Message Boards

Topic : Diet

Number of Replies: 372
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:57 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you a low-carb disciple? Is low-fat your mantra? What works for you when dieting? Share advice and tips for a healthy diet with others!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 15, 2008, 12:55 pm CDT

need helpful tips for weightloss

hi, my name is megan and im 16 years old. I am currently on a diet and have been on it for 1 year . i have lost a total of 75 pounds. i went from 231 with a pant size of 20, to 156 with a pant size of 12. I am still striving for that exra 30-40 pounds and would like some advice, i am also haveing trouble with my gut and thoghs?

March 31, 2008, 1:04 pm CDT

Frustrated

Quote From: megan16

hi, my name is megan and im 16 years old. I am currently on a diet and have been on it for 1 year . i have lost a total of 75 pounds. i went from 231 with a pant size of 20, to 156 with a pant size of 12. I am still striving for that exra 30-40 pounds and would like some advice, i am also haveing trouble with my gut and thoghs?

Hey, My name is Noel and I am 17 years old and currently weigh 255 pounds.  I hate my body and everything about it.  There is nothing I would love more than to lose weight.  Every day I try to find diet plans but everything costs money.  I honestly want to die sometimes.  I really need some help.  If anyone has a diet plan that is successful.. please, please, just email it to me. Please.  My email is industrial_grl@hotmail.com and I couldn't be more happy if someone email's me their plan.  Please help me.  I am sick of being overweight and having it destroy my life.

April 29, 2008, 2:51 pm CDT

Cleansers....

I have a question.  Has anyone tried colon cleansers?  I'm thinking of doing it because I've heard good things, about how it's supposed to detox you, clean out parasites, mucus, etc, and enhance your energy levels (which I need), as well as regulate your system.

I recently bought one OTC at this vitamin shop that has Acidophilis, peppermint, black cohosh, cayenne, etc, because I don't want to totally strip my system of vitamins, minerals or natural bacteria (I need to get some yogurt also).  The lady at the store said that it helped her IBS, but it made her feel like she had the flu and really weak.  Also, I'm worried that the cascara sagrada (sp?) is going to give me bad cramps (like a stimulant laxative), because I'm not a big fan of pain.  Does anyone know if regular colon cleansing can contribute to colon cancer later on? 

May 19, 2008, 9:09 pm CDT

From Tonya

Quote From: gwarrior6

I have a question.  Has anyone tried colon cleansers?  I'm thinking of doing it because I've heard good things, about how it's supposed to detox you, clean out parasites, mucus, etc, and enhance your energy levels (which I need), as well as regulate your system.

I recently bought one OTC at this vitamin shop that has Acidophilis, peppermint, black cohosh, cayenne, etc, because I don't want to totally strip my system of vitamins, minerals or natural bacteria (I need to get some yogurt also).  The lady at the store said that it helped her IBS, but it made her feel like she had the flu and really weak.  Also, I'm worried that the cascara sagrada (sp?) is going to give me bad cramps (like a stimulant laxative), because I'm not a big fan of pain.  Does anyone know if regular colon cleansing can contribute to colon cancer later on? 

Hi how are you I have tried the colon cleaner for 5days and it did not work like the said it would may be  I should have tried it longer It did not work for me but  ever one is different

May 23, 2008, 12:37 pm CDT

ADVICE OR SUPPORT PLEASE

My name is Terri and I'm 35yrs old..  I'm a single stay at home mom with two great kids.

I have been struggling with my weight for about the last twelve yrs. I guess that I would say that it started after I was hit by a car when I was pregnant with my daughter and I never really went back down to the weight that I was when I first got pregnant.

My weight at the time was 112lbs.

Now I weigh about 180lbs but I don't feel comfortable with my weight.  I have a hard time walking from my house to my neighbor's house which is only two doors away.

I have asthma and diabetes and I really would like advice and or support on losing about 50lbs

Thank you very much

May 23, 2008, 3:28 pm CDT

Rollercoaster/blimic

Quote From: lizzymay18

I am not a professional and I don't know everything, but maybe I can help a little. At fourteen I was 233 pounds.  I have been fighting weight for most of my life and continue today still. It is a hard process! It is something you have to work really hard on. I also have depression and I understand what it is like to have it all piled up on you. It is horrible and people don't understand unless they have been there. You said you have lost 70 pounds. That is amazing! Try lifting a 50 pound bag of dog food and add 20 pounds more to that. I had to do that ( I lost 50 pounds) to really feel what I lost, not just see the numbers.  You also mentioned you were having trouble with sagging skin. You probably lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. Your skin could not keep up with the loss.  Talk to your doctor about it, maybe they have some ideas.  You also said that your mother is bulimic and that you would purge if you can. I know I cannot stop you from that. It is your personal choice. Before you do, look up bulima and get to know more about it. I think it would hurt you more and you don't need anymore hurt in your life :) Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor! They are there to help you. If you think you are in danger of an eating disorder get some help. Support from others can make you feel a lot better. If you don't like your doctor find one that you do like. I know all of this is not easy at all. To be dealing with this you sound like a very strong person, so don't give up. I wish you the best ! :)

I can never tell you how much your message touched me. This is my 1st time ever to reply  to any  of the message boards. As I read the message before yours and your reply I had tears rolling down my face. I have suffered from blimic for 15+ years, and worn a 0 jean and now I have so many health issues that it is not worth typing it all. But to take me anywhere it is just like getting a baby ready. I have asthma, Copd, all kinds of stomach problems, I can only eat a few things. I am on Steroids alot  for my lungs then I work my Butt off to lose 30 - 40 lbs and in a months time the steroids can put them back on me. I don't know how to stop the battle. I do fight myself to not be blimic...But for 3 yrs I wanted to stop and I couldn't. It was really ugly for me and my kids. So please if you haven't please don't start. I know that world is ugly  I would just like to say  to anyone who has lost 1 to 100 lbs. celebrate your success..... call a friend, go see a movie, send yourself flowers at work, pick your kids up early from school for no reason and make their day. You need to celebrate it..... really...just not with FOOD....lol... Thank you so much

May 23, 2008, 5:18 pm CDT

Hi C/C

Quote From: tonyabaddgor

Hi how are you I have tried the colon cleaner for 5days and it did not work like the said it would may be  I should have tried it longer It did not work for me but  ever one is different
I HAVE IBS... I have tried the colon cleaners/cleanzerss and everything else that way...But one way I use to abuse my body was I took laxatives everynight. Now I have learned if I drink my water and take some miralax there is no cramping or bloating and most of all NO GAS......good luck with your endever. 

June 4, 2008, 10:46 am CDT

Dieting....

Quote From: tinyangell35

My name is Terri and I'm 35yrs old..  I'm a single stay at home mom with two great kids.

I have been struggling with my weight for about the last twelve yrs. I guess that I would say that it started after I was hit by a car when I was pregnant with my daughter and I never really went back down to the weight that I was when I first got pregnant.

My weight at the time was 112lbs.

Now I weigh about 180lbs but I don't feel comfortable with my weight.  I have a hard time walking from my house to my neighbor's house which is only two doors away.

I have asthma and diabetes and I really would like advice and or support on losing about 50lbs

Thank you very much

One way I found that works for me is to increase my protein intake in relation to my overall carb/sugar intake.  When I eat protein for breakfast, I found that it makes me feel like a million bucks and I can concentrate better than when I just have cereal. 

I don't stop eating carbs/sugar altogether, but I eat more protein as a whole than I eat the other stuff.  I also have more energy for exercise when I've had protein at breakfast, although protein requires more prep time than cereal, but sometimes I put eggs in the microwave (not as good as over the stove, and "pops", but it works and it's quick).

If you have time on the weekends, you can hardboil eggs (which takes about 10-12 minutes), which is a fun way to get protein or better yet, make breakfast with the kids.   Drink plenty of water and eat fibery foods, it decreases appetite. 

As far as exercising, with your asthma, you might want to talk to your doctor about what kind of aerobic activity you can do without exacerbating your asthma.  When you know how to proceed, then start slow and set small goals that you can build on. 

Good luck, I hope you meet your weight loss goal

God Bless

June 13, 2008, 5:23 pm CDT

Advice?

I'm 14 years old, about 5 feet 8 inches, and weigh 118 lbs.  I know I'm not exactly overweight, but I am not happy with how much I weigh.  I have struggled with anorexia in the past and would like a healthier alternative so I can lose weight but not be unhealthy or endangering myself.  Any advice?

June 18, 2008, 7:26 am CDT

BMI

Quote From: grace93

I'm 14 years old, about 5 feet 8 inches, and weigh 118 lbs.  I know I'm not exactly overweight, but I am not happy with how much I weigh.  I have struggled with anorexia in the past and would like a healthier alternative so I can lose weight but not be unhealthy or endangering myself.  Any advice?

Your BMI is at 17.9, which puts you in the underweight category.  I don't think you should be on a diet to LOSE weight.  Really, you don't want to buy into extreme dieting right now because not only are you very thin, but you're also still in adolescence, where your body is growing as fast as it did when you were an infant.  You need calories to grow, to maintain your metabolism, menstruate and to be able to have the energy to be a teenager.

I'm an RN now, and I've seen girls in your situation stop menstruating, collapse, and have to be fed through an IV.  They're also harder to start and IV on because they are so dehydrated, and you don't want that because it stops your heart, and can cause damage to your liver, kidneys, and brain.  Many anorexics lose the ability to reproduce altogether from decisions they make now. 

I know, I went through a milder version of what you're going through now, and believe me, it's not worth screwing up your body because of the obsession.  I was a plump child, and grew out of my shape into a very thin one, and I never wanted to be overweight again.  But starving myself screwed my body up so bad that I was getting constant UTI's (they hurt like hell), I had no ability to focus, I had zero energy, I was passing out because I had a genetic anemia and anorexia exacerbated it, and my periods were always irregular and painful. 

Please, eat normally during this time in your life.  Worry about dieting when youre in your early 30's.

First | Prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Next | Last