Message Boards

Topic : Diet

Number of Replies: 372
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:57 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you a low-carb disciple? Is low-fat your mantra? What works for you when dieting? Share advice and tips for a healthy diet with others!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 27, 2008, 9:43 am CDT

Weight Insecurity

I am almost 15, and at about 5 feet, 2 inches tall and weigh on average about 128 pounds. I've actually lost nearly 30 pounds in the last couple of years, unnoticeably, but am still severely insecure about myself. I still want to lose weight and achieve my goal weight of 115 pounds, but am not sure how to exaclty. I tried 'diets' before, but the only way I knew how to lose weight was to just go without hardly anything. I soon realized that this method made me feel dizzy and often irritated. Now with it being summer, and having a family of 4 other people in the house with me who aren't eating as healthy as they should, it is very hard for me eat right, or to understand how to stick to a diet and to lose weight. Im also not involved in any sports, because I dont seem to be very good at anything. Im finding myself to be more and more insecure about myself and often have thoughts such as thinking it would be 'cool' to be annorexic, because i could be skinny! I know that's not a right state of mind, but I practically have a phobia of gaining weight....I just want to be happy, and healthy. I just wish I had a bit of a push, or a word for word "eating plan" because I can't seem to this myself....

June 30, 2008, 8:28 am CDT

miralax

Quote From: nascardtd

I HAVE IBS... I have tried the colon cleaners/cleanzerss and everything else that way...But one way I use to abuse my body was I took laxatives everynight. Now I have learned if I drink my water and take some miralax there is no cramping or bloating and most of all NO GAS......good luck with your endever. 
I have recently had an episode of diverticulitis.  And I also suspect I have IBS.  someone said the miralax could help with this but I do not know how much to take.  the bottle says "do not take more than 7 days"  for a full dose.  i was just wondering what your experience has been.

July 16, 2008, 10:55 am CDT

Has anyone had success with Sensa?

Can anyone give me their opinions of Sensa powder for weight loss? It is a powder used on food to suppress appetite. I would appreciate responses from people who have tried it and any recommendations. Thanks!

July 19, 2008, 9:56 pm CDT

Miralax

Quote From: ljthomas65

I have recently had an episode of diverticulitis.  And I also suspect I have IBS.  someone said the miralax could help with this but I do not know how much to take.  the bottle says "do not take more than 7 days"  for a full dose.  i was just wondering what your experience has been.
I try to take it every morning. I don't pay any  attention to the directions, my  obgyn says if it works don't change it. I hope it works for you. you can try 1/2 a dose..just to see if it helps and then try the other 1/2 if not. I found my Miralax at Sams Club to be the Cheapest, if anyone else has a idea let me know please.   I just no it is heck when we can't go. I hope this helps.

July 27, 2008, 12:28 pm CDT

the dr.phil healthy life style

I have am just finishing my second week of the quick start program for losing weight. I have been able to lose 6 pounds, which I keep reminding myself is the size of some new born babies. However, I thought I would have lost more within the 14 days? Was it totally off? I was wondering how much others lost in the 14 days. And how if it continued to work afterwards? I suppose i am just nervous that I am putting all of this effort and money (i'm a student) into this endeavour and it is not going to pay off. Any success stories that can give me the lay down on how it worked for them? Thanks!

August 14, 2008, 10:47 pm CDT

Diet

Thanks for the research info, it was very helpful! I've read a lot about the relationship between insulin resistance and stevia as well and came up with similar results. It seems to be a very safe and healthy alternative. I was very skeptical about using Stevia. I refuse to use artificial sweeteners and was searching for a healthier, natural alternative to sugar. I have researched Stevia and apparently Stevia-based sweeteners have been used in Japan since the 1970s – ever since that country banned artificial sweeteners. To this date, after being used by tens of millions of people for more than 40 years, there has not been a single consumer complaint about Stevia.

I have been using the Sweetleaf brand for several months now and absolutely love it! You can now purchase it at any Whole Foods store.

SweetLeaf can be used in hot drinks, cold drinks, is great on cereal, brings out the delicious flavors in fruits, can be used in cooking and baking, makes great-tasting desserts and is incredible in smoothies and blended drinks.

This is my favorite Stevia recipe. Enjoy!

Apple Crisp
8 servings

Ingredients
- 7 to 8 cups chopped apples (peeling is optional)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp SweetLeaf Stevia Extract Powder
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup apple juice or blend

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13" baking dish. Place the apples in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the lemon juice. Mix the vanilla, Stevia extract, flour, peanut butter (if using), cinnamon, and salt into the apples. Pour the fruit juice into the bottom of the dish. Spoon in the apple mixture. Spread the topping (recipe below) over the apples so it is evenly distributed. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. If the topping gets done before the apples, cover pan with foil the last 15 minutes of baking.

Topping

Ingredients
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup chopped nuts and seeds
- 1/4 tsp SweetLeaf Stevia Extract Powder
- 3/4 tsp SweetLeaf Stevia Concentrate
- 2 tablespoons oil

Mix the oats, chopped nuts and seeds, Stevia extract, and Stevia concentrate together in a bowl. Sprinkle and stir in the oil.

(Excerpted with permission from "Stevia: naturally sweet recipes for desserts, drinks and more!" by Rita DePuydt - Book Publishing Co.)

August 19, 2008, 9:41 am CDT

stevia

Quote From: runner85

Thanks for the research info, it was very helpful! I've read a lot about the relationship between insulin resistance and stevia as well and came up with similar results. It seems to be a very safe and healthy alternative. I was very skeptical about using Stevia. I refuse to use artificial sweeteners and was searching for a healthier, natural alternative to sugar. I have researched Stevia and apparently Stevia-based sweeteners have been used in Japan since the 1970s ever since that country banned artificial sweeteners. To this date, after being used by tens of millions of people for more than 40 years, there has not been a single consumer complaint about Stevia.

I have been using the Sweetleaf brand for several months now and absolutely love it! You can now purchase it at any Whole Foods store.

SweetLeaf can be used in hot drinks, cold drinks, is great on cereal, brings out the delicious flavors in fruits, can be used in cooking and baking, makes great-tasting desserts and is incredible in smoothies and blended drinks.

This is my favorite Stevia recipe. Enjoy!

Apple Crisp
8 servings

Ingredients
- 7 to 8 cups chopped apples (peeling is optional)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp SweetLeaf Stevia Extract Powder
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup apple juice or blend

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13" baking dish. Place the apples in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the lemon juice. Mix the vanilla, Stevia extract, flour, peanut butter (if using), cinnamon, and salt into the apples. Pour the fruit juice into the bottom of the dish. Spoon in the apple mixture. Spread the topping (recipe below) over the apples so it is evenly distributed. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. If the topping gets done before the apples, cover pan with foil the last 15 minutes of baking.

Topping

Ingredients
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup chopped nuts and seeds
- 1/4 tsp SweetLeaf Stevia Extract Powder
- 3/4 tsp SweetLeaf Stevia Concentrate
- 2 tablespoons oil

Mix the oats, chopped nuts and seeds, Stevia extract, and Stevia concentrate together in a bowl. Sprinkle and stir in the oil.

(Excerpted with permission from "Stevia: naturally sweet recipes for desserts, drinks and more!" by Rita DePuydt - Book Publishing Co.)

I've started using SweetLeaf Sweetener with the stevia plant recently and it has changed my diet and helped me lose weight. It works really well because it has no calories, no carbs and no glycemic index - ideal for anyone!

I found these videos on YouTube on SweetLeaf and stevia while i was surfing the site the other day:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6wwMAe_Hi0k

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s5ILDC5Cx_o

August 26, 2008, 10:55 am CDT

any1 know a diet and excirsise that doesnt take much time?

Hey Dr. Phil and everyone else! I am 16 years old about to turn 17 in a month. I love the Dr. phil show! I am a HUGE FAN!!! I always sit down and watch the show when i get out of school or late at night when my husband gets home from work he sits down with me and watches it. We both are huge fans.  The shows have taughted me so much in alot of aspects.  I am writing because i been trying to lose weight for a very long time, about my whole life i been overweight but when i was 15 I started to lose some weight but then i got pregnant and had my daughter which she is the best thing ever! When i first got pregnant i weighed 116 lb but at my 9th month of pregnancy i weighed 170 pounds with maybe a little bit more then when i gave birth I weighed 150 pounds  and now my daughter is one years old and i still cant put that weigh off.. i been trying exercising and diets and I just cant take the inches and pounds off.. I tried the cabbage soup diet and the 3 days diets the whole month diets and i just lose maybe even just one pound. I know my weight is very unhealthy for my age and even my height because im very short but i just cant find something that works! with school and my daughter and husband i have little to no time to exercise but im willing to do it. If anyone knows of a fast way to lose weight and keep it off and even excersises that dont take up much time please help ! i always feel so bad about my body that i just need to lose weight to feel and look good.i hope someone can understand. thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

thank you! ,

Stephany!

September 10, 2008, 2:05 pm CDT

I need help & encouragement!

Hey y'all!  It's Ashley Michelle!  I'm currently watching the dr.phil show, of course and I honestly believe it's proof that God answers prayers through other people.  I have been praying for strength, encouragement, and knowledge to know what to do to help me lose weight!  I'm 5'5 and weigh 145 lbs.  I have the body type that people call "bottom heavy."  My nic name is 'J.Lo' and I'm known for my thickness...and I hate it!!  My dream weight is to weigh anywhere between 120-125lbs.  But it seems no matter what I do, I can't seem to get there.  Trust me when I say, I do try.  I'm a health freak and a working out-aholic.  I work out 5-6 days a week which consists of elliptical running of 30-60 minutes, all different kinds of abdomen work outs, toning of my arms, and of course squats for toning and slimming and other awkward positioned exercises to slim down my bottom half.  I eat 5-6 SMALL meals a day.  I begin eating at 6:30a.m. and continue eating every two to three hours through out the day and I'm done eating by the latest of 8p.m.  I eat fruits, veggies, peanut butter teaspoons, chicken, turkey and drink much much water daily.  I just can't drop twenty pounds.  Please someone help!

September 13, 2008, 8:11 am CDT

Come on!!!

I am a freshman in high school, and plenty of the most popular people have a gut and they let it hang loose for the world to see. i am 14 and 140 pounds and i don't hate the way i look. i have great friends, plenty of  interested guys, and all is well. So do not think for one second that you have to be thin in order to get the guy  you want. Guys want a girl they can hold on to and one that will listen. so instead of  loosing a coupple inches off your waist, listen to what they want

First | Prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Next | Last