Message Boards

Topic : Breaking Unhealthy Habits

Number of Replies: 392
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:29 pm
Author : dataimport
Always have a gallon of ice cream in the freezer? Are chips and soda a staple of your day? Let's break unhealthy eating habits and lose weight together.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 20, 2005, 9:33 am CST

I sympathise,

Quote From: ebooze

Hello, 

My name is Erica & up till this point I have been doing so well on my eating and change of life.  

But today is probably the worse day I have had in a long time! You see I have an ill child who has cirrhosis of the liver and is going to have a transplant, with me as the partial donor. I have been loosing the 80 lbs I needed to for the surgery, and have lost 45 lbs of it so far! 

We have about 700,000 in medical bills and there is no help in our town of Fairbanks, Alaska. We have considered moving to a warmer state for our son and other two sons, and for a bigger town that would have more help but we do not have the funds. 

Please do not get me wrong I am not in any way asking for money or things like that from any one in this chat room....but we need some kind of help somewhere, because we have had our accounts zapped from collection agencies and they are now taking money from our pay checks, I just can't pay all of the medical bills at one time there are too many of them and I probably wouldn't be able to pay all of them in a life time! 

I have thrown myself into eating to make me feel better, I know it is wrong but I can't stop.  

I have tried to get help in this town ( but there is no agecie that will pick up Danny's illness here) but to no avail, I have had it, I am so desperate and am working so many jobs right now (5) that if I were to get a new one I would be working 24 hrs a day, my husband has three as well! 

I have been crying and eating, I am brave most of the time, I try to do fun things for my kids and make life better (they are home schooled because of the germ factor) but right now I just feel like laying down and sleeping for ever. I have written about every talk show host and tv show imaginable to get some kind of help but I am just one of the million letters or e-mails they receive every day! Does anyone know anybody or someone who can help? Some kind of agencie or non profit that could advise us where to go? 

I do not think I can last much longer, I mean I won't do anything stupid.......but gaining weight back and loosing what mind I have left is a definite 

Love & hope 

Erica 

Unfortunately, sympathy is all I can offer you. Have you tried the "Be on the show" board? I think your story deserves to be heard, after all, you're not whining for something for yourself.

November 20, 2005, 9:46 am CST

End week 2-

I've ended my second week of my weight loss journey. I'm happy to report I've lost another 1 1/2 lbs! I finished chapter 4 also and feel like I have a much better grasp on my negative thought patterns that lead to obesity. After spending the week doing the inventories and exercises, then meditating on different aspects of insights I dredged up, I've discovered why I'm able to lose, but not keep it off. I've designed some positive inner dialogue, personalized to my unique situation, to replace some of the garbage I've been telling myself.
Seems I've been in denial and flat out lying to myself about my ability to manage my weight, my energy levels, and my self-control. These are some bad habits that I'm ditching right away. But the trick is having good ones to replace the bad ones, otherwise you leave this sucking black hole, which usually gets filled with the bad habits again. That's the purpose of coming up with the personalized self-talk.

I already feel more confidant about the outcome of this, I feel like I've shaken hands with a long-buried part of myself that is finally let out of the hole she's been hiding in.

November 24, 2005, 11:39 am CST

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! 

Hope all your days are GREAT!!!!  I hope everyone has a GREAT day & has control over the temptations of the FOOD! I know I am going to try very hard too! 

Love & Hope! 

Erica 

November 27, 2005, 6:23 pm CST

end 3rd week

Well, I wish I could report that I lost some more, but that would be lying. I missed a few of workouts and splurged on a few goodies at Thanksgiving. I gained a pound of flab back. But it was better than other years, so I'm going to view it as an improvement over other years.

I blame the backsliding on myself. If I had arranged my schedule better, I would have had time for those workouts before guests arrived. I can see what I need to work on.

Chapter 5 was an eye-opener, I've pinpointed some old labels and faulty perceptions/filters that I need to give the old heave-ho. I have new and improved inner self-talk to replace them. Next week will be another challenge, I will be out of town, at the mercy of food served by relatives, so wish me luck!

December 6, 2005, 5:27 am CST

Support of Shape Up Vitamins and Supplements

I am angry with the people suing over Shape Up. I used the vitamins. They were the best I have ever found and I am frustrated that I can no longer purchase them. 

It's hard to determine what a vitamin is doing for you, however, I could see positive effects. My nails were stronger, but more important to me, the vitamins provided some relief to me for IBM. Unless you suffer from IBM, you cannot understand what a blessing it is to have a product which aids in this problem. I am no doctor, but I assume the vitamins helped to break down the foods I ate. I have taken many types and combinations of vitamins over the years and have never found a combination which provided the benefits of the Shape Up vitamins.   

Shame on those who are looking for a quick buck and on the lawyers looking for the publicity and profit. Their greed has taken away a product which had positive benefits for me and I am sure many others. I wish those who feel as I do would ban together so our voice could be heard!  

December 6, 2005, 8:21 pm CST

end 4th week

Well, I bombed last week. Not only did I NOT lose any more weight, I gained back some again. I gained back 2 more pounds. I could blame it on being out of town, eating at restaurants and relatives, but the truth is, nobody tied me down and forced me to eat. I didn't do badly the first part of the week. I was in a hotel for 3 days and availed myself of the exercise equipment and watched my eating pretty well. Then when we stayed with relatives I fell into destructive thinking. In ran like this: I've been good, and I lost 5 pounds before, therefore I have "slack" and so I can "afford" to have this dessert. Besides, I can lose it again when I get home.
The only problem is, now that I'm home I want to kick myself because I'm back where I started. I'm not giving up though. When you back your car into a fence post, you don't keep bashing that post because your car is now "ruined." So I won't keep piling on some more pounds because my diet is "ruined." I will chalk this up as a valuable lesson and get back in the saddle.
I have more "practice" coming up too, we have two Christmas parties to attend in the next 2 weeks, one that we will go out of town over the weekend for. I need to get real about my fat, or get real fat!

December 11, 2005, 2:33 pm CST

End 5 th week

OK, back on track again. I lost 1 pound even though I went to a lavish Christmas dinner Friday night. In the past, this would be an exuse to eat everything to excess, and I would. I stayed within all boundaries except for dessert, which I shared with hubby, letting him eat most of it. I focused on the social occaision and the music, not the food. I had a great time and felt proud of myself afterward instead of kicking myself. A much better outcome!

December 19, 2005, 6:38 pm CST

End 6th week.

Sunday was the end of my 6th week, but I was out of town, so couldn't post. It was another week of very little exercise, since we stayed at a friend's house. It was snowing and very cold outside. I started to take a walk, but the wind was just too much. There are other things I could have done, but chose not to. So, I didn't lose any weight, but didn't gain any either. The Christmas dinner we went to was Italian food. I really enjoy Italian food, but I was good. I limited my eating and wasn't stuffed to the gills when we left. My reward was feeling good afterwards.
 I just finished chapter 7- Key 4: Mastery Over Food and Impulse Eating. I found it highly interesting. I have a problem with giving in to urges and impulses. It's usually when I haven't been eating well to begin with. Too many sugars and starches leave me craving more of the same. But I also get busy and sometimes wait too long to eat, and give in to bad impulses for that reason. I have pinpointed when impulse moments are likely to happen, and written out a plan of action to combat them. From past experience I know that they are fewer when you are eating a balanced, healthy diet too.
I'm also a fast eater. I come from a large family, and I guess this bad habit had its  roots there. I'm going to start taking longer to eat, laying down my utensils between bites, taking smaller bites, etc.

I have to admit, when you do everything right, the weight comes off readily. When you don't, and deny, cover up, and lie to yourself, it stays put.

December 20, 2005, 6:52 am CST

General

My youngest son is 12 weeks old, and I am so frustrated. I'm still about 40 lbs overweight and cannot fit into any of my jeans, and I refuse to buy anything larger than the size 16's I have. I also have a 15-year-old son, Jerry,  who lives with his dad, a 6-year-old son, Christopher, who's been diagnosed with autism and Asberger's syndrome, and a 2-year-old daughter, Bethany, who's actually normal! My second marriage, the one I'm in now, is on the verge of divorce due to stress and financial problems. We live in a little two bedroom apartment, and I sleep on the couch because my husband works 7am to 3pm and he gets up early. Bethany sleeps in our bedroom in her crib still, and  Christopher has the other bedroom. I am always tired and don't have anywhere to excercise. We live on a state road on the outside of town with no sidewalks. I have an Associates Degree in business administration and I work at McDonald's for less than $6/hr because I can't find anything around here in my field. We don't have anyone to babysit for the kids so we can have any time to ourselves, unless we take them 15 miles one way to pay for a babsitter, and then they need to be picked up by 5pm. The kids' grandparents don't come around very often, and my mother-in-law hasn't even seen her 12-week-old grandson yet, though she only lives about a half-hour away. My mother has some disabilities; chronic fatigue syndrome, TMJ, and fibromyalgia, among other problems, so we don't see her very often either, though she lives 10-15 minutes away. They say, "You guys don't come around here much either." They don't seem to realize how much of a hassle it is to pack up a 6 and 2-year-old and a 3-month-old. If all 5 of us need to go somewhere, we have to take two vehicles, even with the price of gas, because we can't all fit into my 2000 Honda Civic. Three car seats just don't fit into the back. My husband, Aaron, has a 2000 Ford Ranger short cab. We cannot get a different vehicle because of our credit and income. Aaron and I are aways arguing about something and it's tearing us apart and having an adverse effect on our children. I'm just frustrated that we keep running into brick walls and going nowhere except backwards. Thank you for letting me get this off my shoulders. It helps. 

December 20, 2005, 2:13 pm CST

Have you checked into assistance?

Quote From: kittkatt

My youngest son is 12 weeks old, and I am so frustrated. I'm still about 40 lbs overweight and cannot fit into any of my jeans, and I refuse to buy anything larger than the size 16's I have. I also have a 15-year-old son, Jerry,  who lives with his dad, a 6-year-old son, Christopher, who's been diagnosed with autism and Asberger's syndrome, and a 2-year-old daughter, Bethany, who's actually normal! My second marriage, the one I'm in now, is on the verge of divorce due to stress and financial problems. We live in a little two bedroom apartment, and I sleep on the couch because my husband works 7am to 3pm and he gets up early. Bethany sleeps in our bedroom in her crib still, and  Christopher has the other bedroom. I am always tired and don't have anywhere to excercise. We live on a state road on the outside of town with no sidewalks. I have an Associates Degree in business administration and I work at McDonald's for less than $6/hr because I can't find anything around here in my field. We don't have anyone to babysit for the kids so we can have any time to ourselves, unless we take them 15 miles one way to pay for a babsitter, and then they need to be picked up by 5pm. The kids' grandparents don't come around very often, and my mother-in-law hasn't even seen her 12-week-old grandson yet, though she only lives about a half-hour away. My mother has some disabilities; chronic fatigue syndrome, TMJ, and fibromyalgia, among other problems, so we don't see her very often either, though she lives 10-15 minutes away. They say, "You guys don't come around here much either." They don't seem to realize how much of a hassle it is to pack up a 6 and 2-year-old and a 3-month-old. If all 5 of us need to go somewhere, we have to take two vehicles, even with the price of gas, because we can't all fit into my 2000 Honda Civic. Three car seats just don't fit into the back. My husband, Aaron, has a 2000 Ford Ranger short cab. We cannot get a different vehicle because of our credit and income. Aaron and I are aways arguing about something and it's tearing us apart and having an adverse effect on our children. I'm just frustrated that we keep running into brick walls and going nowhere except backwards. Thank you for letting me get this off my shoulders. It helps. 

I'm not versed in these matters, but isn't there apartments you could qualify for at a reduced rent? Hopefully ones that are closer to more job opportunities? And hopefully one that has 3 bedrooms? You and your husband should not be sleeping apart, I don't care what your excuse is.  Your daughter is going to outgrow her crib very soon, then what? Will she get the other bedroom and your 6 yr old bunk with Dad? A move closer in would mean more babysitters also.
As far as the 3 car seats, I understand the 2 yr old and the 12 week old baby needing them, but the 6 yr old? Is he under size for his age, or is it because he is autistic? Does he go to any sort of school? Would it be advantageous to live somewhere where he could if he doesn't now?
I guess what it boils down to is that your home is not working for you. Don't just say you can't afford anything else, make it a priority and work at finding a way to better your living conditions.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last