Message Boards

Topic : Diet

Number of Replies: 372
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:57 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you a low-carb disciple? Is low-fat your mantra? What works for you when dieting? Share advice and tips for a healthy diet with others!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 6, 2007, 8:13 am CST

Lost Motivation

I am a 33 year old mum of two adorable boys. I have lost 30 pounds since the birth of my younger son (Feb). I have another 15-20 to go but have totally lost the plot! I am self destructive and feel I have lost all motivation which is making me feel so bad about myself. How do I get back on track? My weight has always been a major 'Thorn in my side'. As a former ballet dancer I was taught that thinner is best and struggled with bulimia in my teens. I am very aware of my weight but at the moment I eat everything in sight. I feel like I can't start my diet until all the 'bad' food is out of the house, so I eat everything and then go and buy more! I feel disgusting but can't seem to stop. Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom or experiences they would like to share to help? I would appreciate any help and welcome your comments.

December 4, 2007, 8:06 am CST

Is it hopeless?

About eight years ago I injured my lower back.  While being examined by a chiropractor, I was told that I had a muscle imbalance.  He said my hips only rotated 20% where normal people's go to 40% when  bending over.  This has caused the muscles in my lower back to be extremely loose causing the muscles around my stomach be super tight.  He said because of this I would not be able to lose weight.  Since that time I have put on about 40 pounds.  I have tried diets, pills, and exercise. Not only do I not lose weight, but I keep gaining.  I have never been a big eater and still don't eat much.  Yet, I am now about 270 lbs at 6 ft.  My wife eats twice as much as I do and is less active than I, yet weighs 120.  We have not had sex in 10 months.  She says part of the reason is my weight.  Obviously there has to be a problem with my metabolism, but that can't be the only reason.  There has to be something I can do.  I don't have the money to pay a nutritionist or anyone like that.  I used to be 215 and would love to be there again, but nothing seems to work.

December 16, 2007, 4:36 pm CST

I will be support for you.

Quote From: chookab

I am a 33 year old mum of two adorable boys. I have lost 30 pounds since the birth of my younger son (Feb). I have another 15-20 to go but have totally lost the plot! I am self destructive and feel I have lost all motivation which is making me feel so bad about myself. How do I get back on track? My weight has always been a major 'Thorn in my side'. As a former ballet dancer I was taught that thinner is best and struggled with bulimia in my teens. I am very aware of my weight but at the moment I eat everything in sight. I feel like I can't start my diet until all the 'bad' food is out of the house, so I eat everything and then go and buy more! I feel disgusting but can't seem to stop. Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom or experiences they would like to share to help? I would appreciate any help and welcome your comments.

Hi, I can help you if you contact me at cav73@comcast.net.  I will be your friend that you can talk to anytime you want, and do whatever is in my power to help you.

LOL,    Celeste

December 16, 2007, 4:37 pm CST

Quote From: coachjoeh

About eight years ago I injured my lower back.  While being examined by a chiropractor, I was told that I had a muscle imbalance.  He said my hips only rotated 20% where normal people's go to 40% when  bending over.  This has caused the muscles in my lower back to be extremely loose causing the muscles around my stomach be super tight.  He said because of this I would not be able to lose weight.  Since that time I have put on about 40 pounds.  I have tried diets, pills, and exercise. Not only do I not lose weight, but I keep gaining.  I have never been a big eater and still don't eat much.  Yet, I am now about 270 lbs at 6 ft.  My wife eats twice as much as I do and is less active than I, yet weighs 120.  We have not had sex in 10 months.  She says part of the reason is my weight.  Obviously there has to be a problem with my metabolism, but that can't be the only reason.  There has to be something I can do.  I don't have the money to pay a nutritionist or anyone like that.  I used to be 215 and would love to be there again, but nothing seems to work.

Hi, I can help you if you contact me at cav73@comcast.net.  I will be your friend that you can talk to anytime you want, and do whatever is in my power to help you.

LOL,    Celeste

December 16, 2007, 4:39 pm CST

Quote From: coachjoeh

LOL,    Celeste

January 3, 2008, 5:47 pm CST

Thanks.

Quote From: cxvandyk

LOL,    Celeste

Not sure how you can help, but always good to talk to someone.  Don't have to worry about problems with my wife since I first posted here. She took off almost one month ago.  Anyway, you can reach me at tele_com_man2002@yahoo.com

Thanks again.

February 22, 2008, 3:08 pm CST

Ready to eat healthy

Hello my name is Natalie.  I am a 25 year old single mother of 1 and a step daughter who I still consider mine. Unfortunately I had to move back in with my parents due to complications from the divorce.  I am an emotional eater and eat a lot out of boredom.  I do really really well for most of the day.  In the afternoon I get hungry and crave chocolate or ice cream.  How do I get past those cravings and not give in to the temptation.  I know that I need to just eliminate them completely but my parents keep this kind of food in their home.  Anyone have any ideas?  Help!

February 25, 2008, 2:22 pm CST

needs help

I am a 30 year old women who has struggled with weight loss all her life. Yo-Yo dieting. The last time I got up to 360 pounds. The highest I have ever been. It was because of a combination of the divorce and this medicine I was on. Since then I lost 70 pounds on LA weight loss. It was a good plan for me at the time because every morsel of food is figured out for you. I need control in my life because I always feel like life is spinning out of control. I am now on Weight Watchers and lost an additional 16 pounds. What I like about it is it teaches you how to eat and nothing is banned. I still need to lose quite a bit. But I have two concerns. Is there anything I can do as I lose the weight with the sagging stretched out skin? Is there an exercise or something else?  And two I am scared I am not going to be able to stop losing weight and stay at a healthy one. My mother is bulimic and I often binge. And I think if I could force myself to purge I definitely would. Right now when I look in the mirror I see a blob. I have a hard time looking at my face. If I do so it is up close looking for imperfections in my skin. I also suffer from bipolar disorder and panic attacks. The medicine's make losing weight a bigger challenge. And when I am horrible depressed it is hard to motivate myself to do something for myself. I hate myself. Does anyone have any answers?

February 26, 2008, 4:55 pm CST

Maybe This can help a bit...

Quote From: cantfindit

I am a 30 year old women who has struggled with weight loss all her life. Yo-Yo dieting. The last time I got up to 360 pounds. The highest I have ever been. It was because of a combination of the divorce and this medicine I was on. Since then I lost 70 pounds on LA weight loss. It was a good plan for me at the time because every morsel of food is figured out for you. I need control in my life because I always feel like life is spinning out of control. I am now on Weight Watchers and lost an additional 16 pounds. What I like about it is it teaches you how to eat and nothing is banned. I still need to lose quite a bit. But I have two concerns. Is there anything I can do as I lose the weight with the sagging stretched out skin? Is there an exercise or something else?  And two I am scared I am not going to be able to stop losing weight and stay at a healthy one. My mother is bulimic and I often binge. And I think if I could force myself to purge I definitely would. Right now when I look in the mirror I see a blob. I have a hard time looking at my face. If I do so it is up close looking for imperfections in my skin. I also suffer from bipolar disorder and panic attacks. The medicine's make losing weight a bigger challenge. And when I am horrible depressed it is hard to motivate myself to do something for myself. I hate myself. Does anyone have any answers?

I am not a professional and I don't know everything, but maybe I can help a little. At fourteen I was 233 pounds.  I have been fighting weight for most of my life and continue today still. It is a hard process! It is something you have to work really hard on. I also have depression and I understand what it is like to have it all piled up on you. It is horrible and people don't understand unless they have been there. You said you have lost 70 pounds. That is amazing! Try lifting a 50 pound bag of dog food and add 20 pounds more to that. I had to do that ( I lost 50 pounds) to really feel what I lost, not just see the numbers.  You also mentioned you were having trouble with sagging skin. You probably lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. Your skin could not keep up with the loss.  Talk to your doctor about it, maybe they have some ideas.  You also said that your mother is bulimic and that you would purge if you can. I know I cannot stop you from that. It is your personal choice. Before you do, look up bulima and get to know more about it. I think it would hurt you more and you don't need anymore hurt in your life :) Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor! They are there to help you. If you think you are in danger of an eating disorder get some help. Support from others can make you feel a lot better. If you don't like your doctor find one that you do like. I know all of this is not easy at all. To be dealing with this you sound like a very strong person, so don't give up. I wish you the best ! :)

February 29, 2008, 10:39 am CST

I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT

Quote From: n_luckie3

Hello my name is Natalie.  I am a 25 year old single mother of 1 and a step daughter who I still consider mine. Unfortunately I had to move back in with my parents due to complications from the divorce.  I am an emotional eater and eat a lot out of boredom.  I do really really well for most of the day.  In the afternoon I get hungry and crave chocolate or ice cream.  How do I get past those cravings and not give in to the temptation.  I know that I need to just eliminate them completely but my parents keep this kind of food in their home.  Anyone have any ideas?  Help!

I TOO CRAVE CHOCOLATE AND ICE CREAM. I HAVE FOUND ON MY JOURNEY OF WEIGHT LOSS - AND I HAVE BEEN ON ALMOST EVERY DIET OUT THERE -  IF YOU DENY YOURSELF WHAT YOU ARE CRAVING YOU ARE GOING TO CONTINUE LOOKING FOR IT IN OTHER FOODS UNTIL YOU COME FULL CIRCLE AND END UP EATING THE ICE CREAM. CHOOSE SOMETHING LOW OR NO FAT AND LOW SUGAR (IF POSSIBLE) AND TAKE THE TIME TO ENJOY IT. SAVOR IT. EITHER TAKE ONE BOWL AND THAT IS IT. BUT IF YOU LOSE CONTROL WHEN YOU HAVE A TUB OF IT, BUY THE INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED. SKINNY COW, WEIGHT WATCHERS AND OTHERS TO NAME A FEW ARE OK. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE CONSISTENCY OR FLAVOR DONT GIVE UP. KEEP TRYING THINGS OUT UNTIL YOU FIND THE ONE THAT YOU DO LIKE. I DID. I HAVE COME TO TERMS WITH THE FACT THAT I NEED ICE CREAM EVERY DAY. IT STEMS BACK TO MY CHILDHOOD. WHENEVER MY MOTHER WAS SUPPOSED TO VISIT -  EVERY OTHER SUNDAY - LAST MINUTE SHE WOULD CANCEL AND THEN MY DAD TO MAKE US FEEL BETTER WOULD TAKE US TO CARVEL. ICE CREAM MAKES ME FEEL GOOD. I HAVE ACCEPTED THAT AND ALLOW MYSELF TO ENJOY IT. THAT IS WHY I LIKE THE DIET I AM ON NOW. THERE ARE NO FOODS THAT AREN'T ALLOWED. EVERYTHING IN  MODERATION. IT DOESNT FEEL LIKE A DIET. I FEEL LIKE I AM FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE LEARNING HOW TO EAT.

First | Prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Next | Last