Message Boards

Topic : Diet

Number of Replies: 372
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 12:35:57 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you a low-carb disciple? Is low-fat your mantra? What works for you when dieting? Share advice and tips for a healthy diet with others!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 2, 2005, 7:38 pm CST

Fat but not ugly!

Hi.... I'm nicely rounded but don't think I'm ugly because of it.... Still like myself, but don't like the extra uninvited fat that's holding onto me..... So you see I need help. 

November 3, 2005, 7:01 am CST

I like your attitude!

Quote From: giffomia

Hi.... I'm nicely rounded but don't think I'm ugly because of it.... Still like myself, but don't like the extra uninvited fat that's holding onto me..... So you see I need help. 

And here's another thought I've read on these boards- don't "lose" the weight that's holding onto you.
Give it away!

November 3, 2005, 3:15 pm CST

Fat but not ugly!

Quote From: ritehere

And here's another thought I've read on these boards- don't "lose" the weight that's holding onto you.
Give it away!

That's so cool.... Thank you. 

I'm going to give all my uninvited weight that's holding onto me "AWAY."  

Living in Australis, Dr Phil's shows are running during the day, so most of us are unable to see them, unless you take a day off work or you are sick.  Luck was on my side that day, I was sick! I would like to purchase...... Dr Phil's Diet Plan.... or is it in the Dr Phil's Unlimited Weight Loss Book, I have never seen it in our Book Stores?  

November 9, 2005, 8:19 am CST

Yes, it's in his book.

Quote From: giffomia

That's so cool.... Thank you. 

I'm going to give all my uninvited weight that's holding onto me "AWAY."  

Living in Australis, Dr Phil's shows are running during the day, so most of us are unable to see them, unless you take a day off work or you are sick.  Luck was on my side that day, I was sick! I would like to purchase...... Dr Phil's Diet Plan.... or is it in the Dr Phil's Unlimited Weight Loss Book, I have never seen it in our Book Stores?  

You can order it here on the website, go to the store. Or you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, Barnes and Noble or other booksellers. E-Bay is good for books too, (but I've been burned on other stuff!)

November 9, 2005, 9:33 am CST

This is the week!

I lost 50lbs 1 1/2 years ago, mostly on my own. I got within 10 lbs of my goal and stopped. I've gained back 25 lbs since then. I had bought Dr Phil's ULTIMATE WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTIONS because I was helping my sister lose weight, but just glossed over it because I didn't feel I needed it. I had most of those keys down. HA!

I started reading it on Monday, and in the very first chapter is says that if you don't incorporate ALL of the keys into your life, you probably won't be successful in the long term. He's certainly right in my case. I've read the first two chapters and I'm staying with that for now, I'm taking the rest of the week to define my goals and get them down on paper. Like the doc says, you have to know your goal intimately, how it looks, how it feels, what experiences it contains. I'm including all of that in my written goal. I'll be here for the rest of the week if anybody wants to get the book and join me.

Since this is the diet board, I will list some of my food hang-ups. I have a sensitivity to wheat and wheat based foods. They cause me to retain water and give me gas. After bingeing they can lead to groggy, fuzzy states, bad sleep and huge weight gains. Sounds like punishment, but I'm drawn to them, I crave breads and baked goods. My other problem is a sluggish thyroid. It's not enough to be treated with meds, but I have low energy and feel cold if I don't get enough meat. I've done extensive reading on the care and feeding of your thryroid, all the literature points to B vitamins, and lots of them. The only foods that give you ALL of the B's in one place are meats and fish. When I eat 23 to 25 grams of protein per meal or 69 to 75 grams per day, I feel more energetic and warm. I know this is not everybody's issue, it's an individual quirk of my physical makeup. But if we don't know what works for us, we can slowly undermine our health. I'm also prone to yeast infections, so I don't take antibiotics unless I'm REALLY sick, as they kill off all of your bacteria, not just the infection, and can therefore lead to overgrowth of yeast. Higher protein amounts and limiting breads also helps this condition. I eat plenty of vegetables and fruits. I limit the juices though, as they are concentrated fruits and high in sugar. I drink plenty of water and a variety of teas. I have the occaisional glass of wine, 2 or 3 a week, but will initially cut that out too to get a good start on eating better.

So far, I know my weight goal is around 140. The number is not so important as gaining a healthy waist to hip ratio. I'm in the "apple" category.

November 14, 2005, 6:14 am CST

Hi.....

Quote From: ritehere

You can order it here on the website, go to the store. Or you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, Barnes and Noble or other booksellers. E-Bay is good for books too, (but I've been burned on other stuff!)

Thank you...  : )  

November 15, 2005, 10:42 am CST

Second week.

I lost 3 1/2 lbs last week on my first week. I know this is mostly water weight, but it still feels good. This week will be a little bit harder, as I begin to "shave" the flab. I've had an eating flub yesterday, I was at a meeting and had a couple of cookies. In the past that would have ruined the whole plan, I would have gone home, had a binge with whatever was handy and called myself all sorts of names. Then I would have slept badly, got up feeling like crap and gone on to another day of calling myself a failure.

All that because of 2 cookies!?  Not anymore. I stopped after those 2, went home and got right back on track. I feel good this morning, and everythings still a "go". It's just food. WE"RE the ones who make it the end of the world.

November 20, 2005, 9:56 am CST

End second week

I've ended my second week, finished chapter 4- Right Thinking. Upon weighing myself, I found I've lost another 1 1/2 lbs. My first thought was "I could have done better! I ate some things last week that I shouldn't have." But the thing is, I didn't let my slip-ups lead to a full binge, or giving up on my goal. In the past I was prone to this type of thinking, but not so much anymore. Each time I goofed, I would stop the behavior and get away, or heavily pepper some food I was tempted to finish, whatever it took.
Yes, I could have lost more, but I'm proud to say I lost weight and am still in the game. I overcame my impulses and momentary wants for the better long term goal. I'm happy with myself.

I heard this a long time ago and have always remembered it and applied it to myself. When you back into something with your car, say a fence post, you wouldn't keep bashing that post because now your car is "ruined" would you? Why would you treat yourself worse than your car by bingeing because you've had a slight accident? Be your own best friend.

December 3, 2005, 8:00 pm CST

Re: Weight Loss

Hi,  

I wasn't sure where to post this, as I am new to the board. I am 16 years old, and would like to lose weight. Family genetics have not helped me. I was thin up until about the age of eight, when I gained weight dramatically over three months. Since then, I have been gaining, gaining and gaining. I would like to lose about 45-50 pounds, and get rid of a few pant sizes and get rid of my ucky, yucky gut.  

I recently came off the anti-depressant, Celexa, about a month ago, and have already gained about 10 pounds since being off it. I was told it may happen.  

I have been writing down what I have been eating, and how much I eat, but I can't help eating... when I'm stressed, I eat, when I'm sad, I eat. I don't want to keep gaining weight for the rest of my life, or I won't enjoy life much at all!  

I am physically active ( I ride horses, walk a lot... about 5 days a week...) What other things should I be doing, especially to get rid of the fat, yuck and ucky gut?  

I get made fun of because of my weight, and want to change that. But most of all, I want to change my weight because I am utterly disgusted with myself, and cannot go on living like this.  

Please help!  

December 5, 2005, 11:53 am CST

Diet

Quote From: someone01

Hi,  

I wasn't sure where to post this, as I am new to the board. I am 16 years old, and would like to lose weight. Family genetics have not helped me. I was thin up until about the age of eight, when I gained weight dramatically over three months. Since then, I have been gaining, gaining and gaining. I would like to lose about 45-50 pounds, and get rid of a few pant sizes and get rid of my ucky, yucky gut.  

I recently came off the anti-depressant, Celexa, about a month ago, and have already gained about 10 pounds since being off it. I was told it may happen.  

I have been writing down what I have been eating, and how much I eat, but I can't help eating... when I'm stressed, I eat, when I'm sad, I eat. I don't want to keep gaining weight for the rest of my life, or I won't enjoy life much at all!  

I am physically active ( I ride horses, walk a lot... about 5 days a week...) What other things should I be doing, especially to get rid of the fat, yuck and ucky gut?  

I get made fun of because of my weight, and want to change that. But most of all, I want to change my weight because I am utterly disgusted with myself, and cannot go on living like this.  

Please help!  

The first step to sticking with your weight loss goal is to gain a better overall outlook of yourself. You won't stay motivated by beating yourself up or holding on to a negative self image. I am 21 yrs old looking to lose about 50 pounds myself. I have tried so many things and never really was able to stick with them because I had no support. I was always down on myself and I could never seem to be happy with myself. I ran across another support group like this one where the people have been very positive and encourage me to stick with it. Do you have anyone in your life that will help you adopt an overrall more positive attitude? If not then I would be more than happy to offer you some long distance support. 

my email addy is skyy_blue84@yahoo.com 

do you have an instant messengers? I would love to talk to you 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last