 2005, 8:06 pm CDT

Quote From: caryllium

Starting small is the key.  It has been the key for me personally.  I have lost 130 lbs.  I started changing my eating habits one habit at a time.  I changed my exercise habits slowly, very slowly.  I did what this author suggests.   

I parked as far away as possible.  I did each errand the long way by making extra trips.  If I needed 3 things from upstairs, I made 3 separate trips.  I began fidgeting in the car, in the cashier lane at the grocery store, everywhere.  I would tap my toes, wiggle my fingers, shift weight from one foot to the other. 

When I was heavy, I was so sedentary.  Now I have so much energy, and I feel great. 

I wish you the best of luck. 

Thank you for the advice !  

I have started moving a little at a time . My kids go shopping with me : I zip through the store in 20 minutes . I was just making my way through in about an hour. 

My Husband Bought me a bicycle for my birthday and I am really enjoying that. 

Again THANK YOU for everything!  

Lisa 

October 28, 2005, 12:40 pm CDT

At work

I was recently told at ny work I was fat . I'm a dancer . I'm 5ft2in 109p . The owner of the place said that I could not work nights until I lost 10p . I had an eating disorter for 3years . its been a a little under a year sence it went away . Now to be slaped in the face and said i was fat .!! I wear size 4to 5  in jeans , about 3 months ago i was size 2 . I also feel discremated becuses Im not big brested and I'm short . I'm now depressed about my wieght , I want to sleep all the time . I eat cuz im upset . My family says Im fine . What I'm afrad I'll end up in the hospital ,like i almost did  a year and half ago . While I was at work for passing while througing up . My dr.s have told me that if were to come back i would end up in the hospital . The worst point during the 3 years . was in the second year . I dont know what to do !!!!!!! Some one help me get over what the ower said ??? My bf said its not my looks not the looks , its the few pounds. Should I be afend of the owner of what he said?? I dont know how to dill with it . I NEED ADVICE !!!!!!!!!

October 31, 2005, 9:12 am CST

Quote From: austingirl

I was recently told at ny work I was fat . I'm a dancer . I'm 5ft2in 109p . The owner of the place said that I could not work nights until I lost 10p . I had an eating disorter for 3years . its been a a little under a year sence it went away . Now to be slaped in the face and said i was fat .!! I wear size 4to 5  in jeans , about 3 months ago i was size 2 . I also feel discremated becuses Im not big brested and I'm short . I'm now depressed about my wieght , I want to sleep all the time . I eat cuz im upset . My family says Im fine . What I'm afrad I'll end up in the hospital ,like i almost did  a year and half ago . While I was at work for passing while througing up . My dr.s have told me that if were to come back i would end up in the hospital . The worst point during the 3 years . was in the second year . I dont know what to do !!!!!!! Some one help me get over what the ower said ??? My bf said its not my looks not the looks , its the few pounds. Should I be afend of the owner of what he said?? I dont know how to dill with it . I NEED ADVICE !!!!!!!!!
If you lost 10 more pounds you'd be underweight, according to the BMI.  If your boss has you this stressed out about losing weight and is trying to get you to be an unhealthly weight, I'd say look for another job.  Although my situation was different, when my old job started stressing me out over fine details, I started job hunting.  I found another job too, one that pays more and is closer to my field of study (I'm a college student).  Right now I'm trying to lose weight, but I am overweight, not within a normal weight like you are.  I too am losing weight for a job, but for a job in the FBI.  I also got laser eye surgery, but that was my own decision, and I was comfortable with the idea.  If your boss has you doing things that make you uncomfartable, you might think about looking elsewhere.  Just a thought.

November 2, 2005, 10:48 am CST

Just in need of some weight loss help

Hello everyone! I am going to start writing here and in the diary section. First of all let me introduce myself. Hi...I'm Heidi, I'm 30 year old married (to a wonderful man) with a beautiful little girl( she will be two in march) 

I can't say that my life is wonderful because if It was, I wouldn't want to be here writing and wanting to lose weight. So, lets just say  that my life would be a little better if I could get some help on losing this weight! 

I know that I really need to sit down and read Dr Phil's book. I have read a lot of postings and I know that if I was to just read this book it would help me on my weight loss journey.  

I guess this is why I am here, I want to find some "buddies" to communicate with here. I was on this website last year and I found that I would do a lot better with eating the right foods and working out when I would come on here and "chat" with people in my same situation. 

My husband is also trying to lose weight. ( not that he has that much to lose) and he is great at supporting me and my efforts, however..I think that it's a bit different when we can talk to someone that is in the SAME situation that we are in. DOES anyone agree? 

Anyway, I would love the chance to chat with some people, get to know them and maybe share some secrets on losing weight. If anyone is interested, please reply to this! 

Until next time, take care everyone and best of luck to all of you! 

Heidi 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last